Phaestus, the Smith (for real this time)

Comments

• Is that Jamaican I'm getting in your accent, girl?
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • I always imagined Phaestus as a giant Gimli with a hammer.

That said, I really like this better than that mental image. I think that this is the first piece of art that totally changed my perspective on one of the gods. I mean, Vastar's children are just people with bird wings. The Xoran are lizardpeople who come from lizards and people. They're all very literal. That's why I always imagined Phaestus, father of the dwarves, as being dwarf-like himself. That he isn't gives him a lot of depth in my eyes, and really casts him in a more creative light. Rather than forge golems, or create humans with hammers for hands, he went a little further and gave us dwarves. Considering his relationship to Scarlatti and Cyrene, I think that's really cool.

Plus I think he's hot.
  • edited February 2013
    Velyse said:
    I always imagined Phaestus as a giant Gimli with a hammer.

That said, I really like this better than that mental image. I think that this is the first piece of art that totally changed my perspective on one of the gods. I mean, Vastar's children are just people with bird wings. The Xoran are lizardpeople who come from lizards and people. They're all very literal. That's why I always imagined Phaestus, father of the dwarves, as being dwarf-like himself. That he isn't gives him a lot of depth in my eyes, and really casts him in a more creative light. Rather than forge golems, or create humans with hammers for hands, he went a little further and gave us dwarves. Considering his relationship to Scarlatti and Cyrene, I think that's really cool.

Plus I think he's hot.

I was with you right up until 'hot'.  He has got to be chilly in that skirt kilt.

ETA: These quote can go screw themselves.
  • I'll admit I was way off too.

I thought he looked like Hacksaw Jim Duggan wearing leather chaps and throwin down with anyone that gives him guff.

I -am- the Cataclysm Switchblade.
  • Tvistor said:
    I just realized Phaestus is that guy in college my parents told me to avoid.
    Hey, Tvistor let's go get wasted behind the quonset huts.  I'll show you my hammer.  
  • I'll schhhoww yew myy *hic* hammar.
  • edited February 2013
    Sylvance said:
    Is that Jamaican I'm getting in your accent, girl?
    It is not.
    Every day sends future to past 
    Every breath leaves me one less to my last
  • Sylvance doesn't want to see the hammer :(
  • Le gasp!
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    edited February 2013

Oh my god.

Usually, the school networks here block all images without issue and it's fine.

BUT OF COURSE I AM AT AN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL AND THE ABOVE PICTURE MAKES IT THROUGH. YOU DO NOT WANT THAT WORD ON YOUR SCREEN AT AN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL.

Gdi. :(

To actually keep things on topic: Love love love this picture. A lot are people are meh because HE'S NOT FORGING, but really, Phaestus does take time out to do other things, and it's nice to see him out of the "expected" scene.

Also god, he is way too pretty. In the best way.

And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • What country do you live in, @Melodie?

Primary school kids over here are waaaaaaaay past the 'penis' word...
  • *CORRECTION*

Mostly forges. Occasionally poses for fan art.
    Sylvance said:
    What country do you live in, @Melodie?

Florida, in the US.

And since when are kids aged 5-11 or so past that word? I don't even know any middle schoolers past that age.

And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Melodie said:
    Sylvance said:

Florida, in the US.

And since when are kids aged 5-11 or so past that word? I don't even know any middle schoolers past that age.

Pretty sure you need to extend that range by a couple decades. Or maybe that's just me.
  • Phaestus said:
    That is a flask, yeah. Don't worry, there is booze! Never go anywhere without some booze hidden on your person.

I was about to say... There's not a keg in that picture. This is quite wrong. @phaestus minus brew is like @sartan saying it's time to save the orphans... something would be quite wrong with the world.
    (Blades of Valour): He just has that Synbios Swagger enough said.
    (Blades of Valour): Draekar says: "Synbios if sunbeams sparkle off that I'll kill you where you stand."

(Party) Halos says, "Disbar?"
    (Party) Draekar says, "You know here we have disbar."
    (Party) Draekar says, "And over there we have datbar."
  • Favonius said:
    Man, imagine how messed up Achaea: The Movie would be.

"How come they didn't cast Ving Rhames as Phaestus?"
    Mel Gibson would have totally got it, if not for those unfortunate and poorly timed comments about Mhuns.
    Actually I hear he collects Maldaathi paraphernalia.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • YueYue
    edited February 2013
    The sweltering heat of the forge spills out across the land as the rumbling voice of Phaestus booms, "Nice bit of land you got over there, you scraggly good for nothings. Think you still know how to work? Too much playing dice and admiring each other's skirts, if you ask Me." 

The sweltering heat of the forge spills out across the land as the rumbling voice of Phaestus booms, "It's not a kilt if it's got a lace ruffle, Silas."

Awww, it doesn't have lace ruffles, so it's not a skirt. I see what ya' did thar, Phaestus..
  • Eld said:
    Melodie said:
    Sylvance said:

Florida, in the US.

Pretty sure you need to extend that range by a couple decades. Or maybe that's just me.
    I mean they've heard it and have moved on to more shocking vocabulary.
  • That's quite an apt representation. He is closer to his mortal creations than any other god :)
  • It makes this much more amusing to imagine that's Phaestus instead of Jesus.

Though it's funny either way.

• edited February 2013
    Sylvance said:
    Eld said:
    Melodie said:
    Sylvance said:

Florida, in the US.

I mean they've heard it and have moved on to more shocking vocabulary.
    Most K-3 haven't heard it or wouldn't know what it means if they have. 4-5/6 may be exposed to and using swearing etc., but that doesn't mean they're at all close to moving on from giggling at things like that. Regardless of the kids' maturity though, you wouldn't want the principal walking in and seeing it.
    Exactly. I like my job, plus really, whether they have or not doesn't matter - I as a teacher shouldn't be exposing them to it at all anyway.

So! Nice thread here, eh?
  • HalosHalos The Reaches
    edited February 2013
    The running puffball in Alyssea's signature is shockingly adorable. How can something that cute exist

A frenzied cleric screams, "Like more than one halo!"
  • I thought he'd be a dwarf myself, but then I came to the conclusion that his race is Immortal, not Dwarf so this makes sense to me. Now, if Vastar shows up with wings or something that'll probably blow my conclusion to pieces since I'm expecting him now to be more like the Avatar doing some air bending.

• I think Vastar does have wings.
      An Immortal bearing a resemblance to a dwarf doesn't seem much odder to me than an Immortal with horns or extra arms.

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."