Simple Ideas

Comments

• KayeilKayeil Washington State
    Kayeil said:
    Dairon said:
    Kayeil said:

Valkyn said:
    Qwyn said:
    Right, but doubling the capacity would still be nice.
    The capacity is absolutely massive, I'm not sure what it is, if there is a cap.
    Yeah it is massive, but can't remember the numbers myself. Nat has been working on his at least for a few months, putting a lot of the gold he earns into buying blank tarot cards and mass inscribing. I also pay him for enchantments and stuff in tarot cards at the moment since that's what he wants anyways. I can't imagine tarot decks not being enough in the way they are now. There isn't another container that even comes close to the capacity of a tarot deck.
    I think Nat was saying he put in a couple million in cards. 
    Yeah he's pretty obsessed with filling that deck up. :P 
    (The Batcave): Nat says, "So far my deck is worth (total cards value): 1,462,040 gold."
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

Hmmm. After thinking about it, the tarot skill is pretty well covered as far as artefacts and availability of things... the only thing I could think of is an artie that produces a small amount of blank cards every so often, but I feel like there are plenty of other artefacts that would be far more useful and in demand that the admin team could be spending their time on.

• I hate to spoil your fun... 

ANNOUNCE NEWS #4050                                     (02/14/2014 at 19:56)  
    From   : Tecton, the Terraformer
    To     : Everyone
    Subject: Rift changes
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    We're pleased to announce the release of an update to our RIFT system! Alongside the many behind the scenes improvements, 
    there are some new features for you all:

* INFO RIFT (IR) is now broken down into categories, and each category can be examined individually, IR HERBS will show only 
    herbs, for instance.

* Tarot card storage has been overhauled, offering a rift-like interface. You'll no longer need to carry multiple cardpacks, 
    just a single one will provide access to the entire supply.

* 5000 of each card can now be stored in the consolidated decks.

* DECKLIST has been overhauled.

* INDECK/OUTDECK (IND/OUTD) now show remaining quantities and support using ALL operator.

* INDECK/OUTDECK no longer show a third-person message.

We've got some further changes in store, so stay tuned!

Penned by My hand on the 20th of Lupar, in the year 647 AF.

[5258h | 4089m | 85%] ex (00:00:02.861) [hWsIPAXS](C) 

Your cards are tied to that, now. 
    Example: You had 1k of each card in your deck, you drop jester, you can no longer access those cards... Your deck decays, and a month later you go Occultist, you'll have those 1k cards again when you buy a new deck.

Guess he'll have to re-read that. Not spoiling my fun, though.

• JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    I don't understand the hate toward the idea of an artie deck, unless you're just trying to play devil's advocate.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • It mostly just seems incredibly pointless given how decks work now.
    Jonathin said:
    I don't understand the hate toward the idea of an artie deck, unless you're just trying to play devil's advocate.
    Did I say I hated the idea? There's still a ton of non-decay ones out there. Regular decks are dirt cheap. What is the point of the admins wasting their time creating one to sell? If you want an "artie" deck just non-decay and customise your own for 100 credits. Tarot decks have a massive capacity, I can't see the benefit of an artefact one being created. They cost 60 gold and need to be replaced every 75 real life days. I never play devil's advocate. If I post an opinion, it's because I actually feel that way. Thanks for jumping on the anti-Kayeil posting bandwagon, though. :) Appreciate you.

Antonius said:
    It mostly just seems incredibly pointless given how decks work now.
    That's pretty much the main reason, plus it only costs you 100 cr tops to create your own "artefact" deck. For the admins to bother making an artie one it'd have to have SOME kind of benefit, but tarot cards and decks are functioning quite fairly at the moment. No artefact drums for shamans, because there is no current needed benefit other than the convenience of not having to replace it when it decays, which is easily fixed by customisation. It's just not equivalent to artefact weapons that have better benefits/stats the more you pay.

