Which tradeskills are YOU getting?

:D 
I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.

Comments

• No idea, but I might have to have one, just because awesome.  
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Transmutations (both) and Cooking. I'm so excited about how soon it's going to be too!

Thank god for Knight and Alchemist changes first <3
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• I'm afraid I have to at least get back
    +tailoring
    +jewelling
    Also want:
    + Conjuration (don't need augments)
    + Synthesis (spend so much time in Moghedu already)

Unsure:
    + Armour/Weapon smithing, not sure which (authentic mhun metalcraft for the shop)
    + Toxicology, want to stock tuns
    + Gathering: If it's in high enough demand. So few people will want it, maybe cooks and inkmillers, which again is few people.

On that note, people, your skills will be in different demand than they were before, hike those prices up.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    I stocked up my rift with cooking ingredients but I know it's going to bother me to not be able to milk those poor cows myself in future though.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• Going to re-trans both of the skills Concoctions will be turned into.

Also likely going to pick up one or both of what Enchanting becomes. Depends on what's offered by Augmentation versus Conjuration.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• Inkmilling (damn runies and ink upkeep) and Conjuration.
  • I'll most likely take weaponsmithing, but I can't decide on my second tradeskill.

I have gathering now, and I love it, especially for the butchering. Sena mostly only hunts animals, and being able to actually butcher them gives a great justification for bashing beyond "I need XP, so everything must die". The plant/ingredient gathering is also nice to have. But I've made basically no gold from it (the only thing I've ever sold was some shark teeth) and don't have any use for the ingredients since I don't have cooking or inkmilling, so it's basically just an expensive RP device for me. Then again, I've spent hundreds of credits on other RP things that I'll never get any benefit from.

Toxicology sounds like it might be interesting, and Sena is still a serpent at heart so being able to make poisons would be lovely. Of course, there's almost no information about how it will work yet, so I don't know if I'll actually want it.

Augmentation would be nice, especially if the augment replacement still benefits forging somehow (so it would complement weaponsmithing), and also just for self-sufficiency (I can never find enchanters for some reason, though there's a good chance the tradeskill changes will fix that anyways). Unless Ashtan gets a city enchanting room though, I'd be stuck paying for the Tasur'ke ourobori, which I'm leery of.

So if I end up wanting toxicology and it uses ingredients from gathering, I'll probably take a 3rd tradeskill immediately and do weaponsmithing/gathering/toxicology. Otherwise, I'm leaning towards weaponsmithing/augmentation, with gathering or toxicology as my 3rd skill sometime in the future.

I'd like cooking, but can't really afford to spend 300+ credits on it.
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Assuming harvesting/concoctions won't be a thing in Mhaldor (likelihood is pretty dead at this point), then:

Will be taking all of tailoring, cooking, and jewellery back again. Gathering as well, to supplement cooking. Will not take inkmilling back, and dump those lessons elsewhere. I think I will take up armour and weapon smithing though, to turn a new little leaf over into Mel's craftswomanship.

Really looking forward to it!
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    I will probably keep both Tailoring and Jewellery, and pick up either Weapon or Armour smithing. The former more likely than the latter. 

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• edited December 2014
    The three tradeskills I have right now are Forging, Inkmilling (not quite Trans - I don't care about the Trans skill) and Gathering.

Gathering is great for the reasons Sena stated, and combined with Inkmilling it can actually be profitable, but right now there's a serious resource bottleneck with buffalo horn.  Unless you have a way to Meropis, there's about five gours and ~15 buffalo at your disposal, which adds up to an average of about 150-200 buffalo horn.  I don't know what the respawn time is because you have to cover quite a bit of ground to kill everything and by the time I'm done I usually head back to Targ and take a break.  But that's only enough horn to make 75-100 green, purple, gold or black ink. 

Meanwhile you have people wanting batches of 100-200 or even 500 of each ink, which means a lot of trips around the continent.  Plus about half the time there's no buffalo from the other people who also need it, and that's most of the horn right there. 

I'm sitting on huge piles of Wyrm tongue, shark teeth, ink bladders (never gonna use them probably) and I can clear like 300 lumic moss just from the top level of the Manticore cave in about three minutes, but buffalo horn is a serious bottleneck and I don't think it's going to get any better.  It's funny that horn is listed as an "uncommon" reagent when it's far less common than the "scarce" reagent and used in much larger quantities/for more inks than the "rare" reagent.  I suppose the difficulty of killing wyrms is a barrier-to-entry, but at least they're all in one place.

tl;dr I'll probably go with one of the Forging skills or both if Augmentation isn't good.
    ~Kresslack's obsession~
  • Sarathai said:
    Going to re-trans both of the skills Concoctions will be turned into.

Also likely going to pick up one or both of what Enchanting becomes. Depends on what's offered by Augmentation versus Conjuration.
    Here's the split, from the spreadsheet I made in 2009:
    Everything Hearing and below is an enchantment that goes onto another item. The others are all created from nothing.
    [spoiler][/spoiler]

Fortunately He said Augment the ability is getting replaced with something cool. Which is good since the other enchantables are mostly unappealing apart from Waterwalking.
    Tecton said:

The actual Augmentation ability will be removed as part of the change. Augmentation is getting something cool to replace it though. The rest of the skill deals with enchantments to existing items.

Conjuration is sigils, baubles, gems of negation, dreamcatchers etc.

