Vegas Meet 2015 - Meet the Gods!

Comments

• TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    2011, yep!
  • MayMay Texas
    None in Texas though?
  • forget Texas.. NYC next
    The biggest issue in a lot of locations is finding suitable accommodations. We need somewhere that offers suites large enough to hold 30 - 40 people comfortably, which is a big ask in -most- cities. The only option in most of those places is booking a conference hall or a ballroom, and that usually runs upwards of multiple thousands of dollars per day.
  • Morthif said:
    forget Texas.. NYC next
    Yes please! That's north enough for us Canadians to drive down without melting! (too much)
  • Tecton said:
    The biggest issue in a lot of locations is finding suitable accommodations. We need somewhere that offers suites large enough to hold 30 - 40 people comfortably, which is a big ask in -most- cities. The only option in most of those places is booking a conference hall or a ballroom, and that usually runs upwards of multiple thousands of dollars per day.
    Plus I have a personal, deep-seated hatred of hotel conference halls and ballrooms.
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    May said:
    None in Texas though?
    My thoughts exactly.
    Huh. Neat.
  • Should hold it in Australia next year. Can hire out houses in areas for a couple hundred bucks a night. Nice houses. Houses with pools and verandahs and beaches a block away.
  • AmanuAmanu Forge Tree
    Tahquil said:
    Should hold it in Australia next year. Can hire out houses in areas for a couple hundred bucks a night. Nice houses. Houses with pools and verandahs and beaches a block away.
    I have to save up in case that one happens.

• Given I may still be unemployed at this time I -may- take a trip but I'll need a few more reasons/locales to visit to justify the trip. suggestions?
  • edited June 2015
    Seriously? You need suggestions on where to visit in the American West? 

Throw a dart at a map. ;)

Are you asking about things within, say, a couple hours drive of Las Vegas, or things within a close flight (say, no longer than 90 minutes or so) from Vegas?

• In general, I don't know much about 'merica sights to see. If I came over I'd want to spend another 2-3weeks on the general landmass. All I know is not go to hospital over there.

favourite things from last trip :wandering aimlessly and checking out the buskers on Santa Monica pier, fireworks, cedar point roller coasters, the people I met and talking about pivotal events as a non-American I have no idea about (I now know about the Alamo and Quakers!)

id like to see wildlife. Groundhogs, skunks, I want to hear a bullfrog grunt. I would also love to drive Route 66 in a muscle car with a warboy strapped to the boot playing amazing 80's guitar rifts as I drove.
  • And I need a Californian flag because bears.
  • If someone was flying in from overseas, and wanted a 2-3 week trip, I'd advise starting in Vegas, traveling west, then north up the Pacific Coast Highway. You'll get to experience Vegas, Death Valley, San Diego, L.A., then meander your way up through California and it's plethora of sites. Once you get north of San Francisco, I'd muscle up to Portland and experience heroin, hipsters, and unemployment, then head to Seattle and fly home from there.

...I should be a damn travel agent.
  • Oh and relative to the meet: I won't be able to make it. That week I'm taking my daughter apartment hunting for her first year at U of M! (I'm totally proud and just had to brag, sorry.)
  • JinsunJinsun TN, USA
    edited June 2015
    Yo... why are you looking to ballroom/conference spaces for 40-50?! There are definitely smaller venues that aren't thousands. Just takes looking. We've got a neat new place in Memphis called the Rec room that rents out "living rooms" for 8-10 people to play video games for $10/hr. You can get larger reservations, and I'm guessing multiple rooms. If you did say like 8 hours a day and 4 rooms, if they cut you the same rate, it'd be like $640, split between 40 people that's like $16 a person with zero overhead for the venue.

Edit: Not saying that rooms for 8-10 people suit our needs, but saying there are cheaper options. (found our wedding venue seating up to 250 for $500).

• edited June 2015
    The first time my whole summer is booked (for a really awesome reason, though).

• Jinsun said:
    Yo... why are you looking to ballroom/conference spaces for 40-50?! There are definitely smaller venues that aren't thousands. Just takes looking. We've got a neat new place in Memphis called the Rec room that rents out "living rooms" for 8-10 people to play video games for $10/hr. You can get larger reservations, and I'm guessing multiple rooms. If you did say like 8 hours a day and 4 rooms, if they cut you the same rate, it'd be like $640, split between 40 people that's like $16 a person with zero overhead for the venue.

Edit: Not saying that rooms for 8-10 people suit our needs, but saying there are cheaper options. (found our wedding venue seating up to 250 for $500).

We have high standards! We also want the common area 24 hours a day, and to be all one space. And no hotel ballrooms or conference spaces, because I hate those.
  • JinsunJinsun TN, USA
    Hey, those aren't bad things to want. If you can pull off your wish list on a budget, do it. 
  • AmanuAmanu Forge Tree
    Any news on location?

• Amanu said:
    Any news on location?

No final location just yet, but will be at the south end of the Strip if that helps with hotel planning and such!
  • That's Circus Circus side of town?
    MGM/Mandalay Bay etc.
  • KyrKyr
    edited June 2015
    Note: You can stay on either end of the strip and get back and forth with ease. There's a monorail that goes from the Sahara to the MGM, with stops up and down the Strip. You can buy weekend passes and such for it. Also, there's the bus, but I wouldn't suggest that. The bus is shite.
  • Ohhh nice.
  • Right, so. I went and got prices for the monorail.

Single ride: $5
    24 hr pass: $12
    2 day pass: $22
    3 day pass: $28
    4 day pass: $36
    5 day pass: $43
    7 day pass: $56

• Can we fill a garbage can full of fireworks and set it off in the desert!?!?
  • Tahquil said:
    Can we fill a garbage can full of fireworks and set it off in the desert!?!?
    What no one else knows can't hurt them :p
    You know, that one thing at that one place, with that one person.

Yea, that one!