So I was sitting on my couch, eating dinner, while watching Little Witch Academia (great anime on Netflix) and there were a few times were Akko, the protagonist, references or utilizes trading cards featuring her role-model witch, Chariot Du Nord. The cards themselves were very cool and ornate looking, and each one had a blurb about Chariot and things she has done during her rise to power/stardom.
And that got me thinking: what if Achaea had a trading card system?
In my head, for simplicity sake, I picture something similar to Harry Potter--specifically the Chocolate Frog cards. How cool would it be to visit a denizen and buy a box that included a chocolate and a card that featured an Adventurer?
Some of my thoughts
- Packs would be purchased for gold by a denizen. Each pack would contain a chocolate (or whatever) plus one random card.
- Cards would feature adventurers; for the initial launch, each city-state could vote on one of their own to be immortalized on a card. Future "batches" or releases could utilize a game wide voting system held once or twice a real year, where a new 10 or so adventurers get added in. Perhaps an excited card enthusiast denizen could start up a shop in Delos, who will become the main point of contact.
- Those chosen for cards would send in a draft of what their pose would be on the front of the card, and a small blurb on the back; the blurb could be a small paragraph of one of their favorite memories, a speech, a joke--whatever fully encompasses their personality. Additionally, a marker noting the year or batch/set would be added to tell cards apart from eachother.
- Adventurers can be made into a card more than once (perhaps set a rule for no back to back picks), with each card being visually different, with a different blurb on the back--showing off different aspects of a character's life. One might be when they became the leader of their city, another might be when they first began their journey, another might be fighting monsters or casting a spell, etc.
- Once again, the cards themselves wouldn't do anything other than become a neat collectible. I suppose a battle function could be added in the future, if it is even possible, but I'd be happy with just collecting and trading with people.
- Rarities could be tagged on certain cards based on a person's notoriety or popularity in game. The more well known a person is, the higher their rarity. Other cards could be thrown into the "set" or "batch" to help offset rarities, to include Gods & Goddesses, well known denizens, or even locations/items if you want to break the mold from just people.
- Extras can be traded to people collecting or sold to card collecting denizens for smaller sums of gold. If rarities are added, the higher ones could sell for quite a bit--almost like a lotto system but nothing game breaking. There could even be quests involving trading cards around the world!
- Premium card packs could also be sold for a small sum of credits; premium packs might include multiple cards per box (3 or so?) to include promo or limited run cards ("Shiny Sarapis!"), along with a special chocolate that increases a random stat or provides an exp boost for an Achaean month. Something to offset the use of credits but is still fun and useful.
- Cards that immortalize a special event would be a fun prize too, reminding people of what they went through during an event.
Those are all my ideas so far. I think it would be a fun way to interact with everyone again, not just in our own cities.
MKO also have a version, called... Tri-something... Which played like Tetra Master from FF9.
I miss both of them
I had something halfway coded for the former at some point, ended up getting rid of it because meh.
I think having fun little keepsakes featuring names of people in game would be fun. A new player might collect a card and wonder how the adventurer is and actually travel to meet them and ask more questions or even seek mentorship. Fun RP ideas!