Suddenly, A Wild Nondescript Political Debate Appears!

edited January 2013 in The Universal Membrane
Sharing this because I thought it was clever and mostly created by Achaeans. @Hieyoko is purple, dark blue is @Tania, and light blue is @Dethea

You're all clever and probably have some other fun comments too, I bet! (But let's not channel too much of the old politics forum's hate.)

I've also hosted the image here, if anyone is interested.

Comments

• Anyone who posts any political content on facebook, linkedin, or any other garbage site I'm expected to use will be immediately de-friended.
  • @Halios,  did you actually even read the posts? :P They're not too terribly hard to stomach. 

• Adalie said:
    @Halios,  did you actually even read the posts? :P They're not too terribly hard to stomach. 
    I was adding. That's usually a frequent one, isn't it?
  • Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh! Well, let me just wipe this egg off my face here... hahaha. That is one, yes!

• edited January 2013

This is great, great stuff.  That said, my view on political posting on social networks is this:

Yes, if you're smart, you do realize that social networks are a very grey area of personal life, professional life, acquaintances... a mine field of potential trouble, really.  However, the people who make me most weary, and that I'm most wary of, are those "nice" people who *never* post anything truly controversial.  And I don't mean make a "controversial" statement that they know is also held by most, if not all of their friends, I mean talk about something that people *really* disagree on, and maybe even take up the view they know is the less popular one in their own circle.  I  see them as either overly wishy washy, or even too "slick" for my taste.  Plus it's boring.  Still, this is hilarious, and how all but a few arguments go. 

EDIT:  I have a special circle of hatred for those who look down on anyone who posts anything "political" with condescension and disdain (not saying Adalie is doing that, I don't see this spot on bit of humor as that at all).  Sure, there are a lot of silly arguments like the one above, but damn, if I don't block you for your constant posting of how you made this super healthy dish and went running today (oh hey, I did too - well, at least the running bit, but I know it's just not very interesting) and Go Team X!!!, I can tolerate "controversial" posts.

• that.was.epic.

• LiancaLianca Fire and Spice
    @Jules. Just to add a bit of seriousness to the thead. Posting rants, diatribes, and hard stances on things that might be controversial is probably best kept off the social networking sites. These are now the first stop checks for employers, and may well present a first opinion of yourself.

Just something everyone should bear in mind when presenting a public face.
    The sweltering heat of the forge spills out across the land as the rumbling voice of Phaestus booms, "I want you to know, the Garden reaction to that one is: What?"
    The voice of Melantha, Goddess of the Seasons, echoes amid the rustle of leaves, "That's the censored version."
  • OP is a noob, topic irrelevant.

• edited January 2013

Yes, they are.  That is a reality, and you'd be very foolish and naïve not to take it into account.  It's even more true in the civilian world than my own (oh, irony, but I'm pretty sure that's the case).  In some cases, employers are really overstepping the privacy rights, but that's a whole different discussion, and it sure won't help you when you've got that friend request from your new or would be boss...

If I felt I really had to watch myself to that degree because I knew I needed to say yes to that "friend" request from my employer, I'd probably have a public account, and another one for people who were at least in the periphery of my personal life.  There are also privacy settings, but that really has gone badly for people when new changes are implemented!  Anyway, I *really* get bent out of shape when people bust out the "omg, if anyone posts about the election I will deletzorz"  (or something similar).  And if you always post shiny happy (and probably boring) posts, I'm watching you :P  But seriously, I'm watching.  Also, if I hear about what you drank and your kettlebell workout again, I will... do nothing but silently dislike your post.  Really, I think most people aren't outright afraid for their jobs or promotability, at least not in my sphere, but it's a "softer" version of knowing that controversy is inherently risky.  Because someone might not agree with you.  But that leaves almost no one talking about important issues of the day, and that's... really not good.  At all.   

• Omg, I forgot about this! 

I lost several friends during the election :(
  • edited January 2013

Oh, and @Lianca yes, rants and diatribes in particular certainly do wear on your readers *very* quickly, as does "Vaguebooking" (which is almost always some kind of rant).  If you're going to rant much at all, it'd better be pretty entertaining and tailored to your audience.  And from the employer standpoint, I think that can probably get you in hot water even faster than asserting a controversial political position. 

EDIT:  there are a few people I work with who rant quite a bit about work itself (eep!), but usually with a very good sense of humor, and their audience is a small, insular community where everyone knows everyone, and everyone knows exactly what they're talking about, too.  That's not to say that it still couldn't get them into a bit of "soft" trouble (decision makers considering their FB persona in ways that could affect promotion).  It's very much accepted that it won't get them in actual hot water though. 

• Some people really need a blog, yeah.  At least... I think that's the meaning. 
  • Tvistor said:

The solution is to become liches. Get rid of the annoying problem called 'mortality' and you can mudsling by magically throwing mountains at other liches. Two (undead) birds with one (fiery) stone.

• Dethea said:
    Omg, I forgot about this! 

For real? D:

I've been away for like, five days and saw I was tagged somewhere and was really, really confused, @Adalie.

• Tania said:
    Dethea said:

For real? D:

I've been away for like, five days and saw I was tagged somewhere and was really, really confused, @Adalie.

Yes :(

My political rhetoric isn't even that bad/offensive. D:
  • Dethea said:

Tania said:
    Dethea said:

For real? D:

Yes :(

My political rhetoric isn't even that bad/offensive. D:
    I think you are among the least offensive people I've ever interacted with, honestly. Although I guess that's not saying much on the internet.
  • Mandatory post of how the political system in my country is better than the political system in your country.
  • Windmillans. Always have better everything D:

League of Legends: IA ROCKS (NA)
    Guild Wars 2: erasariel.1532 - Devona's Rest (NA)
    Final Fantasy XIV: Novi Selea - Cactuar (NA)
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ErasarielOfAchaea/
    Achaea: Erasariel (duh!)