Please welcome, Cobra...

Comments

• Dear Shibumi,

That really makes my day, thank you so very much.  Trust me, I have been here in spirit much longer than most of you and there is a sense of pride I have about it.  I will try my best to jump through every hoop the Divine create however, I do not jump for mere mortals.  I do hope you feel the same.  

Take care of the light Shibumi.

Sincerely,

Cobra

P.S. Sarapis himself walked me from the boy I was into the man I am today (I am talking in-character here). Achaea holds the highest respect and love in my heart, and I have always felt honored to be a part of this magical place.  
  • edited April 2013
    Dear @Jarrod,

It is I who am excited to have you, Jarrod, one of the great and elite professionals leading our House.    My belief is this, the only way to achieve success with certainty, is to surround yourself with the best.  If you are a Shadowsnake, then you are this already, and once they vote you as their Shadow Matrix, you can honestly say that you are ONE of the ELITE.  Congratulations to you Jarrod!  Please let me know how I can be of service to you.

Sincerely,

Cobra
  • edited April 2013
    I read "Cobra" and immediately associated "the guy who discovered cactus weed". Such a shame that help file was taken down!
  • edited April 2013
    Dear @Iocun,

Ahh...those were the good ole days, I hear there are much harder drugs in Achaea these days?

@Vayne,  Yes I have heard some horrible things about the guild I founded, and that is just fine by me.  Clearly my vision was obscured by those with a different agenda, however, that is being taken care of as I speak.  It's good to be back.

@Delphinus, I see your point all to clear, and trust me, I am rather relieved to finally find a place to let off some stem but I don't think I will be joining anyone in the "out of character" posting here.  However I might relax a bit...if that is what you are all suggesting.    I like to have LOTS of FUN.  Don't let me fool you.

And to let everyone know, I am very happy to have found the Achaean forums, this I will never regret.  I have a lot of catching up to do, and I am looking forward to meeting all of you.

Take care of yourselves, 

Cobra
  • Hey, old man. It's been a while.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Am I the only one who read the first post in the voice of either Captain James Tiberius Kirk, or Christopher Walken?

I think it's awesome to see Cobra return to Achaea. Often, characters from back when things were just getting started rarely show back up after this long, but now I've noticed a few come back.

One thing I can say though, is that sometimes this is a pleasant surprise, other times it is not. I wasn't recently a bit disappointed when someone named Delta showed up post-Bal'met war claiming to be an original Order member for Daedalus, which from what I was able to tell appeared to be false, as his only definition of Balance was in correlation to being a Monk and needing balance to fight.

Cobra on the other hand knows what he was once a part of, and it's probably relatively complicated returning after all this time. He seems to be taking the task with considerable enthusiasm, which is good to see.

Welcome back, Cobra.

• Kresslack said:
    I wasn't recently a bit disappointed when someone named Delta showed up post-Bal'met war claiming to be an original Order member for Daedalus, which from what I was able to tell appeared to be false, as his only definition of Balance was in correlation to being a Monk and needing balance to fight
    I remember a lot of people from back when.  Delta doesn't ring a bell.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • I hate to lean on the off-topic side of things, but does anyone remember a guy named Adeon?
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Trevize said:
    Kresslack said:
    I wasn't recently a bit disappointed when someone named Delta showed up post-Bal'met war claiming to be an original Order member for Daedalus, which from what I was able to tell appeared to be false, as his only definition of Balance was in correlation to being a Monk and needing balance to fight
    He's almost as old as Cobra, but I had never heard of him either. I kind of think he was bs'ing me after hearing about the Cabal of Balance.

• Lies/estimates ahahaha

+1 Babel
  • Trevize said:
    Kresslack said:
    Delta was old Kharon. Seemed fine to me when he was around, though obviously a bit out of touch. Never talked to him about Daedalus, though.
  • Dear @Scarlatti and @Ourania,

It is my pleasure to meet you both.  Thank you so much for putting a smile on my face and many others.  I look forward to many more good times.

@Kresslack,  My main concern is to adapt to the new Achaea as quickly as possible and make good solid relationships that I once had in the land.  However, I do know what you mean about players coming back and proclaiming this and that.  If I mislead any of you please let this old fool know.  As for Delta, I am sure we crossed paths back in the day, it was rather hard not too.  I am looking forward to seeing the Achaean Seas with my own eyes.

@Trevize, Thank you for your greeting.  It's nice to meet you.

Sincerely,

Cobra
  • edited April 2013
    Cobra said:
    Dear @Jarrod,

It is I who am excited to have you, Jarrod, one of the great and elite professionals leading our House.    My belief is this, the only way to achieve success with certainty, is to surround yourself with the best.  If you are a Shadowsnake, then you are this already, and once they vote you as their Shadow Matrix, you can honestly say that you are ONE of the ELITE.  Congratulations to you Jarrod!  Please let me know how I can be of service to you.

Sincerely,

Cobra

Shadowsnakes? Elite? Wat.

(I do apologize if this post does not contain enough RPz for this thread)

P.S. Welcome back!

• edited April 2013
    Dear @Synbios,

Returning to something you once loved will be something most of you do.  Things happen in real life that predict your time in any fantasy world.  It's when the fantasy world starts to take over your real life that you need to maybe take a step back, re align yourself, and figure out what the hell is going on in your life.  It's good to be back, much of Achaea is like I remember, the only difference is the HUGE who list.  When I was younger, you were lucky to have 4 players on at the same time, and usually one or two of them were Gods. 

