We're considering putting in default sounds for specific events in the game. This is an effort to help improve the game for VI players.
For example, a sound effect would play when balance or eq is regained. Maybe when an instakill starts or when an enemy enters the room.
One problem we foresee is that we will quickly have sounds playing so much it would become overwhelming and people will turn them off. We would probably have some basic sounds turned on by default, with the ability to configure as many or as few as you like.
What sound events would you like to see in the game that would improve your experience? VI or not.
Obvious, not so much VI but generally useful-stuff/stuff I already have audio-cued myself: Levelling up, friend from a friend list or watch/tracking skill triggered. An option to tack it onto clan chat/specific users sending tells/messages. It probably seems overkill but its useful to have for certain clans that are all-business and any information on them is a priority. Audio cues for me are like a phone's: Specific noises for specific events that tell me if I need to prioritise reacting to them or I can leave it for a bit.
VI-useful stuff: aside from really obvious ideas. A cue for anyone on a user-defined list entering or exiting a room
You'll never do because it would be too cheeky but you love me: sea monster spawning or shipwarning triggered while fishing very legitimately.
Disco inferno.midi should play automatically on any 1/35 win at the roulette table.
I would think a bip when initially drawing aggression might be wanted?
One playing every time you get bal back might be a little too jarring, for how often it happens.
- Raids starting (maybe ending, too),
- Instakills starting (maybe only when it's guaranteed they're aimed at you, for multi-message ones),
- Possibly when you run out of some curative/vial,
- Important things decaying: vials, packs, armour, etc.
Basic example (not an actual trigger or message) :
Trigger, regular expression:
"Blades swinging wildly, (\w+)\ bears down on you, picking up speed as (\w+)\ goes."
Show a notice: == INSTAKILL INCOMING == (red text, black background)
Play a sound: Alarm Beep 2
Not quite the same as an official thing, of course, but might help out for now!
Just a few thoughts of what I've created highlights for, and could totally see sounds helping. Thanks for the thought!
- mines(Play a sound when a mine collapses)
- QWC (options to have a sound play when a certain person shows up?)
- Maybe if you move a room and you have gold in your hands? That way VI players might be able to better recognize that they're at risk of dropping on death. I struggle myself and I'm not VI.
- Raid Sanctions are a great one, I think bounty/contract claims are another.
- Maybe instead of balance/eq since I think that's a bit... too much for anyone (maybe configure a setting?)
- When Radiance begins, for sure. (other instakills are a good thought, but radiance is the best, for sure one I think).
- When certain abilities can be used again (Terran Titan, chrono rebirth, etc)
Aegis, God of War says, "You are dismissed from My demense, Astarod. Go forth and fight well. Bleed fiercely, and climb the purpose you have sought to chase for."
Not sure there to be honest, would love to hear how much of an impact that has someone playing with VI, I know that I certainly prefer "override" rather than "simultaneous" play but some of my cues are longer than they have any right to be. My ship castoff alias comes with a random piece from Penzance or Pinafore.
EDIT: Just kidding its the Windwaker sailing theme.
Edit: lightning from thunderstorm not the grove ability.
There ought to be some 'VI assistance' packs for nexus and mudlet though, premade with the most important stuff for prompts.