I submitted a very short idea (#519) that I wanted to also open up to discussion to see other's thoughts on it.
The basic premise is that you create a scaling reward system for bug reporting. In my experience with such things in the past rewards are given:
- Scaled based on the impact of the bug, usually categorized by Trivial, Minor, and Major.
- Are based on the bug actually being acted upon/accepted as a bug
- Generally rewarded to the first person to report said bug
The benefit to a system that rewards bug reports is:
- More incentive to not abuse bugs (you shouldn't anyway!)
- More incentive for better written, fully formed bug reports.
- More incentive for good bug hunters to really dig deep and find things.