Shrines

So, after all the changes to hunting/denizens, there also have been tremendous impact on Shrines as they work.

When the essence was upped for denizens, it made dropping/raising a shrine extremely easy to do. In an effort to fix this, I think it would also be a good time to discuss what we can do to make Shrines more of a fun mechanic for everyone involved.

I personally would like to see a system of Influence, which has certain benefits based upon your Order Influence which you can build by raising shrines. The more shrines you have, the stronger the boosts can become. Possibly have options, so that you could select a boost that is Order members only, or you could do one that is City wide. This would obviously give benefit to having a large shrine network, and also give benefit to the player to actively try to ensure that shrines aren't being tossed out. I think removing the Essence count from players will help alleviate some of the issue with dying during shrine defense/offense. Also with this, I would think we could remove some of the things that we have now (Worldburn, the lesser damage one, the travel one, etc) that people rarely use except to grief other players (hi worldburn).

Also, we could have a "cap" of Influence. Meaning if you go to raise a shrine, but the cap has been reached, then you cannot raise that shrine until you have defiled one. This can make it so that if you really want to make your Diety the most Influential, then you have to actively combat the other Order for their Influence. I think reducing the amount of people that -only- hunt for their Diety is a good thing. IMO if you are devoting yourself to that Diety, then any other Diety is an affront to your entire lifestyle and RP-wise you should want to destroy them as quickly as possible.

Anyway, just an idea that I had. If you have one, or would like to add to this one please do so! Thanks for reading.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.

Comments

• MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    what happened to the shrine rework that was being worked on 2-3 years ago?

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Atalkez said:
    IMO if you are devoting yourself to that Diety, then any other Diety is an affront to your entire lifestyle and RP-wise you should want to destroy them as quickly as possible.
    Would not work for allied deities (Aurora & Deucalion, Gaia & Artemis, etc.), or even some deities who might not be openly allied yet are still not (in general) opposed to the existence of one another. It works in the Mhaldor sense, but not across the spectrum.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• AodfionnAodfionn Seattle, WA
    No thank you. Proposed system would work for Mhaldor, but not for any of the other cities.
    Aurora says, "Are you drunk, Aodfionn?"
  • Atalkez said:

So, after all the changes to hunting/denizens, there also have been tremendous impact on Shrines as they work.

When the essence was upped for denizens, it made dropping/raising a shrine extremely easy to do. In an effort to fix this, I think it would also be a good time to discuss what we can do to make Shrines more of a fun mechanic for everyone involved.

I personally would like to see a system of Influence, which has certain benefits based upon your Order Influence which you can build by raising shrines. The more shrines you have, the stronger the boosts can become. Possibly have options, so that you could select a boost that is Order members only, or you could do one that is City wide. This would obviously give benefit to having a large shrine network, and also give benefit to the player to actively try to ensure that shrines aren't being tossed out. I think removing the Essence count from players will help alleviate some of the issue with dying during shrine defense/offense. Also with this, I would think we could remove some of the things that we have now (Worldburn, the lesser damage one, the travel one, etc) that people rarely use except to grief other players (hi worldburn).

Also, we could have a "cap" of Influence. Meaning if you go to raise a shrine, but the cap has been reached, then you cannot raise that shrine until you have defiled one. This can make it so that if you really want to make your Diety the most Influential, then you have to actively combat the other Order for their Influence. I think reducing the amount of people that -only- hunt for their Diety is a good thing. IMO if you are devoting yourself to that Diety, then any other Diety is an affront to your entire lifestyle and RP-wise you should want to destroy them as quickly as possible.

Anyway, just an idea that I had. If you have one, or would like to add to this one please do so! Thanks for reading.

Just to clarify. You're welcome to propose an auxiliary option.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • KatzchenKatzchen Mhaldor
    edited May 2015
    Make shrines harder to drop please. Shrine conflict annoying. Order spam gets really old really quick. It should really take a coordinated group, or at least a lot of effort from an individual, not just wait till no one else is around then drop ten shrines in three hours.

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

• CarmellCarmell Eastern Washington

Katzchen that was a coordinated group

• AodfionnAodfionn Seattle, WA
    This may seem dumb and novitiate from the eyes of a non-PKer, but I would really love to see Shrines be given some sort of actual effect and purpose other than being a place you can WB from or offer at; more like an outward extension of the city destruction system or the War system, wherein the Shrines became less a total of "How many can we keep up FOREVER" to a more "who can hold on to more for during a set period of time," like a global KotH without having Cyrene's zerg horde lag me out.
    Aurora says, "Are you drunk, Aodfionn?"
  • TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    Definitely bring essence values back down, it actually feels easier to raise/drop shrines now, looking at the rate my essence is rocketing with short bashing runs
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• Yus. Make shrines fun, plz.

• Aodfionn said:
    This may seem dumb and novitiate from the eyes of a non-PKer, but I would really love to see Shrines be given some sort of actual effect and purpose other than being a place you can WB from or offer at; more like an outward extension of the city destruction system or the War system, wherein the Shrines became less a total of "How many can we keep up FOREVER" to a more "who can hold on to more for during a set period of time," like a global KotH without having Cyrene's zerg horde lag me out.