• Kayeil said:
    (The Batcave): Nat says, "Currently i have 73102 cards."
    (The Batcave): Nat says, "You can fit 5k of each card in the deck before you'll have to buy a new deck."
    (The Batcave): You say, "Oh wow."
    (The Batcave): Nat says, "So far only hierophant, priestess, death, lovers, tower aren't at 5k (and wheel.. im' still tossing up if i want 5k of them)... then i'll fill up my blank cards to 5k also."
    (The Batcave): You say, "Soooo technically you can keep buying decks and have infinite cards?"
    (The Batcave): Nat says, "Pretty much. but my gold funds prevent me doing so."
    (The Batcave): Nat says, "It'll be a sad day when i max this deck out."
    (The Batcave): You say, "Yeah of course, kind of silly to keep going and going forever."

So no true max capacity, no way it can ever be too small. If 5k of each card isn't enough for you, then just keep buying more decks.
    I remember back in the day I was sitting around Ashtan with Tanris when I decided to appraise his inventory for one reason or another. He had over seven hundred decks in his inventory, minimum. Might of even have been over a thousand, but I can't remember.
    You know, that one thing at that one place, with that one person.

Yea, that one!
  • As I said, I didn't realize that decks were linked to the rift.
  • edited April 2016
    Some small things about Seafaring and the Ocean in general that I think would make it all better:

- Make Figureheads able to regen power, though at a much more reduced rate, when the ship is standing still and not just moving. Several of us mainly use our ships for fishing purposes, and so only need to go a few leagues out, thus naturally we wont be gaining much power in our figurehead for use. Would be far better than having to sail around just to fill it up some.

- Move sounding from Deckhand to general skill. It seems odd that you need the deckhand spec in order to take a sounding, but are able to deepseadive as a general ability. It just seems far more reasonable to have the ability in the general skill. (Im not sure if this is a classlead issue...).

- Add fish-mongers/sellers to some outer islands, which frankly seems logical, being that they are islands and thus would naturally have fishermen. It seems silly we have to go all the way back to mainland to get some more bait. Some locations:

* Zaphar isles
    * Zanzibaar
    * Tapoa
    * Mysia
    * Orilla (Not sure if it already has)

- The use of the spyglass is awfully limited. When I can see a ship clearly upon my map, I am unable to see them with the spyglass, even if I climb into the mast, this seems odd. Why not simply make it that when you climb into the mast, your range with the spyglass increases dramatically? Additionally, the use of a spyglass seems something all general captains though have. Another suggestion is to keep the current spyglass ability as is and make it a general skill, while added an improved version to the Watch specialization

- The Bearings ability seems much more like a general ability all captains should have, rather than only those with a certain spec. Simply move it to the general skill and then allow more to indulge in map use (not to mention make a bigger market for it).

I have one other bigger suggestion for Ship trade which I will place in a separate post.

edited April 2016
    I don't fish, so no opinion either way on those. Spyglass one is interesting. Never used the bearings skill, if it's used for what I think it is used for, I just mainly use @Czanthria's map to get around, but I know there's seafarers out there who don't use a map like that.

I love the sounding idea, though! It's only a slight convenience to have, so it wouldn't "break" anything to make it a general skill. I wish I had it for diving, and I used to, but gave it up for more important things.

Kayeil said:
    Jonathin said:
    Did I say I hated the idea? There's still a ton of non-decay ones out there. Regular decks are dirt cheap. What is the point of the admins wasting their time creating one to sell? If you want an "artie" deck just non-decay and customise your own for 100 credits. Tarot decks have a massive capacity, I can't see the benefit of an artefact one being created. They cost 60 gold and need to be replaced every 75 real life days. I never play devil's advocate. If I post an opinion, it's because I actually feel that way. Thanks for jumping on the anti-Kayeil posting bandwagon, though. :) Appreciate you.
    You need to calm the hell down and stop taking everything so personally. I made a genuine observation, so call the whaaaaambulance and f your noise. If anything, you just pushed me onto the anti-Kayeil bandwagon with that bullshit.

