Hood/veil concealing

Allow artefact hoods/veils to (possibly optionally) conceal people's faces in room desc's in the same way as a tailored item with a raised hood.

Comments

• Bad, everything is bad.  Except for alcohol.  That sssss is amazing.

I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • LothienLothien Montréal, Québec
    Obligatory 'update veils by deleting them' comment.
  • I hate my cloak which clearly has a hood in it's description, but was an house item can't get the hood raise/lower thing :( Because it wasn't a tailoring design

• Allowing the RAISE and LOWER commands with them would be the best option, since then you get the choice. Even better if they worked the opposite way for veils, so LOWER concealed and RAISE didn't.
  • HalosHalos The Reaches
    Raising and lowering a hood is cosmetic, while the effects of a veil are not. While it might be nice to have the raise/lower feature, tying the effects of the veil to it means running about looking like a hoodlum every time we want to check on the location of someone from A-team. I'd be fine with just being able to raise and lower it like the hood on a normal cloak without marrying it to the veil's functionality.

A frenzied cleric screams, "Like more than one halo!"
  • edited February 2013
    Perhaps as well, lowering the veil/hood could let non-veiled people sense you while still allowing you to sense people with raised veils/hoods.

• Issue yourself, it doesn't change the power, to let people sense you have to remove it.

You carefully lower the hood on a Hood of the Sphinx.
    You carefully raise the hood on a Hood of the Sphinx.

As for house items, you should have messaged your patron when the change was made, and they would have fixed it for you. Now that you have no house or patron, it's probably too late.

Example: When this change was made, I asked Phaestus to alter the Hooded Sorcerer Cloaks that the merchants tutor sold to have raise/lower hoods. About 12 minutes later, they did, so I just bought a new one as the old one wasn't fixed retroactively.
  • I would love this for regular, tailoured veils too. It's weird that people's hoods conceal their faces, while veils don't.
  • Halos said:
    Raising and lowering a hood is cosmetic, while the effects of a veil are not. While it might be nice to have the raise/lower feature, tying the effects of the veil to it means running about looking like a hoodlum every time we want to check on the location of someone from A-team. I'd be fine with just being able to raise and lower it like the hood on a normal cloak without marrying it to the veil's functionality.
    If this wasn't in response to me, then ignore this (or not, as you choose). If it was, I was talking purely in terms of the cosmetic aspect, not the mechanical aspect of concealing you from locating abilities.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but your face is concealed when a veil is lowered, so having RAISE VEIL add the "his/her face is partially concealed by a veil" line in the room description makes little to no sense.
  • EilonaEilona United Kingdom
    edited February 2013
    Antonius said:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but your face is concealed when a veil is lowered, so having RAISE VEIL add the "his/her face is partially concealed by a veil" line in the room description makes little to no sense.
    That depends. If you're imagining a typical western bridal veil, your way makes sense. If however, you're imagining the type of veil below, raising it would cover the face, while lowering it (below the chin) would uncover it.

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    That's the sort of veil that Selene always wore.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• It even makes sense for a Western bridal veil if you interpret "raise" and "lower" a little bit more loosely - hell, uncovering the face while wearing a veil is part of the Western marriage ceremony.
  • A hood of the sphinx CAN be raised and lowered. Now, having the ability for veils of all sorts (including the artefact ones) to be raised and lowered, I'd get behind... We do have tailorable veils after all, don't we? I'd like to see it in a different way than the hoods do though...
    (The Midnight Crew): Cain says, "You on your period lynara?"

(The Midnight Crew): Micaelis says, "Lynara coded periods out of his DNA."
  • Lynara said:
    A hood of the sphinx CAN be raised and lowered. Now, having the ability for veils of all sorts (including the artefact ones) to be raised and lowered, I'd get behind... We do have tailorable veils after all, don't we? I'd like to see it in a different way than the hoods do though...
    No it can't.
    You are wearing:
          hood1               a Hood of the Sphinx

-raise hood
    You are not wearing an item of clothing with a hood.
    Hence the thread.

• You can always ISSUE ME to get a 'hood' added to your Robes or Hood (the arties), so I don't see why it shouldn't be a default feature, especially on the hood.
    Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."