Dragon alternatives

The chances that they'll add an alternative to dragons are pretty low, but not everyone wants their hunting reward to be a giant, scaly lizard with a functionally fixed description (outside of color varieties) of questionable size and the apparent ability to go through tiny doorways and fit in tiny rooms all the same.

So this raises the question... what would you rather be?

I'd like to be some kind of primal mage. I suppose the most obvious fictional examples would be like the Avatar state from Avatar: The Last Airbender or Super Saiyan from DBZ, except rebalanced so it's not actually better - kind of like what you might see in a fighting game where both the character's normal and super forms are equally available as characters.

The fluff would be that your old skills simply don't exist (except perhaps as faint echos, such as possibly determining fluff and minor details in the same way dragon colors do it for dragons), because you're just too powerful to use them anymore, having access to Aldar magics and whatnot. I imagine it'd have some similarities to dragons in terms of spells, but with some weapon use as well (perhaps defined by your class, so blademasters still use their blades, druids might use staves, knights use whatever they're specialized for, etc.), with most of the differences melting away in the face of inhuman skill and power (aka mostly just a fluff thing).

I don't know what actual Aldar magic exists, so this is mostly me just saying what I think would sound cool, but I could imagining summoning mithril chains to pull or bind people, burning people with primal flame, summoning phantom weapons, and using words of power to cripple people.

You wouldn't be an actual Aldar, obviously - just a mortal filled with primal, quasi-immortal energy, drawing upon some of their magic, which I think is roughly the same general fluff behind dragon magic? Just in this case, less giant scaled beast, more glowy eyes of power, inhuman purpose, and reality-warping sorcery.

Comments

• SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    I'd still be a dragon,  just an azn dragon

• Gee, same answer in two threads. I'd rather be a werewolf, but both the reason I want it and the reason I can't see it being viable are the same - werewolves (and wereanythings) in achaea are intricately tied to Lupus and his order. The only way it would work is if he drastically relaxed his expectations of those he grants the gift to. Two problem points to making it available are pack mentality and the lore that the werebeasts came from his order and are now in an order a level above, comprised of his greatest followers that were granted his greatest gift. Still, that could reasonably be loosened, maybe, if he wanted to push the dragon dislike into a conflict and recruit people as werewolves to fight them or whatever.

Would still like to see more choice than colour. Dragon has never been a draw for me (plus maybe some brainwashing from Lupus' distaste for dragons), and I know I'll probably wind up at level 99 at some point (probably soon, too), and just not do it. See, there are people who hunt high levels for reasons other than dragon.

There are lots of races from achaean lore that could be appealing alternatives. I always thought the Nevaharr sounded interesting. There have also been powerful races introduced in events, such as the Vertani.
  • edited April 2015
    Honestly, I'm pretty happy with dragon as-is.

I'd be much happier, though, if somebody would get around to fixing that goddamn bug that's currently keeping me from becoming Elder Dragon. My issue about it got turned into a bug report and then deleted because it was a replica of an existing one, and I know that I'm not the only person waiting on the fix, but currently it's impossible to get Elder Dragon.

Anyway!

As far as Aldar magic is concerned, generally there isn't any tied up in actual abilities. However, a bunch of artifacts have as their default description references to Aldar magic that was used in their creation. Off the top of my head, the SoA is covered with Aldar runes, and the Gilded Page has Aldar script on it. There's also the Aldar Diadem, Aldar Talisman, Gauntlets of the Aldar and so on. Their magic definitely seems to be rooted in creation of extremely potent, well, artifacts, that can't be reproduced by "modern" adventurers, which likely reflects that the Aldar were the original servitors to the Elder Gods, before the Chaos Wars and subsequent creation of Celani (of whom Han-Tolneth was the first). The guys who did the maintenance and creation of stuff, basically.

If anything there probably would be some sort of "Words of Power" thing going on, maybe tied to some sort of runic script, but beyond that I'm not sure.

Greater Dragon magic isn't exactly the same (though Incantation is pretty much all about chanting in the dragon tongue, which builds up an invisible wave of power that you subsequently direct at your target), as they have things like the Dragoncurse (no words or anything, just thinking really hard "You. Cursed. Now.") and innate abilities to manipulate the Veil Extant. Veilglance bends the Veil to let them look at a distant place, while Dragonsense automatically detects where in the world somebody is (and is a 6-crown artifact from the SoW). Pierce the Veil involves literally tearing/folding a hole in reality to travel to the Parthren Gare. And conjuring illusions is also manipulating the Veil to show something around a person, Veildeliver bends the Veil to deliver something rather than just look at them like Veilglance, and of course Enmesh also calls on the Veil to bind a foe.

