I would like to state here that my intention is not to create another
discussion about whether OOC chat is bad or not, and I would prefer to
keep that discussion in another thread, if it must be held at all. The
purpose of this thread is to keep track of the experiment.
I have been thinking about an experiment I have been wanting to try, so I thought I would share it here. It involves the roleplaying scene in Achaea and OOC clans/discord/forums/skype groups. There has been a lot of discussion about the impact OOC clans/discord/forums/skype groups/whatever have on the game, and that made me curious what the game would be like with less of the influence of OOC chat. Getting rid of it completely is unrealistic and undesirable; there are definitely benefits to it, but there are drawbacks, as well.
A long time ago, I turned off all OOC clans and only interacted with people IC. This was fine, but I did it at a time where a lot of interactions were being held over OOC clans instead, so the overall experience was not much different. It just had less OOC. I am wondering what would happen if more people tuned out OOC and instead focused on interacting with fellow players IC, and that is what this experiment is meant to assess. The more people that participate in it, the stronger the effect will be. If someone asks a question on an OOC clan and does not get an answer because most people are participating, they might ask IC instead.
The goal is to minimize OOC chat. The main idea is that this would generate more interactions IC, and facilitate a richer roleplaying atmosphere.
This would be done by turning off OOC clans, not talking about
Achaea-related things in discord/forums/skype groups and resisting the
temptation to turn OOC clans back on/chat in discord/etc. while you are
actively playing. How each and every person defines actively playing
will be up to them; this is the sort of experiment that you get out what
you put in, and I have no desire to try to push this on anyone who is
not interested. There would be some exceptions in order to maintain help for certain things.
Here are the guidelines!
1. Post here indicating your interest in participating! Unfortunately I do not have the funds to give out incentives. Maybe @Nicola @Makarios
could help with that! The more people that participate, the greater the effect will be, and the more results we will have. However, please do not pressure other people to participate
. Participation needs to be entirely voluntary
2. For 1 week starting Monday, December 11th, turn off OOC chat clans, and leave them off. OOC trigger/newbie help clans are fine, those can be very beneficial to the game and from what I have seen contribute by avoiding the awkward OOC/IC breaches.
3. Do not discuss Achaea-related things in Discord/forums/etc while you are playing. I am not asking you to leave all discords or anything drastic - just keep Achaea things in Achaea. The goal is not to kill the OOC environment; the goal is to drive in-character interactions in the game.
4. Try to rely on communication channels less. Walk up to citymates to talk to them, rather than exclusively using CT/tells. Use emotes, they're fun!
5. Try to reach out and interact with people. Do not wait for interactions to come to you; generate your own content!
6. Come back to this thread and post your experiences, however you
would like to. This can be when you are not playing or after the week -
that is entirely up to you. This is what I would like to keep the thread for.
7. After the experiment, come back and share your thoughts on the matter. If you would like, you could choose a few questions to answer, such as: Did the game feel different compared to before? How did you feel when it ended?
To reiterate, please keep this thread focused on the experiment and the results. I hope you decide to participate. Thanks!