Class Questions

Comments

• @Daeir Yes. That's why you'll often see people spamming breathing and annoying the hell out of anyone who doesn't have it gagged. (You can't do anything else while holding your breath, so to keep it up you have to hold breath after pretty much any action).
  • Daeir said:
    Does breathing in survival prevent kai choke damage? I'm assuming it's asphyxiation, but it probably isn't.
    It is asphyxiation, and blocked by breathing. Learning fitness will also reduce asphyxiation damage.
  • @Daeir Or is too lazy to have added breathing to their curing system, like me.
  • Getting choked out is probably preferable to buying enough to trans a skillset. Even a L1 dirk is $100 (to my knowledge) whereas I picked up every NWN game in existence for a total of $50.
  • AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    Make a female siren and youll make more
    than you ever dreamed of.

Survival is what your focus on after class skills imo.
  • If you get good at questing, transing a skill can be done in around 60-70 hours (faster if you play at off-peak times so you have everything to yourself).
  • Solution #1: Get Iron Elite for $25/m. Don't cancel the subscription. You start with 100 bound credits per real month (600 lessons) + 150 lessons a month just from logging in every day. After 10 months you're up to 150 bound (900 lessons) + 150 login lessons.
    I don't know much about quests, but in hunting or in the quests and things I do know about, you can probably still reach an easy 5000 per hour, which after 70 hours is probably like 350 lessons if you buy in-game credits. Alternately, if you have a minimum wage job, supplement your Iron Elite lessons with 10 hours of your pay and you're good to go.

If you play more than 3-4 hours in a day, Iron Elite is a must. If nothing else, it's convenient to get that credit boost each month at basically the cost of your Netflix subscription.

Solution #2: What they said.

Solution #3: Become a siren for real and buy all of the credits.

I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • JurixeJurixe Where you least expect it
    If you're good at writing, Bardics is always an alternative. That's what funded my bow! And gem of cloaking.
    If you like my stories, you can find them here:
    Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs

• Achilles said:
    Make a female siren and youll make more than you ever dreamed of. Survival is what your focus on after class skills imo.

As opposed to all the male (ICly, anyway) Sirens.
  • AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    Some people are good at tucking things away for a rainy day.
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    We refer to it as a shower.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • It is worth noting that when you are choked, you will automatically hold breath (regardless of if you have the skill or not, I believe).

This is to prevent huge triggered choke stacks (sorry Eleusis, we would've told you but it was just too funny).

If you're fighting exclusively monks, pausing your system is a viable option. The first choke will hit, the rest will hit breathing. Can give you time to figure something out or for the monks to wtf this guy too hard, hit the 18 yo instead.

• Sena said:
    If you get good at questing, transing a skill can be done in around 60-70 hours (faster if you play at off-peak times so you have everything to yourself).
    Is this true!?

• edited November 2012
    Tilly said:
    Sena said:
    If you get good at questing, transing a skill can be done in around 60-70 hours (faster if you play at off-peak times so you have everything to yourself).
    Is this true!?
    It's a decent enough estimate for the best-case scenario. Keep in mind that that's the total time spent, so if you quest for 2 hours a day, that's about a month.

Transing a skill takes a total of 290 credits (assuming you've used up all your bonus lessons). Assuming 5600 gold per credit, doing it in 70 hours requires 23k gold/hour, 60 hours requires 27k. Just sticking to a single good questing area (like Ulangi/Mysia) can give 20k-25k gold/hour if you have it to yourself, and you can improve that by cycling between different areas to minimise downtime and avoid competition (by having more options).

If you still have bonus lessons (for your first 1000 credits bound), it's only 205 credits to trans a skill, so 20k/hour will get you there in less than 60 hours.
  • Jurixe said:
    If you're good at writing, Bardics is always an alternative. That's what funded my bow! And gem of cloaking.

Bardics and Artisanals were responsible for my trans skills...and my staff of illusion...and my signet ring, pendant, sip ring, customisations, wings, health/mana bracelets...and my lvl2 BM band...and my top hat.

• edited November 2012
    Can anyone give me the Pros and Cons of Jesters VS Sentinels, including Houses, Cities, and RP? Tips and Tricks are appreciated too.

Edit: Could I also get a quick list of all the Morphs? I know Sentinels don't get Hydra like Druids, right?

• Arilles said:
    Can anyone give me the Pros and Cons of Jesters VS Sentinels, including Houses, Cities, and RP? Tips and Tricks are appreciated too.
    Very basics, from an outsider to both. I'm sure others will helpfully point out which parts are misguided, wrong, and plain stupid.

Sentinel - accepted by one city (Eleusis) and one House in that city (the Sentinels). From the outside, the Sentinels look to have a large, active playerbased, with a strong RP focus (defend Nature) and a major role in at least one of the main axes of conflict in the game (Evil v. Nature, not sure about their current involvement in Oblivion v. Everyone).

Jester - accepted by all cities, and a wide variety of Houses therein (not feeling up to looking up exactly which), so potentially more freedom in terms of directions to take your RP. On the flip side, aside from the performance/entertainment/whatever you call it that you'd probably find in the CIJ or Ty Beirdd, not a lot of large scale class-specific roles, so RP focus more set by the city and house you end up in. I personally find the ridiculousness of a lot of the flavour of Pranks incredibly offputting, but ymmv.
  • Arilles said:
    Edit: Could I also get a quick list of all the Morphs? I know Sentinels don't get Hydra like Druids, right?
    HELP METAMORPHOSIS lists them, and states that hydra is druid only.
  • Sena said:
    Arilles said:
    HELP METAMORPHOSIS lists them, and states that hydra is druid only.
    It does? I tried looking at it on Achaea.com and there was no list...
  • Help files on the website won't show dynamic content like ability lists or house/city info. You have to read them in the game for that.

