Mudlet 3.10 - even faster, Chinese display, custom log files

Faster, better, stronger - Mudlet 3.10 is even quicker in many ways such as saving and loading your profiles, searching through your Lua code, and more. Other new features include custom logs location, Chinese language display, font bundling in packages, and autowrap in Geyser miniconsoles.

Welcome Leris!

Volunteers dedicating their quality time is why these releases happen, and we're glad to have a new person on the team - welcome Leris! Aka Kebap and Zaphob. Leris started with Mudlet back in 2012 with this innocent post:

His first improvements, of course, were to our documentation :) He's keen to bring Mudlet - and everything involved: website, documentation, forums - to the international community.

Faster Mudlet

vadi2 put in work to make Mudlet quicker - not that it was slow before, we're proud to say that Mudlet is a super-fast MUD client right from the start. Profile loading is snappier now - if a profile made use of many packages or created many miniconsoles, that's been sped up a fair bit.

Profile saving is quicker now - and, for the technically curious, not only faster thanks to a better XML serialiser (pugixml) but also async.

Searching for aliases/triggers/scripts in the code editor is much quicker, too! We're thinking on ways to make searching your code even quicker, so be on the lookout here.

Custom log files location

AlysCole added a feature where you can choose a custom location for your plain text and color html log files! You can also customise the behavior to use a single continuous log file or daily ones, as well as pick a custom log name.

中国语言显示 / Chinese language display

Mudlets显示现在支持中国! 第一,选择GBK在设置、并随后连接到你的游戏。 Mudlets口仍然只有英文-帮助我们把它翻译. 这消息是翻译的使用计算机:)

Mudlets display now supports Chinese! First, choose GBK in Settings:

Then connect to your game:

Mudlets interface is still only in English - help us translate it.

Thanks to novload and SlySven for their work on this feature / 谢谢你novload和SlySven为他们的工作在这一特征。

Translate Mudlet to your language

The 4.0 goal on our roadmap is to bring Mudlet to the many MUDs out there other than English - and one of the ways to do is that is by translating Mudlets interface. If you know another language, help us translate Mudlet!

Custom fonts in Mudlet packages

Have you made an amazing Mudlet interface that looks just right with that awesome font you found, but nobody else has it? You can now include the font in the .mpackage / .zip file and Mudlet will automatically enable it.

This follows the feature in the previous 3.9 release which allows you to use custom fonts in all UI elements - labels, miniconsoles, and userwindows by vadi2.

Autowrap in Geyser miniconsoles

oestrich added support for autowrap in Geyser miniconsoles, so you don't have to set the wrapwidth manually anymore - check out the example.

Keybinding improvements

You can now have multi-match keybindings: if you add two keybindings for Ctrl+F1, and enable the option to match all keybindings, both will match. Additionally, you can bind to plain letters (Q, W, E, ...) now as well.

Infrastructure improvements

We're always improving Mudlet both on the outside and inside. keneanung put a lot of work into our continuous integration infrastructure to make Mudlet builds faster and more resilient to websites breaking (happens surprisingly often). He's also solved the problem that prevented us from upgrading to a newer Qt version - so we can now use Qt 5.9 LTS as well as C++14, an upgrade from Qt 5.6 and C++11.

Not satisfied with everything accomplished so far, he didn't just stop there but also added a one-click setup for Windows coders which sets up and builds everything for you! Feedback is: "it [the setup] was awesome. way easier than the hoops I usually have to jump through to get up and running with a random codebase"

Curious about contributing to Mudlet? Have a look - Mudlet is a very active, modern open-source project.

Stats for release 3.9:

Changelog

• added: autowrap feature in Geyser.Miniconsole
  • added: East Asian language support - GBK and GB18030 encodings
  • added: enable Qt 5.9 on Windows/macOS/Linux and enable C++14 features
  • added: get text to translate Mudlet's interface up on Crowdin
  • added: more options for logging: split/single file, custom location, and custom log names
  • added: option to toggle display of ambiguous-width characters
  • added: Mudlet packages can now have custom fonts
  • fixed: blank changelog on upgrade
  • fixed: don't crash when clicking on the X= icon in variables view
  • fixed: don't lose unsaved trigger you're making in the editor if you use perm*Trigger
  • fixed: GUI auto-upgrade from the game showed version numbers backwards
  • fixed: tempComplexRegexTrigger's foreground and background arguments didn't work right
  • fixed: room exits dialog on macOS didn't visually show 'Save' button as enabled
  • improved: setBackgroundColor() can now change background of the main window
  • improved: calcFontSize() can now take a window parameter to support custom miniconsole fonts
  • improved: cleaned up documentation in Mudlet's code and linked it to the wiki
  • improved: disable Geyser.MiniConsole scrollbar if you've previously enabled it in the constructor and then took it out
  • improved: getFont() now reports actual font that was used, not the one you set it to, in case you don't really have that font to use
  • improved: improve performance and don't raise telnet EOR events (just like GA and you are better off with a prompt trigger)
  • improved: made profiles save faster
  • improved: made profiles that create miniconsoles load faster
  • improved: made profiles with many packages/modules load faster
  • improved: made searching in code editor faster
  • improved: modernized Mudlet's C++ code (auto, nullptr, empty(), trivial constructors, no ineffective const, ranged for)
  • improved: you can now make keybindings with plain letters (ie A, B, C)
  • infrastructure: faster continuous integration builds
  • infrastructure: more resilient continuous integration builds

Credits

Thanks to AlysCole, basooza, hallor, Kebap, keneanung, novload, oestrich, SlySven, and vadi2 for making Mudlet 3.10 possible.