@Terra, You probably don't know the history of the Shadowsnakes and are assuming the story.  As the guild's founder, I can honestly say that my way of running things is completely different then the way new houses have been run.  I have heard bad things about the Shadowsnakes and I know why...We started accepting non-elite members.  Being a serpent class is about the hardest thing to do in Achaea successfully.  That is why I only offered membership to my guild if you were the best.  Now after,  350-400 years later, my ideas have been somewhat lost and my once proud guild stands in the shadow of the House that cripple it's meaning.  We were so strict with our procedures that the Divine decided it would be best to let all guilds accept any members.  I remember the day you could walk up and just join the Shadowsnakes.  So much for cherry picking the best.  No worries, @Terra, and by the way, I could care less if you role play or not, and where you do, I DON'T CARE!  Maybe others do, but you can not RUIN my good time.  I have learned so much more than petty, Cobra isn't supposed to role play in the forums and Cobra is not playing his role correctly in Achaea.  Gads, if this is what Achaea has turned into...Betting on WHO complains first might be a pass time for us elite.    As for welcoming me back,  Thank you, it's good to be back.  

Sincerely,

Cobra  
  • edited April 2013

My post was in jest. You seem like a pretty cool guy.

I played serpent for a long time. Was a Shadowsnake for some time and a well-respected serpent fighter. Serpent will always have a special place in my heart.

Edit: Why are this forum's smileys so creepy?

Edit 2: Also, while the Shadowsnakes were utterly awful until recently (thank god you missed that period), @Jarrod, @Corbeaux, and @Babel are amazing, so they are probably getting a lot better now.

• edited April 2013
    Dear @Terra,

I do understand, and yes, under it all I have a somewhat complicated sense of humor.  I get ya.  Thank you for your comment and making me smile.  I am glad you tried the Shadowsnakes out for a bit.  I was shocked to find out that a house can have different classes in them.  That threw me for a loop.  I was always surrounded by snakes, and to have other classes in my house is, disturbing.  

Any secrets my guild once held is lost, any ideas of becoming a Shadowsnake with true passion, is lost.  However, I plan on making the Shadowsnakes the power house it once was. 

Have a great time and enjoy life, it goes rather fast.

Sincerely yours,

Cobra

P.S. I am surprised they actually allow smiley faces...When I first talked to Sarapis in Achaea, I was a nobody and I talked like the child I was and he put me right in my place.  I believe I did one of those stupid smiley faces in text and he said, NEVER do that again.  So I never have.  Ever.  Not anywhere. Nor to anyone.
  • Welcome back! Some older perspective would be welcomed.
  • No.

-Yue
  • AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    We didn't have forums back in the 90s.  :(
  • edited April 2013
    Obviously never been on bbs before the WWW
  • YueYue
    edited April 2013
    I wonder what playing Achaea on a 300 baud modem would be like.
  • Daeir said:
    Isn't signing your own forum posts something that we grew out of in the 90's?
    Dear @Daeir,

Personally, I take time to write these posts, so I sign my name to the bottom.  To me it's a professional thing and I rather like it.  If you feel the need to tease me about it, that is fine by me, however, you will not see me picking on people for how they format their posts.  Really, your the 3rd person in the Achaean forums to point out that I "sign" my name to things I write. 

Just to let you know, things haven't changed because of a BBS or a forum.  Generally, adults know exactly how to format a letter and enjoy reading something that has been properly drafted.  But, we live in a time when some don't think posting on a forum, or e-mailing is a letter.  I am not one of these people.  

Drauka said:
    Welcome back! Some older perspective would be welcomed.
    Dear @Drauka,  Thank you very much, it is very good to be back!  Hope to see you around in Achaea.  As for an older perspective, I would be glad to share any stories from the old days, but each story will be signed be me.  Horrifying I know.
    Sultani said:
    I remember dialing up to a BBS with a 2400 bps modem and having to wait a few minutes for the ascii dragon picture to load at the beginning of LORD.
    Dear @Sultani,  Oh man, what did that stand for again, Legend of the Red Dragon?  What a killer game!  I was also a big fan of Trade Wars(z) 2000.  I used to have to call 1-800's from the back pages of the Computer Shopper because I my parents always insisted on living long distance from any cool bulletin board system.  What a bunch of hippies!   
    Kresslack said:
    Am I the only one who read the first post in the voice of either Captain James Tiberius Kirk, or Christopher Walken?

Dear @Kresslack, I am honored to be compared to these two incredible Icons - Captain James Tiberius Kirk and Christopher Walken...That made my day.  However I do think for my "very" first post in the Achaean forums (which we never had back in my time) was rather nerve racking for me so, yes, I used a lot of commas.  Thanks again! 
    Yue said:
    I wonder what playing Achaea on a 300 baud modem would be like.
    Dear @Yue,  Gads I think a text based MUD is the only thing you could play with a 300 baud modem.  Trying to download anything back then was a NIGHTMARE!  
    To everyone else,  Thank you so much for the warm welcomes, in the forums and in Achaea!  It truly is a blessing for me to be able to share this experience with you all again.   With any luck we will all have a great time killing each other.  Take care until then.

Sincerely yours,

Cobra
  • edited April 2013
    Daeir said:
    It's a matter of dissonant register, to be perfectly honest, but whatever floats yer boat.
    Dear @Daeir,

You know I have never been one to walk with the masses.  But seriously, is it that big of a deal...is this what you guys and gals have on each other now days?  Laughing and giggling over posts?  I do see your point however, and yes signing a forum post has probably been long gone since the modern age of your cell phone along with any type of formal grammar.

But...I like to stand out like a sore thumb.  So, thank you for comment, I will continue to do what "floats my boat". 

Sincerely,

Cobra

P.S. Feel free to do ANYTHING you like, I am not here to try to diminish your feelings.
  • Good lord, I miss roguelikes. Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, anyone?

• Roguelikes separate the men from the boys.
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.