Too Big for your Boots?

edited February 2013 in North of Thera
Other than Dragon, what choice would you like to see extended to players at level 100?
Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
I take my hat off to you.

Comments

• So, just idling at work, so the usual disclaimer ("this isn't an entirely dead-serious post, it's pie-in-the-sky") applies.

I noticed a lot of people (myself included, and I'm level 83) got all excited when Dragons stopped happening for a while. There was tons of speculation about what might be replacing Dragons. I wonder what folks would have enjoyed seeing happen at the top end?  Because not everyone gets to name a level each time they ding ;)

Feel free to vote, or suggest something entirely different. Again, not a serious thread so don't start squabbling about what's possible and what isn't.
  • Skillset would be interesting. I tossed up between that and race, because I love my class, and wouldn't want to switch.

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

• VayneVayne Rhode Island
    That is what dragon was originally, a prestige race. It was terrifying; Dragon Serpents backstabbing from the shadows and Dragonmonks with their claws of fury.
  • Vayne said:
    That is what dragon was originally, a prestige race. It was terrifying; Dragon Serpents backstabbing from the shadows and Dragonmonks with their claws of fury.
    Wow... totally did NOT know this!!!  If Dragon were still like that I'd sure as heck start bashing again.  What was it, OP?
  • It was OP, yes.
    Cooper said:
    Multiclassing would be sweet.
    This.
  • edited February 2013

Dwarves get their own mine to manage. It would be a little 1-2 room place off in the wilderness somewhere, you couldn't explore the mine itself as a full area (if dragons can PTV and hang out in the Gare, something similar here seems reasonable). As lord of the mine, you'd get to name it, and you'd have to do stuff like supervise new hires, pay wages, direct operations (do they go deep or shallow, do they focus on coal, iron, precious metals, or gems, how much do they spend on reinforcements, how long are their shifts, do they use expensive Baarian canaries or nothing, oh shit you went too deep and struck magma), invest in security (hire guards to ward off vagabonds, mages to deal with wandering genocidal adventurers, and assassins to scupper the efforts of rival mines), etc. If managed poorly, you'd have to pay wages out of your own pocket. The miners may even revolt. If managed well, the mine would prosper, turning a profit which would go to you. If it became super prosperous, maybe a boom town would be erected nearby.

So... porting Dwarf Fortress into Achaea?  This sounds like a good thing.  Both are text- (well, ASCII-) based: what could go wrong? (And it could make certain areas of the wilderness a lot more fun to visit!)

Edit: Why do quotes hate me?
  • Multiclass at level 101 would be awesome.
  • I picked prestige race because I want to be a triton, but barring that (which I see as unlikely), multiclass all the way.
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    I wanna be half bat half man

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Remort would be pretty awesome... would give me a reason to bash to Dragon again.

Thanks for suggesting it @Sylvance.
  • @Mishgul will be the herovillian we all need, not the herovillian we want. (Did I screw that up? ... I may have...)
    When Canada rules the world,
    things will be... nii~ice.
  • Sylvance said:
    Vayne said:
    Wow... totally did NOT know this!!!  If Dragon were still like that I'd sure as heck start bashing again.  What was it, OP?
    You know how people are complaining about artied kai chokes and AXKs and stormhammers?

Imagine having a race that had 18 str/int to begin with, before adding on arties and runes. Getting choked for 50%+ of your health was not unheard of.
  • Web/axe cheese
  • edited February 2013
    Darklyre said:
    Sylvance said:
    Vayne said:
    You know how people are complaining about artied kai chokes and AXKs and stormhammers?

Imagine having a race that had 18 str/int to begin with, before adding on arties and runes. Getting choked for 50%+ of your health was not unheard of.
    Except grook back then was 1 int lower and fast EQ. IMO the worst was dragon occie spamming dcurse.
  • edited February 2013
    The main advantage of Dragon Monk was that you didn't have to choose between the two. Grook had marginally less intelligence and the faster equilibrium regain, so choke and crush were better, but Tekura was absolutely dire; they also had some weaknesses to damage types, pretty low constitution, and (I think) slightly lower than average dexterity. Troll had 15 strength (the highest for the selectable races, compared to 18 for Dragon) and a balance recovery penalty.

Dragon was the best damage you could get from Tekura, the second best damage you could get from telepathy and kaido, and by far the best survivability (ridiculous resistances, huge health and mana pools). It was all the positives of the best pre-trait races with none of the downsides.
  • multiclassing, if not that then prestige skillset

• JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    edited February 2013
    I don't know what any of those choices mean, so I just chose one at random. (I don't play MMOs or whatever that crap is from, except Achaea.)

I'd like it if dragons remained, but I wish that factions played a bigger role in their skills, appearance, and such. There is a bit of diversity via colour, but the lack of diversity otherwise is a huge deterrent for me. Factional diversity like Aetolia's system where you've got Azudim (unlife), Ildreth (self), and Yeleni (life) would be, what I believe to be, a huge plus for the game.

To me, endgame is stale, and while the OP states that it's not dead-serious, I am dead-serious in saying so.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • edited February 2013
    @Jonathin - I'm dead serious about the topic, just not serious about this thread. Remort is 'starting again, but with perks'. Think of it as new game plus in a console game. So in Achaea I'd be shooting for like being zapped back to level 1, same class, name, offs etc, but +1 to all stats. Prestige Whatever is a whatever that you have to gain through a game mechanic; usually more powerful than the regular whatevers and not available to noobs.
  • edited February 2013
    Remort, with a twist. +1 to stats, but can't attain dragon ever again. Once you reach 99 again, you can trade back, going to 1 and losing prestige, but regaining the ability to gain dragon!
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • Anything that gives stackable combat benefits to what you already have is a bad idea, as old dragon showed. High level perks should consist of things that widen your gaming experience, without actually making you distinctly more powerful. That's why current dragonclass works, and why multiclass would work too!
  • Multiclass would be limited to things only accepted by your house?

• edited February 2013
    Dunno, probably. But definitely to things acceptable by your city. No Apostate-Paladins!
  • If this means that we can steal even more serpent abilities, I approve.

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    Devotion :x
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."