Auction ideas

Comments

• edited February 2013
    Nemutaur said:
    Sylvance said:
    Nemutaur said:
    Last Will and Testament: can be used on one of the arties you own to transfer ownership to someone else permanently.
    Only problem with this as an auction item is that the price is likely to end up close, or in excess of, the cost of most artefacts.
    Why is that a problem? Most people won't be buying this to give their level 1 crit pendant to someone but maybe a really nice auction artefact they got back in the day which has never been seen since. Or perma armour of old etc.

Nobody says that the person who is getting the artefact can't pay for this 'transfer artefact', so after they win the auction you send credits to the winner so that they can claim the auction.
    Well, yeah, that's actually a far better reason for never letting this thing see the light of day than the one I posted, so well done.  Counter-snark aside, my post could have been written more clearly. I'm not saying that it will go for more than the average artefact; that's obvious. I'm saying the problem is that the value of this artefact would be based on the value of the artefact being transfered, which guarantees that the person who wins it is going to be transferring something OP (because the highest bidder will be the person bidding to transfer the most expensive artefact. Make sense?).  

Now, I would personally love to watch the forumrage that ensued when a BM or anyone-with-fullplate got their hands on the Robes of Oneiros, but I'm not sure it would be a good idea in the long run.

Then there's the back-of-house issues this would create when A puts in a winning bid of 15k-cr, and then B refuses to actually pay up the 30k-cr total for the 'transfer artefact', and the ISSUE system gets bogged down for the next 3 billion years as their OOC disagreement spills into the textworld.

As I say, I would personally love to see this get approved, so don't mind me.

ETA: Mandatory quote fail - my response in bold.

ETA: This probably isn't coming over but I actually really like the idea.  Perhaps it would work better as a SoW item with restrictions as to what it can switch ownership of?
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Sylvance said:

Melodie said:

Did these robes have... pockets?

If so, do want.

Actually. Any neat clothing items with pockets would be SUCH a huge thing. Even if it was decay and a gold auction, I would bid like hfhdghfjrdjhh.

I want robes with real pockets so much. :(

I lol'd that somebody described the most OP defensive item I think I've ever heard of, and @Melodie asked if it had pockets :D

Don't get me wrong, even without pockets, awesome robe is awesome.

It just suddenly reminded me how bloody much I want pocket robes. Or aprons with pockets, or etc.

I may be a little obsessed with the idea of pockets. Discworld Mud does it very well, and sometimes I get a little jealous. :(

And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • The Messiah robes have pockets, I think.
  • Iocun said:
    The problem is that the kind of items this would most likely be used on are the kind of items which are deliberately no longer sold, because they are now considered to be very OP or otherwise bad ideas.

Is there still anyone with an aeon net?
    No, there was only ever one of those, and they deleted it pretty quickly.

• edited February 2013

edited February 2013
    :(
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    edited February 2013
    I'm late to this conversation, but per the bloodline reset auction idea: dear god, I'm related to both @Horatio and @Cooper. I'd be throwing next year's salary at the game to reset that shit. :)

Eta: Oh wait... he was checking Cooper's bloodline. Still, I'd throw half my yearly salary away to reset it. Cooper's fine to be related to, but having about 800 siblings is irritating as all hell. I hate the fact that I let myself be talked into being bloodlined so early after creating Mosr. I had no idea that I was actually going to keep playing him at the time.

Actually, this would be the perfect Shop of Wonders item the next time a crown sale happens.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • Best solution is for artefact that permadeaths all members of your bloodline, you know, for RP consistency
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Anyone that bids more than they have deserves the consequences, imo. Should be a non-issue.

I kind of wish that Achaea had some of things from DiscworldMUD, they have really nifty options for clothing and other things, but I also appreciate the flexibility from designing from scratch as well.

Back on topic though, another thing I'd love to see on auction or even available again are containers like the dragonskin packs. I'm sad I was dormant when they were available.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• Item that lets you smudge ground runes. i.e. a wet napkin of Runic Smudging

Wonder Twin rings, pairable with the person of your choice. "Form of....!" Nevermind.

A salve of free speech - When applied, provides insulation against Amunet's mute button.

A Crown of Impatience - nudges @Cardan monthly about classleads. Conflicts with Leafy Crown of the Shrubbing.

I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • Spy's Penny - A gold sovereign which when in another player's inventory allows you to hear everything at their location.  Not blocked by being in a pack etc.

Serp can secret it. Following syntax is also available: GIVE <amount> GOLD TO <player> WITH SPYPENNY; DROP <amount> GOLD WITH SPYPENNY.  If, for instance, the amount was 15000, you would give them 15000 real gold sovereigns, plus the spy penny.

Indistinguishable from a normal coin when probed. Resets in an hour.
    No.
  • You put far too much effort into the trolling thing.
  • Sylvance said:
    Spy's Penny - A gold sovereign which when in another player's inventory allows you to hear everything at their location.  Not blocked by being in a pack etc.

Serp can secret it. Following syntax is also available: GIVE <amount> GOLD TO <player> WITH SPYPENNY; DROP <amount> GOLD WITH SPYPENNY.  If, for instance, the amount was 15000, you would give them 15000 real gold sovereigns, plus the spy penny.

