Welcome to the Achaea Forums! Please be sure to read the Forum Rules.

Cursed/Blessed Items

KresslackKresslack Florida, United StatesMember Posts: 5,993 @@ - Legendary Achaean
Unexpected surprises are one of the gems of immersive environments in most cases, and a sense of unpredictability can be exciting (gambling, for instance). Thus, I was pondering the concept of having items that could be either cursed or blessed. This would apply to things that can normally be enchanted, such as jewellery, boots, etc (maybe even weapons). The idea is that, whatever effect is applied will directly affect the person who is wielding or wearing the item (e.g. someone wears a cursed ring and is randomly afflicted with dizziness for a duration).

There are two ways I can immediately think of for implementing such an idea:

1) Allows Shamans and Priests an ability to CURSE|BLESS <item> respectively, imbuing the item with either a predetermined or random aspect which would expire in similar fashion to enchantments (or expire when the item naturally decays). Shamans would be able to Desecrate blessed items, removing the blessing and Priests would likewise be able to Purify cursed items to negate the curse.

2) Add an ability/abilities in Enchantment to Imbue an item with a random effect, which will Wheel-of-fortune style pick a random negative or positive effect to enchant into the item.


AustereShirszaeJeslynAchimrstErnamMelodieBluefSiduri
«1

Comments

  • AchimrstAchimrst NatureMember Posts: 3,608 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    I don't understand what this would actually do, I mean you want to make items afflict people when worn?

    What about Bless does it.....necklace of purity people?
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo DomingoMember Posts: 3,131 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    This would be so awesome when used in combination with crafting. Yes, please.

    And you won't understand the cause of your grief...


    ...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

    Achimrst
  • AchimrstAchimrst NatureMember Posts: 3,608 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited November 2014
    I think it would be annoying, make apostates do it.

    Edit: You can just call them Desecrated/Blessed items instead. Not everything cursed has to belong to shaman.
    ShirszaeKresslackKayeilCynder
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United StatesMember Posts: 5,993 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited November 2014
    Achimrst, I feel like you're completely missing the concept here and possibly didn't even read the full post (key point, option 2 has nothing to do with Shamans). If you're going to be negative, at least -read- the full suggestion first please.

    To expand:

    Curses and Blessings could be anything from random, periodic afflictions/buffs or static afflictions/buffs while the item is worn/wielded to +/- modified stats (such as are experienced with Occultist mog).


  • AchimrstAchimrst NatureMember Posts: 3,608 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Kresslack said:
    Achimrst, I feel like you're completely missing the concept here and possibly didn't even read the full post (key point, option 2 has nothing to do with Shamans). If you're going to be negative, at least -read- the full suggestion first please.

    To expand:

    Curses and Blessings could be anything from random, periodic afflictions/buffs or static afflictions/buffs while the item is worn/wielded to +/- modified stats (such as are experienced with Occultist mog).
    Trust me I read it, and it just sounds like either enchanting or a Shaman/Priest thing to me. Which is why I said, and I will say again. It probably would be better RP to have it an Apostate/Priest thing if it's just for IC RP reasons to even have it as they are the polar opposites of each other, I even suggested a name for it since you want to include anything with curse in it as belonging to shaman.

    Since I have to go into great depth to defend anything I say, it also sounds like a priest Blessing an object would gain a slight combat advantage, even it tiny, over apostates/shaman who would only be able to make a ring that hurts themselves. That sounds like a bad idea all around since it would be rewarding good and just making a mischief object at best for evil/cursers?

    Finally! I asked the first set of questions because, as with any idea, you should have an indepth idea on what exactly you want it to do. You mentioned for a cursed object to give an affliction but no concrete ideas on what a blessed item would do, although it sounds like it would give some kind of buff to whoever wears it. Yet what kind of buff is exactly what I asked.....

    Achimrst said:
    I don't understand what this would actually do, I mean you want to make items afflict people when worn?

    What about Bless does it.....necklace of purity people?