You know what else is dirt cheap? Quivers. Is there an artie version? Yes. You know what else is dirt cheap? Tattoos. Are there artie versions? Yes. You know what else is dirt cheap? Letters. Is there an artie for it? Yes. You know what else is dirt cheap? Cookies. Is there an artie for it? Yes. You know what else is dirt cheap? Backpacks. Are there artie versions? Yes.

I can go at this all day, too. None of your arguments are valid reasons to why we shouldn't have an artie deck that increases maximum capacity (even if it is absurdly high now) or creates 5 blank cards per hour or something due to the fact that all of these other seemingly pointless objects exist. I could buy a regular pack, non-decay and make it resetting, yet artefact packs still exist- shit you can still get the dragonskin pack if you search and and/or are lucky. All of these things took admin time to make and support over time.

So please, give me 1 good reason that isn't made invalid by existing arties or decisions in the past and I might willingly step back off of the first rung of the ladder of dislike toward you, @Kayeil.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
    Jonathin said:
    Kayeil said:
    Jonathin said:
    You need to calm the hell down and stop taking everything so personally. I made a genuine observation, so call the whaaaaambulance and f your noise. If anything, you just pushed me onto the anti-Kayeil bandwagon with that bullshit.

You know what else is dirt cheap? Quivers. Is there an artie version? Yes. You know what else is dirt cheap? Tattoos. Are there artie versions? Yes. You know what else is dirt cheap? Letters. Is there an artie for it? Yes. You know what else is dirt cheap? Cookies. Is there an artie for it? Yes. You know what else is dirt cheap? Backpacks. Are there artie versions? Yes.

I can go at this all day, too. None of your arguments are valid reasons to why we shouldn't have an artie deck that increases maximum capacity (even if it is absurdly high now) or creates 5 blank cards per hour or something due to the fact that all of these other seemingly pointless objects exist. I could buy a regular pack, non-decay and make it resetting, yet artefact packs still exist- shit you can still get the dragonskin pack if you search and and/or are lucky. All of these things took admin time to make and support over time.

So please, give me 1 good reason that isn't made invalid by existing arties or decisions in the past and I might willingly step back off of the first rung of the ladder of dislike toward you, @Kayeil.
    Sure, sure. Just like how I keep getting the same accusation almost consistently lately that I'm  just posting to post, instead of HEY, maybe I actually feel that way. I don't tend to do things around here that I consider a waste of time, hence my character having such a high ranking.

It's a letter PRODUCING artie. Not a deck PRODUCING artie. I already talked with Nat and Seragorn, both tarot users, and there just seems to be little interest outside of Nat for a card producing artie. An artefact deck is easy to make on your own, with your OWN custom, personal flavour if that's what you want for a fairly cheap price of 50-150 credits. Nothing that you listed is anywhere near as useful as an artie pack, which also has a much larger capacity. The cookie one is retired. The artie quiver has more of a function than just having something permanent to store things in.

I don't see you proposing an artie deck that has more function than just a non-decay/resetting packaged together that you can easily set up on you own in less than 60 seconds. Also consider most of those things you mentioned are OLD items that either can't be gotten anymore, or have been around for a long time from a time when there were more admins who had time to focus on these things. We don't get St. Patrick's stuff anymore, April Fool's, etc because they are prioritizing their time on more important things. As for the artie pack, sure you can non-decay/reset it if you like, but it doesn't have the same benefits as the extra capacity or a lid. Deck capacity is perfectly fine where it's at. The only thing they don't have is a card producing artie which wouldn't bring in THAT much revenue, so why waste their time?

I also don't care if you or anyone else here dislikes me. I'm not here to impress or make the lot of you happy when you don't even know me. If you don't bother taking a moment to get to know me and either base your opinion on posts that you may or may not agree with, or because someone else told you a "rumour" then I can't be bothered to even try. There are a lot of people here I might disagree with from time to time who may post in ways I find distasteful, and it doesn't mean I dislike or hate them just based on that alone. You also don't see me personally attacking someone or telling them I don't like them unless they've started some bullshit accusation and then start telling me all the things they don't like about me (even though they have ZERO interaction on any level with me).

