Wielding

Coding in wielding is a major hassle for a lot of people client side.

Can Achaea's wield function be changed check to see if it needs to unwield something before wielding and accept multiple arguments?

For example:

"wield bow" is a 2-handed item so it'd know to unwield both items before wielding bow.  If bow was already wielded, it already knows this and does nothing.

"wield shield# rapier#" would wield shield in left hand and rapier in right hand because both are 1-handed items.  If both are wielded already in the left and right hands respectively, it'll do nothing.

"wield shield#" would unwield 2-handed items only to wield the shield, but it would just wield it in the other hand if a 1-handed item is already wielded.

I am converting a lot of my stuff to ingame aliases and just doing unwield left/unwield right/wield blah/wield blah on every alias and gagging it because I can, so why not?  This seems obnoxious to me.  Achaea already sends you fail messages if you wield incorrectly, why not just automatically correct it instead?  Doesn't seem too hard.

Comments

• I'm not a combatant, mind you, but I can imagine that this can have combat impications. Forcing unwields and wields is much more a hassle than just force wielding a two handed thing...

• well i doubt dsl person <venom> <venom> is forceable so i imagine this will fall in the same boat
  • This idea is completely fine, and would make things more convenient for a vast number of people. There's no negative implications of this whatsoever. There's no reason that just doing "wield bow" shouldn't automatically cause me to unwield other things I'm wielding.  It'll prevent people from having to perform tedious coding in their clients.

• Jhui said:
    well i doubt dsl person <venom> <venom> is forceable so i imagine this will fall in the same boat
    This handles retardation issues too.
  • Jhui said:
    well i doubt dsl person <venom> <venom> is forceable so i imagine this will fall in the same boat

That's definitely forceable, and there's no reason it shouldn't be. Know what else is forceable? COMBO <target> AXK UCP UCP (or whatever the syntax is).

• AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA

This is a fantastic idea. It took me a long time and a lot of trial and error to get to the point where I  could reliably switch between several weapons in the thick of combat, and it's complex enough that I can't easily pass on the knowledge to newer players trying to figure out the same thing.

It's a little thing that would go a long way.

-- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm

Can we extend it then to tekura users so they unwield when attempting to combo?

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • don't ask for too much, you might scare them off!

• i always get scared of blackout/blind/deaf conditions for gmcp data and still wind up making 2-3 failsafe triggers so i don't get stuck with something not wielding when i really need it.

These could be a non-issue, but they are the initial things that make me not want to start the coding process to begin with before asking for this to be implemented on their end.
  • AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA

And trying to explain gmcp to a true newbie is like trying to give someone a crash course on particle physics.

-- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • This is a good idea, but why do you guys make your things so unnecessarily complex? 

Unwield left; unwield right; wield rapier#; wield rapier#

No need to check gmcp or already know what you're wielding, just gag anything you don't want to see

• Jhui said:
    I am converting a lot of my stuff to ingame aliases and just doing unwield left/unwield right/wield blah/wield blah on every alias and gagging it because I can, so why not?  This seems obnoxious to me.  Achaea already sends you fail messages if you wield incorrectly, why not just automatically correct it instead?  Doesn't seem too hard.

• Cooper said:

This is a good idea, but why do you guys make your things so unnecessarily complex? 

Jhui said:

I would hope there would be a generic 'unwield' as well, for Monks. This would remove all combat implications with this system assuming everyone just adapted their attack aliases to:

wield dirk# shield#
    dstab <target> <venom> <venom>

or

unwield
    combo <target> <whatever>

Please implement.

Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

• CaladbolgCaladbolg Campbell County TN
    I was never able to fully code in wielding/unwielding on my dsl alias's I got it to the point if blah wasn't in left hand and blah wasn't in right hand to wield them but it would always unwield one of my rapiers. which is a hella lot of spam and makes me look stupid while im killing people. 

Implement please.

Also for the record, some of my more major problems with the bastard sword, that you can't sheathe if you already have a bow was sheathe left/right and it not sheathing because I just unwield that one.

• edited July 2014

i believe you can send a request to the server to ask them for item instead of what there in the room so it can send you what you have on your inventory by soon as possible after the blackout .

2015/01/12 Tecton, the Terraformer has bestowed His divine favour upon you. It will last for approximately 1 Achaean month.
  • Cooper said:

This is a good idea, but why do you guys make your things so unnecessarily complex? 

No need to check gmcp or already know what you're wielding, just gag anything you don't want to see

Good luck changing what you're wielding in retardation with that.

I probably have the most complex wielding script, because I insisted on having custom scabbards for specific weapon types, and was therefore forced to keep track of containers and the various DRAW/SHEATHE, LASH/UNLASH, etc. commands associated with them; mostly because the DRAW/SHEATHE syntax is desperately lacking.

• edited July 2014

I suggested both the OP and Jarrod's idea months ago... Right after queueing came out.

@Makario, Please read the IDEAs more often!