    My first question, quoted so you don't have to scroll up, asks what purpose does this serve as an RP mechanic? If you're randomly afflicting people who wear something it seems like it can be used as a combat mechanism as well, yet probably wouldn't be, or basically just an item that afflicts you. What purpose other then "Ooo ring that makes me dizzy" would make people want one? No one wants to be blighted with dizzy every second do they? I can do that for free right now if you want.

    Second question asked, what does the blessed item in your mind do exactly? You equate it to enchanting in your second scenario, would it just be a Necklace of Purity forever defending you from a certain affliction? Will it cure afflictions randomly? Would it give you some kind of resistance? Maybe some health regen? I mean what does being blessed exactly mean to you for this thing?
    Kresslack
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United StatesMember Posts: 5,993 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited November 2014
    Achimrst said:

    Finally! I asked the first set of questions because, as with any idea, you should have an indepth idea on what exactly you want it to do. You mentioned for a cursed object to give an affliction but no concrete ideas on what a blessed item would do, although it sounds like it would give some kind of buff to whoever wears it. Yet what kind of buff is exactly what I asked.....
    Kresslack said:

    To expand:

    Curses and Blessings could be anything from random, periodic afflictions/buffs or static afflictions/buffs while the item is worn/wielded to +/- modified stats (such as are experienced with Occultist mog).
    I don't see how how it has to be tied to Apostates simply because I mentioned Priests. Apostates aren't the only RP adversary of Devotionalists. If anything, Occultists are more of a rivalry to Devotionalists than anything, from a pure historic aspect. That, however, is besides the point.

    The whole concept doesn't have anything to do with combat (although if you have what you know is a cursed item, you could give it to someone you don't like or force them to wear it perhaps. Likewise, if you have what you know is a blessed item, you could use it yourself). The idea is to add dynamic items to the game (e.g. what looks like a normal ring, but when you put it on you discover it actually causes a random affliction periodically and can't be removed for one Achaean day OR a necklace that when warn you notice a positive aspect).

    It's pretty basic stuff from things like DnD just to add some mystery and surprise and sometimes comical stuff to the environment. So you find a ring on the ground, and you think it looks neat, so you pick it up and put it on. What you thought was an ordinary ring turns out to have a curse or a blessing associated with it. Hence, why I mentioned Shamans in my first instance, because they deal specifically with Curses. It won't make sense to use Evileye for something like this, because that specifically works on the basis that you have to -see- your target. Curses, however, is a much older art with draws upon a distinct power source, a source which could be channeled into an object just as easily as it is through to an opponent (e.g. ring of pestilence).

    As to what a list of Curses and Blessings could be, that's why I started this thread, for brainstorming and discussion.


  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United StatesMember Posts: 5,993 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Nim said:
    I kind of skipped over things and am mostly posting this because people are talking about cursed items and it looks like that's in a purely negative connotation, but can we have cursed items as a pseudo-positive thing?

    Like a cursed sword could deal more damage, but it also injures the wielder.

    A cursed amulet could delay afflictions, protecting the wearer for a short time only to later go "haha nope." Okay, that'd be really cool, but would probably need the admins + ACC to talk about it for about five years before even considering actually doing it, so take that one as more of an example of what I mean.

    Basically ultimately positive effects that have some undesirable cost - preferably not merely min/maxing (like no armor of +50 resistance vs this class for -50 resistance vs this other class, since you could just swap gear for any given fight), but something that definitely affects how you do things in both a positive and a negative manner.

    Otherwise the ultimate resolution to all cursed items is to not use them, and at best they'd be a hassle until you can find someone with the scribing skill (can we have a scribing skill?) to draft you up a remove curse spell, or something.
    These are good ideas, and actually sound like they would work better than flatly having a curse on an item that's immediately noticable. Maybe a sword where when you get a critical hit it reflects the blow back upon you like rebounding. Thinks like that would lure people in for what seems like a purely positive effect, only to realize belatedly that it's cursed instead.


  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, FloridaMember Posts: 5,008 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    I'm pretty sure this would seal the deal on class changing to shaman.

    Kresslack wry do you do this to me. :(
    "You have had an extraordinary adventure, my dear. Extraordinary! One that few people could ever imagine. Treasure it. Keep it safe and secure, tucked away in some special place in your heart. 

