Minor Traits contest

TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
edited February 2013 in North of Thera
As mentioned previously, we're putting in some new traits and changing some existing ones around in the very near future. I'm going to open the floor for suggestions for small, fun minor traits for potential inclusion in the upcoming release.

Some notes:
  • The trait should have no combat implications.
  • The trait should not mimic an existing class ability or artefact.
  • Should appeal to a wide variety of people
Depending on the number of submissions, I'll pick up to five of the best and they'll be added to the game, as well as a globe of shifting continents as a personal prize.

Comments

• DaslinDaslin The place with the oxygen
    SHUT UP SHUT UP!!! -Name.

A small ability to allow you to completely silence babbling idiots(I.E. idjits who speak nonsense over CT) for a short time. -Ability

so useful in Cyrene.

And no. Sadly, I'm not kidding.
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    As nice as it'd be, you'd get the very same babbling idiots muting everyone else for the lulz.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • Island trader - Similar to Easy rider, pay reduced docking fees at harbours. Half-price might be a bit too much for the expensive ones, but maybe 25% off or something.

Gladiator - Pay reduced arena fees. Not sure if this would work, since I don't really know how the fees for city arenas are set. Might have to be just Delos, in which case I'm not sure how worthwhile it would be.
  • KenwayKenway San Francisco
    I like @Eld's Gladiator thing. I would totally use that.  Half Delos arena fees. Not cities though that would take away a lot of gold.

Minuteman - Reduced balance cost for wearing and removing armour.

O' Captain my Captain - Reduces crew wages slightly. (something low like 2-5%? I imagine this adds up fairly quickly so keeping it very low to keep it fair.)

Strict Host - You make sure your loyals clean their plates. Feedbags and larders stay full slightly longer. (maybe make these seperate)

Lifeguard - You swim slightly faster.

- Limb Counter - Fracture Relapsing -
    "Honestly, I just love that it counts limbs." - Mizik Corten
  • @Eld I like the first one, but as you yourself pointed out, second one isn't really possible. Arena fees are set by a culture aide of the city in question, and those fees go into the city coffers. Because its income for a player-run organization, it wouldn't really be fair to have a trait that cut the fee for those arenas, as that would be taking money away from the city.

• Yeah, I figured that was the case. Oh well.
  • Can't think of a good name for this one, but perhaps one that gives a small bonus to essence from offering.
    Eld said:
    Can't think of a good name for this one, but perhaps one that gives a small bonus to essence from offering.
    Devout

• Kenway said:
    Eld said:
    Can't think of a good name for this one, but perhaps one that gives a small bonus to essence from offering.
    Devout
    Well, yeah, but that's already taken.
  • edited February 2013
    Traveler: You have used the Landmarks so much that you travel around with them more efficiently. Balance time for moving using Landmarks reduced.

Housekeeper: You take care of your belongings. Decay time for clothes and jewelry slowed by a % while they are worn by the trait-bearer. (This does not mean the actual months' durability gets increased; merely that while in the trait-bearer's possession, these items decay slower than usual.)

Protector: If the trait-bearer is a member of his or her City's military, (s)he goes through the process of Embracing Death faster if killed on the grounds of his or her home City. Any actual experience loss is unaffected.

Tolerance: You really need to lay off the pipe. Harmful effects from smoking cactus weed and using gleam are slower to take effect.

Thin blood: For shame, you can't even handle your liquor! The trait-bearer is affected by alcohol FASTER than normal, requiring less booze to become intoxicated. Tolerance to alcohol, for the bearer of this trait, builds slower than normal.

Faithful owner. You're so good to Fluffy that Fluffy just RUNS to you! The trait-bearer may WHISTLE PET to summon his or her pets to him or her, if on the same plane as the pets. Trait has no bearing on anything other than loyals classified as pets.

• edited February 2013
    Clear-headed: Winners don't do drugs. 

Can either be one of two things.

