Why do you play Achaea?

Comments

• I play to fuck around when bored.
  •  Well, the combat system is really complex and challenging, so that's a hug part of the fun, but the RP is a great escape and other games I've seen are pretty lame in both regards. I don't play Alts, I don't have time to try to juggle characters, so it gives me a chance to really get into Joiella. Besides, I've spent so much money on her anyhow ;)

• There isn't an option for Vivisect Deathsights. >:)
    Rise, and rise again, until lambs become lions.
  • JinsunJinsun TN, USA
    edited December 2014
    Deeply hurt that there's not a "for the sweet bitches" choice but alas! Really I came back because I've never found a game so in depth ( I don't play other MUDs) I've quit for a long time before but all of my first characters were diet Achaea until Jinsun. I went all in with him and really dig deeper into hunting RP and combat. It's my favorite game (aside from FF7 ofc)
  • Morthif said:
    Where is the "I've spent so much money I would feel dirty playing something else" option?
    I hear you there!
  • edited December 2014
    Certain people are the reason I came back despite massive OOC commitments I'm currently entrenched in. The people that make Achaea worth it to me have dropped in quantity but increased in quality, over the years.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • Jinsun said:
    Deeply hurt that there's not a "for the sweet bitches" choice but alas! Really I came back because I've never found a game so in depth ( I don't play other MUDs) I've quit for a long time before but all of my first characters were diet Achaea until Jinsun. I went all in with him and really dig deeper into hunting RP and combat. It's my favorite game (aside from FF7 ofc)
    I was gonna go for the 'Beer and the Bitches" but its not there... I'm really here for the RP and my social life -_-

• Meant to click on "Combat with RP on the side".

The thing is, there are plenty of games of which RP is a prevalent feature, however Achaea has by far the most complex, interesting, and constantly balanced PVP system in any game I've ever seen.

I really like the roleplay aspect of the game, but what makes me choose to play Achaea is the fact that after over a decade of playing it, I'm still learning new things about combat regularly, and still improving.

The fact that, as a programmer, I am constantly presented with new challenges and opportunities (some of which are more complicated than my university capstone project) is also fantastic.  The fact that programming is a powerful, fun tool which can be used, while still remaining or or less optional to use at all, is also a pretty unique and amazing trait of the game.
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    "it's like crack that punches you in the face"

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • I cast my vote because even though the mechanics of the game, and coding in order to be able to play it well are still incredibly intimidating to me, they are also exactly what is amazing about Achaea.  But frankly, the other IRE games have most of these goodies, and sometimes better forms of them.  Imperian really has become a greener pasture for me though, because Achaea takes itself far too seriously, and because the bar to be involved in any sort of PK (without getting stomped back to Minia) really is so much higher here.  We do have ship combat though, which really is a perfect way for someone like me to finally set foot in some sort of conflict arena over here, and that's what's going to bring me back (and keeps me taking care of my ships).
  • I play to train my patience, Achaea seems the best place for that.
  • NimNim
    edited December 2014
    wait, Achaea's a game?

i thought it was just like one of those creepy pasta things everyone here talks about and pretends is real

like, I thought the hashan jokes were where it got meta
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    I've honestly played, and kept playing, not just for the immersive environment and gameplay, but the vastness of the community. It's one thing to have five cities (and that hippie village in the woods) in a MUD, but it's another thing to have five cities (+ village) full of hundreds of people each, and age old histories and rivalries. I've played other MUDs in the past, and I pop into them after a while to see what's new, and a lot of the times very little had changed in the course of 5 years.

That never seems to be an issue with Achaea. It's a place that -is- constantly changing and evolving, and where the players have a large impact on how it changes. That's what I've always liked about it.

• I chose RP and Combat, but mostly the reason I play is because it's the closest thing to Darkness Falls: The Crusade I've had in nearly 10 years. The feels are real.
  • I play out of a sense of duty.
  • edited January 2015
    Kardal said:
    I play to train my patience, Achaea seems the best place for that.
    maybe i shouldn't defend you from proficy, so proficy can be your measure as testament to your patience. :)

2015/01/12 Tecton, the Terraformer has bestowed His divine favour upon you. It will last for approximately 1 Achaean month.
  • Some days I don't know why I play anymore. I think my investment in Achaea keeps me a around, especially on days when 90% of the people I meet on various characters a) ask me to join a Skype group b) metagame the hell out of everything, usually to keep players they dislike personally down c) speak OOCly, far too often d) invite me to OOC clans as a way of 'getting to know me' IC e) try to sext my characters up f) are complaining vehemently about something or Someonewhich is especially hard to take when there has been so much awesome stuff happening in Achaea skill-wise lately. Honestly, if it wasn't' for the new trade skills (which are AWESOME) and dragon talismans, I'd be hard-pressed to find a reason to log-in beyond small roleplay events with specific clans and my Order.
  • edited January 2015
    Bluef said:
    Some days I don't know why I play anymore. I think my investment in Achaea keeps me a around, especially on days when 90% of the people I meet on various characters a) ask me to join a Skype group b) metagame the hell out of everything, usually to keep players they dislike personally down c) speak OOCly, far too often d) invite me to OOC clans as a way of 'getting to know me' IC e) try to sext my characters up f) are complaining vehemently about something or Someonewhich is especially hard to take when there has been so much awesome stuff happening in Achaea skill-wise lately. Honestly, if it wasn't' for the new trade skills (which are AWESOME) and dragon talismans, I'd be hard-pressed to find a reason to log-in beyond small roleplay events with specific clans and my Order.
    and that is why United States has China hooked on so called 'debt' drug. (or US bond in this case..?)

2015/01/12 Tecton, the Terraformer has bestowed His divine favour upon you. It will last for approximately 1 Achaean month.
  • OceanaOceana North Sea
    Why do you play and why do you keep playing are two different questions. Do you always get what you want or expect from this game? What do you do to keep the experience a good one? What do you do if it isn't working? And if you have been dormant, what are your reasons to return? 
  • Valaria said:
    Kardal said:
    I play to train my patience, Achaea seems the best place for that.
    maybe i shouldn't defend you from proficy, so proficy can be your measure as testament to your patience. :)
    It was actually @Proficy that told me you jumped into that fight. I didn't notice, thought it was @Raylin and me fighting @Proficy, @Hasar and @Xinna (if that's the fight you meant, have no idea what you're talking about if it's not)
  • Part of the reason I keep playing is that I can log in, even after a long break, and still know people who were around when I started playing nine years ago. That's insane and amazing at the same time.