New Sylvan newbie notes

Just rolled a Sylvan under the new rules today, and it's a bit confusing.

First of all, in the very beginning, I am taught 15 lessons in Propagation, and told to use Thornrend as my main attack, but there is no mention of assuming viridian first. I am also told to use firelash, which doesn't exist now, so that little segment needs to be removed from the script. I mentioned this to Julia and she said she would pass it on to staff. Help files haven't caught up yet either.

Secondly, this is the first class I've had that needed willpower. Going after the wildcats, I used half of my willpower in a single tour of the wildcat lair. I assume it will get better, but having to meditate for 10 minutes to re-gain my willpower is going to be boring. Without becoming Viridian, I don't see any other options for attacking. Will future skills make things any easier or is Sylvan more of a support class than anything else?

Comments

• It can be pretty frustrating being a newbie in a class that uses a lot of mana or willpower, but your willpower will grow quickly as you gain a few levels, soon it won't be nearly as limiting, and probably not a problem at all by the time you reach level 20.
  • AustereAustere Tennessee
    Sena said:
    It can be pretty frustrating being a newbie in a class that uses a lot of mana or willpower, but your willpower will grow quickly as you gain a few levels, soon it won't be nearly as limiting, and probably not a problem at all by the time you reach level 20.
    I have a level 50ish sylvan alt and used firelash the entire time.  While I am probably on the extreme side because I know how to grind for hours on end, if I had viridian during my novicehood, I probably would have just given up on the character. Willpoweron the low end could use some love for casting classes. 
  • I made a sylvan alt to try out the changes, the willpower drain is really severe for newbies. Especially since I expect not many would think to leave viridian before meditating, which slows it down pretty severely (at level 5, meditation barely recovers willpower faster than viridian can drain it).

Propagation does give willpower regen later on, maybe it could be moved earlier in the skill (it's currently about halfway between fabled and mythical). Or, since almost all of the willpower drain comes from viridian (thornrend doesn't cost much willpower), maybe drastically reduce viridian's base willpower drain to something manageable for newbies, but have each propagation increase the drain.
  • Unless the tweaks aren't actually live yet (in which case you can probably ignore this entire comment), it's still far too high. 10 willpower every 4 seconds for just being in viridian, which doesn't even last half an hour for characters who are just starting out, and that's not counting the extra drain from actually bashing (which is harder to account for, but if you assume about 80% downtime (time spent moving, healing, or just not attacking) it increases the net drain (after natural regen) by about 50%).

I would reduce the base willpower drain for viridian to 7wp/4s at most (and then maybe an additional 1wp/4s for each propagation, so the reduced drain is primarily only for newbies). Still higher than natural regen at inept philosophy, so people can't remain in viridian indefinitely without extra willpower regen, but manageable for new characters (about 2 hours of just sitting in viridian, or about 40 minutes of bashing).

Or you can just give new sylvans a megalith tattoo during the intro, so they have time to get a few levels for more willpower before it fades and they have to deal with the drain. I'm not sure how long they tend to last though (I can't remember if any of the suggestions to make them less worthless were ever implemented), and even at level 20 with 18 int you only get about an hour of bashing from full willpower.
  • TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    The changes to the drain aren't live yet, they're in a batch with the next classleads!
  • At least in the newbie areas I'm doing just fine kicking Imps, so I don't need thornrend. Be glad when I can use it more often, the 80 mana point cost hurts right now too. But I don't think Sylvan is meant to be a bashing class anyway.

Second issue, The Handbook for Young Archaens suggests taking lessons in Elemenatlism, which isn't right now. I just took lessons in Propagation, since it is the replacement skill. Some newbies may get confused though, since Eleusis recommends reading that book and taking training as part of a city task.

• Sylvan was among the best bashing classes before the changes in my opinion, and seems to be even better now. With the latest batch of changes, I never run out of willpower from bashing if I have goldenseal propagated on head and transcendent philosophy. I suspect this will get tweaked in the near future though.

And we got a razeslash-equivalent that I think falls reasonably early in Weatherweaving; SYNCHRONISE SHEAR WINDWHIP THING. Windwhip seems to be about equivalent to firelash as far as NPC damage goes, too.

I do feel like I need to run a bit more when bashing now, so they probably turned down whatever resistances Viridian used to confer a bit, but it's worth it just for the ability to attack and strip shields at the same time.

As for the mana cost, it's probably a bit painful early on, but not a problem once you start bashing more lucrative areas and can afford to guzzle mana elixir, eat moss and keep a moon tattoo always active. You'll get some more options in propagation as well, which can help.
  • Slink said:
    I do feel like I need to run a bit more when bashing now
    I'm guessing this is because there is no longer any 15% sip bonus from Concoctions?
  • Slink said:
    I do feel like I need to run a bit more when bashing now
    I'm guessing this is because there is no longer any 15% sip bonus from Concoctions?
    I completely forgot about concoctions. :| Yes, that'll be it.
  • Sorry to post in an old topic, but it seems the most appropriate place for my question: does (viridian) thornrend damage increase with increased knowledge of propagation?

I hear mixed answers and thought maybe someone here could give the real answer? Thanks a lot in advance! :)
  • Snok said:
    Sorry to post in an old topic, but it seems the most appropriate place for my question: does (viridian) thornrend damage increase with increased knowledge of propagation?

I hear mixed answers and thought maybe someone here could give the real answer? Thanks a lot in advance! :)
    Against denizens, the damage does increase with propagation skill. Against adventurers it might, but I'm not sure.
  • Delrona said:
    At least in the newbie areas I'm doing just fine kicking Imps, so I don't need thornrend. Be glad when I can use it more often, the 80 mana point cost hurts right now too. But I don't think Sylvan is meant to be a bashing class anyway.

Second issue, The Handbook for Young Archaens suggests taking lessons in Elemenatlism, which isn't right now. I just took lessons in Propagation, since it is the replacement skill. Some newbies may get confused though, since Eleusis recommends reading that book and taking training as part of a city task.

Books always tend to go out on date. If someone invited you to our novices clan yet you can clan switch uaithne and clhelp Sylvan for the latest tips and tricks 
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Rangor said:
    Delrona said:
    At least in the newbie areas I'm doing just fine kicking Imps, so I don't need thornrend. Be glad when I can use it more often, the 80 mana point cost hurts right now too. But I don't think Sylvan is meant to be a bashing class anyway.

Books always tend to go out on date. If someone invited you to our novices clan yet you can clan switch uaithne and clhelp Sylvan for the latest tips and tricks 
    Or just CLAN UAITHNE HELP SYLVAN so you don't have to switch clans constantly :)

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • Or, if you use Mudlet, make an alias:

Pattern: ^clhelp (\w+) (\w+)$

Code:
    if matches[2] == "edit" then send(command, false) else send("clan " .. matches[2] .. " help " .. matches[3], false) end

Then you can just do 'clhelp uaithne sylvan'.

• Sena said:
    Snok said:
    Sorry to post in an old topic, but it seems the most appropriate place for my question: does (viridian) thornrend damage increase with increased knowledge of propagation?

Against denizens, the damage does increase with propagation skill. Against adventurers it might, but I'm not sure.
    Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.