"new" player questions

Hi. I'm debating coming over to Achaea from Aetolia and have some questions.

- Is there a popular/good CMUD system for sale? (please say yes)
- Is forging still the third guildskill for all knight classes?
- What's the general state of PVP in the game?
- Is it possible to be viable in PVP just by buying the 2k credit starter package?

Comments

• I'll answer one of those. Forging is still the third class skill of the three knight classes -for now-. There are plans to separate tradeskills from classes in the future which will mean the three knight classes get a new skill.

Whether that will be a unique new skill each or another shared one isn't known, but I'd lean towards the latter.
  • Sarapis said:
    @Ducan The SVO system that @Vadimuses sells is, hands-down, the most sophisticated system anyone in the Iron Realms orbit sells/provides/builds. Having said that, we're actively working to provide some of those advantages server-side with our new curing system. HELP CURINGSYSTEM

Isn't that for Mudlet, though? I don't know how to do anything in mudlet at all, only z/cmud
  • Yes SVO is for mudlet, however there is a clan in game that has a lot of people in it that are more than willing to help you out with scripting things that you might want to do. I use SVO, and the options and documentation that comes with it are a huge help to me, because @Vadimuses explains everything there and gives you good examples of how to do things with the system. The server-side curing system that @Sarapis spoke about is also really nice, @Vadimuses has even made a feature in SVO that allows you to cut off the client-side curing, and only the curing, and use the server-side curing. This allows for faster curing even when lagging, or if you disconnect from the game. If you have any questions about scripting in Mudlet, don't hesitate to ask me in game, I'm no where near being a pro at it, but I do know a bit and can at the very least help you get basic things set up, just send me a message or a tells and I will reply as soon as I am able to.

- 2014/05/13 03:37:22 - Jhui dies gasping for breath, asphyxiated by the power of Hanley Silverstorm's kai.

SerpentKai Go!

• You could probably become pvp-viable with the 2k lessons + getting a character to level 70 or so, depending upon your class. Some classes need more investment than others. Rest will rely on skill and practice!
    Serpents being one of them from what I've been able to gather since I am one, though from what I've been told with the changes to the Doublestab, Backstab, and a few other changes made to Serpent combat, it is possible to use a forged dirk to lock someone as long as you have over 15 dex and a dirk with high speed. How truth this is, I don't know since I currently only have 12 dex and a dirk that has 178 speed on it. Pretty sure someone has tested these theorys though to find out if its true or not!

- 2014/05/13 03:37:22 - Jhui dies gasping for breath, asphyxiated by the power of Hanley Silverstorm's kai.

SerpentKai Go!

• Hanley said:

You could probably become pvp-viable with the 2k lessons + getting a character to level 70 or so, depending upon your class. Some classes need more investment than others. Rest will rely on skill and practice!
    Serpents being one of them from what I've been able to gather since I am one, though from what I've been told with the changes to the Doublestab, Backstab, and a few other changes made to Serpent combat, it is possible to use a forged dirk to lock someone as long as you have over 15 dex and a dirk with high speed. How truth this is, I don't know since I currently only have 12 dex and a dirk that has 178 speed on it. Pretty sure someone has tested these theorys though to find out if its true or not!
    just for clarification, this isn't true - it was a mistake in the original serpent class leads post. The speed stat on dirks doesn't change doublestab speed, so all non-artie dirks are equal.

as to the original post, Melodie said everything I could far more eloquently already

• @Nakari Thanks! I wasn't entirely sure if it was or not, I personally thought it was a mistake but I still went off what was said on the serpent class leads post since it seemed like the best bet I had.

SerpentKai Go!

• Alternatively you can get the Omnipave system for free and you have complete access to the system, so you can look through every single script/trigger/alias that went into making the system - it might help you pick up Mudlet's Lua more quickly. The creator (Carmain) used it to win the combat rankings/defeat top-tier fighters etcetera, so that speaks for itself in terms of its performance should PvP interest you. 

Svo costs 60cr, but provides more easily-customisable-utility (almost everything you would want to change can be changed from the command line, so you won't necessarily change much of the system itself), and it also has a clan and an active creator (Vadimuses) that you can communicate with for troubleshooting, ideas, and so on. 

I wouldn't really suggest one over the other, they both have their advantages and disadvantages.

