Settling Into Achaea

Hi. I have been playing IRE games for years. Achaea's birthday promotion brought me back into achaea, but I have some serious problems that need resolution. First, how do I make enough money to get the things I want to buy? Minipets, a house, a ship, these are some of the things I'd like to have. I chose gathering as a trade skill, but the farthest I got was gathering fruit, and I don't know to refine. I changed tradeskills two other times, first furnishing, then weaponsmithing. How does a novice gatherer stand out among seasoned gatherers and make a big profit? On my first gathering trip, noone was interested in my grain when I asked on market, so I ended up donating it to the ingredient basket in the house estate. As much as I love providing and donating, I need a way to make money that I enjoy. I hate hunting, and I can force myself to hunt rats for a while, but then I get burned out. Second, the video said that I could shape the world. How do I do that if I'm just getting by? And third, I need some hobbies. I love my new parchment kite, and I'd like to start a minipet collection, but of course, money builds the bridge that a minipet must cross to get a new owner. Are there any serious hobbies that make good money? Finally, their fishing system is a pet peeve of mine, because I use a screen reader and I feel like it doesn't give me the time to react. I tried making aliases for teasing the line and jerking the pole, and I even tried the queueing system, but I couldn't hook a fish to save my life. I love achaea, and I want to make my mark on the world, but if I'm struggling to survive, how can I inspire anyone? Please help, I appreciate it.

Comments

• KezKez
    edited September 2016
    Honestly, you can get the easiest gains from synthesis as a newbie. You have 2 tradeskill slots, though, so you can pick it up alongside gathering. In synthesis, you can begin extracting immediately (with no lesson investment) and sell primes to more seasoned synthesisers to earn some gold, and they will be flocking to you for them!

I'm not sure about how to help with the fishing system but there's a clan called VIP for visually-impaired players and they will likely have some good advice for you. Check CLANHELP VIP in game to find someone who can induct you.
  • YaeYae
    edited September 2016
    First of all, gathering is one of the least profitable tradeskills when starting out. What people always need is things to fund their supplies for combat and hunting. So, gathering's only when you get butchering that it gets more profitable because you butcher animals for reagents to create inks. Furnishing and weaponsmithing are really just hobby skills and won't get you much profit at all.

If you're looking for a tradeskill that works with a somewhat immediate return, I'd go for Harvesting or Synthesis. Though, Kez is right if you only have a limited amount of lessons to spend and can't get most of the skill immediately. I prefer harvesting myself since herbs are worth more than minerals most of the time. Conjuration/Augmentation is not bad either, but it requires commodities so you'd probably start by having the customer provide commodities and asking for an enchant fee.

Regardless, hunting is pretty much the main way to get gold. It will always be better than the rest. Also, fishing requires timing, usually you have to wait for two seconds before jerking or teasing the line for it to work properly. Most people use timed triggers for this and don't do much themselves besides casting and baiting. Also the more survival skill you have, the more likely you'll get fish.
    If you need me, you can find me sporadically on the Achaea Discord as Yae. 
    Do not DM on forums unless you're ok with waiting a couple months!
  • I wish someone would've warned me the first time. So synthesis requires no lesson investment? And don't those timed triggers violate the automation policy?
  • edited September 2016
    Keep in mind you're also asking how to get rich quick. Houses, ships. These things take time or everyone would have a few dozen laying around.

There are people in high positions of power that can have great effects on the world and those in it. However they weren't born into it. They planned, schemed, traded, fought, and above all else worked to reach those positions.

I'm not saying you can't achieve these things or have lasting effects right away. But have reasonable expectations too. Youth should be a struggle. If you want greatness you'll have to pursue it with diligence.
  • minibet DOWN!

• @Malaysia if you bait and cast manually, you're fine. If you can walk away and keep fishing, then you have a problem.
  • edited September 2016
    The best gold is going to be hunting, sadly. Here are some options other than just hunting, though:

As far as tradeskills go, I'd probably look at Harvesting and Synthesis. Curatives are used by everybody in both hunting and in PvP, so they're the most reliable sellers. Get Synthesis and extract primes without lesson investment, then sell to other synthesizers. If you want to do lessons into a tradeskill, drop them into Harvesting.

