Emote-style Fight Club

Comments

• edited May 2015
    Aodfionn said:
    STR heavy class + being 9 foot giant?

Invite.
    Dex rekt.

Your character is 9 feet? o_O
  • If this comes out, there probably needs to be ground rules and things set. Cause I don't think we just want to emote things like our class abilities/mechanics, but things like them playing part would be ideal otherwise it'd be a tad boring. No "traditional" afflictions etc.

Probably needs some talking out.
  • @Aodfionn

Evade in/out to cut your knee tendons and achilles. 9ft turn into 4ft real quick!

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • edited May 2015
    If this comes out, there probably needs to be ground rules and things set. Cause I don't think we just want to emote things like our class abilities/mechanics, but things like them playing part would be ideal otherwise it'd be a tad boring. No "traditional" afflictions etc.

Probably needs some talking out.
    Yes, absolutely this bears discussion. Class abilities -are- important, though.  However, afflictions would have to be handled in a different way.  I had an RP mini fight with Aerek that included a flash of light as an illusion.  I had an RP fight with Vakvyr that included a single dose of a venom. Naturally, you wouldn't want your fight to just be a slow motioned version of regular combat, or that would be immensely dull. Instead, you might toss in one here or there if it is showy or really contributes to the fight.

Also, perhaps some fights will simply be fist fights. It's really up to the participants and the demand of the spectators.
  • edited May 2015
    Thanks to @Crono I now have a slightly used clan that I can use as a tool to help with running this thing.

The big question: Should I keep it IC or OOC?
  • JurixeJurixe Where you least expect it
    I love the idea of rp duels but could never really figure out a system that didn't depend on one party agreeing to lose beforehand or determine what attacks would hit and what wouldn't. Ivory dice seem to be the best middle ground, but I absolutely agree that artefacts and stats should add to points. Perhaps you could use an out of game roller and use party as mentioned to determine win/loss: I feel like there being an element of luck keeps things interesting.

It is definitely something that will go IC, but I think you might have to say that it is an exhibition fight or something to separate it from 'real' fights. I'd also suggest that you might want to require that people watch first and/or go through an interview fight to prevent people from showing up and going 'emote drops five holocaust and you die'.

Otherwise, props to trying to host something new and interesting! 
    If you like my stories, you can find them here:
    Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs

• Jurixe said:
    It is definitely something that will go IC, but I think you might have to say that it is an exhibition fight or something to separate it from 'real' fights. I'd also suggest that you might want to require that people watch first and/or go through an interview fight to prevent people from showing up and going 'emote drops five holocaust and you die'.
    I believe this is the only way @Jurixe and Arditi are ever going to sit down to actually hash things out over the family name. I approve.

• edited May 2015
    Awesome, @Jurixe . Well, it looks like forum vote + messages are all saying IC.  I'm currently going around picking fights IC and initiating people. I'm just doing this freestyle right now while I'm hashing out the details of the stat and roll system.

I wonder if it's allowed to have an OOC help file on an IC clan.  It would be nice to be able to differentiate, but I understand if that's not allowed.

Also, the interview fight is perfect. After I finish this initial few people, I'm going to start doing that.
  • JurixeJurixe Where you least expect it
    @Arditi : that implies two things that are not necessarily true - that there is anything to hash out, and that Jurixe would join such a thing!

@tristitia: I strongly encourage keeping things as IC as possible on a public scale. It might mean that you have to prepare an ooc message or explain over party to new people, but it is generally better not to have ooc documentation in an IC clan. 
    If you like my stories, you can find them here:
    Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs

• Jurixe said:
    @Arditi : that implies two things that are not necessarily true - that there is anything to hash out, and that Jurixe would join such a thing!
    Oh come on, you'd totally tailor a glove just for the occasion.

• RuthRuth Singapore
    I am entering my proteges, @Atalkez and @Xinna into the fight club on my behalf. They'll do me proud, fo' sho'.
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• There are lots of different ways to RP fight, but I will provide an example of the basic flow.

Usually, in a one-on-one setting with someone unfamiliar I will provide defence, offence, and quips all in the same emote (or groups of emotes that are delivered all at once through the use of a line delimiter). That way my partner knows all of the action that s/he must respond to. This can cause the pacing to seem fast for the battle, but slow between emotes because of how long it takes to get the entire chunk out there. However, I find most people are comfortable with this format because it allows their offence and defence to flow smoothly together.  Another option is to have two emotes per side. One for defence (+quip), possible to just use the speech between emotes, and one for offence (+quip). This latter method might end up being the preferred for exhibition fights in order to improve the experience for the audience.

Freestyle example using weaponry and intended injury:
    No attack -- Person A issues a challenge to person B, taunting them as they circle. "Your little sister is closer to being brawl champ than you are, last I heard."

Offence attack follows --Person B snarls and leaps forward, attempting to bring a warhammer down on person A's shoulder. 

