What have you designed today?

Comments

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    I definitely like the top one the most

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• Well, druids/sylvans regularly invoke sunlight into their quarterstaffs. IC-wise, a forging(?) ritual inside a grove that invokes sunlight into the blade instead of a quarterstaff then sealed/stored could work, since I don't actively use/drain the sunlight :)

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • edited February 2016
    APPEARANCE : A sunlight-infused blade of verdant steel

DROPPED : Glimmering, an august verdant blade lies here.

EXAMINED : Roughly three feet from pommel to pointed tip, this aurant blade appears graceful yet forged for brutal combat. Blessed with Nature's grace, mote-like specks of sunlight glimmer inside the surface of the verdant-hued blade, betraying the infusion of august dyed-silver with the essence of Nature. The blade's cross-section is narrow while the edges are fine and suited for slicing, even through thick armour. Graceful, ancient runes of augmentation and grove-binding are engraved in flowing script along its fuller and glow with a cerulean hue, terminating at an oaken rain guard carved into the shape of a lemniscate. Supple aniline leather provides a comfortable hold under the wielder's grip and is dyed ivory with swirling amber leaf patterns. A thistle-shaped emerald gem adorns the pommel. 

Recycled an adjective/template though sufficiently content.

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
    So, I am designing my crossbow, and thought I might ask for opinions/suggestions and such.
    And yes, I have a weakness for named weapons. Named weapons other than blades are somewhat unusual, but if someone can name their gun Vera, I sure as hell can name my crossbow too.

APPEARANCE: Aduantas, a ballista-styled ivory crossbow

DROPPED : Reminiscent of a ship's ballista, an ivory crossbow is propped here.

EXAMINED : Albeit spanning length-wise near the same height as its wielder, the measurements of this massive weapon are nonetheless far from those of a true ballista. Supported by a pale, elegantly curved stock carved with an eye for aesthetics, each side has been artfully decorated with variations of a similar theme: On the right, starlit woods and verdant prairies occupy every inch of the wooden surface, whereas on the left appear marbled halls and towered spaces, with vast and empty streets under a clouded sky. The lath, fashioned from a darker variety of wood and horn, angles away from the stock as if branching from the selfsame tree, limbs spread perpendicular to a half-round grooved track. Xabat-shaped winches finely wrought from blackened metal rest at each side of the stock's narrow end, spools of the heavy drawstring used for propelling the bolts contained therein. A small metal haft at the midsection allows for easy handling, while a smaller pulley near the end serves both to draw on the string with a gleaming hook, and to release and fire the mechanism when ready.

• Big weapons are cool but that one's a bit too much on the anime-style oversized weapon imo!
  • Agreed to both posts so far. I find it best to leave named weapons up to the Gods. As far as size goes, I don't think you've really grasped how absolutely unwieldy this thing would be. The arms alone just... go for smaller. Also you're going to feel really silly using something that big and doing no damage (crossbow talisman currently bugged)

edited March 2016
    Oh, I got ninja'd: 

The crossbow is only slightly shorter than Shirsz, who is pretty short, so I don't think it is overly large. If anything, it ends up being shorter than her bastard sword, so I don't consider it oversized (Though I admit oversizedness was part of the inspiration) .I might try to find a better way to convey that it is not actually monstrously huge while still being a bit on the large side, but for now thats the best way I've found without resorting to exact measurements.

As for the weapon names, I guess we all have preferences. I like them.

Still, thats not to say I don't appreciate the opinions. I do. So thank you!

• You guys hate weapons with names? Y'all would hate playing Imperian, then.

Weaponry - Indite
    Syntax: INDITE <weapon> <name>

Your familiarity with weaponry allows you to name them, speeding your interaction with them. Practically, you may now name a weapon, shield or piece of armour for a fee of ten thousand gold, and thereafter the name will be visible when probed and you may interact with it by that name.

Shows up as something like '<person> is here wielding a sharp, serrated longsword named Dongblade.'
    or '<person> slashes at you with a sharp, serrated longsword named Dongblade.'

Which is more annoying?

• Shirszae said:
    Oh, I got ninja'd: 

The crossbow is only slightly shorter than Shirsz, who is pretty short, so I don't think it is overly large. If anything, it ends up being shorter than her bastard sword, so I don't consider it oversized (Though I admit oversizedness was part of the inspiration) .I might try to find a better way to convey that it is not actually monstrously huge while still being a bit on the large side, but for now thats the best way I've found without resorting to exact measurements.

As for the weapon names, I guess we all have preferences. I like them.

Still, thats not to say I don't appreciate the opinions. I do. So thank you!
    Swords being huge is doable because of  how swords are designed. To fire that crossbow at that size you'd need like an elaborate system of pulleys just to load it
  • AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    Cynlael said:
    You guys hate weapons with names? Y'all would hate playing Imperian, then.