As for other things, if you're good at designing things and writing descriptions, you can try to get commissions for designing custom weapons and armor and clothing and such. Not actually making the items themselves, but just writing the description people will use for them. If you do good work you can make a pretty decent income doing this, especially because the high rollers who pay for descriptions tend to be good tippers. In other games I know people who had 10+ artifact descriptions done by the same person, at about 25cr each, though I don't know what the going rate is here. It can be hard to get clientele for this and you need to be good at it, but if you manage it you can make a fairly strong income with no credit investment whatsoever.

I don't know how well questing works here, but I know that learning quests can be very profitable in the other IRE games, so that might be worth looking into.

Can also look into hunting with people in a group. Most groups will split the gold, the hunting goes a lot faster, and most people are okay with new people not contributing much to the hunt. 
  • Get harvesting or synthesis (maybe remedies), and get to know some hunters and fighters. They always use up supplies like crazy.
  • edited September 2016
    For the most part, tradeskills aren't a very fast or easy way of earning gold. They require consistent effort over a long period of time (and a fair amount of gold to start with, for some of them) to get a decent income, and that income will always fall behind compared to bashing/questing. That's especially true if you can't trans your tradeskills yet, extracting/selling primes with synthesis like Kez mentioned is probably the only exception (synthesis does require lessons, but extracting primes is one of the first abilities you get, learning more is only necessary for making the primes into minerals).

Technically, the fastest and easiest way to get gold is to buy credits with real money and sell them for gold.

The best way to earn gold in-game is high-level hunting (level 90+; below 80 it's likely to cost more gold than it gives), which you said you hate so that's out.

The next best way (the best way if you're at a lower level) is questing. A lot of the good gold quests do involve some hunting (to turn the corpses in for a reward), but it's usually not pure hunting so you'll likely find it easier to stomach. Publicly sharing quest information isn't allowed, but I'll say that Actar is good for low levels (<40), above that some good places to start with (lots of gold, and quests that are fairly easy to learn) would be Ulangi+Mysia and Inbhir Ness.

Freshwater fishing doesn't give much gold, even with trans survival. It only has the advantage of taking very little effort (considering 99% of people who fish use triggers for it) and using a skill that most people will eventually trans anyways. Deepsea fishing is a little better, but not really enough to compensate for the increased risk/investment involved. The fact that it can be automated (being careful to stay within the rules) is pretty much the only reason to bother with fishing, unless you actually find it enjoyable for some reason.

If you want to take a tradeskill as a hobby, here are some brief notes on each one.
    Cooking, Tailoring, Jewellery: Require 200 credit licenses, offer miniscule profits. Only take these if you really like designing things.
    Heraldry: Not technically a tradeskill, but close enough to mention here. Requires a license, but it's only 200k gold. The profit per design tends to be much higher than the above 3 tradeskills from what I've seen (though I've never been a herald), but demand is much lower.
    Weaponsmithing, Armoursmithing: These also require a large initial investment (to buy commodities), and it will also take a lot of smithing to increase your rank enough to use the more desirable descriptors. Profits are usually small.
    Synthesis, Harvesting, Remedies: These are the primary gold-making tradeskills. If you want the ability to consistently earn a decent amount of gold with your tradeskill, these are the best choices. They'll never match questing or high-level hunting though.
    Augmentation, Conjuration, Gathering, Inkmilling, Toxicology: These are all passable ways of making gold, but the demand for them is pretty low and the competition is high. It will take quite a bit of effort and/or connections to make sales, and the lack of consistency makes them fall behind in terms of profitability.
    Furnishing: I don't know enough about this yet to really give an opinion.

Mining is another potentially profitable hobby. It takes a lot of time, effort, and initial investment, as well as some business sense, but it has the potential to eventually give very good income.

You can also be a merchant, buying and selling things for profit or running a shop. Again, requires plenty of gold to start with and can take a while to see much profit.

