Why is Synthesis still class dependent?

edited December 2015 in North of Thera
I thought the entire point of the trade skill change was to make trade skills class independent, but for some reason Synthesis restricts the amount of primes someone who isn't Alchemist can extract.

Can someone clarify? With limited extraction a person literally cannot compete on a time/gold ratio with an Alchemist, making the skill economically still entirely tied to Alchemist.

@Tecton @Makarios

Comments

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    Amranu said:
    I thought the entire point of the trade skill change was to make trade skills class independent, but for some reason Synthesis restricts the amount of primes someone who isn't Alchemist can extract.

Can someone clarify? With limited extraction a person literally cannot compete on a time/gold ratio with an Alchemist, making the skill economically still entirely tied to Alchemist.

@Tecton @Makarios
    Between my alchemist alt (with gloves of extraction) and Kyrra being a Runie with Synthesis (and gloves of extraction), the amount of primes that I get is roughly exactly the same. I've noticed that the amount of primes vary depending on the locations. Those areas that are regularly visited and often extracted sometimes have a lot less yield, but I get quite a higher yield on islands and areas less frequently visited by people.

It seems people are more prone to cleaning out caves than going through mountainous areas as well. I get a fair amount of primes from the mountains in a lot of areas.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    There's no class-specific elements on extraction (just double-checked) - as Kyrra said, the common areas will yield a lot less than those rooms that are rarely extracted from.
  • edited December 2015
    I think you need a double-check @Tecton

As Serpent

Successfully extracted 2 salt crystals! Yay! - We've extracted 199 salt! Woohoo!
    5664h, 4940m, 23620e, 23620w cek-(-20m, 0.3%) 
    You store 2 alchemical salt, bringing the total in the rift to 9857.
    5664h, 4940m, 23620e, 23620w cek-
    You have recovered balance on all limbs. (3.425s)
    5664h, 4940m, 23630e, 23630w cexk-
    Successfully extracted 2 drams of mercury! Yay! - We've extracted 193 mercury! Woohoo!
    5664h, 4920m, 23620e, 23620w cek-(-20m, 0.3%) 
    You store 2 alchemical mercury, bringing the total in the rift to 199.
    5664h, 4920m, 23620e, 23620w cek-
    You have recovered balance on all limbs. (3.557s)
    5664h, 4920m, 23630e, 23630w cexk-
    Successfully extracted 2 pinches of powdered sulphur! Yay! - We've extracted 192 sulphur! 
    Woohoo!

You are now a member of the alchemist class.

Successfully extracted 4 salt crystals! Yay! - We've extracted 203 salt! Woohoo!
    6300h, 4880m, 23818e, 23620w cek-(-20m, 0.3%) 
    You store 4 alchemical salt, bringing the total in the rift to 9861.
    6300h, 4880m, 23818e, 23620w cek-
    You have recovered balance on all limbs. (3.401s)
    6300h, 4880m, 23818e, 23630w cexk-
    Successfully extracted 4 drams of mercury! Yay! - We've extracted 197 mercury! Woohoo!
    6300h, 4860m, 23848e, 23620w cek-(-20m, 0.3%) 
    You store 4 alchemical mercury, bringing the total in the rift to 203.
    6300h, 4860m, 23848e, 23620w cek-
    You have recovered balance on all limbs. (3.373s)
    6361h, 4860m, 23848e, 23630w cexk-(+61h, 1.0%) 
    Successfully extracted 3 pinches of powdered sulphur! Yay! - We've extracted 195 sulphur! 
    Woohoo!
    6361h, 4840m, 23838e, 23620w cek-(-20m, 0.3%) 
    You store 3 alchemical sulphur, bringing the total in the rift to 195.

Every time I'm not Alchemist I only get 2. When I'm Alchemist I get 3-4. Doesn't matter the area. This was in the Great Rock. I've had the exact same results in Manara too. Those are heavily harvested areas. 

• edited December 2015
    Salt, sulphur, and mercury in the alchemy skill allows for extracting additional primes.
    retired
  • Classlead new submit salt/sulphur/mercury Alchemists get an unfair advantage in the synthesis market, plz fix!
  • Yes, Alchemist do get extra primes. I felt the same. I don't get extra when in serpent, even dragonform off alchemist reduces the rate.
  • They are right. no matter where i go on my non alchemist i only get 2 primes. i've chosen the trait for a chance at additional ones too, and it never seems to proc for me
  • edited January 2016
    I don't really understand how this is a problem.

