This giftbag promotion

Just in case anyone wants to put some stats up here

12 bags
6 failed upgrade
5 upgraded once
1 upgraded twice

zzzz but that's all right. Got some inks and stuff at least.

Comments

• I am quite interested in statistics for the diminishing chances of success with upgrades, or whatever people can work them out as.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• 20 giftbags. Tried all the way on all of them. Wanted to get at least one to a level 1 artefact as that would be about what I usually get from most promotions with that amount of outlay. Got 3 up to the 100cr upgrade, but all died at that point. I would say sub-par promotion personally. 
    The Truths hurt. Always.
  • Any single upgrade is a 40% credit bonus, any double is a 60% credit bonus, triple is 60-120% bonus.

The promo is pretty insane in terms of value, but obviously the odds of getting a 2000cr artie from a 50cr giftbag are abysmally low.
    Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

• @Tecton I can't help but ask, has anyone ever gotten the max level gift bag?
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    edited May 2015
    I think he dug that up.

I feel like I would be more tempted by this deal if the bags already came with a chance of being pre-levelled. 

• edited May 2015
    I got a veil in a giftbag from a monthly promotion, but that was before they added the ability to attempt to upgrade them. Pretty sure you got more giftbags that month (I want to say one giftbag per 10 credits, but may be wrong), I bought at least a couple of thousand credits, and most of them were just things like vials and inks (I've still got probably half of the inks I gained from that promotion left two years later).
  • KasyaKasya Tennessee
    Well, even if you got the bag to upgrade and it resorted to just a level 2 upgrade upon failure, it would be an improvement. But I get what you're saying.
  • Yeah this promotion really sucks. I got 8 bags and 6 failed to upgrade on the first attempt, 1 upgraded to a dragonskin quiver before failing, and the other failed after the first successful upgrade.
  • TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    Jukilian said:
    @Tecton I can't help but ask, has anyone ever gotten the max level gift bag?
    I don't think anyone has taken the final upgrade risk, a couple of people have cashed out at level 5.
  • HeroseHerose Nova Scotia, Canada
    Any chance of revealing the upgrade success probabilities by tier?
  • JinsunJinsun TN, USA
    edited May 2015
    I get that it's an added extra benefit to normal sales, but I don't really care for this promotion type or many if the recent ones. Just gonna horde my cash until ( if) there's another direct artefact bundle sale. You had my number with that one, IRE. Would love to see it again.

Edit: by horde I mean my WoW character is horde 
  • I don't know much about the other promotions, but in comparison, this one just seems worse.

It seems like there was definitely more possibility of bigger reward with the racetrack tickets.
  • edited May 2015
    I think the biggest problem is not that there are promotions, but there is a great disparity between what a given one might provide as taken next to another. You take the humgii racing hybrid one recently, crown promotion, 40% credit sale... and how do these golden giftbags and February chocolate promos stack against that?

The best promotion ever was that 30-40% credit sale followed next month by a blanket 30% off all artefacts. I think that one wasn't repeated because it was too good.

I am not one to shy away from supporting the game, but I do think the disparity is a problem. If every given promotion was equally good as another, just different in what it provided, I think people would be very happy about that.
  • Taking your chances, you gently caress the silver thread of the embroidered wheel and the giftbag begins to glow.
    The glow subsides, leaving a glazed runic vial inside of a golden giftbag!

Taking your chances, you gently caress the silver thread of the embroidered wheel and the giftbag begins to glow.
    The glow subsides, leaving a twilight blue rose inside of a golden giftbag!

lolwhat?
    It became a keyring, but still
    meh

• JinsunJinsun TN, USA
    Apparently they fill the gift bags in Maim's Garden?
  • @Silvarien makes a good point - what if we could get other things that weren't necessarily valuable in the way of artefacts or credits.

maybe a special pet, non-decay special items. I can't think of many, but there are nice, tangible and generally valueless things that I would be happy to receive instead of 69 monoliths

• JinsunJinsun TN, USA
    Oh they have minipet talisman promotions like every other month.
  • KasyaKasya Tennessee

Aminah said:
    @Silvarien makes a good point - what if we could get other things that weren't necessarily valuable in the way of artefacts or credits.

maybe a special pet, non-decay special items. I can't think of many, but there are nice, tangible and generally valueless things that I would be happy to receive instead of 69 monoliths

Yeah, most of the stuff in the base bag just clutters up my inventory. I mean, I get that this is really a freebie in addition to the credits, unlike when you purchase globes or the like. But the base bags are obnoxious. At least give me stone and wood in them. ;)
  • Bought another 20 bags. Only upgraded past level 3.