Dodge, quip, offence -- Person A , having specifically expected this move, swiftly steps forward. "I didn't make you angry, did I?" Person A says, positioning a dagger in order to cause a gash across Person B's side as they slip through.

Injury, offence -- Person B roars in outrage at the sudden white hot pain that erupts beneath their arm. Reflexively, Person B brings back their elbow, intending a heavy blow to the back of A's head.

This is just freestyle, and in any case, you can always decide to take a big injury and end the fight early, or back off. Even when you sustain an injury, you can choose to take it in a way that lets you keep fighting (that's the best way, honestly. People want to throw their all, and expect you to try to dodge it). 

I will write more later and talk about how rolls factor in.
  • Saeva and Daeir had a pretty intense RP fight last night that sprung out of Saeva actually not wanting to fight. He might have lost an eye and gotten a broken nose. She has a hole in her knee, throat and a gouge out of her eye. Equal rights mean equal fights just got raised to a whole new level.

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    I think outside of very passion-fueled encounters (which are generally rare and short lived), Mel probably wouldn't do this herself. That said, absolutely interested in watching and providing commentary or being indirectly involved before/during/after, as these kinds of fights are pretty epic.

Calling out @Daeir and @Saeva for their shenanigans last night that @Skye, @Tristitia and I had to clean up.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • I am game for this

• When do we begin?
  • If you check clan members, you'll see I've already begun. I'm growing this from a small group so that it's organic, and also so I can work out all the details before there's too many people. I've been trying to slowly find a way to organically meet and recruit people who have made an express interest.
  • Sure, I'll join in. I won't start any fights, but I'll gladly defend myself
    You know, that one thing at that one place, with that one person.

Yea, that one!
  • Okay, I'm still trying to figure out how to use RNG for html5, but I still really wish there was a way to pull a random number into party chat from the game itself so there wouldn't be any question about legitimacy of rolls. 

I'm going with full freestyle for now until I can figure this out, but basically imagine the scenario above but using rolls to determine miss/connect. This does NOT include stat usage in this model, but this style does allow for chance to factor in.

No attack -- Person A issues a challenge to person B, taunting them as they circle. "Your little sister is closer to being brawl champ than you are, last I heard."

(No roll necessary)

Offence attack follows --Person B snarls and leaps forward, attempting to bring a warhammer down on person A's shoulder. 

(Person B rolls 1-20 or 1-100. Gets a number.)
    (Person A rolls the same range. Gets a number that's higher than person B's. Therefore, the attack is dodged/defended.)

Dodge, quip, offence -- Person A , having specifically expected this move, swiftly steps forward. "I didn't make you angry, did I?" Person A says, positioning a dagger in order to cause a gash across Person B's side as they slip through.

(Person A rolls. Gets a number.)
    (Person B rolls. Gets a number lower than person A's. Person B has to take a hit. If fighting until a certain score, add a score point to A's tally.)

Injury, offence -- Person B roars in outrage at the sudden white hot pain that erupts beneath their arm. Reflexively, Person B brings back their elbow, intending a heavy blow to the back of A's head.

You can either fight until a certain score, fight a certain number of emote rounds and add up scores to compare, or end the fight early by your own choice.

• I also wanted to add that I am currently helping at least two people learn how to do this. I'd be happy to pick a fight with you IC and walk you through the idea and style in party chat as we go.
  • Tristitia said:
    I also wanted to add that I am currently helping at least two people learn how to do this. I'd be happy to pick a fight with you IC and walk you through the idea and style in party chat as we go.

Come get some. No practice required!

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Sure, I'll freestyle with you if I can catch you outside of your city.

Also, it's funny to ask on market for a non-aligned physician and then try to explain that I mean I want someone to oversee an RP fight and watch for mortal wounds dealt. I'm absolutely sure there's someone out there that would love to play that role, though. 
    It's very tempting, but might be better reserved for a priest who ehhh maybe more of a rogue forestal type.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • AodfionnAodfionn Seattle, WA
    I was gonna say, healer in the house. Also the head of the healer house. Damnit Tristitia, y u make me work for invite
    Aurora says, "Are you drunk, Aodfionn?"
    Would not trust dead and dying body to Aodfionn IC. I've seen what you do when you're angry. :silenced: 
  • I'm going through my list! I just want to make this go slowly so I don't get in over my head too quickly.
  • AodfionnAodfionn Seattle, WA
    The odds of being eaten are only around 40%.
    Aurora says, "Are you drunk, Aodfionn?"
  • HalosHalos The Reaches
    Eh, despite his predeliction with heretic face-punching and what is best described as devotion-rape, it's probably not worse than actually physically eating an eyeball. Would totally trust my injured relatives with Aodfionn (the less likeable ones anyway).

A frenzied cleric screams, "Like more than one halo!"
  • Can confirm, would trust @Halos with @Aodfionn.