I can't figure out how you'd tell that you have one. The only solution I can think of is to never keep any gold out of containers, and check your inventory for new gold every few seconds (or at least before any situation where privacy is needed). And any time you pick up gold or receive gold from another player, "drop 1 gold with spypenny" just in case.

This would be extremely overpowered against anyone who doesn't know to protect themselves against it, and completely useless against anyone who does.
  • You put far too much effort into the trolling thing.
    You put far too much effort into assuming I'm trolling.
  • Sena said:
    Sylvance said:
    Spy's Penny - A gold sovereign which when in another player's inventory allows you to hear everything at their location.  Not blocked by being in a pack etc.

I can't figure out how you'd tell that you have one. The only solution I can think of is to never keep any gold out of containers, and check your inventory for new gold every few seconds (or at least before any situation where privacy is needed). And any time you pick up gold or receive gold from another player, "drop 1 gold with spypenny" just in case.

This would be extremely overpowered against anyone who doesn't know to protect themselves against it, and completely useless against anyone who does.
    @Sena - Sorry, the syntax is only for the person who owns the artefact, or, yes it would be useless.  And it should be OP. It's an auction item. Anyway, how to fix it, or is it just dead in the water?
  • -no longer likes-
  • Sylvance said:
    @Sena - Sorry, the syntax is only for the person who owns the artefact, or, yes it would be useless.  And it should be OP. It's an auction item. Anyway, how to fix it, or is it just dead in the water?
    So even if you know about it there's no way to defend against it? It's one hour of unpreventable, unstoppable spying? That's more than just OP. Being an auction item doesn't mean that it can completely ignore any semblance of balance.

To fix it, it needs to have some sort of counter, at the very least a way to remove it once it's in your inventory, or if not then an easy, universally-available way to avoid it in the first place.
  • edited February 2013
    Aerek said:
    Auction items should not be OP. Hell, auction items should be less OP than regular artefacts, because if there's one thing that kills a free-to-play game, it's the introduction of pay-to-win perks, especially pay-to-win perks that only one person can own. (Until the next auction, of course.)

There is not one reasonable person in existence who has said, "Boy, Profit's level 2 Veil sure does make Achaea more fun and less frustrating for all involved."
    Yeah. Auction items should be things that should exist rarely, but without being OP. Something like land auctions are the perfect example of it: there's nothing OP about an out-of-subdivision house, but they still should be kept within limits, so we don't have all of Sapience turned into one huge suburb. Same goes for something like, say, those neverending health vials: not OP in itself, but must be kept very limited in order not destroy the player-to-player trade of curatives in Achaea. Ditto for custom deathsight, etc.

Things like that are, to me, the optimal kind of auction items, whereas certain others are either somewhat OP (Profit's veil, defender's band, forged item permanence, some others), or are things that would actually be perfectly reasonable to have more of (like that landstrider's visor).
  • edited February 2013
    Sena said:

Sylvance said:

So even if you know about it there's no way to defend against it? It's one hour of unpreventable, unstoppable spying? That's more than just OP. Being an auction item doesn't mean that it can completely ignore any semblance of balance.

To fix it, it needs to have some sort of counter, at the very least a way to remove it once it's in your inventory, or if not then an easy, universally-available way to avoid it in the first place.

What if the spy has to be in the same area for it to work? That way House hall etc are safe?

What's this Profits Veil i'm hearing all about?

Eta- and maybe make it so that looking at your good gives a chance of detecting it based on your Vision?
  • edited February 2013
    Sylvance said:
    What if the spy has to be in the same area for it to work? That way House hall etc are safe? What's this Profits Veil i'm hearing all about?
    Most house halls don't have a separate area, they're still within the city. And that's still not a counter, it just adds one very specific and rather uncommon situation where the severely overpowered spying ability can't be used.

Profit's veil (given to him in place of an auction item that was deemed overpowered) is like a normal veil, except normal veil owners can't see through it.

Edit:
    Sylvance said:
    Eta- and maybe make it so that looking at your good gives a chance of detecting it based on your Vision?
    It needs a way to stop it (or an extremely effective way to prevent it), not just a way to detect it. "Waiting an hour to have privacy" isn't a solution.
  • Yep, meant to add that, having successfully detected it, you can discard it. Also (and sorry if this is way off) Bell tatt should uncover it.
  • Sylvance said:
    Yep, meant to add that, having successfully detected it, you can discard it. Also (and sorry if this is way off) Bell tatt should uncover it.
    If by touching bell you can also drop the spypenny then sure, that brings it back in line again. Otherwise no, there has to be a way to prevent you being spied on for 1 full hour if you know you have the spypenny.
  • Nemutaur said:

Sylvance said:

Yep, meant to add that, having successfully detected it, you can discard it. Also (and sorry if this is way off) Bell tatt should uncover it.

If by touching bell you can also drop the spypenny then sure, that brings it back in line again. Otherwise no, there has to be a way to prevent you being spied on for 1 full hour if you know you have the spypenny.

Yep precisely what I mean. Either Bell tatt or a passive Vision check would make it enter your inventory as an item that could then be dropped, unless you'd rather keep it and Dick around with the spy.
  • Or use it as a 1 g discount when buying stuff from other people? ;)
  • Athorem said:

Or use it as a 1 g discount when buying stuff from other people? ;)

Pre-empted; it's in addition to the gold being exchanged, else it's technically a shrub-worthy Scam.

• MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    Messiah robes don't have pockets

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
This discussion has been closed.