Perceived commodity availability

So, we're pretty close to putting in a system of player mines to produce quite a few, though not all, of the comms. (All the ones that might conceivably be the product of a mine.)

Since this system will regulate max production of comms (as the comm shops do), I need to set initial production numbers. Currently, I'm basing those off the comm shop production for each comm. I occasionally go through and adjust the production of various comms, but since mines represents an entirely new system I thought I'd take this opportunity to have a look at all of them.

Which comms do you guys perceive as being too difficult to buy at reasonable prices either in villages or on the comm market? Keep in mind that 'reasonable' is not the same thing as 'at or near the lowest price out there'. 

Comments

• As an example, there's almost 15k stone on the commarket under 100 gold right now, whereas there's barely more than 600 iron at 150 gold and under. 

One thing I don't have a handle on there: Is the iron situation because you guys aren't using a lot of it, because you are but cities are burning through their reserves, or because you are and there's just a lot of demand for iron so it doesn't stay on the comm market a lot?
  • @Sarapis - On our side, Targossas is having a hard time finding any iron in the villages (bad timing, maybe, but it's always sold out). Thus we are burning through our reserves (rapidly), and are refusing to sell. Which probably inflates the price on the comms market, which probably increases the stress on the villages because it becomes worth more.

Vicious inflationary cycle. But if it keeps up, Targossas will lose its barracks because we're unable to secure iron, not out of monetary problems.

• AereidhnaAereidhna Dallas
    edited June 2015
    I've given up on forging for now except for the rare direct request because iron and steel are always low/out when I check and I don't have the patience to hustle constantly trying to catch the villages at a good time. I am really sick of the comm system right now, but this gives me a bit of hope. On the upside, lacquer seems to be much cheaper and more readily available when I check these days.

For me it isn't even pricing that's an issue, it's that I almost never see it stocked above 50, I won't buy below 50 out of respect for the fact that price inflation is a huge issue for others, and on the rare occasion that I do find it above 50 there's still only like 20-30 for sale if that. 
  • Guess I should chime in this one, so here goes my/Ashtan PoV:

-Main problematic comms: Iron, Steel.
          It is hard to keep these two stable in reserves. Iron more so than Steel. Mostly managing so far because not many people buy comms from Ashtan as much they did two rl years-ish ago before the change on tradeskills and city comm expenses (even with all but two comms at the lowest price among cities). 

-Secondary problems: Gold, Bone, Lacquer (possibly Ice in certain occasions too).
          These are comms sold in few places, with low production per hour that I have issues with once every couple RL months when somebody buys large numbers of. Can quickly end up in a situation that takes up to a couple weeks of comm fetching to come back up from.

-Minor problems: Cloth, Leather.
          Similar to the above, but less frequent and higher restock rate because more villages producing it, even though it can take a while to drop in price. Crafters tend to not care much about overpaying when they need to make new bondage gear ...umm, I mean bunny costumes ..ack, clothes so these two can end up expensive-ish and bought on loop for couple days in such craft rushes. Ignore them for couple days and they're back to normal so just a minor issue.

The rest at most can take a bit of time to gather if you fall behind, rarely seen at unreasonable prices or in too low stock.
  • edited June 2015
    @Sarapis I am a pretty frequent visitor to the comm stores since I returned, regularly "investing" hundreds of thousands in gold on securing comms I am personally using.

I find if I put effort in I have been able to secure or see available most everything in reasonable quantities and at reasonable prices with one exception. Sometimes this does mean sailing around the Island stores, which I am not sure is reasonable, but the comms are there pretty often.

This exception is Iron. I do get it in small quantities at the low prices on a regular basis but it does seem to be sold out more often than anything else.

All the comms seem to go through ups and downs with demand, sometimes steel is all out for a few days, or leather, or obsidian. But then a couple real days later it is in the hundreds at several stores. This hasn't been the case for Iron that I have seen in the last few real months.

