Welcome to the Achaea Forums! Please be sure to read the Forum Rules.

IRE: Origins

13»

Comments

• ZbacoZbaco Member Posts: 202 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    Native Achaean
    Dupre said:
    Speaking of, remember when Achaea was like only yay big:

(map.jpg)

Funny you should post this, I was cleaning out some old old paperwork the other day and found a copy of this exact map that I'd printed out all those years ago. A much smaller world then, that's for sure.
  • FinchyFinchy Member Posts: 142 ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    Native Achaean
    Zbaco said:
    Dupre said:
    Speaking of, remember when Achaea was like only yay big:

(map.jpg)

Funny you should post this, I was cleaning out some old old paperwork the other day and found a copy of this exact map that I'd printed out all those years ago. A much smaller world then, that's for sure.
    I'm so glad I'm not the only person who did that. Having to explain a four foot print of the wilderness/sailing overworld printed and then badly sellotaped together on my wall was fun too.

For the record I honestly am not sure of the year, 2004 or 5 I think. Achaea first because I liked the logo at the time, no prior MUD experience so I spent the next three months going "Hey this is cool" "wow I have no idea what I'm doing bugger this" then trying again a month later. I've tried the others and made a tiny dent in Lusternia but that's it.

Jahrak
  • RiveninkiRiveninki Member Posts: 2
    Native Achaean
    I believe my first experiences with Achaea were in 2001 continuing on for another seven years.  Left for many years later to re-emerge periodically.  Tried other IRE games but always, always went back to Achaea.  Now my life is settled down, I simply started all over again.  It's like playing a whole new game; it's nothing like it was before in 2001.  I don't know if that is good or bad.
  • TahquilTahquil Member Posts: 4,203 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited February 14
    Navigating Achaea circa. 2002.

CaelanMelodieShirszaeCailin
  • AthelasAthelas Cape Town South AfricaMember Posts: 293 ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    Native Achaean
    1999??? - Back when:

- Druids were not allowed to be members of any city.
    - Harvesting Kola was an anual race between concoction users.
    - Having Bloodroot was better than having gold.
    - Credits could be bought on Market at 3000 gold per credit.
    - Attaining Dragon was a genuine achievement. The few that managed it, were only slightly less than gods!
    - Dying was seriously bad news! Especially for higher levels.
    - Resurrection squads, especially among Druids, was a thing!
    - Finding a spot in a forest where a Druid has not imprinted was a feat of player endurance.
    - You could actually RP your way to Godhood. One or two even managed it.
    - After a god spoke in game, every player online at the time, would literally go AFK for a bit, just to go make sure they did not actually wet/crap themselves.
    - Orphan-trade between Ashtan and Shallam was a thing.
    - Druids had the ability to start forest fires.
    - Selling curatives was good business.
    - Anyone level 80 and above, was considered a severely dedicated player.
    - Anyone level 50 or above, could actually make a difference in group combat.
    - Proficy inspired genuine fear, not mild annoyance.
    - Thieves could steal everything you have.
    - A Druid's grove was a safe place to hide.

When the Druid Guild eventually allowed Druids to join a city, I was one of the first that joined Eleusis.
  • CooperCooper IowaMember Posts: 4,978 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Native Achaean
    Probably half that stuff didn't exist or wasn't possible in 1999, maybe 2005 would be more accurate. 

• PyoriPyori Member Posts: 1,496 @ - Epic Achaean
    Native Achaean
    I dunno about you... But for me, selling curatives is still good business. A bonus that it's on top of the gold cap.

• AthelasAthelas Cape Town South AfricaMember Posts: 293 ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    Native Achaean
    Cooper said:
    Probably half that stuff didn't exist or wasn't possible in 1999, maybe 2005 would be more accurate. 
    I started playing Achaea before I met my ex-wife. That happened in mid-2000, so my Achaea start date falls between late 1999 and early 2000. Most likely late 1999 because I was on a rather time sensitive project for the first half of 2000.
  • TasusTasus Member Posts: 48 ✭✭ - Stalwart
    2003! My first character has since been lost to the ravages of time, and I tried off and on for a bit between, but here I am now. 
  • KorrokKorrok Member Posts: 45 ✭✭ - Stalwart
    Native Achaean
    ~2006 Girl I liked loved the game and I played D&D, so I tried it,  and hated it,  but stuck with it and dated said girl. We didn't work out, she went on to Lusternia, I started a new character. 

• ElseElse Member Posts: 7
    Native Achaean
    I began in Achaea back in ... 2000, maybe? Some friends of mine were discussing it in Junior High gym class. I played for a bit, moved on to Aetolia, and eventually Imperian. It's been quite a few years since I've played an IRE game, but I'm excited to get back into Achaea and do some roleplaying and lore stuff again!
  • StefanaStefana Member Posts: 15 ✭✭ - Stalwart
    Native Achaean
    ~2006-07. Still remember the adrenaline rush of pretending to be 13+ for registration on that first character, it remains probably the most thrilling lie I’ve ever gotten away with.
    ElseTasusCailin
  • TasusTasus Member Posts: 48 ✭✭ - Stalwart
    Stefana said:
    ~2006-07. Still remember the adrenaline rush of pretending to be 13+ for registration on that first character, it remains probably the most thrilling lie I’ve ever gotten away with.
    🤣🤣 hilarious. 
    Stefana
Sign In to Comment.