Welcome to the Achaea Forums! Please be sure to read the Forum Rules.

IRE: Origins

13»

Comments

• ZbacoZbaco Member Posts: 240 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    Native Achaean
    Dupre said:
    Speaking of, remember when Achaea was like only yay big:

(map.jpg)

Funny you should post this, I was cleaning out some old old paperwork the other day and found a copy of this exact map that I'd printed out all those years ago. A much smaller world then, that's for sure.
  • FinchyFinchy Member Posts: 142 ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    Native Achaean
    Zbaco said:
    Dupre said:
    Speaking of, remember when Achaea was like only yay big:

(map.jpg)

Funny you should post this, I was cleaning out some old old paperwork the other day and found a copy of this exact map that I'd printed out all those years ago. A much smaller world then, that's for sure.
    I'm so glad I'm not the only person who did that. Having to explain a four foot print of the wilderness/sailing overworld printed and then badly sellotaped together on my wall was fun too.

For the record I honestly am not sure of the year, 2004 or 5 I think. Achaea first because I liked the logo at the time, no prior MUD experience so I spent the next three months going "Hey this is cool" "wow I have no idea what I'm doing bugger this" then trying again a month later. I've tried the others and made a tiny dent in Lusternia but that's it.

Jahrak
  • RiveninkiRiveninki Member Posts: 2
    Native Achaean
    I believe my first experiences with Achaea were in 2001 continuing on for another seven years.  Left for many years later to re-emerge periodically.  Tried other IRE games but always, always went back to Achaea.  Now my life is settled down, I simply started all over again.  It's like playing a whole new game; it's nothing like it was before in 2001.  I don't know if that is good or bad.
  • AthelasAthelas Cape Town South AfricaMember Posts: 325 ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    Native Achaean
    1999??? - Back when:

- Druids were not allowed to be members of any city.
    - Harvesting Kola was an anual race between concoction users.
    - Having Bloodroot was better than having gold.
    - Credits could be bought on Market at 3000 gold per credit.
    - Attaining Dragon was a genuine achievement. The few that managed it, were only slightly less than gods!
    - Dying was seriously bad news! Especially for higher levels.
    - Resurrection squads, especially among Druids, was a thing!
    - Finding a spot in a forest where a Druid has not imprinted was a feat of player endurance.
    - You could actually RP your way to Godhood. One or two even managed it.
    - After a god spoke in game, every player online at the time, would literally go AFK for a bit, just to go make sure they did not actually wet/crap themselves.
    - Orphan-trade between Ashtan and Shallam was a thing.
    - Druids had the ability to start forest fires.
    - Selling curatives was good business.
    - Anyone level 80 and above, was considered a severely dedicated player.
    - Anyone level 50 or above, could actually make a difference in group combat.
    - Proficy inspired genuine fear, not mild annoyance.
    - Thieves could steal everything you have.
    - A Druid's grove was a safe place to hide.

When the Druid Guild eventually allowed Druids to join a city, I was one of the first that joined Eleusis.
  • CooperCooper Member Posts: 5,253 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Native Achaean
    Probably half that stuff didn't exist or wasn't possible in 1999, maybe 2005 would be more accurate. 

• PyoriPyori Member Posts: 1,799 @ - Epic Achaean
    Native Achaean
    I dunno about you... But for me, selling curatives is still good business. A bonus that it's on top of the gold cap.

• AthelasAthelas Cape Town South AfricaMember Posts: 325 ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    Native Achaean
    Cooper said:
    Probably half that stuff didn't exist or wasn't possible in 1999, maybe 2005 would be more accurate. 
    I started playing Achaea before I met my ex-wife. That happened in mid-2000, so my Achaea start date falls between late 1999 and early 2000. Most likely late 1999 because I was on a rather time sensitive project for the first half of 2000.
  • TasusTasus Member Posts: 114 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    2003! My first character has since been lost to the ravages of time, and I tried off and on for a bit between, but here I am now. 
  • KorrokKorrok Member Posts: 45 ✭✭ - Stalwart
    Native Achaean
    ~2006 Girl I liked loved the game and I played D&D, so I tried it,  and hated it,  but stuck with it and dated said girl. We didn't work out, she went on to Lusternia, I started a new character. 