-Reduce the duration of the cactus weed 'stoned' affliction, or;
    -Become immune to the cactus weed 'stoned' affliction

• edited February 2013
    Since it seems to be the only one missing, Master Venomist/Milker. Either additional doses into the vials or lower the balance cost?
    Less endurance cost for milking sounds a lot better to me.

EDIT: Perhaps have it take 50% less endurance?
  • Extraordinaire Folder: Adds an extra facet to the Master Crystal when you fold a pearl into it
    Only appeals to magi, albeit I suppose you could let a non Magi picking it, gain the ability to fold pearls (but not refine), lets them help their House when a magi isn't around.

Fast recovery:
    Reduces the time spend spend in Thoth's hall.

Pipe stopper:
    Gives you 1 or 2 extra use of a pipe and/or lets the pipe stay lit longer
  • Seldin said:
    Since it seems to be the only one missing, Master Venomist/Milker. Either additional doses into the vials or lower the balance cost?
    Less endurance cost for milking sounds a lot better to me.

EDIT: Perhaps have it take 50% less endurance?
    The problem with extra doses is that Loki's Tear already gives double doses whilst milking - though this could give a % chance to do that (which would still be nice if the chance were high enough).  Lower endurance cost would be great, though, since that's the time consuming factor more than balance - for me, at least.

So yes, this please!
    edited February 2013
    To consolidate @Penwize 's that I liked since Serapis said we get five tops.

Placebo - Any curative upon consumption has a small chance not to be used.

• Maybe an edit to Airborne to actually grant proper stable flying like the lvl 50 Atavian trait?
    "Faded away like the stars in the morning,
     Losing their light in the glorious sun,
     Thus would we pass from this earth and its toiling,
     Only remembered for what we have done."

• edited February 2013
    Excavator - Slightly decreased balance on digging.
    Deep Lungs - Reduces the endurance cost of shouting.
    Tuck and Roll - Removed chance of breaking legs when stepping from the trees to non-forest rooms.

Oh, and another one:

Hero of a Thousand Names - Changing your title does not cost others gold.

• What's the contest end time?
  • Kenway said:
    Eld said:
    More-Devout
    How about this:
    Zealot/True Believer - 10% boost to essence when offering, but not when sanctifying or defiling.

Other ideas:
    Tight Rein - Like Airborne, but for when you're on a flying mount (unless this already applies).

Commanding Voice - Allows sea captains to control their ship from any outside location on the ship, not just the bow or quarterdeck (so up in the mast, for example).

Distinguished Citizen - Lets you WALK TO another citymate, like In Service does for housemates.
  • edited February 2013
    Directional Hearing - Hearing from which area a shout came (excluding divine shouts).

Surveyor - SURVEY showing locations from a greater distance in the wilderness.

Linguistic Talent - Improves your understanding (but not speaking/writing) of every language by five degrees of fluency. This includes languages you haven't studied at all yet (which will therefore be understood at a "well below basic" level).

Inner Clock - Be able to tell the time in underground locations with the same accuracy as otherwise.
  • edited February 2013
    Penwize said:
    Ventriloquist: The ability to, for any wielded item, SAY AS <item> <thing>, to make it appear as if that item were speaking.  Example, if someone is wielding doll123456 "A plush bear doll", and they entered SAY AS doll Hello!, then others would see: A plush bear doll held by Person says, "Hello!" in standard says colours.  (Because why not?)
    Because in the majority of cases it would make absolutely no sense and be stupid.
    Wysteria said:
    Maybe an edit to Airborne to actually grant proper stable flying like the lvl 50 Atavian trait
    This already exists as an artefact.
  • edited February 2013
    Pied Piper - One extra rat per room/subdivision/sewer

Resurrection - Slight decrease in resurrection cost of sunlight/essence/etc

Epicurean - A chance to get a damage versus denizens bonus from eating player-made food.

Bi-lingual - Gold cost in language learning is decreased.

Quester - Small gold/experience boost for doing quests.

Master Concoctionist/Alchemist - Takes less herbs/minerlas to refill vials.

(I'm sure I'll edit this at some point to add more)

This discussion has been closed.