    But... don't spend the rest of your days chasing a ghost."
    Kresslack
  • KayeilKayeil Washington StateMember Posts: 2,824 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Depending on the curses, I am not sure if I'd apply it to shamans. With Spiritlore we bind with spirits of all factions,  including devotionists. We're not really natural adversaries of the Light, we used to be allowed in Shallam, and it was they who banned us, we didn't seek any conflict with them. If the curses are all negative effects, it should be a skill applied to a different class then. If the curses and blessed items can have both negative and positive effects, then maybe it'd make more sense. So I understand Achimrst being a little skeptical of it being tacked onto the shaman class.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

    SaralynneAchimrst
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United StatesMember Posts: 5,993 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited November 2014
    What does Spiritlore have to do with curses (whether the skill or general sense of the word)? Of course Shamans aren't natural adversaries of Light, and I never implied they were. Pretty sure anyone who a lifestyle other than that purported by the Dawnspear is a potential adversary of Light, but that's a topic for another thread.

    Again, the concept for curses used in this instance has nothing to do with factional alignment. Considering the description for the Curses skill that Shamans have (are the only class to utilize):

    Curses draws on the dark side of the mystic world for its power. It is a
    simple, yet powerful and deadly skill, allowing one to reel off curse after
    curse in quick and deadly succession. The curses available range from epilepsy
    to vertigo to the voyria plague.

    I don't see how it doesn't fit into what Shamanism has already been centralized around for a long time now (bolded above). So it makes relative sense for a Shaman to be able to draw upon that power and imbue an item with the effects (which, are by inherent nature, used to cause negative reactions/afflictions).

    Shamans use Curses to apply negative effects (hence 'cursed items') and Priests use Healing to apply positive effects (hence 'blessed items'). The argument over semantics on on whether or not it applies to Shamans doesn't make sense here.

    If Spiritlore and Spirituality are involved, however, there is potential for both positive and negative effects to be applied to an item by either class. It doesn't, however, make sense to make something like this available to -every- class as a general capability. 


    BadeShirszae
  • BlujixapugBlujixapug Member Posts: 1,833 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Nim said:
    I kind of skipped over things and am mostly posting this because people are talking about cursed items and it looks like that's in a purely negative connotation, but can we have cursed items as a pseudo-positive thing?
    Yeah, or like a cursed scroll of genocide will instead spawn monsters.
    image
    AchimrstSynbiosKei
  • BluefBluef DelosMember Posts: 2,176 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited November 2014
    Personally, I love this idea for Apostates/Shamans/Priests; however, I think the application of making it give actual afflictions randomly is a bit OP and could be abused pretty easily by any halfway competent combatant with a command-like ability (PUPPET COMMAND WEAR RING in the middle of blackout, for instance). 

    Instead, I'd favour this addition to Achaea in three different yet distinct ways:
    1. Immediate, one-time results: You wear a cursed object your arm is broken, you receive the same kind of explosion you would when a mushroom is attached to something, you see a creepy room-wide reaction.
    2. Long-term, recurring results: You wear a cursed object and you become increasingly hungry, tired, or receive random hallucinations. These visions may or may not be evident to the people you're with (You may see a horrifying hand reaching for the necklace at your throat whereas everyone in the room may just see your eyes glaze over). Over time, that is the longer you wear the item, the messages or urges become more frequent and persistent. 
    3. Role-played results: Purely reactionary when you use any of the most common base commands (shake, touch, turn, ring, pull, push, etc.) and the results have to be roleplayed out (or not as the case may be if you're a roleplay grinch). 
    As an example of the third suggestion, I'll share this tidbit: About a million years ago when amphoras and such were rather new to the game and everyone was picking things up, turning them, shaking them, ringing them, etc. to try out new base commands with objects, Bluef placed a tablet imbued with a curse at the Spirit Walkers Fortress for their then false prophet (by Curia standards) to intercept:

    a cursed tablet

    Carved upon the face of a triangular chunk of grey rock is a rendering of a monstrous spider, its venom-filled body dangling precariously from an intricately patterned web centred upon the tablet. An ancient language and runes inlaid with electrum glisten like water droplets upon the fine threads of the arachnid's silken design. Faint power pulses from the alloy-filled glyphs, emanating a silvery-gold radiance.

