Hello from Achaea's coders!
We've been hard at work on various backend updates this year, some with results that are more visible to you and some with results that you don't see as directly. Beyond general bugfixing and new content, there are always things to do though, more things we'd like to do than we have time to do!
For our next focus, we couldn't make up our minds between a few different backend projects, so we're asking for some input on what we should work on next. Here are the choices:
1. A better, unified backend for recipes (anything that uses ingredients, like Remedies and Augmentation, not just for Cooking!).
- This will simplify and unify a lot for us behind the scenes. Conjuration and Enchanting would probably benefit the most! The goal is to retain the flavour of the tradeskills (and bring back some lost flavour for Remedies), reduce the need for client scripts, and give us the ability to add other learnable recipes in the future, perhaps even outside of typical skill learning.
2. Work on player house security.
- For a long time, people have been frustrated by the security of player housing: what seems like it should be among the safest places is in some ways the most risky place to spend time. Simultaneously, housing can sometimes also be used as a place to hide from consequences in a way that we don't find very healthy for the game. We've spent some time thinking about this before, but this choice would likely take more thinking and more design time than #1. Accordingly, we don't know if or how this would affect ship housing at this stage.
3. Screw all that and spend some more time with the IDEAs list.
- This would involve shifting our focus to implementing many of the approved one-off ideas. We probably still wouldn't get to all of them (there are a lot of them!), and if you are hoping we would get to yours, please bear in mind when voting that this is no guarantee that yours will be one we'll end up getting to!
Note that we'll likely be fairly busy during the holidays, and much of the work will probably remain somewhat invisible even once we start plugging away at it in earnest. We'll leave the voting up until then!