You're saying that you "can't possibly compete", but...in what sense?

It doesn't cost anything but time to extract. Yeah, your time-to-gold ratio isn't as favourable, but it isn't like the quantity you can ultimately extract is limited in any substantial way. It isn't like you can't possibly come up with enough to stock a shop because it takes you a little bit longer to get the primes. It isn't like you go to sell to someone and they say "nevermind, I don't want to buy cures from you because an alchemist could have produced them faster".

You can't make the same gold per unit of time. That doesn't mean that you can't compete. You're not unable to bring your product to the market. People still buy it.

It's pretty absurd to say that this "[makes] the skill economically still entirely tied to Alchemist". It doesn't. At all. You just make slightly less gold-per-hour if you aren't an alchemist. You can still be perfectly succesful at making gold through Synthesis without being one.

And synthesising and transmutating still take the same amount of time, so it isn't nearly as big an advantage as it sounds when you're looking at just prime extraction.

Should tradeskills also be moved to a different balance? Quick-witted classes "literally cannot compete" at Synthesis on a time-gold ratio either. And that's an advantage that applies to extraction, synthesising, and transmutating. Why aren't you railing against the unfairness of that?

It's a nice bit of flavour. If anything, I wish there were more things like this. Give forestals a little bump for harvesting and magi a bump for enchanting and serpents a bump for toxicology. Letting anyone learn to harvest herbs was a nice change, but there's no real problem with giving forestals a slight edge at it.
  • Props to those who extract. After an hour of it I was like NOPE and bought what I needed
  • KasyaKasya Tennessee
    Aesi said:
    Props to those who extract. After an hour of it I was like NOPE and bought what I needed
    I had that on my old main and it was the most boring thing I've ever done in Achaea, which included uprooting and retoteming a temple.

On Kas, I had harvesting for a bit. And then did what you did, paid people who had far more patience than I did.
  • Tael said:

It would help if you read the post. I didn't say I can't possibly compete, I said:
    a person literally cannot compete on a time/gold ratio with an Alchemist

That more or less answers the above question and the rest of your rambling post which fails to really contribute much other than being devil's advocate for no apparent reason.

• I don't find the claim to be true. I'm an alchemist, and when I first saw this thread I wandered around the whole world checking it out. I got 2 2 2 2 2 2 2... I tried moghedu, genji, tuar, ulangi, 2 2 2 2 2 2. Manara, nuskuwe, 2 2 2 2. I only ever went extracting before the split when I couldn't find another alchemist to sell me primes, so this just tells me I'm never extracting again. If people are finding more primes somehow, I don't think it's because of alchemy, or I have offended the rng god.
  • For my own anecdotal two cents, primes went downhill a bit (heh, a bit) after the tradeskill split. Alchemists were generally few and far between, much less ones who consistently extracted significant volumes in single sessions. After the split, it seems like half the damn realms wanted to capitalize on extracting primes to sell, or to synthesise their own cheap minerals.  I didn't do imperical testing on the availability because multiclassing wasn't there yet, but generally speaking it felt down across the board. Consistent 5-7 yields per extraction were suddenly down to 2 or 3, despite still showing at 'plentiful'.

You certainly don't see me running around anymore trying to offload five and six-digit amounts of primes per month, or being sure to log in at prime replenishment happy hours. Even as an alchemist with the respective trait and gloves it became a losing proposition when I could hunt or quest instead, and I haven't missed it since I left alchemy behind.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. :)
  • It's fixed already despite the denial. Previously I can get up to 7 primes a room in Alchie and up to 5 as another class (say dragonform), but now, it's max 5 primes no matter which class I switch to. That's with trans synthesis and gloves. It does make extraction time almost doubled, so...expect minerals to be more expensive. I mean, I'd rather buy than extract/synthesize, that means you guys are selling minerals too cheap.
  • edited January 2016
    Amranu said:
    Tael said:

It would help if you read the post. I didn't say I can't possibly compete, I said:

That more or less answers the above question and the rest of your rambling post which fails to really contribute much other than being devil's advocate for no apparent reason.

I pretty clearly read the post. Did you read mine before rudely writing it off as rambling? And why would I play devil's advocate? Did you not consider that maybe I actually disagree with you? I like the idea of a class having a small bonus to a thematically-tied tradeskill. I'm not really sure how that's so unbelievable that you would assume I'm just arguing for the sake of arguing.