This is entirely the point of my suggestion. Shrines are 100% a mode of conflict at current, and I would like to see that change somewhat. You -should- have to fight for your shrine network if you want to be the biggest ones around. You shouldn't also -only- fight for them.

I used to play a game that was a nation that you created, and leveled up. As you leveled up, in order to get stronger you had to get resources that were on the map. To get them, you had to go to them and situate a block of land on them, and fortify it or whatever. Other nations who wanted that resource could at any time, come and try to take it from you. Coordinated efforts to steal an entire resource set from a nation was a common thing, called res raping. If your team wasn't strong enough to stop this from happening, then you could log in at half the power you were before. You would then have to work harder to get them back from the now-stronger nation.

Anyway, my point is this: Shrines aren't guaranteed, and you shouldn't think they are. There needs to be a system in place that rewards the continued efforts of a city that consistently works on their shrine network, versus having the same things that an Order that has 1 shrine has access to.

In regards to the dual deity issue, sure I get that. You could halve the Influence per shrine generated of those deities, leading to them wanting to put out more. For the Order based stuff, these reduced values can be adjusted to allow that Order access to the 10 Influence ability at 5, which is the same as Mhaldor having 10 Influence. For the City-based stuff, they would require the full Influence but both deities count towards it. If your city has 1 Patron, you get 1 source of Influence. If you city has 2, then you have 2 sources and can reap those benefits. Truly, you could have each Order do a separate City wide effect and have more of an effect than a 1 deity city in that respect.

Anyway, it's just an idea. If it won't work that's fine, but the system as it is isn't exactly fun or engaging for anyone involved - unless you only hunt for essence continually I guess.

• Hahahaha.

Wooow, Restraint vs. Let's use this as much as we can now because we know it's going to get nerfed after this.
    Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."
  • Carmell said:

Not really coordinated, just 11 people making sure there's no chance of conflict, which is the worst implementation of the current shrine system.

My suggestion will always be the old suggestions of something that requires presence in the room for X amount of time to drop/raise a shrine. Five minutes or so, allowing defenders to group and respond.
    Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

• I'd say only make order members allowed to drop other shrines as well.
    Would stop the problem with random nobodies who have vendettas and make it a more organized event. If it takes one to raise a shrine, should take one to drop a shrine.
    also would stop the random alt-defiliers.
  • Hanging around for 5 minutes after defiling don't make much of a difference in my timezone.
  • Aepas said:
    I'd say only make order members allowed to drop other shrines as well.
    Would stop the problem with random nobodies who have vendettas and make it a more organized event. If it takes one to raise a shrine, should take one to drop a shrine.
    No. If this was the case, Orders should be unable to enemy people who are not a member of another Order. 

• Borran said:
    Aepas said:
    No. If this was the case, Orders should be unable to enemy people who are not a member of another Order. 
    This would be 100% fine. No need for Theocracies to have Worldburn city defense and other cities to not. Remove it altogether sounds good to me.
    Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

• KatzchenKatzchen Mhaldor
    Carmell said:

No idea what you're talking about, I'm referring to in general.

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

• TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    Aepas said:
    though, if a non-affiliated party takes offense to something a God does or says, and said party is not in an order, they would be forced to join one to take down the shrine - or hunt the members of the order. Both things are valid from a RP perspective, except the second can easily be construed as harassment.

Similarly, if someone gets branded a traitor to an order and wants to RP a phase of finding a new path to walk/a new set of teachings to follow, but still wants to take revenge on said order because he feels that he has been wronged, same point as my previous.

Sure, you -could- hire people to drop shrines for you, ..which'd work, I suppose, but that's not in everyone's style of handling conflicts.
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• Exactly my thoughts, Tharvis.. but you worded it more eloquently than I. 

But I'd rather have the option to fight my own battle against an Order without having to find round-about ways of doing it. 

• I agree that the essence cost of dying should be scrapped (you're already paying for that death damnit :().

I agree that it'd be awesome of we gained something from putting the effort in to maintain a shrine network.

Currently I don't think there's any point in making shrines harder to drop as they're not exactly hard to raise and honestly they uh, don't really do anything. I can agree though that if some material benefit was added to actually having a network, dropping them should probably be harder as well.

Perhaps some kind of tick benefit, so at the end of every month, the City/Order gains something based one the amount of shrines standing at that point?
  • What if shrines in an area siphoned the essence from all the mobs in that area when they were killed? 

I like what Tibitia's idea was... It'd be really cool if each Divine chose a day during the year and that day was their Holy Day. And that'd be when that tick happened and gave benefits to the Order members based on their shrine influence at the time. That way each Order had their own influence ebb and flow and the conflict would get more intense the closer to that Holy Day they got. Enemies would try to cut down their shrines, they'd be trying to get more influence.

• Tibitha said:
    I agree that the essence cost of dying should be scrapped (you're already paying for that death damnit :().

I agree that it'd be awesome of we gained something from putting the effort in to maintain a shrine network.

Currently I don't think there's any point in making shrines harder to drop as they're not exactly hard to raise and honestly they uh, don't really do anything. I can agree though that if some material benefit was added to actually having a network, dropping them should probably be harder as well.