Here's the list of metamorphosis abilities:
    [spoiler]Squirrel            A cute, bushy-tailed woodland creature.
    Powers              Lists the powers you possess when morphed into a creature.
    Wildcat             A small untamed feline. Alert and perceptive.
    Wolf                The wary white wolf.
    Turtle              The aquatic turtle.
    Jackdaw             The black jackdaw.
    Cheetah             A creature quick of eye and fleet of foot.
    Owl                 The wise bird of prey.
    Hyena               A vicious, stealthy creature with a chilling howl.
    Condor              The swift and mighty bird of prey.
    Gopher              A cute, burrowing animal.
    Sloth               A slow, ponderous creature.
    Basilisk            The silent, magical beast of lore.
    Bear                The mighty grizzly bear.
    Bonding             Increased rapport with the animal spirits.
    Nightingale         A delicate, beautiful bird with an exquisite song.
    Elephant            Largest of the land mammals.
    Transmorph          The ability to morph from form to form.
    Wolverine           Pound for pound, one of the most vicious animals.
    Jaguar              A powerful, quick, and stealthy beast.
    Eagle               The king of all flighted birds.
    Gorilla             An agile yet powerful primate.
    Icewyrm             A mythical creature of awesome, magical power.
    Affinity            Obtaining a greater affinity with an animal spirit.
    Wyvern              The cousin of dragons themselves.
    Hydra               A fearsome creature steeped in mystery.
    TrueMorph           Instantaneous metamorphosis.
    [/spoiler]
  • Arilles said:

Sentinels can lay traps, which is neat. Jesters have disarm to counter traps, which is neat but I'd like to see a jester trap. No classlead luck on that so far. :P

I've never tried the Meta classes, but if you go jester, expect to be disliked for one reason or the other. Combat-wise, I can't speak for sentinels, but jesters have a variety of small things that are mechanically broken or deficient. It's also a very expensive class to maintain if you fight. Contrarily, sentinels can do their own elixirs and herbs. So cheaper.

• Xith said:
    Arilles said:

Sentinels can lay traps, which is neat. Jesters have disarm to counter traps, which is neat but I'd like to see a jester trap. No classlead luck on that so far. :P

I've never tried the Meta classes, but if you go jester, expect to be disliked for one reason or the other. Combat-wise, I can't speak for sentinels, but jesters have a variety of small things that are mechanically broken or deficient. It's also a very expensive class to maintain if you fight. Contrarily, sentinels can do their own elixirs and herbs. So cheaper.

Assuming tritrans, yeah, Sentinels can do their own herbs and fills, and get a sip bonus. If you're not going to be tritrans for a while, concoctions isn't really important for combat (though the sip is nice), so you can probably get by with dual trans. As a counter to that, I think you'll probably need weaponry up to at least envenom to be serious about combat. Don't know if jesters need weaponry, but I think need to be tritrans to really be combat viable.
  • Technically jesters only need Pranks and Tarot if they're wily enough. Do need Envenom (bout 300 lessons in wep) to stick aeon with juggling.
  • How do Sentinels work in conjuction with Oakstone? If a Sentinel got enemied to Oakstone, would that hinder their abilities in any way? (I'm specifically thinking about thornspray and the entourage of pets).
  • Xith said:
    Technically jesters only need Pranks and Tarot if they're wily enough. Do need Envenom (bout 300 lessons in wep) to stick aeon with juggling.
    By that logic you 'technically' only need Pranks or only need Tarot to kill as a Jester. It's highly impractical to be a Jester without near tri-trans (for 1v1).
  • edited November 2012
    Binding is rarely useful in a straight up 1v1 duel, because it's relatively hard to get someone in a position to bind them to begin with. You can technically bind people you have in a sleeplock, but that's often more a risk than an advantage, since the time it takes you to bind them means more time for them to wake up, during which you could just have sniped with delphinium.

It's a great thing to do in certain other situations though, for instance when an enemy hits a totem and doesn't instantly wake from metawake. Binding is a powerful ability, due to the rather long time it takes to writhe from it, it's just extremely situational.
  • edited November 2012
    If by "occupying a wall slot" you mean "blocking other walls from being formed" then it doesn't do that. You can still raise other walls on an exit where there's a lightwall. Its only actual purpose is to grief newbies. (I guess one might use it as a cheap, balanceless way of blinding oneself in mid-combat, but it doesn't work on the conjurer, so it could only be used in such a fashion for ones allies.)
  • edited November 2012
    They can't just walk out, but they can tumble if they have that ability. You can't writhe from a noose, but there are other ways of stopping it, or of preventing its damage (it's asphyxiation damage).
  • Daeven said:
    Xith said:
    Technically jesters only need Pranks and Tarot if they're wily enough. Do need Envenom (bout 300 lessons in wep) to stick aeon with juggling.
    By that logic you 'technically' only need Pranks or only need Tarot to kill as a Jester. It's highly impractical to be a Jester without near tri-trans (for 1v1).

Tower + Peels + bombs + hangedman + death/jitb = all you really need

Puppetry is not only unnecessary, but often a waste of time or risk of dying. Really hoping my Fashion classlead gets approved at least partially. Puppetry is not as great as it should be. Have to do the same action 45+ times before even attempting a combo (and the best combo uses 30 fashions even if you fail).
    Monks can not only mindlock and stuff faster, but their cripple prones. Ours doesn't and needs 30 fashions, uses 7. The only time you get to use puppetry is if it's 1 vs 1 and the person wants to fight you.

• @Daeir I personally find bind to be quite useful, if only in certain situations. However, you'll have to ask my ICly if you want to know exactly when I use it :P