I said, for instance: "You can't make the same gold per unit of time. That doesn't mean that you can't compete"

You're conflating getting a lower return with being unable to compete. Your post insinuated that any bonus to Alchemist extraction made Synthesis uneconomical for non-Alchemists.

You said: "making the skill economically still entirely tied to Alchemist" (emphasis mine).

Except a small bonus doesn't make a tradeskill economically "entirely tied to a class". Making slightly less gold per hour is not at all the same thing as not being able to compete. It's absurd to call a tradeskill "entirely" tied to a class as though it's pointless without the class when all they're actually getting is a relatively small bonus (which you've obtusely phrased as a limitation on every other class).

If it has indeed already been changed, I understand, but I think it's a shame. It was a nice flavour element that helped to mitigate a little of the weirdness of splitting off the tradeskills that were more clearly class-aligned and it didn't really harm anyone.
  • Tael said:
    Amranu said:
    Tael said:

I pretty clearly read the post. Did you read mine before rudely writing it off as rambling? And why would I play devil's advocate? Did you not consider that maybe I actually disagree with you? I like the idea of a class having a small bonus to a thematically-tied tradeskill. I'm not really sure how that's so unbelievable that you would assume I'm just arguing for the sake of arguing.

I said, for instance: "You can't make the same gold per unit of time. That doesn't mean that you can't compete"

You're conflating getting a lower return with being unable to compete. Your post insinuated that any bonus to Alchemist extraction made Synthesis uneconomical for non-Alchemists.

You said: "making the skill economically still entirely tied to Alchemist" (emphasis mine).

Except a small bonus doesn't make a tradeskill economically "entirely tied to a class". Making slightly less gold per hour is not at all the same thing as not being able to compete. It's absurd to call a tradeskill "entirely" tied to a class as though it's pointless without the class when all they're actually getting is a relatively small bonus (which you've obtusely phrased as a limitation on every other class).

If it has indeed already been changed, I understand, but I think it's a shame. It was a nice flavour element that helped to mitigate a little of the weirdness of splitting off the tradeskills that were more clearly class-aligned and it didn't really harm anyone.

Your language indicates that you are attempting to counter his argument, but your argument is not actually counter to his.

Ignoring the negativity on both sides, he simply indicates that the gold/time is favorable for alchemists and he does not believe it should be. You simply indicate it's favorable for alchemists and you believe it should be. Yet your argument focuses on him saying it's favorable, which you agree with, and not why you believe it should be, beyond "thematic."

Also, to your previous "It doesn't cost anything but time to extract." Time is very hard to place a value on, the typical method is to relate other returns for the same amount of time. To say "you get less per time but you do not lose value - it just takes more time for you" is invalid on a basic level. You're comparing two currencies while ignoring the value of one of them.

• edited January 2016
    Xylon said:
    Tael said:
    Amranu said:
    Tael said:

Your language indicates that you are attempting to counter his argument, but your argument is not actually counter to his.

Ignoring the negativity on both sides, he simply indicates that the gold/time is favorable for alchemists and he does not believe it should be. You simply indicate it's favorable for alchemists and you believe it should be. Yet your argument focuses on him saying it's favorable, which you agree with, and not why you believe it should be, beyond "thematic."

Also, to your previous "It doesn't cost anything but time to extract." Time is very hard to place a value on, the typical method is to relate other returns for the same amount of time. To say "you get less per time but you do not lose value - it just takes more time for you" is invalid on a basic level. You're comparing two currencies while ignoring the value of one of them.

I'm not confused about whether time has a value.

It doesn't much matter what its particular value here is either - if one person is getting more resources per unit of time, then obviously that's an advantage. I definitely didn't say "you get less per time but you do not lose value". You lose value. But that doesn't make it impossible to compete.

The point I was trying to make is that it isn't a particularly large advantage. There isn't some elastic supply of Alchemists that, combined with the bonus, results in pricing out every non-Alchemist. The economy of Synthesis is not "entirely tied to Alchemist". The initial OP was a pretty melodramatic reaction to what is actually a pretty small difference. We'll see and maybe I'm somehow wrong, but I highly doubt the prices of Synthesis cures are going to go up much, if at all - and you'd expect them to go up if in fact non-Alchemists were unable to compete and the market was "economically still entirely tied to Alchemist".

