Monthly Promotions

KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
So with these last few month's of promotions, there have been items rolled out to simulate some high end artefacts, such as wings which can be used once, and now shrouds which decay within two hours when worn. I'm not sure how most people feel about them, but for me it's not really much of an incentive. Personally, I would like to see a chance to actually get artefacts due to purchasing as part of a monthly promotion, instead of something that can only be used once and doesn't have that much practical value.

Do you guys still buy into the promotions, simply don't care, or have anything in regards to promotions? Do you like the current promotions? If so, why? If not, what do you think would make them better?

Comments

• I think that with all the promotions, there are some I like and some I don't care about at all. I don't care about these veils, for instance, but I like the globes, even if all I get is crap sometimes. Some people won't bother at all with globes though, so I get it.

Honestly though, I think where you're still getting the credits you'd normally buy on a lot of these, the promotions are a nice bonus. I'm sure IRE analyses what works best and what doesn't, and then reruns the more profitable promotions, since they are in the business of making money and such. So it doesn't bother me so much when there's stuff I don't find enticing at all, but I do miss the freebies they were giving out monthly.
  • I don't like how they are giving out the most annoying artefact in the game (even temporarily) as part of the promotion. You want to increase player interaction, not help prevent it.

• Let's all be perfectly honest here.

Everyone who would buy credits would do it regardless of the promotion.

Quit complaining about free stuff.

Talking about player retention is silly when you have 0 clue how it actually affects player retention.
    Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

• edited June 2013
    Best promotion ever is the giftbags.
  • Jarrod said:
    Let's all be perfectly honest here.

Everyone who would buy credits would do it regardless of the promotion.

Quit complaining about free stuff.

Talking about player retention is silly when you have 0 clue how it actually affects player retention.
    Who said anything about player retention?
  • edited June 2013
    edit: accidental post

Party right, party hard,

Sing and dance, perfect bard.

Prefarar loop, accentato whore,

Buy a new rapier, get nerfed some more.

• JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    I don't really like the high end artie promotions, tbh. I'm never going to buy a veil because I can't justify spending almost 600 bucks on a game. On top of that, expiring after 2 hours is super short. I'm all for free stuff, but the single-use wings and the tempoveils just are not appealing to me on any level. If not for my iron elite credit bonus, I'd wait to see what the next promotion is instead of buying for the incentive.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Tahquil said:
    No, best promo ever is the spinning wheel thing in Thera. Loved that thing.
    And then they nerfed it. 

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• Shirszae said:
    Tahquil said:
    No, best promo ever is the spinning wheel thing in Thera. Loved that thing.
    And then they nerfed it. 
    Buffed it in Aetolia :(

• iirc, Akia ended up making like 800+ cr off the Aetolian wheel.

OP.

• edited June 2013
    my favorite promotions were the Wheel, the giftbags and the login-X-number-of-days ones (specially loved the Ranger's Compass).

btw, I loved Midkemia's wheel too. I got two skills trans because of that :D

edit:
    I pretty much don't care for the current one or any promotions similar to it (decaying versions of hihg end ones).
    ++ I love bonus credit/artie discount promos too.
  • I need a definitive and permanent result so I normally just wait until the credit, artie or crown sales if possible.
  • Usually promotions have no real visible negative effect for those that can't buy credits... this one is definitely an exception, and I don't like that.

Wish I could be excited about the great hunt, because I'd love to give a serious go at it, but I'm sure it'll just be two days of being unable to find anything to hunt, and being ganked. :(

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

• HataruHataru Midwest USA
    Going with @Katzchen and @Sultani on this, I pretty much never participate in anything that doesn't have a lasting effect and just wouldn't even bother to spend or buy credits on a month like this because it really just feels like a month where they didn't want to give too much of an advantage after auctions/big credit bonus so they just gave us a 'filler month' where nothing we got really mattered except for a very small window.

But what's most crap about it to me is pretty much what Katz said, this promo caters towards people who can already pop out 2k credits on a veil, why? Because they've now got 2 hours of being Profit - and that obviously made everyone super super super happy before. Because the people who can afford veils are more likely to be able to afford to buy credits on a month like this.

I get the need for a 'filler month' so that there isn't a huge bonus or really awesome promo every month so there's not just constant handing out of the free stuff that really drives Achaea's 'economy' but handing out something like veils that stack with already made veils** is too biased towards the niche group of the game who already has disposable income that they can spend in large amounts on Achaea towards getting a ridiculous advantage, more than usual or reasonable.

In Summary: I'm of the opinion that the goals of promos shouldn't be around just to give a further advantage to one class of Achaeans but should be geared towards bringing in new people, keeping novices interested in sticking around, and benefiting the most of the populace as possible. The wheel, xp days, lesson days, even IC artie sales all manage that because they can be done ICly, all this month does is promote the game for people who can buy their way to power.

And that's a dick move.

** I do agree its the only fair way to do it though, because otherwise you're punishing people for already having an item, which is why I didn't like the wings promo.
    (Mhaldor's Next Top Model): Melodie says, "Get rekt scrubbbbb."
    (Mhaldor's Next Top Model): You say, "Scrubbbssss."
    (Mhaldor's Next Top Model): Trey says, "Austere was hangin' out the passenger side of his best friend's ride, apparently."
  • ^ true ashtani
  • People would spend 10k on that.
  • and another 10k to be the only one with one*
  • Nah, 20k is just enough for the level 5 veil, which you will need to spy on people with a level 4 veil, or using the Rank 4 Pillow of Obscurity on their bed or the Class 4 Coating of Inequity on their ship.
  • disagreed because you posted twice when you could have just editted
  • I personally think that it comes down to what the 'point' is in promotions, from IRE's POV. There are some promotions that will increase artefact sales (such as the current, or any other which is about getting people to try out artefacts). There are some promotions that will increase interest and buy-in to Achaea's mythos/lore/RP (such as the Stian one). There are some that will increase credit sales (such as discounts and freebies).

I don't have a problem with any of these per se. My favourite are probably the 'daily log-in' promotions, but that's from an entirely selfish point of view. As has been said, those who want to buy credits should buy credits. Those who don't shouldn't. Everyone should remember that this is a game and a business.
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • I buy credits when I need them. whatever I get as a bonus is good for me and all, but I really really don't care.
    Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."
  • definitely not liking the past couple of monthly promotions. too much emphasis on buying.

bring back Wheel of Fate, 1 lesson per 10 minutes (max of 10 lessons), 1cr/day.

heck, i'm fine with just bringing back 1cr/comment in ironrealms.com.