Coinflip Crowd Sourcing.

Comments

• edited April 2015
    All hail Venser, first in Achaean history whose flipped coin landed on its edge!
    I can go bashing now.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• it happened 
    "All hail Venser, first in Achaean history whose flipped coin landed on its edge!"

• I'm torn between asking @Sarapis to include @Trance and @Santar in getting some kind of honours line, and reporting all of Achaea for automation.  We should flip a coin!  Heads: honours line.  Tails: Shrubbed.  Edge: They both ascend.
  • RuthRuth Singapore
    This is awesome. I'm glad it actually happened!
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    I'm actually surprised it happened so quickly
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• I'm torn between asking @Sarapis to include @Trance and @Santar in getting some kind of honours line, and reporting all of Achaea for automation.  We should flip a coin!  Heads: honours line.  Tails: Shrubbed.  Edge: They both ascend.
    I do want to have @Santar and @Trance to get some credit for this, we won't even know about this until they revealed it.

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Yeah I was expecting it to take some time, so I was going to do it later this morning. Drat!

Well done anyway, Venser. :)
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Venser said:
    I do want to have @Santar and @Trance to get some credit for this, we won't even know about this until they revealed it.
    Ha, revealed it eh?

I hoarded away my little secret and flipped close to a million times over the years, whenever I remembered long enough to put a day or two in.

I certainly don't object to Santar's revelation, but that was all him!

• VayneVayne Rhode Island
    Sorry I missed this grand event, but it a pretty cool example of theoretical and experimental probability. I agree Santar and Trance should get a nod for this.
  • edited April 2015
    He did start the sapience wide coin flipping flash mob of  MONTH YEAR.
  • Tahquil said:
    He did start the sapience wide coin flipping flash mob of  MONTH YEAR.
    Mayan, 680.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• Santar said:
    About a decade(or close) ago, I discovered a bug in Achaea. I had long suspected it, but I had never actually given it any real thought. I noticed that coins tend to land on tails more often than heads. I'm always the type to bet on tails, so I noticed this trend when I bizarrely won wagers by betting on tails again and again. One day, I decided to test it. After many tests and hundreds of flips, I calculated the odds to be 60/40 in favour of tails. I posted this to the forums, and was ridiculed, but then when people actually tested it, my theory gained backing. Clementius joined the thread and confirmed that some terrible coding was done, and that it was indeed a 60% chance of flipping tails. He fixed it.

After Clementius fixed it, he left an ominous post on the forums, in which he told a story of how once upon a time, he saw a coin land on its side with his own eyes.  In that post, he detailed that he left a "surprise" in the code, that he suspected would take a long time to come to revelation(if it ever would.) He said that when the surprise happened, that the entire game would know.

Since then, a fellow participant of the original 60/40 theory(Trance), along with myself, have attempted to reach this goal. We've flipped hundreds of thousands of coins in the game. But it was a tedious process, and we inevitably gave up each time we embarked to find this. If you assume that the chance is 1 in a million, then it could take weeks of non-stop flipping to finally get the result.  Due to the massive amount of flips needed, there needs to be a concerted group effort if this Easter egg is to ever be found.

To summarize:

Goal: Find the flipcoin Easter egg that Clementius left almost a decade ago.

How you can help: Flip coins. A lot of coins.

I suspect that it can be found by the end of the week if enough people take an interest. I've sat on this information for a very long time. As far as I know, Trance and I are the only ones that even know of its existence. I kept it between us for a long time, in the hopes that one of us would be the one to finally uncover it. It's not going to happen without help. I had pretty much forgotten about it until I noticed some old code in my system for auto-flipping earlier. So after nearly a decade, I finally want to see this happen. 
    Pretty simple to do a chi-square on this. Send me your data?
  • edited April 2015
    Trance said:
    The reason the balance was implemented was exactly because of this, actually.

Coin flips didn't used to require balance. I simultaneously flipped and tracked a few thousand coins out of curiosity a while back and noticed that tails would come up 60% of the time. (Santar has mentioned a few times that he discovered it. He may have, I honestly don't know, but in my memory, I found it first.)

After that I created a book for people to bet on saying that I'd flip 100 coins in a public location. I set the odds so that anyone making a logical bet on 50/50 would bet on heads...And then a few hours later, Clementius changed the code, cancelled my bet, introduced the balance check, and added the 'event'.

It's been something like 8 years since then, and I still haven't flipped a million coins. I'll hit 900k tonight though. Shouldn't take too long to get to the end.

...And then I'll do it all over again.

You and I both remember discovering this independently. Based on our two stories, I think the closest thing to reality is probably something along the lines of:

- We both knew about the fishy heads/tails.
    - You tested it mathematically and made your book.
    - I knew about the discrepancy but had never bothered to test it, so when your book came out, I was suspicious and tested it.
    - I forumed it, it was fixed, and your book got deleted.

I'm just glad I don't have to have another week long coin flipping binge ever again.

• Nvm, assuming 200 flips that's significant, X2(1, n = 200) = 8, p = .005.
  • You really only needed to flip like 200 times, it shouldn't have taken any more data to support your point.
  • Talysin said:
    You really only needed to flip like 200 times, it shouldn't have taken any more data to support your point.
    The skewed chances were fixed a long time ago (around 10 years), that was just some historical background. This was about the extremely rare chance of a coin landing on its side.
  • edited April 2015
    Ill commit some of my time to this. Not 69 hours of my time but a significant portion. I tend to attempt code while just standing around anyways keeping an eye out in case some crazy tries to eat me.

Nvm already solved :(

• That this got done so quickly, makes me wonder if there's other Achaean crowd-sourcing stuff that could make fun things happen that otherwise wouldn't...  I can't think of anything off the top of my head.  Anyone got any bright ideas?
  • edited April 2015
    Aurom said:
    Tbh, I'm surprised Santar wasn't trolling us/being trolled by Clementius.
    But Santar was trolled by Clem (and Trance), for about 8 years apparently.  Both glad and a bit sad it happened so fast.  What about the world message though?  I just see Venser's.
  • TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    All hail Venser, first in Achaean history whose flipped coin landed on its edge!

was the world message
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• Santar said:
    Trance said:
    The reason the balance was implemented was exactly because of this, actually.

Coin flips didn't used to require balance. I simultaneously flipped and tracked a few thousand coins out of curiosity a while back and noticed that tails would come up 60% of the time. (Santar has mentioned a few times that he discovered it. He may have, I honestly don't know, but in my memory, I found it first.)

After that I created a book for people to bet on saying that I'd flip 100 coins in a public location. I set the odds so that anyone making a logical bet on 50/50 would bet on heads...And then a few hours later, Clementius changed the code, cancelled my bet, introduced the balance check, and added the 'event'.

It's been something like 8 years since then, and I still haven't flipped a million coins. I'll hit 900k tonight though. Shouldn't take too long to get to the end.

...And then I'll do it all over again.

You and I both remember discovering this independently. Based on our two stories, I think the closest thing to reality is probably something along the lines of:

- We both knew about the fishy heads/tails.
    - You tested it mathematically and made your book.
    - I knew about the discrepancy but had never bothered to test it, so when your book came out, I was suspicious and tested it.
    - I forumed it, it was fixed, and your book got deleted.

I'm just glad I don't have to have another week long coin flipping binge ever again.
    What I'm getting this is that you have a decades long history of ruining Trance's secret schemes.
  • KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    @Sarapis
    You're also erecting a statue of him at NoNT, right?