It's bizarre to phrase it as an inability to compete in resources-per-hour. You can still bring your product to the market. You can still turn a very respectable profit. You just make slightly less. You aren't getting priced out by the Alchemists who have lower production costs. You just have to put in more time per cure produced, which means your margins are slightly worse. That's not the same thing as being unable to compete. The margins aren't being reduced to zero by that small buff. The margins aren't actually reduced very much at all. Extracting two more primes at a time isn't the difference between Synthesis being a good gold return on your time and Synthesis being a poor gold return on your time. (And it's also pretty bizarre to phrase it as a restriction on the number of primes everyone else can extract.)

I'm not sure what's confusing about it being thematic either. Synthesis has a pretty strong thematic tie to Alchemist, just like nearly all of the other tradeskills. It wasn't just a coincidence that they used to be part of classes. It's not so outlandish that an Alchemist would be better at extracting the primes that form a significant part of their class skills or that a serpent would be slightly better at preparing the venoms that he or she studies, uses, and even naturally produces. Mechanically-speaking, the fact that these tradeskills and classes line up is treated as just a coincidence. A small bonus helps to alleviate that, very slightly incentivises tradeskill-class combinations that make more sense (not enough to limit people to those combinations, but enough to maybe make them slightly more popular than the alternatives), and shouldn't really upset anyone unless these markets suddenly become hyper-competitive with razor-thin margins.
  • Makes sense on the theme thing. Just one of those things that people who were there understand, I suppose!

My point was, and maybe I'm misreading, but there seems to be an argument when you two are agreeing for the most part!

Either way, looks like it was fixed, so point is moot now. Stuff here is super cheap anyways, I don't understand how anyone turns a profit harvesting or extracting. I tried harvesting and I can make way more hunting at level 80 than selling stuff at the prices I see it go for.
  • What's the % on 2 more primes at a time... Is it 2%? 5? 20? More??

• edited January 2016
    50% if you have no other buffs like trait and gloves.
    Or 100% depending which direction you look at it from.
  • Tael I think the point it was trying to make with the whole "being unable to compete" has to do with the time spent versus the gold earned, but specifically in the area of where that time could be better spent making gold. For instance if this is bugged and an Alchemist extracts 4 primes while a non-Alchemist extracts 2 then the Alchemist is making twice as much. If the Alchemist can make 50k an hour bashing and 70k an hour extracting, then extracting makes sense if he is only focusing on profit, and he can lower his prices all the way down to the point where he is only making 50k an hour before he starts "losing" money extracting. 

The non-Alchemist can't go anywhere near as low in price before it starts making more sense for them to bash or fish for their gold. 

You "lose" gold when you could have made more gold doing something else with an equal amount of overhead and time. Basic econ 
  • Grandue said:
    If the Alchemist can make 50k an hour bashing and 70k an hour extracting, then extracting makes sense if he is only focusing on profit, and he can lower his prices all the way down to the point where he is only making 50k an hour before he starts "losing" money extracting. 

The non-Alchemist can't go anywhere near as low in price before it starts making more sense for them to bash or fish for their gold. 

You "lose" gold when you could have made more gold doing something else with an equal amount of overhead and time. Basic econ 
    This argument doesn't work very well because selling minerals, bonus for alchemists or not, will always get you less gold per time than almost any other gold-producing activity. If you consider opportunity cost (the ability to do something else and get more profit in the same time), everyone synthesises at a loss, alchemists would just get less of a loss.
  • Sena said:
    Grandue said:
    If the Alchemist can make 50k an hour bashing and 70k an hour extracting, then extracting makes sense if he is only focusing on profit, and he can lower his prices all the way down to the point where he is only making 50k an hour before he starts "losing" money extracting. 

This argument doesn't work very well because selling minerals, bonus for alchemists or not, will always get you less gold per time than almost any other gold-producing activity. If you consider opportunity cost (the ability to do something else and get more profit in the same time), everyone synthesises at a loss, alchemists would just get less of a loss.
    It works in an economy like Achaea where not everyone is equally proficient at earning gold through every means possible.  Some may bash up 100k/hr while others are lucky to get 30k. Some people may be super fishers and bring in twice as much as someone who never could really figure out the most efficient way to fish. Extracting is not the most profitable trade by any means, but it may be the most profitable for some. 
  • edited January 2016
    Grandue said:
    Tael I think the point it was trying to make with the whole "being unable to compete" has to do with the time spent versus the gold earned, but specifically in the area of where that time could be better spent making gold. For instance if this is bugged and an Alchemist extracts 4 primes while a non-Alchemist extracts 2 then the Alchemist is making twice as much. If the Alchemist can make 50k an hour bashing and 70k an hour extracting, then extracting makes sense if he is only focusing on profit, and he can lower his prices all the way down to the point where he is only making 50k an hour before he starts "losing" money extracting. 

