Account bound Artefacts.

I think it would be cool for Artefacts to be able be used by all characters tied to your email address, since you can't play them at the same time anyways. I would definitely give me more incentive to buy the more expensive artefacts.

Comments

• A big part of why shrubbing hurts so much is because if you're addicted enough to come back, you have to outfit another char.  Once multi-class comes out, a lot of people will probably have even more invested in a single character.  That said, if you're tying the artifact to multiple accounts, accountability shouldn't be a problem.

Then people will argue that it would hit IRE in the pocketbook, and they might be right, but I'm not entirely sure that's how something like this would play out.  So instead of just saying "no way" (which I predict you will hear a lot in this thread), I actually think you might have a point.  I will probably NEVER buy a veil, despite having a huge amount of artifacts, but you know what, if I could use it across a couple characters, I'd consider it.  I'm also just never going to outfit another character to the extent I have Jules, period.  Something that could work for a player like me, would be to allow me to pay a fee (some percentage of the original purchase price of each artifact) to be able to use that artifact on a second character.  It's a model where you actually might get more money out of people, and they'd feel like that money spent was worthwhile. 

• KasyaKasya Tennessee
    Coming from someone who's spent a decent amount of money starting over in Achaea recently just for something new and fun that I might actually play? This would be brilliant. 

Seriously. 

(Cause I really want my level 2 belt, not my level 1...)
  • Maybe pay a one time fee to access artefacts from your other characters? Like a Permit.
  • This would be really, really awesome, and really really crappy at the same time.

Really awesome because I could start a new character with all of my artefacts.

Crappy because Jhui could do the same and he has more than me.

Side note, this has been brought up a handful of times before and has always been met with a resounding 'No'.

• If they did do this... Think of the money they would make off all the lessons people would be buying credits for.
  • Multiclass is basically going to give you this anyways. Just without the option of playing multi-orgs.

• @Klendathu  you know. I didn't think about credits earned IG. @Santar  Well, I'm ready for Multiclass then. I'm tired of paying for changing classes. I'd have the amount of Artefacts Jhui has if I hadn't changed so much.
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    edited May 2015
    Just give an option to select like 5 arties to make account bound excluding things like earrings.

Eta: number was completely arbitrary.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • Like Santar says, multiclass does give you a good dose of this (getting to play around with several classes if you like and not have to get additional artifacts).  As far as Jhuina, I mean, I kid, of course, and it does look odd to us, but... it would probably just mean she'd get out of the newbie areas that much faster, and that's probably best for everyone.  Of course the earrings would be silly/wrong to include as something you could ever share between chars. 

• AustereAustere Tennessee
    While, as a customer,  I completely stand by this idea,  I do understand the reason it has been cast down numerous times.  I think what is being asked here is the exact same thing as multiclass,  yet offers you the functionality to choose between classes and play styles a bit more fluidly.  From a roleplay perspective, I think this would reduce characters requirement to change factions just to open up the ability to play different classes.  The fact you would still be forced to invest heavily in lessons, including survival and avoidance, actually makes this look more like a win for IRE than multiclass does.  

IF this was considered,  I would prefer it be in the form of an artefact vault in Delos that you can withdraw from or add to, for those of us who truly like fleshing out a characters growth from A to B. Disallow all unique arties such as auction items and earrings.  Earrings, as much as we all pretend they don't, are fed off of the love between two individuals.  It makes no sense to allow anyone but those two characters to use the same earrings. 
  • Won't ever happen purely because it's entirely unfair on those people who already have multiple characters and have brought artifacts on them all. Think about all the tradeins that would occur, all the refunds demanded because someone has spent  thousands of dollars so their four characters each have SOA and bracelets.

It would effectively be cutting deeply into IRE profits margins if people were only buying one of each item instead of outfitting each character separately.
  • If you could do this with artefacts acquired IG (such as through buying credits with gold, or even as gifts), it'd be seconds abuse.

I doubt they thoroughly tracked whether any given artefact was bought solely via OOC means or via IG means somehow, so that means most likely any existing artefacts wouldn't benefit at all.

Furthermore, it means that you'd only be able to benefit from artefacts you buy directly. This isn't such a bad thing, though - since it'd be so controlled, they could charge some markup to ideally cover up the profit loss issue people are mentioning.
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    sharing arties is not possible for  me, due to all the customisation I do for my stuff >_> 

• Skye said:
    sharing arties is not possible for  me, due to all the customisation I do for my stuff >_> 

For someone like you, they could, in addition to selling access to the artefact power, sell you a new "shell" for it for a small fee (that part really should be small). 
  • Everyone would know Rangor's Alt just by the arties he carries.

