Historical Timeline

@Sarapis asked me to work on documenting some of the lore and event news to the timeline like what used to be done, and while it's going to be quite the adventure to dig through and cross reference all those dates, on the wiki right now is the complete listing of the previous timeline.

And - is it long already.

That said, if anyone wants to take a look at what's there so far, or more as I slowly try to add on the additions, it's all located at http://wiki.achaea.com/Historical_Timeline for now. Though seriously contemplating breaking it up into pages by century. And apparently the wiki agrees with me since it keeps warning me the page is big enough it may cause issues to people trying to edit it. If anyone has any tidbits of history at ALL that may not be included in news posts that may be interesting to add? Shoot me a message and when I get to that year I'll format it right in.

Also if anyone wants to edit that page for any reason, please, please give me some kind of message so I'm aware. My memory is not the best and I don't want to spend ten minutes trying to figure out when the - I wrote something that I don't recognize at all. Because I probably will.

Comments

• Coming along well. Stage 1, done.

Stage 2 is the hard part, as now it's not just copy and paste. Now it's about interpreting the events news posts and writing summaries where appropriate of what they say, for addition to the timeline.

Thanks for the work here, @Linian!
  • edited May 2013
    I've gotten up to 317 AF done, but not going to lie. The 350 some event posts left to read feel a little intimidating. I ought to finish in a few weeks at this pace, though.

Edit: Worth noting up to 317 alone was probably 2-3 pages of text, so I'm not going that quickly, unfortunately.

• Crank through it. :)
  • edited May 2013
    Finished up through 350 AF, though for summaries, pretty sure I'm being too verbose. Everything from 302 to 350 was written by me, anyone want to give a good once-over and make sure I didn't screw up too badly?

Meanwhile, I'm going to sleep before my head explodes from trying to process so much lore at once. Pacing...right...pacing...

• @Linian This is looking great! I haven't read it in detail yet but on skimming it at least, kick-ass job so far.
  • HataruHataru Midwest USA
    If you need anything Mhaldor related I have some pretty good records from the Clergy, Maldaathi, and the city.
    (Mhaldor's Next Top Model): Melodie says, "Get rekt scrubbbbb."
    (Mhaldor's Next Top Model): You say, "Scrubbbssss."
    (Mhaldor's Next Top Model): Trey says, "Austere was hangin' out the passenger side of his best friend's ride, apparently."
  • Don't forget to add in Andraco's date of birth to the timeline. 14th Aeguary 494AF. It was a pretty important moment for everyone.
  • Thanks, everyone! Finally split them up into centuries for the sake of not having the wiki keep telling me it was too big, though any information from players or otherwise about the years prior to 176 to fill out a page for 100 to 199 would be awesome.

On that note, @Hataru I'd love to take you up on your offer. Things like Patron changes and large scale intrigue (like the Kharon 'chronicles') were archived in the previous timeline, but these sorts of things aren't often in the Events posts that I've been working with so far. If you, and anyone else from all the other houses/guilds/cities, could get me that information, I'd be absolutely delighted to add it into the timeline.

I can send it to you in game in a serious of letters, PM you here, or I can just e-mail you the files I have (pm me e-mail if that's what you want, this would probably be easiest). I'm actually in the process of updating the Maldaathi ones right now which is a pain since I wasn't around for Bal'met! I think I have several books laying around with lots of dates in them (specifically ones about @Sartan wehaveadivinenowIwilltagHim). I may or may not still have the Clergy ones on file but if I don't I can get them for you anyway.
    (Mhaldor's Next Top Model): Trey says, "Austere was hangin' out the passenger side of his best friend's ride, apparently."
  • I'm mostly working with OOC implements thus far, and while I'd love to shift a focus to IC as well, the two aren't too compatible with working on the wiki just yet. Though, trust me, I'm trying to figure out some kind of logic to get Linian working on that. It'll just have to wait until he does an IC version which will be a lot more in depth than summarizing events. I must be crazy to want to do this twice.

• Linian said:
    Thanks, everyone! Finally split them up into centuries for the sake of not having the wiki keep telling me it was too big, though any information from players or otherwise about the years prior to 176 to fill out a page for 100 to 199 would be awesome.

The reason nothing is listed before 176 is because Achaea opened just a few weeks before year 176.
    edited May 2013
    @Sarapis I have a few books of the history of some of the races and other stuff that I sent to them along with all my other books, so he may be able to get some earlier dates out of those if they (or you) wish to include it. (history of dwarven kind, that sort of stuff)

@Linian Just sent! Its a bigger batch then I thought, Clergy history, Maldaathi/Infernal History, Mhaldor history will come later when I get on Hat, bunches of books about general Achaean history, a lot of books on Hashan history apparently, Oakstone history. Probably about 4 help files and 20 or so books worth of stuff you can sort through if you want.

It should really help you to fill in a lot of the gaps that Events don't have because a lot of it is little stuff that's more personal to the orgs that wrote the books.

I have like 180 books from Achaea on my hard drive.
    I may or may not have single handedly made a library once thanks to @Orchist knowing how to fuel my crazy.
  • Ridiculous forum software not being compatible with the forums I normally use and tab+entering causing it to go to the home page and erase my posts three times in a row arrrrgh reflexes

@Hataru Thank you! This is wonderful, and will supplement the timeline wonderfully after I finish chewing through the event posts. Mostly so I don't get dates more mixed up.