I mean, if you think me saying the admins probably have better use of their time on altering things like seafaring, fixing the classes to be more in line with each other, creating new events for everyone to enjoy, and whatever else is high priority on their list because for some reason you take offense that I think an artefact deck is extremely low priority, well that's your issue dude. You can IDEA it if you want it so bad, but wait... are you even occultist or jester? The person who originally came up with the idea even admitted they had no idea how it even worked or the type of capacity it had, so I don't know what your damn problem is other than you had a hair up your ass and wanted to start an argument. Good day to you!

• If you want an artefact deck that produces blank cards, sure (though I think that's been denied in the past). An artefact deck that simply increases an (already very large) capacity just doesn't seem worth buying, though.

Artefact tattoos have unlimited charges, which infinitely increases something that's otherwise relatively limited. I'm not sure many people would bother buying artefact tattoos if it simply doubled the charges (I know I wouldn't, and I have more artefacts than almost everybody).

Artefact quivers no longer need to exist, to be honest. The default capacity is now a reasonable amount and the other benefits of the artefact quivers disappeared when they got the same treatment as tarot decks. Only reason to buy one, from my perspective, is that it's the same price as making a regular quiver non-decay and resetting.

Artefact packs are only worth it because they're priced the same as non-decay + resetting, so you get the increase on (a relatively small, depending on how much stuff you store in a pack) capacity for free. I imagine there are plenty of people who actually do benefit from the capacity increase, though. Dragonskin packs, in particular, offer functionality that isn't available on any other pack (as far as I know).

The cookie jar creates items so I'm going to ignore that one.

I'm not convinced that any Tarot user needs more than 5,000 of every type of card, though. The artefact would have to be priced at 100 credits to be worth buying since at that point you get the (unneeded for 99-100% of people) benefit for free. There's been no argument that you need an artefact tarot deck that increases capacity (which was the initial suggestion), so "It would be a waste of development resources" seems like a reasonable argument against implementing that specific idea.
    edited April 2016
    Kayeil said:

If you don't bother taking a moment to get to know me and either base your opinion on posts that you may or may not agree with, or because someone else told you a "rumour" then I can't be bothered to even try.

First of all, I was completely ambivalent toward you until your stupid post. Stop playing the god damned victim every time someone clicks the 'quote' button ffs.
    Jonathin said:
    Kayeil said:

If you don't bother taking a moment to get to know me and either base your opinion on posts that you may or may not agree with, or because someone else told you a "rumour" then I can't be bothered to even try.

First of all, I was completely ambivalent toward you until your stupid post. Stop playing the god damned victim every time someone clicks the 'quote' button ffs.
    I don't, but if you're going to follow the  "oh you're just playing devil's advocate" trend, you're late to that bandwagon, and I've already expressed multiple times I don't disagree with something just to disagree.  Funny how you have nothing to refute or even a solid thing to idea that would be worth admin time. I don't see you telling anyone else who echoes a similar opinion that they're just disagreeing to disagree, but of course you won't admit to that. Sorry not sorry that you got offended that I explained to someone how tarot and decks work, and spoke to friends who actually use the skill to see if there was anything useful regarding those two things that doesn't exist yet... answer was pretty much no!

dog what omg scared confused

• KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm

Seriously, let it go

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
    Klendathu said:

Seriously, let it go
    HOW when you just got that stupid song stuck in my head now?  :'(

• edited April 2016
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

Sarathai said:
     :s 

• Hi, can we once again please stop derailing a thread for no reason? Thanks!

Cooper said:
    Hi, can we once again please stop derailing a thread for no reason? Thanks!
    I was talking about decks, if you don't like what you're reading, skip it!

