Welcome to the Achaea Forums! Please be sure to read the Forum Rules.

How To Run Events/Create Content/Generate Interest

JurixeJurixe Where you least expect itPosts: 1,649Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
I decided to make this topic as it seems there is and has been an interest on learning more about event/activity running. I think there are actually many people who like and want to run activities, but perhaps have been discouraged for one reason or another; hopefully this can help you guys out one way or another, and the community benefits from more engaged people/more interesting events as a result.

First off, disclaimer: I am by no means any sort of an expert in the above field(s) and anything I say in this topic is derived from my experiences only. Please do not take it as the be-all and end-all. Having said that, I love planning and organising events more than just about anything in Achaea and I've done it a lot in the last 9 years, so there's bound to be some things that resonate.

I'm breaking these down into separate posts as I've apparently exceeded character limits (whoops) so please be aware that these posts can be quite long. I'm almost certain to have missed out something so fellow event/activity-runners, please feel free to share your thoughts/add in as you notice anything.

I am fully open to discussion on any of these points and welcome private messages as well if you prefer not to have a public discussion. In my view, the more people who want to run activities, the better, and if I can help you out with that I'm all for it. Activity is important for any organisation.

Most importantly, we can have all these guidelines, but sometimes you should just take a deep breath, jump in feet first, and see how it goes. If it doesn't work, you climb back out and try again. If it does, great success! You've got nothing to lose and you'll only get better as you continue.

Note: This thread is not a critique of any events or activities, past or present, in Achaea, and how they have been done. I'd appreciate it if people could refrain from mudslinging in here as I intend for this thread to be a resource, not a performance appraisal. I'm sure we are all more mature than that but I felt it was necessary to mention.
If you like my stories, you can find them here:
Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

CailinJarrodNeraeosKietJadysSobriquetAsaniDridenZackeryEheneAlasielKayeilSiduriSthenoAtalkezBoosteyaUtianimaMelodie

Comments

• SthenoStheno Posts: 71Member ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    @Jurixe, thank you for this! It's great to have a comprehensive guide for old and new players.

A few things I'll add, based on experience and personal preference. This is just what worked well for me.

You are the prelude to your events.

The first time I met Jurixe, I was following my mentor phased and they met to discuss business. A very excited Stheno burst out of phase and hovered in the background until introductions were made. Thanks to Jurixe, this was an event in itself, where we toured the Asterian Restoration and talked about our aspirations over fireflies.

I was very new and shy. Impromptu can be "events without a purpose" done right, and the scale really can be small and personal.

When she invited me to her next big thing, I accepted because I had a kind of safety net in her—an experienced writer who wasn't going to let me write myself into a corner. Content creation takes patience and confidence in your ideas, both of which can be developed with the points above. It helps to cultivate a presence and personality that draws people in. Jurixe isn't what I would call a friendly character, but she comes across like an elegant diplomat, someone who knows she needs others to achieve her grand machinations. A way to have this feel natural is to lead with your character. Approach event planning like it's all IC—a thought that germinates in your character's mind, a guest list that pulls from their associations and their goals, and an execution that delivers on the little promises made along the way. You'll be better for it, and you might find they start coming to you.

Play to their strengths.

Not everyone will want to spend the same time and effort on written content. That doesn't mean they can't get involved.

Say someone you know is a taciturn PK badass, and you'd like their involvement in a ritual. If they're at all interested, make it simpler for them to step in. Write an outline of their part and have them contribute pieces. Let them say nothing and take part purely through action. Weave them into your story, and thank them for their efforts at the end.

You should always be looking for opportunities to involve your audience. A monologue is generally less interesting than a debate that poses questions throughout, a ritual that demands volunteers, or (if you're Mhaldorian) making a fun example of someone.

Atmosphere, atmosphere, atmosphere!

You can source inspiration from many different things, but if you're ever stuck or curious, look at the world around you. The Prime Material alone is a diverse plane, full of climates and empty auditoriums and crumbling stages and garlanded outdoor spaces. Using landmarks and points of interest will ground your event in the setting and decade you've chosen, which makes for a more immersive experience than an event that could've happened anywhere, anytime. It also encourages your audience to LOOK and react to what's unfolding.

Words in, words out.

As mentioned, creating can often feel like an exhausting and thankless task. To create content long-term, you have to do it for the love and the sport of it. To keep from running on empty, I try to refill the tank by consuming as much creative media as I put out. I like all mediums, but you might have a favourite show or a book series you can't put down. Anything that makes you think "damn, I wish I'd thought of this!" is good creative fuel, and serves to reintroduce you to different perspectives, voices, and narrative structures. It's like editing without having written something—a foundation for your own creative voice.

Most thoughts aren't wholly original ones that sprang like Athena from their creators' heads, but a retelling of something that came before, as far back as myth.

Know when the moment is passed.

Occasionally you'll pour a lot of love into something and it just won't pan out. Everything from bad timing to city budget to population can affect the outcome of an idea. Sometimes an admin will have the same idea and execute it better, or a protégé will delight you by surpassing your original plans. These are all blessings in disguise.

Know when to gracefully step back and let someone else assume the spotlight. Taking a deep breath is an important part of self-care.
    Hey, little songbird, look all around you.
    See how the vipers and vultures surround you.
    KietBoosteyaJurixeAlasiel
Sign In to Comment.