Help me Focus on One Character

In an effort to reduce my Super Serious Alt Disorder, I am doing my best to focus my attention on one character so that I may actually focus on long-term goals I have in-game. I've chosen to follow Aeolithon's advice to help me decide: decide where I want to be, decide on goals, then choose a class. I know the faction I want to be apart of, I have an idea of what I want this character to achieve (RP issues aside), and I definitely want to engage in combat. I cannot decide on a class, however. As I have no one to bounce ideas off of, I thought I'd start this thread for help.

Blademaster:
++  Fast bashing
++  Low maintenance/upkeep costs (armor, cures, only uses one weapon), which means I can put the limited amount of gold I earn towards buying credits
+  I love the flavor (my favorite class in that respect)
++  Supposedly strong PvP, 1v1 and in group combat
-  Combat made more complicated due to odd limb counting, would probably require a limb counter
-  No ranged combat for groups
-  Other than some lore, no existing class RP outside of being lumped into monastic organizations and current BM houses suck

Serpent:
++  Have one character that is already trans Subterfuge
+  Great non-combat utility (stealth, warps, theft may be an option, etc)
+  Good flavor
+  Ranged combat option
+  Supposedly strong PvP, 1v1 and in group combat
--- I find the combat to be inscrutable, frustrating, and just not fun. I don't want to just rely on archery either, otherwise I feel like I'm just wasting my time on half of a class.
--  Plenty of Upkeep at the moment (venom vials, cures, armor, whip, dirk, bow, arrows) means less gold towards acquiring credits

Magi:
+  Excellent non-combat utility
+  Low maintenance/upkeep costs (cures, occasionally hunting for pearls or [optionally] enchantment ingredients)
+  Supposedly strong PvP, 1v1 and in group combat
+  Ranged combat option, though it requires 2 other magi (Cata seems badass, though)
+  Only need 2x trans for combat
-  Current magi houses suck
-  As this is the only class of the three I've never actually used in combat, I don't know many other downsides.

I would appreciate any relevant comments you have.

Comments

• It would help knowing what faction you want to be a part of, for relevance in House choice. 

Honestly, they're all good classes, you chose well. As Aeolithon, I think you know enough of the classes for you to decide for yourself based on the idea of the character you want to play as. They are all quite different in that aspect, so I don't know if anyone is going to be able to answer this question better than you can yourself. Unless you have specific questions, of course! 
  • I have to say Blademaster, they are a lot of fun and less hassle. (if you do go BM trans twoarts first)
  • Have to go with @Agravain here. If you've decided on a city, pick the house in that city that looks the best, and go for whichever of those three classes that house accepts. I think the only house that accepts two of those three houses is the Sylvans in Eleusis. Since you Serpent is the only one of the three for which you didn't include "Current X houses suck" in the cons, if you're enjoying the SL on Wilhelmina, I'd say stick with her.

From what I've seen serpent is a really fun class in general. I agree on finding 1v1 serpent combat pretty daunting, but if the forums are to be believed, it's good in the sense that in the course of learning serpent combat you'll learn a lot about combat mechanics in general.
  • VayneVayne Rhode Island

Delphinus said:
    Wouldn't a Serpent be "the one rogue type dude among the sea of rogue type dudes"?
    Disclaimer!
    I don't know enough about the other classes to make an argument against them so I will just say what I think makes Serpent your best choice.
    - Amazing utility, subterfuge is one of the most fun skillsets in the game.
    - Good hunting: People bash Serpent bashing but it is quite good, get a good whip, decent armour, and some runes on top of scales and you can bash pretty damn well.
    - You have an active house to grow with...and Ourania is our matron.
    - Combat is... challenging, but fun and rewarding in a group.
    - Upkeep isn't bad, rob the Theran guards a couple times and you are set.
  • Vayne said:
    Magi- Houses are no bueno

No bueno....srsly?
    Achimrst said:

Vayne said:

No bueno....srsly?

Sí, lo digo en serio
  • Vayne said:
    Vayne said:

No bueno....srsly?
    Sí, lo digo en serio
    If your that serious, I will believe you.
  • Just try them all until a character clicks with you and you don't want to play anyone else. It doesn't matter what class is "best", because the character you end up playing will have nothing to do with any of that. I went through like twenty different characters before settling on one. Also don't buy credits until you settle or you'll be like "well I spent money on this character so I don't want to give them up".
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Vayne said:
    Vayne said:

No bueno....srsly?
    Sí, lo digo en serio

Liked because of spanish. 

Also, archery is awesome.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• edited May 2013
    I always pick char classes based on their personality. Maybe trying that will help?
    I like BM the best though. You get a cool sword name like dancing bears or holy elephants. :')
    Commission List: Aesi, Kenway, Shimi, Kythra, Trey, Sholen .... 5/5 CLOSED
    I will not draw them in the order that they are requested... rather in the order that I get inspiration/artist block.
  • Averi said:
    I always pick char classes based on their personality. Maybe trying that will help?
    I like BM the best though. You do the blade quest a bazillion times trying to get a cool sword name like dancing bears or holy elephants. :')
    FTFY
    Hiroma tells you, "I just got to listen to someone complain about your deadly axekick being the bane of their existence."
    Archdragon Mizik Corten, Herald of Ruin says, "Man, that was a big axk."
    Hellrazor Cain de Soulis, Sartan's Hammer says, "Your [sic] a beast."
  • @Wilhelmina - What's wrong with BM Houses? Serious question.
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • edited May 2013
    Thanks for the input so far. Just playing until something clicks does seem like the way to go. I just feel like it would continue the standstill I've been at for years.