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Speaking as someone 100% outside of the situation with absolutely no horses in the race nor any stake in either side of the situation (you both are fairly much strangers to me):

Mosr did honestly seem like he was just making a neutral comment. "Playing devil's advocate" isn't a negative term, I know plenty of people who do so simply to further delve into/discuss ideas, so even if you were (and neither he nor I are claiming you were), it's not meant as an insult. To me at least, he seemed genuinely bemused.

With that said, I'll let y'all get back to the discussion at hand.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Cooper said:
    Hi, can we once again please stop derailing a thread for no reason? Thanks!
    A simple idea that I think we can all get behind.
         He is a coward who has to bring two friends as backup to jump people hunting.

• Marks that are enemied to an Order shouldn't be able to grab contracts put out by that Order :/
  • Really wish there was still an 'agree' pin
  • Why would you get regen power for a figurehead for sitting? I don't make any calls of course, but that seems like a lazy and ridiculous request

• AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    Anedhel said:
    Marks that are enemied to an Order shouldn't be able to grab contracts put out by that Order :/
    I actually disagree with this. I like the concept that Marks, regardless of who they are, are simply the vehicle by which a target is eliminated. It highlights the fact that the Marks exist outside the web of faction loyalties, and don't play politics. If the issue is that an enemied Mark is snatching up a contract on one of their friends and letting it expire intentionally, that's kinda lame, but they are sacrificing their Mark stature to do that. It's not "free" for them.
    Saeva said:
    Why would you get regen power for a figurehead for sitting? I don't make any calls of course, but that seems like a lazy and ridiculous request
    TBF, figurehead power is pretty obnoxious to get back once it gets low. Especially with consistent use of figurehead power fighting certain monsters or with certain ships, it means I get to do something I like (monster hunting) for a few hours, but then I have to do something I don't like (sailing around aimlessly to recharge) for many -more- hours so that I can do what I like again. Like, I can hunt Tapoa in a Windcutter, that's possible, but you can only kill 1 or 2 monsters before your figurehead's dead, and now you get to sail around for XYZ hours before you can do something exciting again. The balance currently tips toward the tedious rather than the enjoyable.

Given that we use figurehead power much more than the initial design foresaw, now that we have seamonsters, I would like it if they regenerated to 1/3 or 1/2 power on their own,  or if we could go and re-consecrate them at the altar for that much, just so we could quickly get a minimum reserve so we could do the things we enjoy when we'd like to enjoy them.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • Aerek said:
    Anedhel said:
    Marks that are enemied to an Order shouldn't be able to grab contracts put out by that Order :/
    I actually disagree with this. I like the concept that Marks, regardless of who they are, are simply the vehicle by which a target is eliminated. It highlights the fact that the Marks exist outside the web of faction loyalties, and don't play politics. If the issue is that an enemied Mark is snatching up a contract on one of their friends and letting it expire intentionally, that's kinda lame, but they are sacrificing their Mark stature to do that. It's not "free" for them.
    Saeva said:
    Why would you get regen power for a figurehead for sitting? I don't make any calls of course, but that seems like a lazy and ridiculous request
    TBF, figurehead power is pretty obnoxious to get back once it gets low. Especially with consistent use of figurehead power fighting certain monsters or with certain ships, it means I get to do something I like (monster hunting) for a few hours, but then I have to do something I don't like (sailing around aimlessly to recharge) for many -more- hours so that I can do what I like again. Like, I can hunt Tapoa in a Windcutter, that's possible, but you can only kill 1 or 2 monsters before your figurehead's dead, and now you get to sail around for XYZ hours before you can do something exciting again. The balance currently tips toward the tedious rather than the enjoyable.

Given that we use figurehead power much more than the initial design foresaw, now that we have seamonsters, I would like it if they regenerated to 1/3 or 1/2 power on their own,  or if we could go and re-consecrate them at the altar for that much, just so we could quickly get a minimum reserve so we could do the things we enjoy when we'd like to enjoy them.
    Or make slaying a sea monster give your figurehead a bunch of power. Figurehead power shouldn't be a bottleneck for sea monster hunting considering the time and gold investment already spent toward slaying those monsters.