    TOUCH TABLET had these results:

    Carefully running your fingers over the surface of the cursed tablet, you shudder violently as a silvery-gold radiance pours forth from its chiseled web and rushes up your arm, turning murky black as the tendrils advance.

    READ TABLET had these results:

    You read what is written on a cursed tablet:

    Three is one.
    One is three.

    I bind you once.
    I bind you three.

    Entangle spirit.
    Entangle body.
    Entangle soul.

    When all three are hindered,
    there shall be no whole.

    TURN TABLET had these results:

    Turning the cursed tablet over in your hands, softly whispered prayers fill your mind as you attempt to make sense of the alloy-filled glyphs covering the opposing surface:

    For the harm you have wrought upon others
    May your fears and confusion be without end
    Even upon inclusion in the black, Inevitable
    Flame of Death. Hear this petition Lord Thoth
    And grant them no safe passage in Your halls.
    Just as lead is held in no esteem and cold,
    Let them lay ever-extinguished in Your sight.


    Blessing ideas that don't mimic things already possible through enchantment are a bit harder to come up with off the cuff, but they are just as possible and would hold just as much RP potential.
    KresslackHalosSilas
  • SaralynneSaralynne CyreneMember Posts: 25 ✭✭ - Stalwart
    Kresslack said:


    Curses draws on the dark side of the mystic world for its power. It is a
    simple, yet powerful and deadly skill, allowing one to reel off curse after
    curse in quick and deadly succession. The curses available range from epilepsy
    to vertigo to the voyria plague.


    This is the point.  Dark side of mystic world.  Dark isn't evil.  If a Priest can remove the curses, then an Apostate should be able to remove them too, if you're plan is to tie these curses to Shamans.  Otherwise, it should be a priest/apostate thing.
    image
    BluefShirszaeAchimrst
  • BluefBluef DelosMember Posts: 2,176 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Saralynne said:
    Kresslack said:


    Curses draws on the dark side of the mystic world for its power. It is a
    simple, yet powerful and deadly skill, allowing one to reel off curse after
    curse in quick and deadly succession. The curses available range from epilepsy
    to vertigo to the voyria plague.


    This is the point.  Dark side of mystic world.  Dark isn't evil.  If a Priest can remove the curses, then an Apostate should be able to remove them too, if you're plan is to tie these curses to Shamans.  Otherwise, it should be a priest/apostate thing.
    I don't think this is the thread to get into a debate about whether the "Dark side" of the mystic world is evil or not, but I will point out that there has generally been difference between a shaman and a witchdoctor IC. They are both shamanic practitioners, but the latter turns to darkness, curses and necromancy more frequently than their shaman counterparts, which tend to be more concerned with healing, helping, and balance. 

    Shamans, through spiritlore, possess the ability to tap into both the light and dark though, making them singular in their neutrality, so it would make sense for all three classes to be able to imbue/remove blessings and curses. 

    But as I've already said I think this idea is interesting in its potential, but if you're talking about the ability to afflict people with items from afar, I think it's a stretch of the imagination that could easily be abuseable and become difficult to counter.
    Achimrst
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United StatesMember Posts: 5,993 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited November 2014
    Saralynne said:

    Dark isn't evil. 
    That's purely a subjective statement, because it depends entirely on how you utilize it. We have Shamans in Mhaldor. I don't know of any in Targossas. 

    @Bluef, those are the types of ideas that I think would be a good start, especially if the tired/hungry bit effected those even over lvl 80, like hunger attacks still do, though a lot of people might complain about it.


