What do you want to do in Achaea?

DaslinDaslin The place with the oxygen
edited January 2013 in North of Thera
I was just wondering what everyone was planning/wanting for their character. Mostly from the beginning, is what I'm wondering. I know wishes/ideas change over time.

Comments

• AmunetAmunet Spokane, Washington, USA
    In the beginning, I really had no intentions for Amunet, since I didn't really plan to play Achaea any longer than was necessary to placate my friends. Right now, I wouldn't be able to narrow down which direction I want her to go - politics, religion, and ritual are like food, water, and air to my roleplay, and so interconnected in the way I play my character that I wouldn't be able to prioritise "Pure RP" and "Political positions" over each other. I suppose I just plan to keep doing what I'm doing, but better. ;)
    My avatar is an image created by this very talented gentleman, of whose work I am extremely jealous. It was not originally a picture of Amunet, but it certainly looks a great deal like how I envision her!
  • When I first started playing Achaea, I didn't know much about MUDs or roleplaying and didn't have any real intentions beyond playing the game like any other RPG. I started out treating it like a single-player game, bashing and working on guild requirements by myself without interacting more than I had to. I quickly got more interested in the multiplayer aspects of the game, but that wasn't an improvement since I ended up treating it more like a chat room that happened to also be a game, and what little roleplay I had got even worse.

Eventually I grew out of that, but my old character wasn't salvageable, even after a RL year of trying to change her reputation. So I created Sena with the intention of having a more serious character and roleplaying more. But I still didn't have very specific goals in mind.
  • ^ Sena pretty much spot-on described my own beginnings. Only difference is that this was on Iocun for me, and he wasn't "not salvageable". It just took me a very long time to get comfortable interacting with other players, and even then it was almost only within Iocun's own guild. All my early logs are super boring and consist of almost nothing but ratting. Later, guild activities, such as teaching novices, were added to this.

I was actually interested in combat at the very start and wanted Iocun to become good at fighting, but when he grew older and rose in his guild I started to become embarrassed by getting beaten by newbies, and since I was too lazy to learn to get really good at combat I dropped fighting completely. In the meantime I became interested in exploration, which was the primary thing that defined my playing experience for a long time. I always thought "yeah, I'll get into fighting too some time", but it took me many years until I finally pushed through that barrier and forced myself to make a good system and practice combat (during the Ashtan-Cyrene "war").

Roleplay was something that gradually evolved over the entire time. It was always present, but initially tainted by the general lack of IC-OOC distinction Achaea used to have, which grew better with time.
  • (just because it's an option)
  • Your mother.

• There was a time I'd have instantly and eagerly voted for politics. I'm not disinterested in the other options, but since returning from dormancy, my interest in the multitude of options presented by the new landscape of Achaean RP significantly outweighs any of the others.
  • A mix of RP and combatant, as I have little experience in both areas.
  • Combatant/lolpker

lolpker more fun though :D
  • AkiaAkia phoenix, az
    I want to make people cry IRL and /wrists.  That's my goal as an excellent human being.

• Y'all know what this is.
  • DSL with a two-handed sword :(

• AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    edited January 2013
    I just come to roleplay, which kindles my interest and enthusiasm in the other areas like combat, leadership, and politics as my character evolves. Those areas are time-draining and often stressful, but as the character evolved and evolves in my head, it pushes me into those arenas to make the character consistent and believable. As I grew out of novicehood and became a sort of preacher/pastor, I decided that leadership is something I should do. As I got more in the RP of a Knight, I realized I should learn to fight. As I started to lead in larger and larger roles, I realized that politics came with the responsibility.

For me, everything else comes as a byproduct to being loyal to my RP concepts.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • I want to be a leader that will be remembered. Someone people look up to, someone that can lead his followers into battle or through political agendas. I've made a lot of advances here recently, but I have a lot more work to do.

As far as RP, I wish I was better at it. I feel like I've done okay, but words don't flow from my brain to the keyboard very well, so I'm slow at it. Its something I'm putting more effort in, and trying to gear my House around as well.
  • edited January 2013
    I have always played this game primarily for the RP, for the record. 

When I first made Cinya, I also was gung-ho about learning combat. Since she started as a Serpent, however, early on I lost interest completely. I dabbled as a Runewarden, but I kind of began to realize that combatants tend to get treated differently (more OOCly), you often have to run off in the middle of RP, etc, so I kind of gave up on it for good. Not worth that to me. 

Sidenote: Of course there are exceptions. Some combatants are excellent RPers - @Sothantos comes to mind. But still. 

My goal from day one, on my very first character ever, was to be an HoN. That was all I wanted. Not a city leader, not an HL, but an HoN. I was so excited about that role, and to this day, it's pretty much my favorite position to hold. I like teh n00bs. 
    Mathonwy said:
    dactylic hexameter is
    way more interesting than the inside of anyone's vagina.
  • Just wanted to have fun. Tried Achaea, had, and still having, fun. Stuck ever since.
  • What @Delphinus said, also missing artist. Pure RP is an odd one, because pretty much everything should be done for RP anyway ideally.

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

• DaslinDaslin The place with the oxygen
    I apologize for the lack of choices. Brain decided to shit out after lolpk. Oh well.
  • I think my vote rats me out, but I really love all aspects.  I feel bad that pure RP for me is #1 but it drives every other answer. for me it's more of a when there is a dry spell of rp/politics/combat I can try to work the rest with my small family.
  • I'm glad that Phaestus is also in this "for the lulz".  It's important to me to be aligned with my city and house patron's goals.   
  • DaslinDaslin The place with the oxygen
    @Rinzai small but fire-y. Explosive? Something? heh.
  • Scholar, mainly, though everything else has it's place.  Wouldn't be Nell without a near crippling amount of bloodlust to throw at people.
  • Pretty much everything other than lolpk. I got into combat for the rp value, not to piss people off.

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

• When I first started, I wanted to be a combatant, but as @Cinya said, it's mostly OOC interactions and that's kinda uncomfortable for me, so now I'm striving for more RP'ing and scholar'ing but I wouldn't mind a political role to keep me from straying away which I tend to do too much. If somebody had a way of teaching me to fight more than "Type whatever, wait three seconds, then type it again" then I might be more interested.

I know there are reasons for being told like this I just prefer to keep everything IG

• A mix of them all, but with RP standards (strong separation of IC/OOC) as a constant.

RP "events" are fun and I enjoy them, but I know they're not for everyone. Mostly I just try to stay (and appreciate others trying to stay) IC when talking about things like combat ICly etc.
  • For me, it's always been about RPing a Bard.
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • XerXer Langley
    I came for the RP. Found out combat on Xer. I've always taken up leadership roles because I want to make things better and more fun for everyone around me so that seems to transferring IG as well. It's odd - I slated Xer to be a scholar (which he sorta is - I hope he did well on the Illumination Project haha D:), but he's definitely more known as a combatant I feel >.> Odd how things turn out, but it's not a bad thing haha :D
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    e^(iπ) + 1 = 0
  • Tesha is really fun to play. I like how she is developed and I like the combat system (although I am really sensitive and shy about people being upset with me and the arguing in the combat logs will probably traumatize me x_x) but primarily I follow where the character leads. It has been an extraordinarily enjoyable journey so far, so I think it is working for me. :)

i'm a rebel