Bug Bounty Program

I submitted a very short idea (#519) that I wanted to also open up to discussion to see other's thoughts on it.

The basic premise is that you create a scaling reward system for bug reporting.  In my experience with such things in the past rewards are given:

• Scaled based on the impact of the bug, usually categorized by Trivial, Minor, and Major.
  • Are based on the bug actually being acted upon/accepted as a bug
  • Generally rewarded to the first person to report said bug

The benefit to a system that rewards bug reports is:

• More incentive to not abuse bugs (you shouldn't anyway!)
  • More incentive for better written, fully formed bug reports.
  • More incentive for good bug hunters to really dig deep and find things.

Thoughts?  Votes?

Thanks!

Comments

• Do we currently have a problem with bugs not being reported, or bugs in general being reported badly?
  • No, there's always a massive backlog because of how many people report things. 

• @Iocun

Good question, and I'm not entirely sure.  

Speaking for myself, it won't change whether or not I write up a bug report whenever I find something - but I wouldn't say no to earning a credit or two when I do what I would already be doing :tongue:

• edited April 2020
    Phaestus said:
    No bugs have been allowed to expire since the beginning of the year (mid-December was the last, I believe, barring a bug that caused some players in late December to receive an expiry message after their bug was already deleted as fixed or not a bug).
    I had a bug expire twice. The third time I got a generic message akin to "lol that doesn't happen" despite me showing that yes, it does actually happen. It was to do with certain doors (there's actually quite a lot) not being opened by CONFIG AUTOOPENDOORS when you're using WALKTO, so it just sits there trying to spam walk into the door multiple times per second until you either a) manually open the door, or b) stop the walkto.

Pretty certain one of the times, I even provided a rather clear log as to what was happening. As well as what I perceived to be the cause of it, given there was only one thing in common with all of those doors (and the ones it did walk through, didn't have that).

(no, they weren't locked doors. I move through them just fine walking ordinarily)
  • Syrennia said:
    Phaestus said:
    No bugs have been allowed to expire since the beginning of the year (mid-December was the last, I believe, barring a bug that caused some players in late December to receive an expiry message after their bug was already deleted as fixed or not a bug).
    I had a bug expire twice. The third time I got a generic message akin to "lol that doesn't happen" despite me showing that yes, it does actually happen. It was to do with certain doors (there's actually quite a lot) not being opened by CONFIG AUTOOPENDOORS when you're using WALKTO, so it just sits there trying to spam walk into the door multiple times per second until you either a) manually open the door, or b) stop the walkto.

Pretty certain one of the times, I even provided a rather clear log as to what was happening. As well as what I perceived to be the cause of it, given there was only one thing in common with all of those doors (and the ones it did walk through, didn't have that).

(no, they weren't locked doors. I move through them just fine walking ordinarily)
    The bug in question was a single-sentence bug filed without a log, thoroughly investigated, and manually deleted, as testing showed there were no issues with either autowalking or the doors config in a number of cases. If you would like to file a bug with a log of the issue occuring, please feel free, and we'll look into it as soon as time allows. Doing this helps us pinpoint edge cases for those low-impact and hard to pin down bugs mentioned above.