Hunting seamonsters is very different from hunting normal denizens, and can give decent gold. You'll need seafaring first, but it doesn't require much of a lesson investment to try it out and see if it's something you might like. You will need to find people to hunt with though.

Theft can be a very profitable hobby as well, though it doesn't look like that applies to you, being a jester (only serpents can pickpocket, so your theft options are extremely limited without a class change) and also Cyrenian (they very heavily frown on stealing). And of course it's likely to earn you a lot of enemies.
  • JurixeJurixe Where you least expect it
    Omg your name. Are you from Malaysia??
    If you like my stories, you can find them here:
    Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs

• No, it's my niece's name.
  • edited October 2016
    Malaysia said:
     As much as I love providing and donating, I need a way to make money that I enjoy. I hate hunting, and I can force myself to hunt rats for a while, but then I get burned out. 
    Send me a PM here or a message in-game, I'll show you how to code a few super easy scripts that will make bashing ten times less boring. Other than buying credits with real money and selling them for gold, bashing's the absolute best moneymaker (at level 75 I make about a credit an hour, and it'd be way more for higher levels.)

Malaysia said:
    I wish someone would've warned me the first time. So synthesis requires no lesson investment? And don't those timed triggers violate the automation policy?
    The only people that whine about triggers are the trolls that'll tell you that "you have to manual everything because it's more fun somehow". Just code whatever you want; as long as you're at the computer watching the screen, nobody who actually matters will care what you automate.
  • Malaysia said:
    No, it's my niece's name.
    I love naming children after where they were conceived. :)

• Szanthax said:
    Malaysia said:
    For some reason I just don't see myself as a 'Halifax'...

Though that would be a kinda dope name.

• Bann said:
    Szanthax said:
    Malaysia said:
    For some reason I just don't see myself as a 'Halifax'...

Though that would be a kinda dope name.
    I'd be named Jose.... So it kinda works ... Unless it's saint Jose... And then it doesn't lol

• Reisen said:
    Other than buying credits with real money and selling them for gold, bashing's the absolute best moneymaker (at level 75 I make about a credit an hour, and it'd be way more for higher levels.)
    Only at high levels. For example, you can get about a credit per hour at level 75, while someone at level 40 with minimal skills could be getting about 3 credits per hour from questing (and at least 30% of each hour would be spent waiting for things to reset, so you could be doing other things during the downtime).
  • I make a lot more money bashing than I do fishing. If you make some friends IC, Malaysia, then you can probably facilitate your own wealth generation. Go seamonster hunting with someone for a cut of the profits, etc. You can make a looooot of money killing seamonsters.

• Reisen said:
    Stuff
    The only people that whine about triggers are the trolls that'll tell you that "you have to manual everything because it's more fun somehow". Just code whatever you want; as long as you're at the computer watching the screen, nobody who actually matters will care what you automate.
    This is inaccurate. There is a line between full automation and making triggers that do *most* of the work for you. The former is frowned upon and considered illegal. The second which was already recommended to Malaysia is not. 
  • @Reisen seems to have this strange idea that there are only two options: full Skynet or pure manual (as in, drink health, kill target, no aliases or triggers whatsoever). It's not. There is a gradient, and along that spectrum there is a point that divides when scripting is acceptable, and when it is not.

Triggers and aliases are acceptable, as long as you, the player, must still make the major decisions such as moving north to try and kill that villager, or making an alias that gives this specific item to that specific mob. It becomes unacceptable when, say, you push a single button, and thirty minutes later you've bashed out the entirety of Manara and offered the corpses at the shrine of your choice (RIP shrines).
  • This is a newbie's thread, asking for help. Please feed the troll elsewhere!
  • What are the most profitable quests for a level 30?
  • Thanks a lot for the help.
  • Use the AREAS command, it'll show you the areas you can go hunting at your level, and many of them will have quests.
  • Korben said:
    Use the AREAS command, it'll show you the areas you can go hunting at your level, and many of them will have quests.
    @Malaysia - You can also do AREAS #. Like I could do AREAS 84 and it would list for me all of the areas that are potentially good hunting/questing zones for someone of my level. :) Good advice, @Korben!