Taking your chances, you gently caress the silver thread of the embroidered wheel and the giftbag begins to glow. The glow subsides, leaving a buckawn's amulet inside of a golden giftbag!

• @Tecton anyone get a full upgrade prize yet?
  • Talysin said:
    @Tecton anyone get a full upgrade prize yet?
    Tecton said:
    Jukilian said:
    @Tecton I can't help but ask, has anyone ever gotten the max level gift bag?
    I don't think anyone has taken the final upgrade risk, a couple of people have cashed out at level 5.
    I don't think so, yet.
  • BronislavBronislav Maryland
    Bought 100cr, got 2 giftbags. :relaxed: 

One wiffed immediately, one upgraded once. :neutral: 

Got a free giftbag (Thanks, @Tecton! :smiley: ), which wiffed immediately. :confused: 

Bought 200cr, got 4 giftbags. :naughty: 

One wiffed immediately, two upgraded once, one upgraded twice. :unamused: 

It feels like I keep getting burned by these - my luck was equally horrid the last time the giftbag promotion came around. Fool me once, shame on you - fool me twice, shame on me. :frowning: 

• RuthRuth Singapore
    I bought 100cr two days ago, got 2 giftbags. Both upgraded to level 3 (I think?) One was an ivory pipe and the other was an artie vial. Decided to upgrade the pipe which failed (I already have 4 artie pipes) and keep the vial. 

Third free giftbag failed on the first try.
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• KasyaKasya Tennessee
    The gift bag promo has filled my rift with inks. Too full. Too many yellow inks.
  • Yeah, I love gambling promos but for some reason this doesn't interest me. Kind of glad.

• ANNOUNCE NEWS #4334                                     (05/04/2015 at 22:02)  
    From   : Tecton the Terraformer
    To     : Everyone
    Subject: Golden giftbags
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    We've just tweaked out golden giftbag promotions to incorporate a concept known 
    as "bad luck mitigation" which, in basic terms, will prevent a string of bad 
    luck when attempting to upgrade the giftbags. If you fail to upgrade a gift bag, 
    you'll receive a bonus to your next upgrade chance. This effect stacks, so say 
    that you're unlucky on two bags in a row, you'll receive double the bonus on 
    your next bag.

For those of you who have already obtained giftbags this month already, you've 
    been gifted with a free bag on us!

Penned by My hand on the 22nd of Sarapin, in the year 683 AF.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So you could upgrade Bag X, fail 3 other bags, get the bonus, and have a better chance of upgrading Bag X again?

Can that be manipulated easily to level 7 or is level 7 still like 2.5% + (2.5%^3)?
    Still not much incentive since you don't know what the chances are to begin with.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • VayneVayne Rhode Island
    Got 4 giftbags, they all failed to get past the 3rd level. :(
  • edited May 2015
    I love Achaea. I love the work you guys do. I will spend money to support it, but this promotion really stinks.

EDIT: And the realization by the admin that it stinks is nice, but the accommodation made is like walking into a soiled potty and spraying air freshener
  • edited May 2015
    To join the chorus, I was thinking about buying a few credits to go with my latest class-hopping expedition, but I'm definitely not buying any this month.

Though I'm not a fan of gambling promotions in general, and I'm generally happy to support IRE, this one seems especially unattractive. And I'm also pretty perplexed by the decision to make the level 1 bags contain inks - it seems like this sort of thing really cuts into the already small profits for inkmillers, which is especially unfortunate now that inkmilling has a much higher opportunity cost to take up.