• Just starting tritrans with a "beginners" package based off the value of your main's escrow would be fine with me. I wouldn't want to start out omni artied.
  • edited May 2015

Rangor you are speaking my language, and this is why I think IRE could come out ahead on this.  What they could do is, look at a bunch of characters like you (and even me) and get an idea of how much people are actually spending on alts when you look at the average.  I have a feeling they might find it worth it to consider the variations we've discussed here.  Everyone wins.  They keep players happy (and playing) and we spend money and feel good about it.  As the OP noted, they'd also have a good chance of selling more big ticket items period.  Only they can really know because they know how much we've all spent and what we've spent it on.  If it's worthwhile - make it IRE wide as a matter of fact (after reviewing player purchase behavior in the other games).   

EDIT:  and as noted, they're already down this road somewhat with multiclass, which is going to be all win. 

• I wanted to submit this as an idea, and likely still will.

HOUSE SHOPS WHERE YOU CAN RENT ARTEFACTS.

So, much like a library where you can checkout books (sometimes for a fee) to use, why not allow Houses to purchase artefacts -for the house vault- or something. They can't be stolen or anything stupid like that, but the House can use their credits if they choose to purchase a lvl 1 con belt, or rings of endurance or what-have-you. They purchase them for the house as a whole, and they are able to be rented for a period of 24 hours for a fee.

This puts gold back into the House coffers, involves the House credits to be used rather than just hoarded over years with nothing much else to do with them except build new rooms in the House Hall that can be broken into or so on. It allows younger members a taste of what artefact life is like without worrying about the reset timers to friends at the same time :smile: 
  • Rangor said:
    Just starting tritrans with a "beginners" package based off the value of your main's escrow would be fine with me. I wouldn't want to start out omni artied.
    Doing so would mean that encouraging alts, which would adversely effect the culture of Achaea by diversifying the character populace!

• TeghaineTeghaine Cape Town - South Africa - Africa (thatcontinentthatlookslikesouthamerica)
    Will give people incentive for using the same email to link their characters, thus lessening people who might make alts and multiplay and such
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Part of the fun of making alts is decking them out in level 3 stuff before they leave the newbie areas though :/ Thinking about it, every time the promo is the artefact package sales on the website is actually when I create a new alt because it's just so convenient to get all those bundles of arties (plus buying gems and veils for people is the ultimate expression of love).
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• If Achaea has enough Kyrras, I'd actually be surprised they did multiclass, because that would be silly as long as enough of your customers are saying "PLEASE, TAKE MY MONEY, ALL OF IT, NO REALLY YOU MISSED SOME HERE LOOK".  Also, I hope that Australia has a great pension system. 
  • Would be more interested in making an alt if this was a thing.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Kross said:
    ...they are able to be rented for a period of 24 hours for a fee.

Rather than 24 hours,  make it hourly (or a block of like 3 hours) and that you can rent for a set time in advance with a cooldown inbetween rentings. This prevents squabbling amongst house members who want to use it. I can see one disgruntled person purposely logging in after they reset to rent them and prevent anyone else from using them. This would make it so that more people can use them for hunting/fighting without anyone "hogging all the artes"
    You know, that one thing at that one place, with that one person.

Yea, that one!
  • It would be an interesting gold sink if we could have rentable artefacts from Delos. You pay a ridiculous amount of gold so that in the long run it is cheaper to buy the artefact, get it for 1-3 hours then it returns to Delos and you can't use it for a year. Sorta like trial runs but of course only for selected artefacts (no Grimores or daggers of reincarnation etc).
  • AustereAustere Tennessee
    Tahquil said:
    It would be an interesting gold sink if we could have rentable artefacts from Delos. You pay a ridiculous amount of gold so that in the long run it is cheaper to buy the artefact, get it for 1-3 hours then it returns to Delos and you can't use it for a year. Sorta like trial runs but of course only for selected artefacts (no Grimores or daggers of reincarnation etc).
    If borrowing a Grimoire or Gem of reincarnation only lasted an hour,  and defaults back to what you were pre-borrow, I  even support those being added.  Choosing a race and traits are still important enough that I  see no reason not to.  .  There really should be a way to test arties before you buy them that is more direct than begging, borrowing, and pleading. 
  • AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    Kross said:
    I wanted to submit this as an idea, and likely still will.

HOUSE SHOPS WHERE YOU CAN RENT ARTEFACTS.

So, much like a library where you can checkout books (sometimes for a fee) to use, why not allow Houses to purchase artefacts -for the house vault- or something. They can't be stolen or anything stupid like that, but the House can use their credits if they choose to purchase a lvl 1 con belt, or rings of endurance or what-have-you. They purchase them for the house as a whole, and they are able to be rented for a period of 24 hours for a fee.

This puts gold back into the House coffers, involves the House credits to be used rather than just hoarded over years with nothing much else to do with them except build new rooms in the House Hall that can be broken into or so on. It allows younger members a taste of what artefact life is like without worrying about the reset timers to friends at the same time :smile: 
    I remember inquiring about this for stupid artefacts like a hammer of forging for the Templars.  That didn't go too well.

Personally I think temporary arties like the ethereal shrouds but applied to temporary stat boosters would work, just don't let them stack beyond level 3 or what not since that could be game breaking.