• ElseElse Member Posts: 18
    Native Achaean
    I began in Achaea back in ... 2000, maybe? Some friends of mine were discussing it in Junior High gym class. I played for a bit, moved on to Aetolia, and eventually Imperian. It's been quite a few years since I've played an IRE game, but I'm excited to get back into Achaea and do some roleplaying and lore stuff again!
  • StefanaStefana Member Posts: 62 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    Native Achaean
    ~2006-07. Still remember the adrenaline rush of pretending to be 13+ for registration on that first character, it remains probably the most thrilling lie I’ve ever gotten away with.
    ElseTasusCailin
  • TasusTasus Member Posts: 114 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    Stefana said:
    ~2006-07. Still remember the adrenaline rush of pretending to be 13+ for registration on that first character, it remains probably the most thrilling lie I’ve ever gotten away with.
    🤣🤣 hilarious. 
    Stefana
  • LanreLanre Member Posts: 35 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    Native Achaean
    Early 2000s...don't remember exact date. I had gotten bored of games without depth and wanted a real medieval fantasy world gaming environment (I was young, probably 11-12, and had just seen Lord of the Rings for the first time). 

Achaea got me through awkward high school and early college years (didn't have much friends at the time). I remember vividly the War of the Divine Child. I was a young shallamese novice stabbing rats with my shortsword to offer them on the Mirror for Eiodolons to protect the city, constantly asking what I could do to help. Being in awe while Gods shouted and in absolute terror of Sartan and Mhaldor. 

I'll never be more affected by any world (it's never really been a game to me), than Achaea. I don't play like I used to and not on the same characters but Achaea's always going to hold a place in my heart, for better or worse ;)
  • MathonwyMathonwy Member Posts: 914 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited June 3
    Native Achaean
    I have really disconnected memories about my first characters. For a while in middle/high school I got into MUDs. I think it was  sometime around 2003, 2004 maybe? I don't remember the exact date, but I do remember manual curing and guilds were still a thing, that navigating my way around Ashtan was pretty confusing and landmarking was still a thing, because having the effectiveness of one of my skills tied to it meant my Shallamese character lasted about 0.7 seconds before I deleted it.

One of my strongest initial memories of the game was someone telling me that if I didn't bow to the denizen tutor I was learning from/show them sufficient respect, I'd get kicked out of the guild. That stuck with me for pretty much my entire relationship with this game. I'm not someone who likes to look back at 'the good old days,' but I feel like that kind of atmosphere has changed or eroded in some ways. Who knows, though. Maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway, I would create a character, get to about level 20 or so (when the gold/level really starts to drop off), and get bored/suicide it, etc. So I always thought the skills and the way they were done were so interesting, but I never really got far enough to experiment too much with it. And the other games never really had that primal allure that Achaea did. Who cares about vampires when I've got the primal forces of Good and Evil and Chaos brawling it out in real-time?

With Mathonwy, though... I think it was shortly before Halloween, 2008. My best friend had died from cancer a few months earlier and I was (months later) still an absolute wreck with pretty acute insomnia. I needed something to do to fill the hours. I remembered this little game I used to play a few years back and wondered if it was still around. After googling for a few minutes, I found out what it was called, started Mathonwy (not his original name, fun fact), and rolled a paladin (my preferred class in tabletop games and RPG actually).

I have a lot of really great memories from when I started, but I definitely wouldn't have stuck around had it not been for Aaseth in the Guardians, Quoren and Palanor in the EA, and especially Seelie and Pentharian. I know there was a meme in the old Guardians of the Light House that Seelie would send a billion messages to newbies, but honestly any time I did anything, the fact that a senior member of the House recognized it and had nothing but unconditional praise was really a drive forward. And however Mathonwy as a character ended up in relationship to those characters, I as a player have always been really grateful about the kind of start I got in Achaea.

And then Pentharian truefavoured me and kind of encouraged me for a post I made to the Guardians House and I almost pissed myself because I wasn't aware at that point that the Gods were anything other than fiction devices in Achaea. Hilarious stuff. (I don't know if he actually knows that story or not.)
    Saeva said:
    If Mathonwy is 2006 I wish 2007 had never come.
    Xenomorph said:
    heh. Mathowned.
    Message #12872 Sent by Jurixe
    4/16/0:41
    MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.
    ZackeryCailinHalos
Sign In to Comment.