Hrm. Thinking about it, Greater Dragons really do manipulate/warp reality a lot.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• edited April 2015
    Now I've decided I want my second endgame choice to be a combination of Nim's and Jukilian's; a different humanoid form for each faction, all sharing a class (a magic-y one, with some flavour based on your lesserform class) but with some differences between them.

Then there are both race-based and faction-based endgame choices, along with the standard universal dragon.
  • It would even be interesting for a while if they gave each city some variation on dragon, (like ice for cyrene, chaos for ashtan, leaf for eleusis, et cetera) with different descriptions and an ability or two in dragoncraft that says something different depending on which city you're from. Not necessarily instead of colours, but in addition to, so you could be a black chaos dragon, for example.

I don't know... so much of achaea is very customisable, and then there's dragon. With the exception of a slight variations granted by colour, where absolutely everybody chooses from the same options, a dragon is a dragon is a dragon.

People keep saying end game. Maybe if it wasn't all the same, there would be better retention of players who got that far.

I'm rambling. Stalling. Don't want to go through the stuff in my basement. I ran out of ramble. Halp.
  • Bring in Aetolia's Yeleni, Azudim and Idreth endgames under different names. Yeleni and Azudim are suppose to mean you've embraced either Life of Death essences, filled yourself on it and reshaped yourself. Idreth is the fence-sitting option which you get if you are... full of yourself basically.

The rules are - describe yourself whatever the hell you want as long as it's humaniod. All three races have the same endgame buffs and skills but are written with different flavours. (Yeleni exude Warmth for people in the same room while the Azudim equivilant is called Miasma)

• Aetolia's was always my favorite, even though I rarely played there. Wiith Achaea being about freedom in many ways it would be nice to at least describe your Dragonform. What harm could that do so long as you're not 2' tall. As if size matters at all in this game from a mechanical perspective. Thing is, Achaea advertises Dragonhood as part of the game experience, being a pinnacle of achievement (but not really), so being a Dragon is supposed to be a pretty big deal. At least, I thought Dragons were held in high regard Greater or not. It would be cool to just be a more humanoid Dragon or even Elder Dragon giving you the opportunity to turn out like Yudhishthira. Notice how he turned humanoid but attacked the mage with a scaled and clawed hand? Breath weapons would be more strange to me but that could be reworked into some other sort of magic.

• I'm right there with you Nim. Dragons are one of the things I most dislike on Achaea, and I have no desire at all for my character to turn into one. Any alternative would be welcome for consideration. 
  • In my 10 years of playing Achaea, the thing that I would say has well and truly watered down the worth of dragons is simply that there are so many. But what can you do about it? :disappointed: 
  • edited April 2015
    Jukilian said:
    In my 10 years of playing Achaea, the thing that I would say has well and truly watered down the worth of dragons is simply that there are so many. But what can you do about it? :disappointed: 
    Well, I mean, there are definitely things you could do about it. Over the years, tons of people have proposed systems to limit the number of active dragons. The admin haven't been even a little bit receptive to the idea though, which is maybe understandable since it would be a big change that at least seems like it doesn't affect many players (though I would argue that it affects far more people, including a huge number of people who will never be dragons, insofar as their experience of the world is affected by the implementation of the dragon system).

I completely agree though. It used to feel like it was a big deal when you had a dragon with you or you discovered that the enemy had a dragon among them. If there's anything comparable today, it was reminiscent of how people frequently describe facing Jhui with the Staff and the Huskmaker and all that. If anything, it was actually fine that they were overpowered - there weren't so many of them that it was a constant problem and it made them even more special.

The visual of a dragon performing many of the skills was incredibly weird, and I'm glad the new skills rectified that (though there's still the remaining, widely-acknowledged issue of dragons not making much sense in many indoor rooms), but the fact that Dragon had to be turned into a class comparable in power to others because there were too many dragons for it to be fun for them to remain overpowered is pretty indicative of the bigger issue I think.

My ideal solution would be something akin to Aetolia's system, likely justified ICly as a sort of mini-ascension/reincarnation into Aldar. But that would likely require pretty substantial re-evalulation of the leveling requirements in Achaea. Since Aetolia's endgame system actually contributes meaningfully to combat ability rather than just being a separate class, I think it's fairly important to recognise that Aetolia is typically described as a much easier game to reach level 99 in. General opinion seems to be that you want to reach that point before getting into combat. Given the current experience curve and experience offered by mobs in Achaea, a big mechanical advantage that necessitates combatants to reach level 99 to be competitive would be excruciating. Either the XP curve would require some attention (likely a pretty big balancing job), or the benefits would have to be restricted to mostly convenience/noncombat stuff.

As for retaining dragons in some form, but making them more special, I actually like the idea of making the skillset even stronger, but making it a bigger prestige thing. Perhaps there are only, I don't know, eight dragons. Maybe they're the top eight, by XP, active players every year (or maybe changing less frequently than that). Maybe it's the top XP player from each city (The Dragon of the West, the Dragon of the East, the Dragon of the North, the Dragon of the Wilds, The Dragon of the South, and the Dragon of the Dark - or maybe each city is associated with a particular colour). Or maybe one of the dragons is the top active player by XP, another is the top player by combat ranking, another is the last bardic winner, and another is the highest ranked explorer - that would be a nice way to add some meat to those achievements and would be a way to offer powerful, simpler combat efficacy through what are effectively overpowered abilities as a reward for non-combat dominance. Maybe we go all Dark Sun and the city-leaders are the dragons. Or any combination of the above. It would be neat for dragonhood to be less about passing a predeterminted threshhold and more about actually being the best at something. Most of all, it would be neat for raids to more rarely involve dragons and for them to be a way bigger deal when they do get involved.
  • TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    level 150: Penwizian Dragon
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• KayeilKayeil Washington State
    I often feel like the people most critical of dragons are the ones who are not dragons themselves and are not even trying for it. I've known people like that who eventually hit dragon, and then you never hear a peep about it again from them. Sure a little more flavour would be cool (lairs please!), but I enjoy the class more than I thought I would before I reached it.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• edited April 2015
    Kayeil said:
    I often feel like the people most critical of dragons are the ones who are not dragons themselves and are not even trying for it. I've known people like that who eventually hit dragon, and then you never hear a peep about it again from them. Sure a little more flavour would be cool (lairs please!), but I enjoy the class more than I thought I would before I reached it.
    One could also argue that the problem there might be more that dragon is so excruciatingly time-consuming and boring for most people to reach that those who do reach it are much more heavily invested in maintaining a positive attitude toward the reward. Sunk costs and all that.

The class itself does present a bit of a problem though. Even if you want dragons to be much more special, rarer, and more powerful, it seems a great shame to throw away all that design work that went into making another complex, balanced class, or to take that class away from people who enjoy it.
  • KayeilKayeil Washington State
    Tael said:
    Kayeil said:
    One could also argue that the problem there might be more that dragon is so excruciatingly time-consuming and boring for most people to reach that those who do reach it are much more heavily invested in maintaining a positive attitude toward the reward. Sunk costs and all that.

The class itself does present a bit of a problem though. Even if you want dragons to be much more special, rarer, and more powerful, it seems a great shame to throw away all that design work that went into making another complex, balanced class, or to take that class away from people who enjoy it.
    If it's too boring for "most" people, then I'd argue there's not too many dragons. Hunting doesn't have to be boring, there are many ways to make it more fun and productive. A lot of it does depend on what kind of attitude you start with, though. Self-defeatists aren't going to get anywhere. I feel the same way about combat as some people do about hunting, and I don't feel the need to complain there's too many combatants, too much conflict, or that it's unfair they're so strong and it's hard to be as good as them (I don't feel that way at all, by the way). What I find boring in combat, other people think is fun. It's a lot of "boring" work, testing, coding, and a bunch of things to memorize that I don't want to bother with. Some people are hardcore RPers and some are really excellent at it, and some people don't give a damn about it, yet you don't see anyone complaining about too many RPers or that RP is so boring so lets change how things work for them. Even if dragon was changed, there's still going to be that large chunk of people who aren't interested in putting in whatever effort it takes, and will continue to find excuses and complain about why the new change isn't good enough.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• Kayeil said:
    I often feel like the people most critical of dragons are the ones who are not dragons themselves and are not even trying for it.
    It doesn't really mean much that the people who don't care for how dragons work tend to also not be interested in becoming one.
  • Tael said:
    Jukilian said:
    In my 10 years of playing Achaea, the thing that I would say has well and truly watered down the worth of dragons is simply that there are so many. But what can you do about it? :disappointed: 
    Well, I mean, there are definitely things you could do about it.
    :cold_sweat:
  • Let's not turn this into a serious basher vs casual basher debate.
  • Being a Werewolf , I would support that
  • These are great ideas. It would make the current level 99 so much more interesting
  • I do love being a Dragon, but if given the chance I would totally give it up to be a Giant. Some people may see that as a step down on the food chain, but I would revel in being 50 feet tall, with super smashing and stomping abilities.

