An artefact to remotely inform of an area's denizen population

Useful in bashing and questing. Could be wholly remote, like from your city, or it could require you to be in the general area.

Could work like angel presences:

Turning your crystal globe, you trace your finger and stop at Tasur'ke.
You sense the following presences:
Elder guy at <location>
Diver guy at <location>
Minstrel at <location>

Another version could be much more vague -

You unfurl a map of golden wyrmskin hide, laying your eyes on Creville Asylum.
The population of Creville Asylum is reduced to a hardly a soul.

You hold up a pane of glass and gaze through it, seeing the distant Shamtota Hills.
The population of Shamtota Hills is bounteous and full.

Comments

• As a denizen sympathizer and proponent of fair competition in general, I'm gonna go with no.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • I'd say cool with a couple of notes
    -Make it limited uses, maybe a reward for the 'do this 21 days' promo
    -Make it an auctioned item
    -Charge a hell of a lot for it
    -Make it buyable for a hell of a lot of gold
  • Requirement to be in the area would be fine.
  • edited May 2015
    Sounds good to me, I'd probably try to buy one. You can check which denizens are alive by using WALK TO <denizen>, so it's not like this isn't already possible.
  • Someone else has been playing some of the other games and wondering why they have all the good things :)  (maybe not, but seems likely).  If not this, at least let people "scout" and area they're in and see what's there (and definitely do NOT make it an auction item if you do it that way).  
  • Bash out the area, do II CORPSE get a list of all the denizen ID #s, then create an alias that does:

send("walk to 123|walk to 234|walk to 345|walk to 456|walk to 567|walk to 678|walk to 789")

Won't give you locations, but you can just hunt as many as you find, then use the alias then "agree" to navigate to the stragglers.
  • edited May 2015
    Walking to a bunch of denizens at once like that would be frowned on by the admin, because of the performance impact (I asked about it after making a script for it).

I'm sure several people do it anyways, though.
  • TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    Sarathai said:
    Just use the Penwize method.

By which I mean that if he's left one of his eagles at the entrance to the area and you can see him online, don't bother.
    He deactivates his gem?  :o
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Tharvis said:
    Sarathai said:

By which I mean that if he's left one of his eagles at the entrance to the area and you can see him online, don't bother.
    Dragonsense / scry / mindsense / etc

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    Klendathu said:
    Tharvis said:
    Sarathai said:

Dragonsense / scry / mindsense / etc
    fun fact, this also gives the "you see nothing but darkness" if the target is in a bed. (farsee)
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• Just pretend my eagles are me showing up on qw!  I try to remember to recall them before I leave.
  • Precisely!
  • regretting this thread all of a sudden
  • Sena said:
    Walking to a bunch of denizens at once like that would be frowned on by the admin, because of the performance impact (I asked about it after making a script for it).

I'm sure several people do it anyways, though.
    A long time ago Raelene had a 

Send tell to [eagle]
    And 
    Send tell to [snake]

(All by numbers)

To see whether they were alive for sac, skin, and feather purposes.

- To love another person is to see the face of G/d
    - Let me get my hat and my knife
    - It's your apple, take a bite
    - Don't dream it ... be it

• I approve of this Artie. Will buy for 300cr.
  • TeghaineTeghaine Cape Town - South Africa - Africa (thatcontinentthatlookslikesouthamerica)
    Make it 1000gp, sold in Delos and a once off, riftable item
  • AustereAustere Tennessee
    Teghaine said:
    Make it 1000gp, sold in Delos and a once off, riftable item
    1000 gold and I think it would see very little use.  I would suggest something like 250 gold, non riftable, cannot be stored as nondecay, and decays in 10 months, so there they are a consistent gold sink instead of a one off for the people with credits to convert. 
  • TeghaineTeghaine Cape Town - South Africa - Africa (thatcontinentthatlookslikesouthamerica)
    I just put the idea out there. You got the details right. 
  • KayeilKayeil Washington State
    While I'm all for efficiency, this artefact promotes way too much laziness. Wouldn't be in support of its creation in any manner.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• Kayeil said:
    While I'm all for efficiency, this artefact promotes way too much laziness. Wouldn't be in support of its creation in any manner.
    while I don't like the idea of it either, how is it less lazy than typing goto x and switching to forum tab while you autowalk? I mean really, neither are particularly strenuous activities and one would save you time of having to do that 27 times when everything is already cleared out.  Better to just afk at city meeting point with everyone else.
  • edited May 2015