Even beyond the very good point Sena makes about the opportunity cost of tradeskills, if the opportunity cost were the problem, this change wouldn't solve the problem at all. If it wasn't economical to produce minerals as a non-Alchemist before, it isn't economical for anyone to produce them now that everyone extracts 2 instead of 4.

There's only one scenario in which that's not the case and that's the one where the market price of minerals actually reflected the difference, leading to Alchemists dominating the market by being able to undercut everyone else'se prices. We'll be able to see if that was the case by looking at whether mineral prices change significantly, but I really, really doubt it. It's pretty unlikely that many people were choosing Alchemist just for that bonus and reflecting it in their pricing. Prices are so ridiculously low already that it's hard to imagine anyone going for that - plenty of people already value their time very, very, very little and there's just not much actual incentive to dominate the market that way: there's already a lot of demand for cures if you want to sell them and the limiting factor in ability to sell has more to do with things like finding a shop to stock or advertising than undercutting competitors.

Essentially, what you're talking about is too basic econ. You're not considering that there's a huge amount of inelasticity here. What you're talking about only affects the price a non-Alchemist can charge for goods if the supply of the Alchemists' goods (and the supply of Alchemists themselves) is elastic enough to supply the entirety of the demand and everyone has equal access to the market. And that's assuming that you value your own time the same or less than they value theirs - which is often not the case because a lot of people who participate in tradeskills don't value their time much at all or even assign a negative loss to time spent dealing with tradeskills (people who participate in tradeskills not for the gold involved, but because they enjoy that aspect of the game).

You're also looking only at extracting. Primes are not the main output of Synthesis. The point of Synthesis and by far the largest market for its products is in minerals, not primes. Producing minerals is a many-step process. Producing liquids is even more steps. Extraction is only one of those steps. Alchemists weren't even close to 100% more productive than non-Alchemists.

And since all of those things require balance, you could just as easily say that Quick-Witted classes are unfairly disadvantaged. That's 10% slower on every step.

Basically, it wasn't a big deal. It isn't too terrible a loss either for the same reason. And, for the same reason, it would have been fine if it remained. This thread started from a pretty melodramatic premise and it was sort of the equivalent of complaining about seeing someone else with a shinier toy and insisting it get taken away. Or at least that's how it turned out - I guess maybe the hope was for everyone to get the 4-extraction, which would explain the way it was phrased as a restriction on every other class rather than a bonus for Alchemist.
  • edited January 2016
    Grandue said:
    It works in an economy like Achaea where not everyone is equally proficient at earning gold through every means possible.  Some may bash up 100k/hr while others are lucky to get 30k. Some people may be super fishers and bring in twice as much as someone who never could really figure out the most efficient way to fish. Extracting is not the most profitable trade by any means, but it may be the most profitable for some. 
    It's the most profitable if the only alternatives you know of are ratting and butterflies (and even hardcore ratting isn't that far behind producing minerals, if you don't have gloves of extraction), the gold per hour is on the level of 5-10k. I don't know the exact numbers because I'm not sure if there have been any further changes since the tradeskill split and I'm not up to date on mineral prices, but right before the split (and without gloves), based on potash prices, you could only expect about 4k per hour (inferior to ratting in the sewers, river fishing at trans survival, low-level gold quests, and level 80+ bashing).