Oh, and that would be a good racial alternative for Human. I like the racial alternative y'all are coming up with, but you seem to be drawing a blank for Humans. It would be AWESOME to go all Apache Chief (eeeeenuckchuk!) with my legendary Human.
  • Kayeil said:
    I want to get to level 100. However I have 0 interest in ever doing the dragon ceremony personally. Both for IC (Makaela is to proud of her dwarven heritage) and OOC (I think suddenly turning into a dragon is silly) reasons.   

• JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    Karai said:
    Aetolia's was always my favorite, even though I rarely played there.

This. Idreth (non-aligned), Azudim (unlife), Yeleni (life). Each one is mechanically the same with flavor text differences.

While it really wouldn't make sense to get rid of dragon in favor of a whole new system, it wouldn't be too far fetched to split dragons off into a few categories via some Mhaldorian or Occultist ritual gone horribly wrong (or amazingly right). The grandeur of dragon itself has been diluted by the sheer numbers of people that have attained it. I think it's in the 300s in the xp rankings where dragons finally stop and that's not counting the unranked dragons that could come back at any time.

It's not particularly a bad thing that dragons are so numerous, but it is one of the reasons I don't really want to go for it. Splitting dragons into a few different versions (flavor only) would minimize any type of balancing needed and would go a long way to giving them a sort of factional tie.

I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • Makaela said:
    Kayeil said:
    I want to get to level 100. However I have 0 interest in ever doing the dragon ceremony personally. Both for IC (Makaela is to proud of her dwarven heritage) and OOC (I think suddenly turning into a dragon is silly) reasons.   
    You get the soul of a dragon from Sycaerunax. He actually doesn't transform you personally.
    The transformation is basically calling forth the dragon from within ("with a grimness born of determination, you begin to unleash the Dragon that is now so much a part of the fabric of your soul"), which is why the light that radiates comes from within your body - it's literally exuded from your soul and subsumes your mortal form within a draconic one ("as a distant growl is heard, the *colour* light coalesces about you... changing you... deforming your being... becoming... Greater"). When you lesserform, that body "melts away" (I tend to visualise it as evaporating into light of the dragon's colour that then fades) and leaves behind the lesserform.

- (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• KasyaKasya Tennessee
    I really thought this said Dragonfly Alternatives and I was confused.

I don't know about dragons. IC my character wants to eventually reach it. OOCly, I get tripped up on the mhun becomes a dragon becomes a mhun thing. I'd prefer something more humanoid for my character, but I have a long way to go until I'll have to reconcile the dragon thing in my mind anyway. 

Something racial-based would be fun. I chose mhun for specific reasons when creating Kasya. I also wouldn't mind faction-based, even if it's just an added descriptor. 
  • Sarathai said:
    Makaela said:
    Kayeil said:
    You get the soul of a dragon from Sycaerunax. He actually doesn't transform you personally.
    The transformation is basically calling forth the dragon from within ("with a grimness born of determination, you begin to unleash the Dragon that is now so much a part of the fabric of your soul"), which is why the light that radiates comes from within your body - it's literally exuded from your soul and subsumes your mortal form within a draconic one ("as a distant growl is heard, the *colour* light coalesces about you... changing you... deforming your being... becoming... Greater"). When you lesserform, that body "melts away" (I tend to visualise it as evaporating into light of the dragon's colour that then fades) and leaves behind the lesserform.

I find that even weirder and as I said Why would a Proud dwarf accept the should of a creature she deems a lesser race?