New Nexus version up for testing!

TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
We're pleased to announce a new version of our Nexus client is available to test! This release focuses on quality of life improvements and fixing up a bunch of issues that were a source of frustration for users. Head over to https://newclient.achaea.com and check it out today! 

Details of the changes are as follows:

- The scrollback system has been rewritten, fixing issues with the scrollback position jumping around when text was received from the game.

- Double-clicking the scrollback window will now close it.

- The logging system was overhauled, removing the over-time lag that would happen while logging was active. The timed playback of logs was removed, but this allowed a greater amount of text to be logged than before.

- New configuration options were added:
 - "Copy on select" will automatically copy selected text in the main output window to your clipboard.
 - "Show timestamps in logs" will toggle whether to show timestamps in logs.
 - "Prepend history on logging start" will prepend the existing text in your output window to the beginning of the log.

- Copying text from the output window no longer places an additional blank line between lines.

- Simplified scripting actions now support hex color code entry when picking colors.

- Simplified scripting will now autocomplete variable names with or without the @ symbol.

- Simplified scripting now has an action to modify the buttons (Labels, commands, and highlight status).

- API functions were added for the button manipulation.
   - buttons_set_label(id, text)
   - buttons_set_commands(id, cmds)
   - buttons_set_highlight(id, on_off)
   - buttons_set_default(id)

- Entering a room with something you have targeted will now correctly show the map and other room information.

As always, we'll have this client up for testing for a few days before moving it over to replace the "live" client.

Comments

• You go girl.
  • TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    Puxi said:
    You go girl.

• Tecton said:
    - The scrollback system has been rewritten, fixing issues with the scrollback position jumping around when text was received from the game.

Amazing.

- Double-clicking the scrollback window will now close it.

Sweet.

- New configuration options were added:
     - "Copy on select" will automatically copy selected text in the main output window to your clipboard.

Amazing

Thanks @Tecton, this is awesome. The only thing I noticed was that whenever I selected text, alt-tabbed or switched tabs, the selection would be unselected. Might be a redraw thing. Not a big deal.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

This is now live, refresh your browser tab to get the latest version!
  • Seems to work fine, very fancy.

Um. Is the input line supposed to look like it's hiding, or is that just for certain browser/OS configurations?
    edited March 2018
    Never seen that one before, @Cede ! Drop me an email with a screenshot and some system info (os/browser/screen resolution), and I'll take a look!
  • QwindorQwindor Fort Riley
    edited April 2018
    This is what I get when I try to get onto it from my tablet. Can't do anything with it. Windows 7 Professional 64 bit OS. @Tecton

What screen resolution is your tablet, @Qwindor ?
  • QwindorQwindor Fort Riley
    1366x768

• I'm curious how much can be done in terms of customising the GUI, and how to begin going about that. Some things I do in Mudlet include:

• Different UI arrangements depending on what I am doing. (pve, pvp, exploration etc) Sometimes I want the map as large as possible, and don't care much about chat. Other times I'm more interested in who/what is in the room, or maximising space for buttons.
    • Print/echo text of my own to a text display. Maybe I would like a 4-line console underneath the main console where I display vital information. Can I create this kind of thing in Nexus? I do see the client.register_custom_tab(tab,container_id) command in the wiki but that is limited to existing containers.
    • more buttons in different places

• edited April 2018
    Caled said:
    I'm curious how much can be done in terms of customising the GUI, and how to begin going about that. Some things I do in Mudlet include:

• Different UI arrangements depending on what I am doing. (pve, pvp, exploration etc) Sometimes I want the map as large as possible, and don't care much about chat. Other times I'm more interested in who/what is in the room, or maximising space for buttons.
    • Print/echo text of my own to a text display. Maybe I would like a 4-line console underneath the main console where I display vital information. Can I create this kind of thing in Nexus? I do see the client.register_custom_tab(tab,container_id) command in the wiki but that is limited to existing containers.
    • more buttons in different places

Nexus UI management is perhaps a magnitude more flexible than Mudlet as you have nearly full control over the entire browser display.

A few things to see:
    - the main output background is altered to give the appearance of frosted glass over a background image (cf. Mudlet where you used to chop and change pictures)
    - the entire lower control panel has been stripped and replaced with the box just right of the input (ping & button to open coding box)
    - the element between the main output and the input can be filled with anything, like you suggested (even this amazing thing  I used as my health display for a bit, click the link to watch this mesmerizing thing rotate forever - it is amazing)

Nothing else special in this sample but a few other reasons why Nexus is a lot more flexible than most players appreciate...

Almost anything you can do with a modern browser, you can implement in Nexus; imagine having access to 2-10 million people who to some degree or another use the coding language you write with - that is the true power of Nexus. Whilst people can quibble about the language style, bang-for-buck nothing is really competitive against that many man-hours being dedicated to it.

To do what you wanted, you can use native Javascript + jQuery functions to draw anything you like on screen, including a new 4-line console.

As a very simplified example:
    onLoad
     $('window').append('<div id="my_console"></div>')
     $('#my_console').text('Enemies: Iniar')

I'm not exaggerating when I say you can have literally anything you want; this gif above is my healthbar - css/javascript controls rotating the filling of the empty space on the left and right to represent health and mana, also controls the r/g/b/colour shading of the bar itself depending on the underlying values. More impressively is that that entire grey circle construct is draggable anywhere on the screen, if you so wish, even while it fills/empties based on your health/mana. It would be extremely difficult to replicate in Mudlet.

Additionally, if you visit here, this entire structure (entire sailing map as draggable/zoomable entity) can be embedded into Nexus as a mini window.

So when you ask how much can be done with customizing the GUI, the sky is the limit.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."