@Sylvance,

You know, there's actually nothing 'wrong' with any house. However, the RP attached to those houses aren't fun for me. With the Magi, you have the options of the mostly friendly junior varsity Lupus order that does actually incorporate the elements into their RP sometimes, the aimless Warlocks who crusade against boredom by chillin' in the Ashtan market, or the overly friendly Sylvan Fellowship. Oh, and the Merchants. Available to the BMs are the evil monastic house, the respectful monastic house with plenty of essays and lectures on offer, a generic monastic just doing whatever, acombat-focused monastic house that's actually boring to be a member of, and the overly friendly Sylvan Fellowship.

I do not hate any of those houses, but I've had experiences with all of them and didn't enjoy what they had.
  • Magi have the Congregation and Mhaldor.
  • True! I actually have nothing against the Congregation, I just forget they exist. I wanted to join Targossas, though they have no houses currently.
  • TarausTaraus The Gypsy Wind
    Well... while my own advice doesn't focus on RP-particulars, I can tell you, one thing that has absolutely kept me from spending any appreciable amount of time on an alt is travelling. With my main having access to Universe tarot, eagle's wings, and gare... I'll log into an alt, realize I actually have to -walk- somewhere, and just say fuck it, and switch back to Tart.

• edited May 2013
    The one thing that has kept me from alting is having to bash up to a somewhat decent level. I want to be able to make an alt and be insta-level-80, so I never have to bash again.

I guess a lower level than that would do too, especially if I didn't do any combat with it, but lots of houses still have at least medium level requirements. Sure, you may say that getting to level 40 doesn't take long, but it's still annoying when you're a newbie with no travel abilities, no gold reserves to keep a decent stock of health vials, and have to sleep to regain endurance all the time.
  • How is Serpent combat "frustrating, and just not fun"?

Serpents get evade as their fourth skill in subterfuge. Thats like what, 30 lessons in subterfuge and get a skill that is equivalent to a trans skill? 

Nuff said.
  • edited May 2013
    You have to be Mako. 

It would explain how you're so knowledgeable.

And logical, don't forget logical.
  • edited May 2013
    Nyboe said:
    How is Serpent combat "frustrating, and just not fun"?

Serpents get evade as their fourth skill in subterfuge. Thats like what, 30 lessons in subterfuge and get a skill that is equivalent to a trans skill? 

Nuff said.
    While I personally certainly find serpent combat enjoyable, I don't see how the amount of lessons needed to get evade has any bearing on that. Evade is a cool and powerful ability, extremely useful both in and out of combat, but you don't win fights by evading alone.

The availability of a powerful ability alone doesn't suffice to make a class "fun" for everyone.
  • Or you could go sentinel and not have to buy artie wings, seeing how you can use a morph for it. (I think?)
  • Iocun said:
    Nyboe said:
    How is Serpent combat "frustrating, and just not fun"?

Nuff said.
    While I personally certainly find serpent combat enjoyable, I don't see how the amount of lessons needed to get evade has any bearing on that. Evade is a cool and powerful ability, extremely useful both in and out of combat, but you don't win fights by evading alone.

The availability of a powerful ability alone doesn't suffice to make a class "fun" for everyone.
    Speak for yourself. I count any fight I walk (or run) away from alive as a win.
  • honestly, all i did to stick to one character was find a good name, something that i really liked. i've bounced around as a monk, blademaster and runewarden (yay ashura!), twice switched back to monk and bm, and am now on my second stint as a runie. did i regret losing lessons and having to reinvest? of course. did i have any less fun in doing that? no, because i'm still tarkanian at the end of the day.

seriously, find a niche of who you are, and make your world to your liking. you have to compromise a little every now and then, sure, but you get to enjoy whatever class you are as long as you enjoy who you are, regardless of class. somehow, that probably doesn't make sense, but it does to me. i still am having fun playing achaea, despite being semi-dormant due to family obligations.
  • I'll tell you one way how to stick to one character, but it might not be your personal cup of tea. That's alright, you've got to want to do it, but I know this one works.

First, you have to change up your priorities. Forget class being what you stick to, as that's not what's been working for you so far. Instead, stick to a city, a house, an organisation large enough to warrant your personal attention. It can even be a family if you're into that kind of thing. It'll take time, but aim towards making yourself a part of their system, integrate yourself and lay down ties, you'll soon find what you're rewarded with might just make you stick around, even if you've got class change syndrome.

Sincerely,
    The man who has wasted around 5,500 lessons on class changing.

• Zael said:
    Or you could go sentinel and not have to buy artie wings, seeing how you can use a morph for it. (I think?)
    Artefact wings bring you to a place that's basically a non-newbie Ring of Portals. Metamorphosis lets you travel instantly to someone, if both you and your target are outdoors.
  • Delphinus said:
    Zael said:
    Or you could go sentinel and not have to buy artie wings, seeing how you can use a morph for it. (I think?)
    Artefact wings bring you to a place that's basically a non-newbie Ring of Portals. Metamorphosis lets you travel instantly to someone, if both you and your target are outdoors.
    Instantly you say? This sounds better then evade. Is there any way to prevent this instant travel by a sentinel through any hindering methods? Its not hard to locate someone outdoors.
  • edited May 2013
    Delphinus said:
    Zael said:
    Ahh.. I didn't know that about the Artie wings.