    BluefBadeShirszae
  • DaeirDaeir AustraliaMember Posts: 6,276 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Nim said:
    I kind of skipped over things and am mostly posting this because people are talking about cursed items and it looks like that's in a purely negative connotation, but can we have cursed items as a pseudo-positive thing?
    Yeah, or like a cursed scroll of genocide will instead spawn monsters.
     Nethack scrub. Crawl is way better.
    AchimrstBlujixapugKei
  • AchimrstAchimrst NatureMember Posts: 3,608 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Kresslack said:
    Achimrst said:

    Finally! I asked the first set of questions because, as with any idea, you should have an indepth idea on what exactly you want it to do. You mentioned for a cursed object to give an affliction but no concrete ideas on what a blessed item would do, although it sounds like it would give some kind of buff to whoever wears it. Yet what kind of buff is exactly what I asked.....
    Kresslack said:

    To expand:

    Curses and Blessings could be anything from random, periodic afflictions/buffs or static afflictions/buffs while the item is worn/wielded to +/- modified stats (such as are experienced with Occultist mog).
    I don't see how how it has to be tied to Apostates simply because I mentioned Priests. Apostates aren't the only RP adversary of Devotionalists. If anything, Occultists are more of a rivalry to Devotionalists than anything, from a pure historic aspect. That, however, is besides the point.

    The whole concept doesn't have anything to do with combat (although if you have what you know is a cursed item, you could give it to someone you don't like or force them to wear it perhaps. Likewise, if you have what you know is a blessed item, you could use it yourself). The idea is to add dynamic items to the game (e.g. what looks like a normal ring, but when you put it on you discover it actually causes a random affliction periodically and can't be removed for one Achaean day OR a necklace that when warn you notice a positive aspect).

    It's pretty basic stuff from things like DnD just to add some mystery and surprise and sometimes comical stuff to the environment. So you find a ring on the ground, and you think it looks neat, so you pick it up and put it on. What you thought was an ordinary ring turns out to have a curse or a blessing associated with it. Hence, why I mentioned Shamans in my first instance, because they deal specifically with Curses. It won't make sense to use Evileye for something like this, because that specifically works on the basis that you have to -see- your target. Curses, however, is a much older art with draws upon a distinct power source, a source which could be channeled into an object just as easily as it is through to an opponent (e.g. ring of pestilence).

    As to what a list of Curses and Blessings could be, that's why I started this thread, for brainstorming and discussion.
    Tied to apostates because they are the Theological opposite of a Priest and advocate suffering, which is what this ring sounds like it does and could be cool for their RP.

    Meanwhile Shaman RP might find it fun to do it but won't have any real need to do it since they can point a curse at you.

    You make this item sound like it has nothing to do with abilities and then tie it to abilities, such as: Shaman can curse, curse item for shaman! You can force them to wear it and random afflictions. How is that not combat related? Serpents would sneak it into your inventory snap force you to wear it and lock your ass so fast you won't even know what happened. Everything in your entire paragraph about it not being combat related makes it combat related!

    When truly anyone can curse an item IC in the game, and they are splitting Enchanting from Magi so you can probably get away with making it a part of that so that so specific side gains any kind of combat advantage from a "positive aspect" and your example of a ring of pestilence is again an enchanting item made by Magi which still screams to me that this thing should be an enchanting thing if anything.
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United StatesMember Posts: 5,993 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Achimrst said:

    Meanwhile Shaman RP might find it fun to do it but won't have any real need to do it since they can point a curse at you.

    You make this item sound like it has nothing to do with abilities and then tie it to abilities, such as: Shaman can curse, curse item for shaman! You can force them to wear it and random afflictions. How is that not combat related? Serpents would sneak it into your inventory snap force you to wear it and lock your ass so fast you won't even know what happened. Everything in your entire paragraph about it not being combat related makes it combat related!

    When truly anyone can curse an item IC in the game, and they are splitting Enchanting from Magi so you can probably get away with making it a part of that so that so specific side gains any kind of combat advantage from a "positive aspect" and your example of a ring of pestilence is again an enchanting item made by Magi which still screams to me that this thing should be an enchanting thing if anything.
    Do I have to draw it in crayon for you since you seem to be the only one disregarding the points already reiterated. Your pedantry is growing tiresome. This isn't a combat suggestion, it's about adding dynamic and flavorful experience to the game. Magi can enchant rings of pestilence and serpents can milk venoms, but anyone can point the ring and anyone with envenom in Weaponry can use venoms. I'm not going to argue with you, because you seem to be the only one not able to connect the dots.