Edit:
    Tael said:
    And since all of those things require balance, you could just as easily say that Quick-Witted classes are unfairly disadvantaged. That's 10% slower on every step.
    Nimble doesn't affect extraction/synthesis/etc. balance (or didn't when alchemists had the abilities, at least).
  • Sena said:
    Grandue said:
    It's the most profitable if the only alternatives you know of are ratting and butterflies (and even hardcore ratting isn't that far behind producing minerals, if you don't have gloves of extraction), the gold per hour is on the level of 5-10k. I don't know the exact numbers because I'm not sure if there have been any further changes since the tradeskill split and I'm not up to date on mineral prices, but right before the split (and without gloves), based on potash prices, you could only expect about 4k per hour (inferior to ratting in the sewers, river fishing at trans survival, low-level gold quests, and level 80+ bashing).
    You're incorrect about the hourly profit of synthesis. Even if you only sold the primes you would only have to hit a little over 50 rooms (averaging 4 primes per extract) before you make 4K in profit. Even if it took you 10 seconds per room you're looking at less than 10 minutes. I would estimate prime sales alone to be somewhere around 30-40k per hour of those with the trait and gloves and planned routes so there is no downtime between extracting. And last I checked actually transmuting those primes into herbs was more profitable than just selling the primes, but it has been a couple months since I did that math. 
  • To be fair, Sena did point out her calculations were no gloves. Gloves give more extracted and half balance, so your average coming up 3-4x hers makes sense. This is especially true considering it seems the consensus on this post is 2 extracted per time is what people are getting without gloves.
  • edited January 2016
    Grandue said:
    You're incorrect about the hourly profit of synthesis. Even if you only sold the primes you would only have to hit a little over 50 rooms (averaging 4 primes per extract) before you make 4K in profit. Even if it took you 10 seconds per room you're looking at less than 10 minutes. I would estimate prime sales alone to be somewhere around 30-40k per hour of those with the trait and gloves and planned routes so there is no downtime between extracting. And last I checked actually transmuting those primes into herbs was more profitable than just selling the primes, but it has been a couple months since I did that math. 
    Before the tradeskill split*, the total average time per mineral (including the time spent extracting primes and converting primes to metals) was ~5.2s for all minerals except cinnabar, malachite, realgar, and quicksilver. I could buy minerals at 5 gold each. 5 gold per 5.2s is about 3500 gold per hour. That doesn't even include any of the extra time added by moving between rooms/areas while extracting or possibly lag (if you don't use queuing for extracting/synthesising/transmutating).

Selling primes is far more profitable. Even selling primes at 2 gold each gets you around 8k per hour (averaging around 4 primes per extraction without gloves). Back then the demand for primes was pretty low and they sold for 3-4 gold each last time I checked, so it still wasn't as good as questing or high level bashing, but now with gloves it should be entirely viable (though I'm not sure what the demand is like). I didn't really consider selling primes in my last post, so your argument could apply there, just not so much for minerals.

*The balance times and ingredients shown in the AB files are the same as before, are the yields for synthesis (2 metals) and transmutation (5 minerals) also the same? I also averaged a little under 4 primes per extract with the trait back then.

• Assuming 6 gold per potash, averaging 4 prime per extraction assuming nimble (3.15 second extract, 2.475 second synthesise, 3.15 second transmutation). Also assuming perfect room transition here

Each transmute of 5 potash requires 2 primes, which takes 1.5075 seconds of extraction. Each transmute also requires half of two synthesise, so we'll just call it one synthesise per transmutation (2.475) and finally the transmute balance (3.15).

There are 3600 seconds per hour, so the maximum amount of transmutes we can get per hour including extraction and synthesise time is given by:

3600 = 1.5075x + 2.475x + 3.15x

3600 = 7.1325x

x = 504.73ish

You get 5 potash per transmute and they each go for 6 gold per so multiplying we get the total gold per hour as 15142.

Now that we know the total time per transmute, we can generalize to get a gold/time function:

F(x) = 2325x where x is the price of each mineral.

For instance, assuming you wanted to make as much gold synthesising as bashing Annwyn/Underworld for an hour (Assumed to be 55k here) You would have to sell each mineral at 24 gold per.

Fun stuff.

• edited January 2016
    Does nimble apply to synthesis? It didn't before, and it doesn't seem to apply to any tradeskills at all (or fishing) that I've seen, presumably so certain classes don't get an advantage.

Aside from the difference due to nimble, I don't see any problems with Amranu's math, so I must have made a mistake somewhere in mine (minerals should be 1.5s each, not 5.2s). I'm not sure how I made such a huge mistake though, with how many times I (and others, I know others calculated around 5 seconds per mineral before I did) repeated it and got the same numbers.

Just barely too late to fix my post, but that would have brought the 3500 gold per hour for minerals up to 12000 per hour. Still far lower than mid-level questing or high-level casual unartied bashing, but far better than ratting or river fishing.