You can easily PK with the 2k lessons sale, especially in groups, but you will also need to hunt to a fairly high level. Some classes require less investment than others (Shaman, Sylvan, Runewarden, Paladin, Infernal, Magi, Monk), but you will want to hunt to level 80 before you really begin participating in combat at a mid-to-high level, as it will be necessary to transcend two of your three class skills - the third one, you'll have to do that on your own. So it isn't really "enough" just to buy the 2,000 lessons, nothing else, while only being level 70 or so. You really need to put in a lot more work than that, but coming from another IRE game, I'm sure you're aware of the investment needed.
  • Nakari said:
    Hanley said:

You could probably become pvp-viable with the 2k lessons + getting a character to level 70 or so, depending upon your class. Some classes need more investment than others. Rest will rely on skill and practice!
    just for clarification, this isn't true - it was a mistake in the original serpent class leads post. The speed stat on dirks doesn't change doublestab speed, so all non-artie dirks are equal.

as to the original post, Melodie said everything I could far more eloquently already
    The bolded part is still fine, though - you can lock people just fine with a forged dirk. It's just the bit about dirk speed that's irrelevant. Not sure if 15 dex is really necessary or just nice.
  • RipRip
    edited April 2014
    Server-side aliases now support multiple commands for any of you that are not to keen on Lua/Mudlet just yet.  Check out HELP ALIASES.  Also, you will find many of us are happy to help explain code/mudlet as seen above.

The mapping system is UNREAL in mudlet, and you don't need SVO out of the gate.  (Don't even get me started on the...back in my day...graph paper was used...)  ((...and how spam walking through Achaea was frowned upon.))  Welcome to the land @Ducan!

Edit: Just don't ask...

• Eld said:
    Nakari said:
    Hanley said:

The bolded part is still fine, though - you can lock people just fine with a forged dirk. It's just the bit about dirk speed that's irrelevant. Not sure if 15 dex is really necessary or just nice.
    There isn't one definite, clear line between "able to lock" and "unable to lock" when it comes to speed. Even without any dex bonus it definitely is possible to lock people without an artefact dirk - it's just less reliable and may require more patience. With a faster doublestab speed you simply have more leeway for little errors and being hindered now and then. Primarily, slower speed requires more precision in keeping track of an opponent's aura of rebounding (or having a way to eliminate rebounding as a factor in the first place).
  • Can anyone help me with mudlet?

For now I'm just wondering how to do two or three things.

I want to know how to make an alias to set a target variable, and then an alias to attack a target.

In CMud this would be something like:
    #alias {tar} {tar=%1;#echo | @tar | is the target!}
    #alias {atk} {attack @tar}

Also, how would you change the color of @tar?
  • You'd be surprised at what you can find googling "mudlet targeting alias" and so forth. It's how I set up mine - and like you, I was a cmud convert!

"Gilgamesh, where are you hurrying to? You will never find that [everlasting] life for which you are looking. When the gods created man they allotted to him death, but life they retained in their own keeping. As for you, Gilgamesh, fill your belly with good things; day and night, night and day, dance and be merry, feast and rejoice. Let your clothes be fresh, bathe yourself in water, cherish the little child that holds your hand, and make your wife happy in your embrace; for this too is the lot of man." 

• edited April 2014
    First you would click aliases. Then you (should) make a folder and name it something neat and original, like, "aliases". Then click the folder, and click 'add item'. You're going to be highlighting something - New Alias.

In the alias name box, put Target
    In the pattern box, put ^t (.*)$

(random info: in this syntax, ^ means nothing before, and $ means nothing after. (.*) means anything. So you can type t whatever and be fine!

In the big white box, put

target = matches[2]

target = target:lower():title()

cecho("<white:red>Target is now "..target)

(random info, the lower/title thing lets you type t tesha and have it be set as Tesha. This is important later on for when you want to trigger things off of your target variable without having to type t Tesha)

(random info part 2: the cecho("<white:red>stuff") means colored echo white on red stuff.)

Then you're done with that alias.

Make a new one with add item.

In the name box, put attack.

In the pattern box, put ^atk$

In the big white box, put

send("attack "..target)

(random info: "..target.." is how mudlet uses variables for the most part, but you can use "..target), too. In this case, if you wanted to be super proper, you would do send("attack "..target.."")

Welcome to Achaea. :) If you have any other questions, just let us know - I would be happy to help you if you caught me in-game, too.

i'm a rebel

• This is what I have:

Alias Name : Targetting
    Pattern : ^t (.+)$

Big Box:

target = matches[2]

cecho("\nTarget is: " .. target .. ".\n")

Alias Name : Hunting

Pattern : ^bash$

Big Box : 

send("sdk " ..target)

send("ucp " ..target)

send("ucp " ..target)

• thanks a bunch, folks.
  • TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    can also use a keybind instead of an alias for the actual attack
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• @Tesha to the rescue!

SerpentKai Go!

• KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    edited April 2014
    Datrius said:
    This is what I have:

Alias Name : Hunting

Pattern : ^bash$

Big Box : 

send("sdk " ..target)

send("ucp " ..target)

send("ucp " ..target)

See me after class...

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • Hey now, you shush.
  • Also, @Ducan, there's a Mudlet clan in the game.  Join it!  Most of those folks are super duper helpful.

Also look towards the mudlet questions and answers thread on the forums!
    [2:41:24 AM] Kenway: I bet you smell like evergreen trees and you could wrestle boreal mammals but they'd rather just cuddle you