New Auctions

Comments

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    Yeah but nobody who won would ever be willing to give up what they were lucky enough to win if the auction was to be redone with perfect timing. :)

Future auctions apparently won't have this issue.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• Kyrra said:
    Yeah but nobody who won would ever be willing to give up what they were lucky enough to win if the auction was to be redone with perfect timing.
    I would be a lot happier with losing because it was redone due to a problem than losing because it ended early while I still had another million gold left to bid.
  • Ruth said:
    Make a swimming pool filled with gold sovereigns.
    The Merchants are accepting donations to increase the deep end of our Olympic swimming pool.

Thank you.
  • Silvarien getting the blood filled clasp is great, because it either means he regrets his children or he doesn't trust their future decisions.  Had a good laugh :D

Could have got more out of the morphing weapons if they morphed instantly requiring only balance/eq and they were sold as a packaged deal, imo.

• edited February 2013
    One of them went to someone who doesn't even play anymore :P
  • Sena said:
    Kyrra said:
    Yeah but nobody who won would ever be willing to give up what they were lucky enough to win if the auction was to be redone with perfect timing.
    I would be a lot happier with losing because it was redone due to a problem than losing because it ended early while I still had another million gold left to bid.
    While I do agree that ending early sucked, why couldn't people simply go ahead and bid that 1 million? It's not like they wouldn't get the extra back if they severely overshot the ending price.

• Maximum bid auto bidding only bids in increments to keep you at the winning bid unless someone outbids your maximum. And you can increase your maximum bid before you get outbid, if you think it's going to be necessary. You only ever pay the full amount if someone is willing to run against you.
  • Swanne said:
    Maximum bid auto bidding only bids in increments to keep you at the winning bid unless someone outbids your maximum. And you can increase your maximum bid before you get outbid, if you think it's going to be necessary. You only ever pay the full amount if someone is willing to run against you.
    This is a decent point, but one of the core traits of online auctions is the 'snipe' strategy. Maybe I don't want someone to know what I'm willing to pay for the item before the final minutes. The ability to predict the end of the auction allows some measure of price control.

• edited February 2013
    Swanne said:
    Maximum bid auto bidding only bids in increments to keep you at the winning bid unless someone outbids your maximum. And you can increase your maximum bid before you get outbid, if you think it's going to be necessary. You only ever pay the full amount if someone is willing to run against you.
    It doesn't work out so nicely with multiple items.

If I had bid my full 3.2 million on auction 28, and someone attempted to bid 3 million, I would end up having to pay 3 million, even though the other two auctions for the same item are still at 2 and 2.2 million.

Instead, I bid 2.3 million on auction 28. That way, if I'm outbid on 28, I can switch to auction 27 if it's still lower.

Edit: And yes, there's also sniping, for a chance at a lower cost.
  • Sweet, I won!
  • RuthRuth Singapore
    Trey said:

Swanne said:

This is a decent point, but one of the core traits of online auctions is the 'snipe' strategy. Maybe I don't want someone to know what I'm willing to pay for the item before the final minutes. The ability to predict the end of the auction allows some measure of price control.

Man, it is for this reason I only bid for the shop at the end. Imagine my surprise when I realised I didn't have enough gold and had to borrow from everywhere!

Fully expected Katia to overbid me at the last few minutes.

"Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• edited February 2013
    Yay custom entrance/exit!

Now to sit around all tomorrow making sure I have it exactly as I want it before I send it in.

"I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again."
  • Sena said:
    Kyrra said:
    But would you be happy if you won the auction initially and fairly, only to lose it if it's redone? Sadly, this is one of those situations that no matter what course of action is taken (correct the problem and redo auction or correct the problem for the next auction), you're sticking the screws to players who made huge, huge investments. I'm not saying I disagree with a redo, if that were a possibility though. 
  • The issue is that many people didn't just keep their spare gold/credits after the auction ended, but spent it elsewhere. If the auction would be re-done or extended, those people couldn't then fully participate again, which would be just as unfair. There simply is no fair way out of the situation, once it got to this point.
  • You're right, Aerek. Let's exclude the possibility of someone with less money/free time to devote to earning credits ic winning by bidding intelligently. I don't know what I was thinking there.

• Aerek said:
    The issue I have with auction "sniping" is that you're basically trying to take advantage of the fact that the person with the leading bid isn't online, isn't paying attention, or isn't ready to re-bid higher and beat you at the last second. In a system where auto-bidding exists to give everyone a fair shot, this isn't quite "cheating," but it's not quite "fair" either.

The auctions ending early just means that the "snipers" weren't online, weren't paying attention, or weren't ready to bid higher and beat the winners at the last second, so the snipers are basically complaining that what they were planning to do to other people happened to them, instead. I apologize if I'm not sympathetic.
    That's not really accurate. It's already been explained in this thread why, though, and the people saying that the auctions ending early shouldn't have created a single problem for anyone are just being ignorant of how auctions work.

• I do my fair share of whining about things, even if it's usually a semi-troll.  But even I've had my fill of the ungratefulness, self-entitlement and general proclivity to bitch about every little thing that doesn't go people's way.

I think certain people won't be happy until the Admin decide it's just too much waaaaah!-inducing effort to do things like these auctions.

There is nothing that can be done about this other than the apology that's already been given.  Honestly, what more does the 'NOFAIR!' crowd want?
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • I would like the $855 I had to spend on Achaea back. Had the auctions not ended half an hour earlier, that $855 would still be in my bank account, as the auction for the weapons would have went to 5k+ each and I would not have won. My bid was just a 'lol' bid, as I "knew" (jokes on me) the bids were going to go much higher than what I bid, as people had told me they were going to bid much more.

I also would have won one of the blood-filled clasps instead. I would like one of those in my inventory, please.

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    Only bid what you're capable of paying. It sucks for you that you're in that position, Cooper, but...

Actually, this just isn't worth continuing.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• Iocun said:
    The only logical reason why one might bid in an auction without wanting to win is to artificially drive the price up. The only reason you might want to do that is to either help IRE, or to harm other bidders. If it was the former, be glad that you could help out IRE with your $855. If it was the latter, well, too bad - seems the wish to harm others backfired.
    Not true at all. I liked the feeling of having the winning bid. It had absolutely nothing to do with driving the price up. The multiple other people who were planning to bid in the last few minutes would have done that themselves.

I am also plenty capable of paying it, I just would have preferred not to. (Ironically, Kyrra, one of your best friends is one of the people most upset (that you gave credits to in order to win) is one of the people I've been referring to who was going to win. He's extremely pissed off he didn't get to win.)

I do agree that it's sort of a 'haha that's hilarious' moment, but if you look at it from my perspective (money aside, even) it's not so funny. I had multiple people telling me what they were planning to bid, all of which were significantly higher than the max bid I put. I wasn't driving up the price at all (Crythril wanted to win both weapons, too, but didn't get to outbid me like he planned - forgot about him until now). It was clearly stated that the auctions would close at 0:00 GMT, or very shortly after.

But, whatever - you guys can be jackasses if you want. I'm used to it by now.

• MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    And now you have a mighty morphing power sword. - yeah.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • It is a pretty sweet item. I would be less upset if I could use it. You know, being a monk and all.

• Iocun said:
    If you want to play games with your money that consist of enjoying the feel of having the winning bid for a while, but not actually participating in the auction "for real" - fine, do that. But as any game involving money, it's a gamble, and you may end up losing something.
    Yep! You're right! But losing due to multiple incorrect announce posts and not the other things you said is pretty shitty, hence the bitching. :)