As a Nexus client user I have never felt limited by the client compared to mudlet, except when it comes to the map. With that in mind I have put together a package to bring the functionality of the Achaea crowd map, popular with mudlet users, to the Nexus client. nexMap loads the crowd map into a separate tab in the Nexus client. It is intentionally styled it similar to the default Nexus map for ease of transition.
So, a new map package that looks just like the default map, what's the big deal? A quick overview of some of the other features:
- Most importantly, nexMap will display many rooms in the game that are omitted in the Nexus map. All Nexus users are familiar with the image below of "(unknown area)".
- This map is fully functional (pan/zoom/fit) and will track the player's movement like normal. Rooms can also be selected via mouse click to begin pathing to the selected location.
- The second major improvement for Nexus users is nexMap will utilize wormholes and clouds for pathing! Pathing can be started indoors/underground and the path will use wings at the first outdoor room.
- These options may be configured by the user depending on their character's capabilities. (Note the cloud commands can be customized for air lords as well.)
- For those without the ability to use wormholes (me) or wings; the pathing options are still improved. The new pathing has no 100 room limit like the standard paths in Nexus.
- With the larger database of rooms available, the find room capabilities have improved now as well. nexMap allows for searching by string for room names with click to go functionality.
- Lastly, there is also included integration with Farsee and the same click to go function.
- Oh and of course there is the standard "nm goto <room id>" to manually path anywhere.
The package can be downloaded with the link below or via github. After loading the package into Nexus simply run "nm load" and you should be off and running (knock on wood).
Website for fun
This is version 1.0 of the package. There may be some bugs that show up from having a variety of different users; let me know if there are any issues so I can address them. Also, I am still working on the code and additional features. I welcome any feature requests or suggestions for improvement!