Spelling mistakes

Comments

• TuroiTuroi Missouri :(
    Yeah, I've seen alot ( <-- hehe ) of mistakes with rogue, tongue, and morgue where the 'u' is put right after the 'o' instead of before the 'e.'

Another common one is with 'ie' and 'ei,' like in piece and receive. One of the things that one of my teachers pounded into our heads was:

'I' then 'e', except after 'c.'

Being as inconsistent as English is, there are exceptions to that rule like in weird, their, feint, and others.

"Slowly disappear. Never really here."

• There are actually more exceptions than inclusions.

• SherazadSherazad Planef Urth
    Irontoungeeee
    Bleh, work ate my gaming life.
    내가 제일 잘 나가!!!111!!1

• I was always taught:

'I' before 'e', except after 'c'.

Huh.
  • Oceana said:
    Rogue and not rouge. Rouge is a powder for cheeks or a colour in French.
    Welcome to my hateful world of rouge angles of satin.

• you know there's a second part to the i before e except after c

or when pronounced as "a" as in neighbor or weigh.

not that there aren't still exceptions.
    And as he slept he dreamed a dream, and this was his dream.
  • JurixeJurixe Where you least expect it
    Your curiosity is piqued.

Your curiosity is NOT peaked.
    If you like my stories, you can find them here:
    Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs

• Jurixe said:

What if my curiosity is at its absolute maximum level?

There are a lot of common sayings like that which people type out incorrectly due to never having seen them written before, and they all annoy me.
  • AH. Here's one that's like that...'for all intensive purposes'...supposed to be 'for all intents and purposes'.

@Ellodin ah, knew I was forgetting SOMETHING to the rule. Guess my head wasn't pounded hard enough

• honestly i didn't learn by that rule and i never knew what people were referring to when they were like "i before e dude!"  i just happened to hear it years and years later, my knowledge of english spelling and grammar (sans capitalization cleaaaarly) came from reading.
    And as he slept he dreamed a dream, and this was his dream.
    Shiiiii, I always give mad props to people who are mult-lingual. English just has so many rules and whatnot for me to remember that I don't have space for another language anymore. At least thats my excuse :P

• Most people use "beg the question" inappropriately.
  • edited October 2012
    Jurixe said:

So much this.
  • Conscience (noun): awareness of or sensitivity to the morality of one's actions
    Conscious (adjective): awake, aware

When Bob backstabbed me, I became conscious of his lack of conscience.

• Aid and aide. Aid is a verb denoting 'the provision of assistance'; when used as a noun, it denotes 'assistance'. Aide, on the other hand, is a noun that denotes 'the person who provides assistance'. I've seen this word confusion plenty of times already, from says to news posts. 

• KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    Not grammar, per se, but I can't STAND the phrase,"I could care less". 

It should be, "I couldn't care less". Otherwise you are literally saying that you care to some degree.

@Cinya: Get used to it. I use "I could care less" purposefully.

When I say, "I could care less," I mean: "Look. Can't you tell, from my intonation, how few sh*ts I give already? Well, I'm about to give even less thanks to your utter inanity."

There is no such word as "alright." That this bastard offshoot of "all right" has entered common usage makes my heart yearn for a soon and swift end to human civilization.
  • Last two posts do not compute.

• Krypton said:

It should be, "I couldn't care less". Otherwise you are literally saying that you care to some degree.

When I say, "I could care less," I mean: "Look. Can't you tell, from my intonation, how few sh*ts I give already? Well, I'm about to give even less thanks to your utter inanity."

I imagine having to explain that every time you say "I could care less" gets old pretty fast.
  • The following is a link to TV Tropes. You have been warned. Touch nothing but the lamp.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheBigListOfBooboosAndBlunders
  • edited October 2012
    Krypton said:
    There is no such word as "alright." That this bastard offshoot of "all right" has entered common usage makes my heart yearn for a soon and swift end to human civilization.
    You should read the redneck dictionary, alright? 'Cause it ain't going nowhere.

EDIT: Yahoo smiley made me rage...
    Krypton said:

I imagine having to explain that every time you say "I could care less" gets old pretty fast.
    Who says I explain? I could care less.
    Krypton said:
    Pssh. You betta redneck-ognize that I am a fervent subscriber of that dictionary, thanks to one Miss Honey Boo Boo Child. Rednecks don't lay claim to "alright." Idiots do. Guess what grammar rule appears in Delphinus's link.
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Mannimar said:

Krypton said:

Oh bless your heart, honey.

And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Krypton said:
    Krypton said:

Who says I explain? I could care less.
    ...twitch.
    Mathonwy said:
    dactylic hexameter is
    way more interesting than the inside of anyone's vagina.
  • Melodie said:
    Krypton said:

Well, that was stupid of you.
    So mean, @Melodie:(

My bad joke aside...

Fervor, not ferver.

Ferver is Portuguese, meaning "to boil".

• The only kind of grammar mistakes that bother me are ones that don't match the dialect of the character.  For example, someone who is trying to be very colloquial who uses all the words and grammars correctly or someone who's trying to be very intellectual and makes grammar mistakes.  Sometimes I think it's cool when people have mistakes and stuff because it tells more about who they are and who their characters are.
    Commission List: Aesi, Kenway, Shimi, Kythra, Trey, Sholen .... 5/5 CLOSED
    I will not draw them in the order that they are requested... rather in the order that I get inspiration/artist block.
  • LiancaLianca Fire and Spice
    Mannimar said:
    Melodie said:
    Krypton said:

Well, that was stupid of you.
    So mean, @Melodie:(

My bad joke aside...

Fervor, not ferver.

Ferver is Portuguese, meaning "to boil".

*Fervour.
    The sweltering heat of the forge spills out across the land as the rumbling voice of Phaestus booms, "I want you to know, the Garden reaction to that one is: What?"
    The voice of Melantha, Goddess of the Seasons, echoes amid the rustle of leaves, "That's the censored version."
  • edited October 2012
    UK Spelling: Fervour
    US Spelling: Fervor