And yup, racial things, organizational events/foundings/etc that are referenced but not often with dates applied, was more or less what I was looking for for pre-176. After all, adventurers may have not done it, but that doesn't mean it isn't important to the history of Achaea. :P

@Linian Any time! Helps when you've been Historian in two houses and got tasked with copying the books from a city, a clan, and three houses to make another houses library - you tend to acquire a lot of random stuff and information.
  • Hataru said:
    @Sarapis I have a few books of the history of some of the races and other stuff that I sent to them along with all my other books, so he may be able to get some earlier dates out of those if they (or you) wish to include it. (history of dwarven kind, that sort of stuff)

@Linian Just sent! Its a bigger batch then I thought, Clergy history, Maldaathi/Infernal History, Mhaldor history will come later when I get on Hat, bunches of books about general Achaean history, a lot of books on Hashan history apparently, Oakstone history. Probably about 4 help files and 20 or so books worth of stuff you can sort through if you want.

It should really help you to fill in a lot of the gaps that Events don't have because a lot of it is little stuff that's more personal to the orgs that wrote the books.

I have like 180 books from Achaea on my hard drive.
    I may or may not have single handedly made a library once thanks to @Orchist knowing how to fuel my crazy.
    That's awesome!
  • Linian said:
    Ridiculous forum software not being compatible with the forums I normally use and tab+entering causing it to go to the home page and erase my posts three times in a row arrrrgh reflexes

@Hataru Thank you! This is wonderful, and will supplement the timeline wonderfully after I finish chewing through the event posts. Mostly so I don't get dates more mixed up.

And yup, racial things, organizational events/foundings/etc that are referenced but not often with dates applied, was more or less what I was looking for for pre-176. After all, adventurers may have not done it, but that doesn't mean it isn't important to the history of Achaea. :P
    Fantastic. In fact, we can also work in stuff like the backstory from the Bal'met event, which revealed lore bits going back to before the Chaos Wars.
    @Sarapis glad to be of help!
  • edited June 2013
    Got up to around 380 AF, and hoped to get to 400 AF before the night finished out. Just hit the Vertani event.

Who needs sleep, right?

Edit: Actually, considering the expected size, that should probably get it's own page. The 300s are nearly larger than the rest of the timeline put together already.

Honestly that would be my suggestion - there are just parts of the timeline you're going to want to separate out because they alone will take so much room (Vertani, Bal'met...)
  • http://wiki.achaea.com/Vertani_War actually sums most of it up quite nicely already. I may just link to that in the timeline and move on, unless I find discrepancies as I go.

That is really thorough - given its so thorough I'd wager just link to it (and add anything missing to -that- file not to the history files) and then do the same with the Bal'Met event. (I honestly don't wiki really... ever... so I'm not sure what has its own files already and won't doesn't as far as huge events go or how detailed they are.)
  • AmunetAmunet Spokane, Washington, USA
    If you need any clarification on events surrounding Ashtan/Babel/the Occultists, @Linian, PM me and we'll get it sorted. Excellent work, so far.
    My avatar is an image created by this very talented gentleman, of whose work I am extremely jealous. It was not originally a picture of Amunet, but it certainly looks a great deal like how I envision her!
  • RuthRuth Singapore
    edited June 2013
    I have half of the old, old paladins/guardians history post summary and stuff (the timeline when someone put sartan on as patron of paladins) but I need to find out exactly where I saved it on.

Will update you on whether I can find it.
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• Well, I'm working on that bit by bit. Up to 390 AF now, and 265 Event posts to go! ANYTHING anyone can send/give/etc. that provides a more detailed summary of what's there, or wouldn't have been in an event post is wonderful, as far as I'm concerned. And appreciated.

• Double post. Sue me.

Finished with years 300 through 399 (more like 396 but I refuse to give up my naming convention), which can be found here:
    http://wiki.achaea.com/Timeline:_300_AF_to_399_AF

If anyone wants to go through and start linking various things to help the curious (like instances of Sarapis to Sarapis's wiki page, within reason), I would very much appreciate it as one less thing to do. Year 200 through 299 too, actually. That said, I'm looking at you, years 400 through 499.

• @linian I linked up the pre-200 page, and got partway through the 200-299 as well. I'm not linking every instance of every word, as that's too much, but am trying to link the first mention of a word/phrase on the page, as well as some subsequent re-uses of it (since the pages are pretty long).
  • @Linian Ok, 172-299 all linked up.
  • edited June 2013
    Since they are basically no longer classified if you need copies of the Templar archives I've got them send me a message we have quite detailed records all the way back to Gawain. Pretty Sure we had a couple historians working on shallams timeline too but I'll have to check with them to see how far they got.
    (Blades of Valour): He just has that Synbios Swagger enough said.
    (Blades of Valour): Draekar says: "Synbios if sunbeams sparkle off that I'll kill you where you stand."

(Party) Halos says, "Disbar?"
    (Party) Draekar says, "You know here we have disbar."
    (Party) Draekar says, "And over there we have datbar."