New Org.

2»

Comments

• Hah! Love it :D
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • NizarisNizaris The Holy City of Mhaldor
    Sena said:
    Sylvance said:
    @Nizaris - just to be clear, the 'Bob Charges' would not contain either Sam's or Tony's?
    It looks like they would, which makes matching identities much too easy, even if there's a rule against setting fake or frivolous charges (the rule would just mean they'd have to actually do something against the city in order for the fake identities to be near-useless).
    Hrm. Would, perhaps, having each mask name with it's own charges be overpowered? Each soul name would be a composite of all charges, though.

Any character enemied would still be enemied for purposes of guards and totems, regardless of charges earned or not earned for that mask name.
  • edited December 2012
    It would take me a few minutes to write a script that would track charges and tell me instantly when I look at Bob's charges that he's also Tony and Sam. Even without automating like that, it's still pretty easy with just keeping the charges in a text file or auto-logging and searching logs.

Edit: Didn't see the new page. I think each identity having separate charges would be fine, as long as the org polices its members well enough and punishes or kicks out anyone abusing it. If this is a normal class that doesn't require membership in the secret society, I'm not sure whether it would be a good idea, but I can't think of any obvious problems.
    @Sena: Yeah. This would require two mask names for plausible secrecy (one before and after raiding), but it would get the job done, I think. Enemy city would know that soul name and first mask name are the same, and that second mask name is one of the Masqueraders, but wouldn't know for certain which one.

As for policing, I vote that it be treated like guilds before auto-class. You step out of line, you get kicked out, and lose your abilities.

@Sylvance: Would also be cool if this was like a prestige class of sorts. You WEAR/REMOVE MASK (with a suitably long windup, like dragonform, to prevent OP combos in combat) to change name and class. Can therefore be in two houses, to play up the witch hunt/infiltration RP. Then, the question becomes: which persona is the real mask? :D
  • Nizaris said:
    @Sena: Yeah. This would require two mask names for plausible secrecy (one before and after raiding), but it would get the job done, I think. Enemy city would know that soul name and first mask name are the same, and that second mask name is one of the Masqueraders, but wouldn't know for certain which one.

As for policing, I vote that it be treated like guilds before auto-class. You step out of line, you get kicked out, and lose your abilities.

@Sylvance: Would also be cool if this was like a prestige class of sorts. You WEAR/REMOVE MASK (with a suitably long windup, like dragonform, to prevent OP combos in combat) to change name and class. Can therefore be in two houses, to play up the witch hunt/infiltration RP. Then, the question becomes: which persona is the real mask? :D
    I've gotta say, the two Houses thing would certainly be the Rolls-Royce version of this, but I think we'd be more likely to find crap beneath a rocking horse than that ever seeing the light of day :'(
  • Mask-names presumably could not be the names of other adventurers, which could make things rather frustrating for new players trying to create characters. More and more names would be taken.

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."
  • edited December 2012
    This is one of the reasons I would like mask names to be more akin to blades - that is, verb-noun or adjective-noun - basically, things which would not be allowed as names. ETA: does raise the question of 'shortnames', but I don't think that's a huge feat of engineering.
    @Sylvance: how would an opponent target a verb-noun or adjective-noun mask name? That is, if they are two words? I'm assuming a hyphen somewhere, perhaps? Or, just able to be targeted by the adjective/verb or just by the noun?

Oh, that's what you meant by shortnames. Hah.
    Ok. So, more thoughts.

In my mind, this would be a prestige class, whose skills are opened up via the purchase of an artefact "mask of shifting shadows" (sorry for cheesy name), much akin to a tailoring license. Cost of the artefact is mid-tier. Say, 400-500 credits. 

The mask is purchased solely by emailing artefacts@achaea.com, or perhaps by an IC method that involves discrete application directly to the game administration. While I would love it if the House could handle the applications, for the purposes of maintaining secrecy, I believe it important that members of the House do not know each member's true identity, and instead identify themselves via mask names only. This precludes the house having the opportunity to judge each character's background, and necessitates the involvement of the administration. The cost of the mask in credits merely pays for the admin time needed for this review. If the application is not accepted, the credits are not refunded (or at least, not all of them).

After approval, the mask is bestowed. Simply owning the artefact grants you no other abilities other than DON MASK. The mask will not show up in your inventory whether by APPRAISE or HOUSE INVENTORY methods. Ever.

When you don the mask, you project shifting shadows that create the illusion to others that you are QQ'ing, with a similar wind up time and rules regarding use for escaping combat. Taking damage would stop you from donning the mask. First person message while donning the mask would be about you projecting shadowy illusions to others that you are QQ'ing in order to cover yourself while the mask anneals to the flesh of your face.

When you finish wearing the mask for the first time, you are instantly transported somewhere else by the power of the shadows you commanded. Let's say the cave, or perhaps the House's Super Secret Hidden Bunker of Badassness.

Hereafter, when you remove the mask, you are transported back to wherever your character was before wearing it, with the same in-room message as coming into the realms (body appears in a flash of light and soul descends to fill it, etc). When you wear the mask, you appear to be QQ'ing, and are transported back to wherever your masked character was before taking the mask off the last time.

Once you have the mask, abilities are gained in the usual way: by spending lessons and learning skills.

Holding a stringent standard, this House will be called a Guild to evoke connotation of the risk involved: guild leadership and game administration possess absolute authority over your prestige class abilities, and the abuse of your power will result in their revocation. Caveat emptor. Et cetera. Not sure, yet, how I feel about artefact mask tradein for washouts, and lesson recovery.

Perhaps as a check to the above, and a method of slowing down further investment in case it's not a good fit: guild leadership is able to grant hard-coded permission to learn to fledgling, journeyman, and full class member levels for completion of induction requirement tiers.

Since the mask's shadows shift, one only ever owns one Truemask, who's identity shifts whenever the mask name is changed.
  • Still want this :'(
  • Nice idea Nizaris, but a couple of QWHO checks would quickly reveal who owns what mask.
  • oooh I forgot this thread existed! ^_^.

mmm How about a special races that are only accessible via quest or game interaction, thus not a selectable race in intro. One such race could be a concept of them despised by the populace (Tsol'teth perhaps?) and they would have the special ability to MASQUERADE AS <race> in order to hide their identity. Should their identity ever be discovered, all mobiles would become aggressive to them (except perhaps city guards). That should force some secret  RPz!!!