Welcome to the Achaea Forums! Please be sure to read the Forum Rules
Idea: City Guard Command Posts & Semaphore Towers
(Ok, let's get this part over with first: REEEEEEEEE NO CITY GUARD CHANGES, ACHAEA IS PVP NOT PVG REEEEEEEEEEE)
Now that that is out of the way, here's my idea.
Lately I've been taking more of an interest in city guard mechanics, learning how they work, how to best employ them (thanks Mhaldor) and what their strengths and weaknesses are (thanks Mhaldor).
As most of you probably know, in order to hire or move a guard, one has to be in the room they want the guard moved to. This can be somewhat of an annoyance when trying to reposition guards to support a raid defence, or even for routine changes and repositioning. Obviously, though, it'd be too overpowered to just be able to sit in one spot and command guards all over the city...that is, without a bit of help.
I give you: the CITY GUARD COMMAND POST and SEMAPHORE (signal) TOWERS.
Guard Command Post
- Improvement that allows guards to be moved and stationed remotely.
- Only one Command Post per City.
- Requires at least one Semaphore Tower in order to operate - useless otherwise.
- When constructed, creates a room that can be entered from the room that it is constructed in.
- Limited number of people able to move guards at once (2? 3?)
- Person(s) stationing guards must remain still for the normal period of time, cannot move, etc.
- Must be placed within 15 rooms of the city Keystone.
- Used in conjunction with a Command Post. At least one is required to be of any use.
- Sends semaphore signals to guards, allowing them to be commanded from a distance.
- Can be constructed ANYWHERE in the city.
- Has a (X) room "command range" from placement. All guards within that range may be restationed to another room within the coverage area.
- Up to five Semaphore Towers may be constructed in a City. Each tower constructed increases the command range of ALL towers by +1 room. A full complement of 5 towers allows guards to be moved anywhere in the City limits.
- Semaphores are tall and not exactly quiet, so it's quite noticeable when they are sending messages (A clacking and rattle of gears sounds from a nearby semaphore tower, The clacking noises fade to silence as a nearby semaphore tower stills.)
- Small penalties/bonuses to guard "travel" times depending on number of towers built?
- How to refer to rooms - room name? internal ID number?
I think this would add a bit more strategy to raids, and give defenders additional options when responding to a raid. Would appreciate any comments/suggestions.