    Getting back on topic, like someone mentioned earlier (Bluef I think, I'm on my phone), the reactions could be delayed to some extent but I don't think sleeping should be an effect because, as Silas mentioned it would be easy to implement them strictly for combat purposes. That's not the premise for this idea. I actually thought of it while revisiting the Mhaldor museum recently. On display is a 'cursed dagger', which you look at and can only imagine what it does. It's that imagining which I think could add a fun and interesting aspect to Achaean environment and lore. Still thinking on potential effects, but there have been some really good ideas contributed already.


  • BluefBluef DelosMember Posts: 2,176 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited November 2014
    Kresslack said:
    Getting back on topic, like someone mentioned earlier (Bluef I think, I'm on my phone), the reactions could be delayed to some extent but I don't think sleeping should be an effect because, as Silas mentioned it would be easy to implement them strictly for combat purposes. That's not the premise for this idea. I actually thought of it while revisiting the Mhaldor museum recently. On display is a 'cursed dagger', which you look at and can only imagine what it does. It's that imagining which I think could add a fun and interesting aspect to Achaean environment and lore. Still thinking on potential effects, but there have been some really good ideas contributed already.
    Not to get off track, but I had always hoped the more of the displays in the Chapel of All Gods would have similar effects when TOUCHED or whatnot. Or that Orders would step forward and try to claim the items related to their realm for nefarious purposes, but yeah I see where you're going with this and I love the concept. The more RP-flavour the better!
  • AmarillysAmarillys Member Posts: 797 @ - Epic Achaean
    An anti-Logosian curse! Cannot be removed and while wearing it, you grow hungry and tired as normal. Does not stack with normal hunger/sleepiness, so all it really does is affect people who are Logosian or priests/paladins who have well-being because it would go through that :stuck_out_tongue: 



    ShirszaeTharvisAchimrst
  • AchimrstAchimrst NatureMember Posts: 3,608 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Kresslack said:
    Achimrst said:

    Meanwhile Shaman RP might find it fun to do it but won't have any real need to do it since they can point a curse at you.

    You make this item sound like it has nothing to do with abilities and then tie it to abilities, such as: Shaman can curse, curse item for shaman! You can force them to wear it and random afflictions. How is that not combat related? Serpents would sneak it into your inventory snap force you to wear it and lock your ass so fast you won't even know what happened. Everything in your entire paragraph about it not being combat related makes it combat related!

    When truly anyone can curse an item IC in the game, and they are splitting Enchanting from Magi so you can probably get away with making it a part of that so that so specific side gains any kind of combat advantage from a "positive aspect" and your example of a ring of pestilence is again an enchanting item made by Magi which still screams to me that this thing should be an enchanting thing if anything.
    Do I have to draw it in crayon for you since you seem to be the only one disregarding the points already reiterated. Your pedantry is growing tiresome. This isn't a combat suggestion, it's about adding dynamic and flavorful experience to the game. Magi can enchant rings of pestilence and serpents can milk venoms, but anyone can point the ring and anyone with envenom in Weaponry can use venoms. I'm not going to argue with you, because you seem to be the only one not able to connect the dots.
    I'm connecting the dots just fine, you just keep changing what you are saying. Your original idea still posted says giving random afflictions for curses and being blessed for blessed.

    I simply asked you what that meant and then you got all pissed at me about it. I'm sorry if questions are too hard for you to answer. I even said in my statement, which I bolded, that I think it would be better off as an enchanting thing and yet again you just get pissed about it. I'm sorry I don't agree with you that Shaman/Priests should have this ability exclusively, but IG lore kind of points that just about anyone can "Bless" or "Curse" and item and I was sharing my opinion on that, although if tied to a class, like a broken record because you don't actually care what I have to say you just want to say I'm wrong, Apostate/Priest would be a better fit since I personally think that Apostates would have fun with something like this for their "suffering" RP and Priest could bless the thing and gloat about it or whatever priests do, srsly what do priest do?, which to me would make it a bit more in depth and even cause some conflict.
    Kresslack
  • JonathinJonathin Grand Rapids, MIMember Posts: 3,323 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited November 2014
    Wouldn't work with enchantment because the magi already knows exactly what he wants to enchant and if he doesn't, the enchantment fails and the item is destroyed. This also applies with worrystone because the stone itself gives the random/if any buffs and this power is created with the whole item. 