Regardless of the supply and demand issues it would be nice if the new skill is broad enough to "justify" investment so having it as a mining skill is nice and you could cover things like iron, steel, coal, stone, maybe even obsidian, bone, silver, gold and gems. But it would also be nice if you considered expanding it to things like tree felling for wood (love you loosis) or skinning and leather making. I know that means you could make just about every comm and probably not something you'd consider but it would be nice to cover all of the main comms that people need for city improvements and forging/enchanting etc.
  • TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    I agree with Josoul's breakdown of comms. Iron and Steel are definitely the most annoying to find at reasonable prices
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• Draekar said:

Regardless of the supply and demand issues it would be nice if the new skill is broad enough to "justify" investment so having it as a mining skill is nice 
    There is no mining skill and it'll be open to anyone by default. However you think it's going to work though, you're probably far from guessing correctly unless you've been given a leaked copy of the design. It's not at all like anything else in Achaea.
  • Sarapis said:
    Draekar said:

Regardless of the supply and demand issues it would be nice if the new skill is broad enough to "justify" investment so having it as a mining skill is nice 
    There is no mining skill and it'll be open to anyone by default. However you think it's going to work though, you're probably far from guessing correctly unless you've been given a leaked copy of the design. It's not at all like anything else in Achaea.
    Oh, I wrongly assumed it was going to be another trade skill. Guessing what it will be is now more fun! 
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    There really isn't enough iron out there considering it's so broadly used. Forging (bulk), city upkeep (bulk), bombs (minor), ship weapon upkeep/repairs (minor)

Can't really feedback on the others since it's the only mined comm I use right now in any amount.

• edited June 2015
    Iron, steel, gold, and bone are regularly bought out and/or at highly inflated prices.

Lacquer isn't usually bought out or too highly inflated, though the limited sources (and one of those being an island) may create the impression of scarcity.

Everything else seems to stay at fairly reasonable prices and stock (presuming of course that mines or another new skill don't create a demand for say, rope).

Sarapis said:
    As an example, there's almost 15k stone on the commarket under 100 gold right now, whereas there's barely more than 600 iron at 150 gold and under. 

One thing I don't have a handle on there: Is the iron situation because you guys aren't using a lot of it, because you are but cities are burning through their reserves, or because you are and there's just a lot of demand for iron so it doesn't stay on the comm market a lot?
    It's likely #2 leading to #3. Iron is used in bulk, as @Skye mentioned, for both city upkeep and forging. Steel is also used in bulk by forgers. Given what I've heard is required to 'level up' forging, I don't think that demand/strain on the market is going to change.

Wood and stone have the same kind of high demand, but the adjustments made to shop output have seemed to allow some stability in prices.
  • RuthRuth Singapore
    Iron, steel, leather, gold. Josoul pretty much hit the reasons on the head with his post above.
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• edited June 2015
    Iron. Iron. Iron. Iron. There are very few shops that sell it and they are always sold out or boosted up to way high prices.
    Leather is also a bit difficult to find in actual stock, though the prices aren't usually high.
    Gold. Gold is always hard to find, much less at base value.

These three are the most difficult at all times.

• Inuad said:
    Iron, steel, gold, and bone are regularly bought out and/or at highly inflated prices.

Lacquer isn't usually bought out or too highly inflated, though the limited sources (and one of those being an island) may create the impression of scarcity.
    Lacquer literally goes for half what the 'average' price was intended to be. ;) 

(The pricing algorithm is terrible but we haven't bothered adjusting it because we're intending to replace it with player-produced comm systems.)
  • Lacquer doesn't even sell in our city comm shop. So I can see why it wouldn't really sell anywhere else. It's a rarely used commodity. Iron, gold and leather on the other hand, are used in many creations.

• No one mentioned the annoyance of buying ice?