Weaponry - Indite
    Syntax: INDITE <weapon> <name>

Your familiarity with weaponry allows you to name them, speeding your interaction with them. Practically, you may now name a weapon, shield or piece of armour for a fee of ten thousand gold, and thereafter the name will be visible when probed and you may interact with it by that name.

Shows up as something like '<person> is here wielding a sharp, serrated longsword named Dongblade.'
    or '<person> slashes at you with a sharp, serrated longsword named Dongblade.'

Which is more annoying?
    Yes, I would hate playing Imperian. You can do this in Achaea for 1k gold, but it doesn't show in QW, etc. I am thankful.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • Aerek said:
    Yes, I would hate playing Imperian. You can do this in Achaea for 1k gold, but it doesn't show in QW, etc. I am thankful.
    What, really? I thought that was just for loyals :|

Cynlael said:
    Aerek said:

It is only for Loyals here, as far as I am aware (Just tried to name my hammer to no avail)

• Shirszae said:
    Cynlael said:
    Aerek said:

It is only for Loyals here, as far as I am aware (Just tried to name my hammer to no avail)
    You haven't tried engraving it, yet!

Trey said:
    Shirszae said:
    Cynlael said:
    Aerek said:

You haven't tried engraving it, yet!
    Engraving requires you to be a jeweller, which I am not. Works completely different, too.

• Engraving requires you to find a jeweller, which isn't exactly a challenge.
    I am not interested. I was hoping for some criticism beyond the size and name, which were predictable issues, but I suppose that was too much hoping.

• I mean, if you're posting for something to be critiqued, the most glaring issues with it will likely be critiqued. If you're not willing to listen to people's critiques don't post it for critique?
    Oh, Kiet.
    As I said before, I am thankful for them, but I was hoping for more. You know, there's a whole description beyond that line. But whatever. Lesson learned.

• As far as the description goes, it's fine. I don't like the style, but that doesn't mean that it's poorly worded or anything.

Trey said:
    As far as the description goes, it's fine. I don't like the style, but that doesn't mean that it's poorly worded or anything.
    I am curious. What makes you dislike it? I know you are very good at describing weapons, so I'd not mind a pointer or two :P

• Trey said:
    Agreed to both posts so far. I find it best to leave named weapons up to the Gods. As far as size goes, I don't think you've really grasped how absolutely unwieldy this thing would be. The arms alone just... go for smaller. Also you're going to feel really silly using something that big and doing no damage (crossbow talisman currently bugged)

• Just style choices is all. I've never been a huge fan of mural-esque designs on weapons (is it meant to be painted scenes? I couldn't quite tell). I'm a big fan of metalwork and geometric or flowing designs, sometimes with obvious classic stuff like animal-shaped pommels or winged guards, stuff like that. I, however, am not the wielder, so all that matters is that you think it'd look good.

edited March 2016
    Yeah. I have to admit I like heavily ornamented weapons and such. I suppose they appeal more to my fantasy-inclined mind for some reason. Not that a finely forged weapon can't be beautiful on its own.

Edit: Also, the scenes were supposed to be carved reliefs. I'll try to make that clearer in the final version.

• @Lorielan : these tips and insights are amazing for everyone. Thank you!
    @Lorielan Thanks a lot for the suggestions and pointers, they are immensely appreciated! <3 I completed the customisation before I saw your post, but I shall certainly keep them in mind for the next time I work on something. 

For anyone curious, this is what I went with in the end. 

Appearance: a sea mistress' hunting crossbow
    Dropped     :Reminiscent of a ship's ballista, an ivory crossbow is propped here.
    Examined   :Albeit reminiscent of a ship's ballista in configuration, the measurements of this smaller weapon are a far cry from those of her shipboard sister. Supported by a pale, elegantly curved stock adorned with an ivory deck, the long, wooden surface is almost wholly occupied with carved reliefs of unsettling silhouettes and monstrous faces peering from towered underwater spaces alongside all  manners of mythical and sea-borne creatures. Preceded by a compact stirrup, the lath is fashioned from a composite of wood and horn, limbs angling away from the stock as they spread perpendicular to a half-round track chiselled into it. Finely wrought serpentine winches from now-verdigrised metal vaguely reminiscent of maritime dragons rest at each side of the stock's narrow end, spools of the heavy drawstring used for propelling the bolts contained therein. A small metal haft at the midsection allows for comfortable handling, while a small pulley near the end serves to span the crossbow, the tickler to release and fire safely tucked underneath.

• I like that version a lot better.

• FitzFitz Fire and Spice
    Spear idea

Appearance: a well-worn ash spear

dropped: an old spear lies here

Examine: Pale, straight ash makes up the length of this functional spear. The haft is crossed in several places with worn leather, rimed with sweat, and old brown stains. A leaf-shaped blade of volcanic glass crowns the weapon, its knapped surface glinting in places.