    It would work with shaman and curses because Spirits can be unpredictable and powerful. Whether benevolent or malevolent, communing with unknown spirits can give even the most seasoned shaman pause.

    In essence, enchantment is a very precise art whereas curses and dealing with the spirit realm is a very inexact and abstract art.

    There you go. A half-assed answer that makes shaman a better class to be able to curse items than magi/enchantment.

    My site will remain up, but will not be maintained. The repository will continue to have scripts added to it if I decide to play another game. Maybe I'll see you around in Starmourn!
    Tutorials and scripts  The Repository

    KresslackShirszaeAchimrst
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United StatesMember Posts: 5,993 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Achimrst, I don't know why you're so stubbornly defensive and determined to be negative. Just accept that your opinion has been deemed out of place for this concept. Thank you for your contribution.




    ShirszaeTrey
  • AmarillysAmarillys Member Posts: 797 @ - Epic Achaean
    I actually disagree with it not working with enchanting. I think you could add in a percentage where the item is either cursed or blessed in the same way that sometimes things are destroyed.



    Achimrst
  • HalosHalos San FranciscoMember Posts: 1,462 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Silas said:
    I really like Bluef's idea, though hunger/tiredness is an obvious no-go due to  combat implications. Some more esoteric effects, similar to the effects of cactus weed, would be very interesting to see.
    Afflictions less like snowblossoms and more like the Zaphar scorpion sickness. Blessings less like earthshield and more like bliss, without the buffs.

    AmarillysBluefAchimrstSilas
  • AchimrstAchimrst NatureMember Posts: 3,608 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Kresslack said:
    Achimrst, I don't know why you're so stubbornly defensive and determined to be negative. Just accept that your opinion has been deemed out of place for this concept. Thank you for your contribution.


    Of course I'm the one being negative as I am simply asking questions, putting up a case for why I think enchanting or apostates would be a better fit and you sit there and tell me I'm not reading what you're writing and am clearly just too stupid to connect the dots.
  • AchimrstAchimrst NatureMember Posts: 3,608 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Jonathin said:
    Wouldn't work with enchantment because the magi already knows exactly what he wants to enchant and if he doesn't, the enchantment fails and the item is destroyed. This also applies with worrystone because the stone itself gives the random/if any buffs and this power is created with the whole item. 

    It would work with shaman and curses because Spirits can be unpredictable and powerful. Whether benevolent or malevolent, communing with unknown spirits can give even the most seasoned shaman pause.

    In essence, enchantment is a very precise art whereas curses and dealing with the spirit realm is a very inexact and abstract art.

    There you go. A half-assed answer that makes shaman a better class to be able to curse items than magi/enchantment.
    To me it sounds like enchantment would work great with it, instead of destroying the item it can be cursed or blessed randomly and make it a completely random fun thing on an item that would likely just be destroyed in the enchanting  process. Enchantment is also clearly not "precise" if it destroys items sometimes and probably makes the Magi a bit miffed if it destroys something they actually wanted enchanted, not that I hear them whining about it.

    I will never understand why people try to give Shaman a semi-factionalizing ability when they don't even play the class or engage in it's RP if they do... To me making shaman only capable of cursing an item is almost like fictionalizing them against the light/priests and giving priests/Targossas, and possibly Cyrene,  a reason to attack and enemy them.

    If you want to go full out on the Spirits aspect of it, an RP I actually do IG. Spirits bless, so they are clearly able to bless things and make harmful effects so why make priests the only ones to undo the curse?

    If a shaman can curse an item, they should clearly through the power of the spirits be capable of undoing it, it just seems imbalanced from a Shaman RP point of view to only make them capable of cursing an item because the class uses curses so they should make items to do the same thing. Completely taking away from the RP that some of us Shaman actually do in which we speak about curses as a way to defend ourselves because spirits are, mostly, passive.


    Kresslack
Sign In to Comment.