Though I suppose that may be because it isn't mined. :bawling: 

Only once have I ever seen elemental ice below 300g per. Let Elementalists be able to make it :winky: 
  • Most of what has been said is accurate. Iron and Steel are obvious choices for things we would like to see more of. Ice, as was also mentioned, can be a pain in the butt every once in a while. The gold/silver is usually fine except during holidays when everybody is making jewellery, but is otherwise not much of an issue for enchanting. Coal would be neat to see as a mined product in relative abundance as well. It's already essentially free if you have friends with trader's satchels, so making it easy to obtain would change next to nothing.
  • Ice was under 300 just today

• Saeva said:
    Ice was under 300 just today
    Curse this life I must live outside of Achaea. :anguished: 
  • JinsunJinsun TN, USA
    I just really hope the mining system is not as long winded and Grindy as say augmentation. I'm happy finding my iron and paying for it as I like to spend my time in realms doing things that I actually like. In general, I don't care for the upkeep things needed for some classes ( gathering karma making pacts, inscribing cards). I guess I get that those things are there to give us more to do to spend time here, but I'd spend time here anyway because there are plenty of things that I like to do
  • edited June 2015
    Jinsun said:
    I just really hope the mining system is not as long winded and Grindy as say augmentation. I'm happy finding my iron and paying for it as I like to spend my time in realms doing things that I actually like. In general, I don't care for the upkeep things needed for some classes ( gathering karma making pacts, inscribing cards). I guess I get that those things are there to give us more to do to spend time here, but I'd spend time here anyway because there are plenty of things that I like to do
    If you don't mind paying for it, tarot and karma are both pretty easy to come by. Years ago, when Tael was a jester, I used to inscribe full decks and sell them all the time and I know people have paid for others to gather karma items for them.

I actually think both of those things are a pretty ideal economic situation - you have the option of paying for them, other people have the option to produce and sell them, or you can do it yourself. The only real hitch is that paying for them requires interacting with people, placing orders, and paying, which for some reason seemingly everyone in the game seems to see as this big burden.
  • JinsunJinsun TN, USA
    Eh to me with making gold and what not it all sort of seems to come out in the wash. Hopefully the market will flood with cheap comms!
  • Some people will lose money trying to mine. Others will make money. Some smart ones will make a lot of money. If it floods the market with cheap comms, it'll be because people are selling at a loss, which is certainly possible.

• JinsunJinsun TN, USA
    After mining, can I get lock picking for strongboxes? :>
  • So it is confirmed that there is no new tradeskill in the wings?
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Greys said:
    So it is confirmed that there is no new tradeskill in the wings?
    No mining-related tradeskill.
    Huh. Neat.
  • @Ahmet hmm ok thanks! Been debating holding off on getting a third when Trade got the new commodities.
  • Rispok said:
    Most of what has been said is accurate. Iron and Steel are obvious choices for things we would like to see more of. Ice, as was also mentioned, can be a pain in the butt every once in a while. The gold/silver is usually fine except during holidays when everybody is making jewellery, but is otherwise not much of an issue for enchanting. Coal would be neat to see as a mined product in relative abundance as well. It's already essentially free if you have friends with trader's satchels, so making it easy to obtain would change next to nothing.
    Silver is always easy to find. Gold is not. Steel isn't so bad now that the mad dash of armoursmithing/weaponsmithing has died down. It has its moments. Ice hasn't been hard at all for a long while even though there's only the one shop, which is surprising.

• I'd just like to know who the hell is buying all the iron? I've gone around to the island shop, on off-peak times and I've yet to see a single iron supply above like... 38.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Ice has always been pretty obnoxious to get when I have looked for it. It'd be nice if there was more than one place for it to be produced.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• As Josoul, definitely steel and iron. I'm guessing iron because of city improvement upkeeps, mostly? It's not a terribly big one in forging, unlike steel... which, especially since a lot of people are still trying to become grandmaster and legendary smiths, is pretty hard to find. I've never really had a problem with gold, per se, but I guess that's more because my satchel has kept me in stock of gold... and up until now, I never had to re-forge fullplate... or forge it for other people(or could).

Coal, definitely don't need no coal... unless you're coming up with some sort of coal sink. Trader satchels could probably fuel all the forges in Achaea for centuries to come(I mean, I'm sitting on almost 2000 coal produced from my satchel alone from their inception... well, and my logosmas stocking, it likes to give me coal once in a while...).

And while it's not a purchasable commodity, per se... really need more sources of stag's horn, just sayin :P
    When Canada rules the world,
    things will be... nii~ice.