I'm contemplating the creation of a completely player-run Mark organization comparable to Ivory / Quisalis but without the myriad of problems built into the existing Mark "system". I'm wondering how the community would feel about this, given a few assumptions:
• It would be operated based on a charter with very clear rules - rules which should be reviewed by the game admin, and approved provided they are consistently enforced.
• Essentially, we would accept contracts exactly the way the old mark system used to work, and members (who must be Quisalis, Mark, or Dauntless) may accept them from an org-managed Board.
• PK Cause (or whatever synonym we're using this year) is forfeited by the person who hires, and the Mark represents the person who hired.
• If the Mark succeeds, they must inform the target of who hired you, along with a short summary of the reason, provided by the hiring player.
• If the Mark dies to the target, the contract is nullified, and the Mark informs the target (same as above).
• Organizations could also hire for organizational crimes, provided you're not doubling up with Bounties or Ivory/Quisalis contracts (this must be strictly forbidden)
Operations of this organization should be sanctioned by the game admin, however membership would be revoked if you are caught breaking the rules, unless it can be arbitrated IG and in-character.
Essentially this organization would function exactly like a real assassin organization would work. You pay us to kill people. Simple. The hiring player doesn't get Exp for the kill, but you get satisfaction and vengeance, which is usually what people are after.
There are three main reasons I think this would be a good thing for the game, overall:
1) The current mark system is horrible (I won't go into it here because every Mark is already aware of the many issues, and it's been hashed out in other threads many times over)
2) There's no indication that it's ever going to improve, as the complaints are old and there's nothing on the roadmap to improve it
3) Doing this IC is way better than doing it OOC through a "system" anyways
4) Under the new PK rules, this is completely legitimate, as "Person X payed me to kill you" is a completely rational and valid IC reason to kill someone, as long as steps are taken to prevent abuse and harassment.
As another note, I would not personally head this organization - it should be someone who the community trusts to be an objective enforcer of the rules of the organization that enforces fairness to targets and hiring players alike. I'm simply raising this as an idea, and would be happy to help with the legwork to get the organization started.
Probably this would not be allowed on the assumption that it wouldn't work, but I believe it could work and would add a lot to the game if done well, and I think it's worth giving the idea a chance. It can always be shut down at a later time if concerns about abuse become a reality.
note: Every person who has ever been an MoS since the bounty system has already been entrusted with this power (which includes me by the way). We know it can work when done properly.