The many threads that touch on the issue of "bashed out" speak to how the playerbase has long since outgrown the available hunting resources (probably worse at certain levels, a bit better at others - and, probably depends greatly on your timezone/schedule too), and that is nothing but frustrating to people trying to do something that... bashing can be cathartic for awhile if you can get in a nice rhythm and frankly sort of zone out while mashing your keyboard (for us cavemen who actually have to touch it while bashing).  I'm still on the fence about the suggested feature that would allow you to view areas from far away, but the OP almost immediately said "you know, I'm fine with going to the area use it". 

But isn't wanting to bash until you're zoning out contrary to the complaints that bashing's boring? Having to explore to find a rich hunting ground gives you something to do. /devil's-advocate

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • edited May 2015

So, here's my thoughts on that (and a few others have similar concerns/thoughts).  If you can't make bashing genuinely fun, don't make it worse.  In other words, don't make me walk to a bunch of areas (most of which I probably actually have explored, I love walking around) to find that I'm not really going to make some decent bashing headway.  Certainly do not add a bunch of "complexity" that just makes me mash more buttons.  Please DO give me some opportunities like Conclave mobs, or just mobs that need to be hunted intelligently in groups (but don't force me to do that because we know people aren't always going to be able to put together a good hunting group). 

The recent thread on shielding is an excellent example of "complexity" that tends to irritate players after a point, and also exemplifies how some of us have it better than others (I am a knight so at least I can raze or RSL but people weren't exactly empathetic with those who probably find shields even more irritating than I do).  I will say that, as long as the cost isn't too exorbitant, I actually think mobs that afflict are kind of fun, for example - and probably especially good for newer players (not newbies), because if the text is scrolling slowly enough, it actually helps you remember cures.  It does become a problem if all the person can think is "ugh, there goes more bloodroot" (during the great bloodroot shortage many years ago).   

It seems to me that people want bashing to be easy, but not boring. Every time there's a degree of difficulty added, the same people who claim bashing is boring get out their pitchforks and complain that it's frustrating that there's a degree of intelligence that must be applied.

Found this interesting ability, not sure if it's a bard only thing or not, someone will need to verify. 
    Basically let's you make any super difficult bosstype really simple to kill, sure it takes a long time with this ability, but it's basically risk free easiness.
    I do it by mashing ALT+F4
    Teghaine said:
    Found this interesting ability, not sure if it's a bard only thing or not, someone will need to verify. 
    Basically let's you make any super difficult bosstype really simple to kill, sure it takes a long time with this ability, but it's basically risk free easiness.
    I do it by mashing ALT+F4
    Pro-tip, keybind to F4 without the Alt, 50% less button pressing

• AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA

Klendathu said:
    It seems to me that people want bashing to be easy, but not boring. Every time there's a degree of difficulty added, the same people who claim bashing is boring get out their pitchforks and complain that it's frustrating that there's a degree of intelligence that must be applied.
    It's that "people" is not a uniform demographic. There are some who like the grind, but want it to be more "fun". There are others that hate the grind in any form, and don't want to get bogged down in more complex versions of something they already don't like.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • KayeilKayeil Washington State
    Brean said:
    Kayeil said:
    while I don't like the idea of it either, how is it less lazy than typing goto x and switching to forum tab while you autowalk? I mean really, neither are particularly strenuous activities and one would save you time of having to do that 27 times when everything is already cleared out.  Better to just afk at city meeting point with everyone else.
    The point is... if you can't even be bothered to go check and that's all that's holding you back from hunting, then that's just lazy. Seems completely ridiculously to even seriously consider spending credits on such an artefact, and a waste of admin time in creating it when they could be working on more important things than catering to the extremely lazy.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.