Perhaps some kind of tick benefit, so at the end of every month, the City/Order gains something based one the amount of shrines standing at that point?

Prior to changes, this is correct. However since the changes they also upped the essence that each denizen brings, while not altering how much it takes to raise/defile.

Meaning, Sidhe can drop 5 shrines versus the previous 2 or whatever that equation was/is.

• it would be fine if it all scaled, but after the changes there are issues above the fact that you need fewer corpses. Since each corpse is worth more essence, you can drop the shrine much faster, before someone can respond to defend. Also to raise takes half your willpower so that becomes the major bottleneck.

If the reduced the willpower cost and increased the offer balance, you could bring it closer to workable again, but that might bring other problems. It needs a proper rework. Currently it is completely broken.

• Tharvis said:
    Aepas said:
    though, if a non-affiliated party takes offense to something a God does or says, and said party is not in an order, they would be forced to join one to take down the shrine - or hunt the members of the order. Both things are valid from a RP perspective, except the second can easily be construed as harassment.

Similarly, if someone gets branded a traitor to an order and wants to RP a phase of finding a new path to walk/a new set of teachings to follow, but still wants to take revenge on said order because he feels that he has been wronged, same point as my previous.

Sure, you -could- hire people to drop shrines for you, ..which'd work, I suppose, but that's not in everyone's style of handling conflicts.
    I never really thought that a person who was not involved in an order should have the ability to affect things that happen within an order. Shrines included. Shrines are not just stone and slab you put together in the world, it's risen from the ground through an act of faith and further strengthened by the essence of creatures and people.

I'd say that people not of faith should ever feel entitled to attack an object of faith.

Here's the fix. Order members can remove the defensive buffer on shrines, allowing it to be sanctified or defiled for a specific amount of time. Other than that, order members can always sanctify/defile through the buffer thingy.

There ya go, causes teamwork, sets goals, and makes it so one solo dragon without a care in the world mess up everyones day.
  • Ah I have not defiled since the bashing changes. I wasn't aware essence had also been scaled.

While I agree it should probably be looked at based on what you said, it probably shouldnt be a linear increase.

For example if a pirate was 1000 essence before and took 20s to kill, I assume currently if it's health has been increased by 50% and now takes 30s to kill, they've upped it to around 1500 essence.

While in isolation this seems fair they probably should consider the fact that it allows you to drop shrines faster as well as the fact there's just suddenly more essence available.

(It's still not AS broken as you're making it out to be. Acquiring that amount of essence still took the same time/effort. You guys just got hit by a large coordinated group of people who really wanted to bash).

Tl;Dr I agree they should probably be increased but the increase shouldnt be linear with the drop increase.
  • Tibitha said:
    Ah I have not defiled since the bashing changes. I wasn't aware essence had also been scaled.

While I agree it should probably be looked at based on what you said, it probably shouldnt be a linear increase.

For example if a pirate was 1000 essence before and took 20s to kill, I assume currently if it's health has been increased by 50% and now takes 30s to kill, they've upped it to around 1500 essence.

While in isolation this seems fair they probably should consider the fact that it allows you to drop shrines faster as well as the fact there's just suddenly more essence available.

(It's still not AS broken as you're making it out to be. Acquiring that amount of essence still took the same time/effort. You guys just got hit by a large coordinated group of people who really wanted to bash).

Tl;Dr I agree they should probably be increased but the increase shouldnt be linear with the drop increase.

Shrines have been broken lot longer than this recent release of changes though.

You said it yourself, shrines do -nothing- in any practical sense of the game. They give no buffs, you get nothing for having a lot/a little/none of them. You have no reason to really defend them other than RP, and you have no reason to raise them (see: Babel).

These things need to be addressed, and now is as good a time as any to begin brainstorming on ideas, given that there are -more- issues at the moment

• Atalkez said:
    Tibitha said:
    Ah I have not defiled since the bashing changes. I wasn't aware essence had also been scaled.

Shrines have been broken lot longer than this recent release of changes though.

You said it yourself, shrines do -nothing- in any practical sense of the game. They give no buffs, you get nothing for having a lot/a little/none of them. You have no reason to really defend them other than RP, and you have no reason to raise them (see: Babel).

These things need to be addressed, and now is as good a time as any to begin brainstorming on ideas, given that there are -more- issues at the moment

Oh not arguing with any of that! :)
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    Shrines give plenty of buffs. They just aren't often seen since they only benefit order members. I like shrine conflict as it is though, so we'll see.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • all that shrine's need are very small tweaks.  It serves it's purpose as an instantaneous conflict starter via defiling and a way to get non-coms involved via hunting corpses.

Developers would better spend their time fleshing out a new cool daily conflict mechanism (maybe new icon thingy) that doesn't require a player to initiate it.  I get tired of logging in for conflict, creating that conflict, and getting verbally berated for being an inconvenience... Let's take some of this out of the player's hands plz.

• edited May 2015
    Aodfionn said:
    It's swarm. You n00b. And it's not my fault half of my brood is Cyrenian.