• OceanaOceana North Sea
    I am a druidess. Harvesting and concoctions are part of my RP. 
  • I'm not sure. I'm so conflicted! I've been thinking about what trade skills I actually use and truthfully I never touch inkmilling and hardly ever utilize gathering. Cooking was fun at first, but how often do I make new dishes? Looking at my NDS, I think the last time was RL years ago. Hrm. Jewellery goes well with tailoring, but other than custom orders I don't use that much either; I'm just not that into bling. I'm really interested in harvesting and possibly concoctions, and conjuration and augmentation sound like fun. If nothing else, I think this may be a nice time to try some new things out and just have fun learning something new for the first time in 300+ years. 
  • I was thinking about concoctions so I could make refills whenever I please, but it seems cities with alchemists won't have that option (and I have no idea what alchemical cures are).

I don't even know the alchemical equivalent to "get 50 plant". Have to target each one like a scrub :( <-- Alchemically Challenged
  • Nexes said:

I don't even know the alchemical equivalent to "get 50 plant". Have to target each one like a scrub :( <-- Alchemically Challenged

@Nexes: Funnily enough, it's 'GET 50 MINERAL'. 

• KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Likely Gathering at the very least.

• I'm not in any rush to make a decision, though I know I won't be picking up Tailoring or Forging again. I'll take what I can get in terms of trade-ins on my Hammer of Forging and Tailoring license, and save the lessons I get back from Gathering, Inkmilling and Tailoring until I know all of the specifics for tradeskills. May end up not picking up any tradeskills and saving the lessons for multiclass instead.
  • I'm thinking of getting Armorsmithing and Augmentation.
  • Have to get gathering unless I am getting a refund on my cleaver. The rest I will sort out.  If people are just as willing to buy reagents, I am fine with forgoing getting inkmilling and just sell reagents.
  • I have such a hard time getting enchantments in Mhaldor, that I'll probably do that just to restock meteor arrows, sigils, and the like. 
  • The cutoff for refunds is about 4 months I think. They assume you've got 1/3 of your artefacts worth in that amount of time so you've made enough potential profit that the standard two-thirds refund is more appropriate. But short of that I think anything tradeskill related will be refunded
  • They initially said four months, but it's possible that will change. Can count on two thirds at least though.
  • RuthRuth Singapore
    Re-attaining Tailoring, Cooking, Gathering and Inkmilling.

Gathering is a must. I once tried to find people to gather cooking stuff for me. I found no one at all to help me, unless I turn outside Mhaldor. But no one should know the secret that Ruth loves to cook! 

Tailoring because I love making my own clothes. I also stock shops with clothes.

Inkmilling because I use a lot of inks inking for novices, but also for myself. I like making posters for propaganda purposes.

Going to grab Conjurations too. Additional enchanters are always nice to have in Mhaldor.

Not sure about Jewellery given 200cr license cost and potentially additional 50cr tradeskill slot + lessons.
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• WessuxWessux Chattanooga
    Probably retake gathering, and inkmilling. Considering getting my own alchemical or herbal cures. No refills, just stuff to munch on. Probably won't take forging because I will do what I always do when it comes to making something.  

"I need something to hit someone with. This piece of pipe will work."

"But West! This pipe sharpened on one side and with extra weight will do a better job, but you'll have to work on it for a while."

"Yeah, or I can just pick up this piece of pipe and go. So yeah, gonna do that."

Why make something complicated, when the simple solution works too?
    Invest in a 9mm retirement plan.
  • Weaponsmithing is a given, with Trevize's history - not sure if anyone he still talks to remembers why. Still uncertain what second I'd like - probably jeweller. And third - I'll probably take a third, no idea which at all, yet.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    I plan on not picking anything for a good long while to see how everything plays out; how the new markets work, which ones look like they're actually fun to play with, and which ones everyone rushes to. I assume that certain trade skills will be more popular than others, and if everyone and their mother picks up Forging and Harvesting/Synthesis, then there's really no reason for me to go near them.

Context aside, the classy new Armoursmithing and Weaponsmithing definitely look interesting, but depending on Knight changes and how good the new weapon/armour stats feel, I might just invest in a set of level 1 weapons/armour artefacts now that they'll actually be useful and never worry about Forging again. As a Runewarden, Inkmilling is pretty damn nice, but because of the scarcity of certain reagents, Gathering feels pretty essential for that because it's really difficult to rely on others to find them for you, so you kinda need both of them together. Toxicology sounds attractive as a venom user, but venoms aren't really hard to come by since tuns were introduced. Harvesting, of course, sounds nice, because it seems like more and more budding Knight combatants don't know how to not use venoms at the staging grounds. Any time I hear "Hey, can I test some limb breaks on you?" I know I'm about to burn through a few hundred bloodroot.

Or I could have no imagination and just shell out the 500cr to keep the Forging, Gathering, Inkmilling combo I currently have. If I wanted to stretch for Harvesting, I'd pretty much have the complete self-sufficiency that I'm not supposed to have. Only thing I'd have to bother someone else for is the occasional stasis or firewall enchantment. (Which is why I'm not offended by the whole set of changes; I'm nearly self-sufficient as-is, and could play this game single-player if I got my hands on Harvesting/Concoctions.)
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • Is this a joke?

ENCHANTMENT
  • Well, now that I know we can't just forget skills without a huge hit (only 50% of the lessons returned)... I'm not sure what I may take. Maybe nothing with the increased lesson costs hanging over my head. :cry: