Mark Changes

Mark changes seem awesome but.... don't seem to be working?

I'v been executing contract assassin for NAME X gold for REASON among other variations of this, with no juice. It just says I am not in the presence of someone who can deal with that sort of business... And I'v been to 4 of the cowled figures in bars!

Once this is smoothed out, new system should be awesome!

Comments

• Well, unless there is a new syntax, but that wasn't mentioned in the post!
  • You're throwing an extra "for" in there, chief.

• also you're a Targ we don't hire assassins.. hire champion 
  • He can hire whatever he wants to hire.

• You have to be at one of the relevant mobs now to hire. They're the cowled figures (see HELP ASSASSINS).
  • KayeilKayeil Washington State
    Majin was trying to hire at the Ashtan one and the one in the Brass Lantern Inn and it wasn't working for him either... He used the syntax from the file, and then tried many different variations to no avail.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• They are now correctly flagged as being contracters. Entirely my falt!
  • * If the contract target goes dormant, a contract will automatically complete after a certain amount of time, granting the customer the experience reward.

How much time?

• Month change or serenade, according to the Clan That Shall Not Be Named.
    Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

• By the contract completing, does that mean the target experiences a death or no?
  • @Makarios While you're at it, you forgot to flag Zuko as a contractor!!
  • You misfiled your I-9, @Zuko
  • Holy Tecton you're right, damn it @Rispok

• What is this about targets being notified a Mark has taken a contract out on them? like bounties? I was told IC by someone that they had received a message saying something like: a member of the Marks has taken a contract out on you.

Not gonne lie, I thought the new Mark changes were pretty neat, but this is kind of a let down. Defeats the whole purpose of contracts being paid assassinations. I could perhaps see this happening if an Ivory Mark takes a contract, maybe, since they are supposed to be the 'honorable defenders,' and what-not. But for Quisalis? We're ruthless assassins who come out of nowhere.
  • Ethoas said:
    What is this about targets being notified a Mark has taken a contract out on them? like bounties? I was told IC by someone that they had received a message saying something like: a member of the Marks has taken a contract out on you.

Not gonne lie, I thought the new Mark changes were pretty neat, but this is kind of a let down. Defeats the whole purpose of contracts being paid assassinations. I could perhaps see this happening if an Ivory Mark takes a contract, maybe, since they are supposed to be the 'honorable defenders,' and what-not. But for Quisalis? We're ruthless assassins who come out of nowhere.
    I feel like assassins shouldn't give the person a message (though maybe a message on kill to make clear to the victim that that's why they were killed and they weren't being randomly ganked).

And champions should send out an automatic letter or something. That would be a lot neater than a message too, which inevitably feels kind of OOC.
  • edited May 2015
    Ethoas said:
    What is this about targets being notified a Mark has taken a contract out on them? like bounties? I was told IC by someone that they had received a message saying something like: a member of the Marks has taken a contract out on you.
    That's good, if true. Someone you've never met, spoken to or offended in any way suddenly sniping you to death out of nowhere while you're bashing isn't exactly fun. This way at least you know there's a price on your head and it's not just some maniac out to get himself shrubbed. Seems like it will probably cut down on people hiring on the assassins for killing them for no reason, and most likely reduce griefing-related issues as well.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Slink said:
    Ethoas said:
    That's good, if true. Someone you've never met, spoken to or offended in any way suddenly sniping you to death out of nowhere while you're bashing isn't exactly fun. This way at least you know there's a price on your head and it's not just some maniac out to get himself shrubbed. Seems like it will probably cut down on people hiring on the assassins for killing them for no reason, and most likely reduce griefing-related issues as well.
    This is not really a valid point, since you get a message if you die to the person, and you should always ask someone why they are attacking you before issuing them.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    Ethoas said:

There's a randomised delay before the message is sent, and no identifiable information is presented. So an enterprising mark could, in theory, completed the job before they're even warned!

• Shirszae said:
    This is not really a valid point, since you get a message if you die to the person, and you should always ask someone why they are attacking you before issuing them.
    Didn't know that. Doesn't help when NPCs keep getting the killing blows and the would-be assassin won't say a word, of course, but that's good. I still think it's a good idea to notify the target that someone has put out and/or accepted a contract on them, so they can at least make a guess as to why they're being hired on, or by who.
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Tecton said:
    Ethoas said:

There's a randomised delay before the message is sent, and no identifiable information is presented. So an enterprising mark could, in theory, completed the job before they're even warned!

The minimum delay needs to be increased then. Klendathu took a contract from the board and within a minute, the target was asking on Market who had the contract.

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    The primary goal of the delay is to prevent a situation where you claim a contract, then your target parses WHO (with third eye) and figures out who the assassin/champion is.