Comments

• Yay, I can finally play Achaea in Chinese

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • 为什么?  
    And as he slept he dreamed a dream, and this was his dream.
  • 为什么不呢?

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • 因为中国人真奇怪
    And as he slept he dreamed a dream, and this was his dream.
  • I'm using mudlet 3.10 on Mac 10.13.4, and the input text cache no longer exists. Never seen this before, but now when I press the up arrow to go through the cache of text I have input previously, there is nothing at all. This is both the case for empty line and completing text, like if you type r and press up, to find where you typed readnews.

No settings changed, but... When I followed the original popup box from mudlet asking me to update, it had a critical error that I of course did not screenshot. I just went to the website and downloaded 3.10. I've reset the client since then, and yeah. No cache! This is very very bad (an unplayable quality of life issue, since I don't want to play Achaea in Chinese), and I'll downgrade to 3.9 for the time being.

Hope this helps diagnose it,
      Thanks!
  • We'll have a look, sorry about the issue! Seems to work on Ubuntu so it got missed.

Would you be willing to help test new things in the future? I suspect it came from the keybinding improvements and we have a #mudlet-testing channel in Discord where you can test the new features.
  • I get an error on OSX 10.13.4 as well after hitting install and relaunch.

Not many details unfortunately.
  • My biggest complaints and I cant find ways to change it:

shift + space wont let you space. This is annoying since sometimes my pinky lingers for .2s and so I end up spreading words together.
    left ctrl + backspace wont let you delete one full word quickly. So if I mistype terribly I cant remove the whole word instantly.

Any ideas outside of downgrading?
  • We'll fix it - sorry about the problem. No workaround option available, it was the change that made keybindings more powerful - a little too powerful.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    I thought the shift+space issue was my laptop having fits so I logged off. It’s aggravating trying to help novices and having to backspace repeatedly to try and get a space in and not having it work.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• I thought the shift/space problem was my keyboard, not Mudlet  :o
  • edited June 2018
    Rispok said:
    I'm using mudlet 3.10 on Mac 10.13.4, and the input text cache no longer exists. Never seen this before, but now when I press the up arrow to go through the cache of text I have input previously, there is nothing at all. This is both the case for empty line and completing text, like if you type r and press up, to find where you typed readnews.

No settings changed, but... When I followed the original popup box from mudlet asking me to update, it had a critical error that I of course did not screenshot. I just went to the website and downloaded 3.10. I've reset the client since then, and yeah. No cache! This is very very bad (an unplayable quality of life issue, since I don't want to play Achaea in Chinese), and I'll downgrade to 3.9 for the time being.

Thanks!
    Could you check that https://transfer.sh/9dElc/Mudlet-3.10.0-testing-PR1762-40f8ccd.dmg fixes the problem?

(its just the up/down on macs, doesn't affect shift ctrl + backspace)
  • Vadimuses said:
    Rispok said:
    I'm using mudlet 3.10 on Mac 10.13.4, and the input text cache no longer exists. Never seen this before, but now when I press the up arrow to go through the cache of text I have input previously, there is nothing at all. This is both the case for empty line and completing text, like if you type r and press up, to find where you typed readnews.

Thanks!
    Could you check that https://transfer.sh/9dElc/Mudlet-3.10.0-testing-PR1762-40f8ccd.dmg fixes the problem?

(its just the up/down on macs, doesn't affect shift ctrl + backspace)
    This does indeed put the input line cache back! I haven't tested to see if there is anything else different, but loaded this version up, and pressing up/down works now.

Thanks!
  • edited June 2018
    Vadimuses said:
    stuff

Yes! Just tested, I can ctrl + backspace and shift + space! Thank you!
  • @Vadimuses

Seems to work fine, thank you for the quick fix.
  • Works for me too, @Vadimuses.
  • 3.10.1 has the fixes. Thanks for the quick feedback everyone!
  • Thanks a million for getting that situated. 

• RyldaghRyldagh Ontario, Canada
    Yay, I can finally play Achaea in Chinese
    Spoiler Alert: Monks getting a THIRD primary tree option called Xianxia.  This will be a permanent replacement of Tekura and will feature a lot of ridiculously theatrical moves.

• does pgup and pgdn not work for anyone else?
    spread positivity
  • I have never used shift space abs ctrl backspace. What is these magic combinations?
  • Rangor said:
    I have never used shift space abs ctrl backspace. What is these magic combinations?
    Nothing, just when you capitalize 'I' then sometimes your finger lingers .2 seconds when you press space. So the input didnt move and you'd end up with "Iam not okay."

Ctrl + Backspace was just a way to delete a full word quickly, and is literally my life since I mistype or want to change how I write something so much.
  • I never realized I did it, but I found out I hold down the shift key after exclamation marks. 
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    I notice when you try to copy things off mudlet, you wind up prepending stuff with a bunch of spaces. Something that ordinarily appears as just

box123456

now gets pasted as

box123456

Not sure what's causing it but it's incredibly annoying because when you c/p stuff you now not only have to edit for word-wrapping you also have to backspace even more to get rid of all the extra spaces.

• KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Skye said:
    I notice when you try to copy things off mudlet, you wind up prepending stuff with a bunch of spaces. Something that ordinarily appears as just

box123456

now gets pasted as

box123456

Not sure what's causing it but it's incredibly annoying because when you c/p stuff you now not only have to edit for word-wrapping you also have to backspace even more to get rid of all the extra spaces.
    Known fault, being worked on.

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • RyldaghRyldagh Ontario, Canada
    Vadimuses said:
    3.10.1 has the fixes. Thanks for the quick feedback everyone!
    Ctrl + Del still seems to be not registering, even after the fix.