Surnames

Comments

• edited December 2012

Sar'vet is an old Ashtani line I think.

Forgot about Xanatov, don't think I've seen that mentioned. Other Cyrenese ones I can think of are Sparrow and Etienne.

EDIT:

Lisbethae Etienne Le'Murzen-Sparrow, Curanavos (female Tsol'aa).

She is a Noble in Cyrene.

I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • VayneVayne Rhode Island
    I have been working to build a distinctly Hashani family with the Valois, and have been satisfied with how it is coming along so far. It doesn't have the history like the Mhaldorian houses do, there were what four sanctioned ones if I remember correctly, but it is good to have a group of RPers who are responsible to family ties and devoted to a certain culture's RP. It has the potential to have a lot of influence in a city.
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    Xanatov was Cyrenian I think. But with Mhaldorian ties thanks to Vadimuses and Vasool.

• Sar'vets not old at all, and when it was created wasn't really a family name (or at least when it came to prominence).
  • edited December 2012
    I'm not hurt @Skye. It's not like you're my favorite e-child or the best thing to ever come out of my time in Cyrene. I'm not hurt at all by the fact that you feel the need to snub your e-family. NOT HURT AT ALL!

Can't have a thread about surnames without mentioning LastGoodbye. Bannor's great joke worn by horde of Cyreneians that don't realize irony of the name.
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    :(

*FEELS HORRIBLE NOW*

• HyperlithHyperlith San Fierro area, San Andreas
    Lighthawk.
    Shallam and Druid marriage. Not sure how prominently used it is these days.

• Eld said:
    Salindera said:
    I have mixed feelings about Atreide. On one hand, it is not common in the slightest, which I usually enjoy. On the other hand, it is blatantly OOC. Though it is OOC from the same source as much of the rest of the OOC names and places in the game, so I guess that is a bit redeeming.
    And here I'd assumed it was from Dune.

I've never read Dune and didn't realize that it even could be a reference before today. I can't tell if I win or fail as a nerd. 

and looking at the clan name, it probably is at least on some level a Dune reference, but I think I'll choose to deny that.

• Skye
     said:
    Incidently, how do you pronouce Sioraiocht?

I've been approaching it from Irish or Scottish Gaelic, so kinda like she-RHEE-och.

Xith said:

Let's turn this thread into a list of all the surnames instead.

Just looking around for a bit, here's some prolific ones Azon, Reverie, Rian, Rozzan, Devi, Darkthorne, Corten, Ar'kena, Rousseau, Bayt-al Azahn, Vallah, Lucoster. And maybe less so: Covraci, Hayabusa. With the Ni'Night, I've seen a few others like Ni'Choya, so I've tried to accept it as some form of Achaean 'of'
  • Are there any Ni'Choyas still around? Only one I think I've ever known of is Changcoix.
  • AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    @Eld - Morlana is technically still around, though looks like Ashtan finally replaced her as Ambassador.

Also, don't need a surname.  Just RP you are an awesome soccer/fútbol/football player.
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    No idea what De'Verres is, didn't come up with it. de Verres is French though...for something. Glass maybe?

• edited December 2012
    I knew a Sa'Rithven on my original char. @Inkarnette was her name. Likely, she'll never see this, but I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who remembers her. My char was Mhaldorian, but she and I would chat OOC about books and such. I was VERY surprised to learn how young she was at the time; the sort of books we discussed were such titles as 'Reading Lolita in Tehran.'

Edit: Back in the old Basilica, were some documents that described a Shallamese tradition of honouring people with prefixes added to their surnames. I imagine the system was meant to be something like a sort of heraldry-without-heraldry. This MIGHT explain why so many Achaean names have apostrophes in, either in imitation of this, or perhaps to mock it.
    Miin-aan baash kimini-sij-i-gan bitooyin sij-i-gan-i bukwayszhiigan = blueberry π
  • I'm just happy Van Helsing was mentioned.

Obviously Van Helsing is my favorite surname, but I appreciate and respect a handful of others such as Akechi, Lichlord, Aristata, Lucoster, Op'Shae, Corten, Longshanks, Hayabusa and reluctantly Rosseau.

Names I'm not too fond of are LastGoodbye, and Zuiho_Sho. Zuiho_Sho would probably not bug me so much if not for that underscore.

Surnames I don't care for as far as RP enemies and the like are Kindfire and Rosseau.

• Ognog's surname is "Negai". It's Japanese for "wish". Naturally, Ognog's windcutter is called the Negai Maru (Wish Ship).

• RuthRuth Singapore
    edited December 2012
    The only Sa'Rithven I know of is Nat before he switched surnames. Still on the thread of Shallamese surnames, Op'Shae (got ninja'd by Draqoom) is one of the memorable ones. Still remember Airy and Laras. Not sure about Crescent, but I know a few Crescents with the surname, i.e Veldrin, Nona, Liam.

The surname of 'de Rothschild', which I presume is Hashani-based and which a few wear will forever remind me of Scatter, not in a good way.
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• I really liked some of the old Shallamese surnames - often much more than the people wearing them. Lighthawk, Weltsdown, Sa'Rithven, Sioraiocht, etc.

• edited December 2012
    Though I'm not one of them, the Ravensong family has become a somewhat prominent and growing family within Hashan. They've got an impressive manor, active family clan, and some political power within Hashan (though that last part is due in large part with their connection to the des Valois family). Not to mention the family being gifted with the name by Twilight. I've loved interacting with the likes of @Aitox, @Verily, @Cinya, and @Vayne to name a few. The al-Aqrab surname, meaning scorpion, is simply a means of role playing a Mhun/Mhojave family name, though I don't expect it to become anything more than a personal story name for Corb. (Apologies! iPhone apparently doesn't apply spacing to paragraphs. Will fix later.)
    (Party): Mizik says, "This can't possibly go wrong."
  • Xith said:

I started the Riddle lineage using an obvious rip-off reference, but I like the feel of it for a jester, and so had my IC basis for it. Kind of an allusion to Xith's hidden complexity (which stays hidden primarily for me treat the ignorant, superficial people as my own private jokes in spite of me being their public joke).

I am glad to be the second Riddle.  :\">
    Every day sends future to past 
    Every breath leaves me one less to my last
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    The Fol'ia surname is not doing too badly actually. It is Pluvialis' legacy and not mine though.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • XerXer Langley
    Having Mhaldorian families be related to Mhaldorian politics would be quite interesting, and it makes the choice of being bloodlined a more serious decision than it seems to be for most of Sapience. I dunno if I want to try and join an existing family or try and make a new one myself though >.>
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    e^(iπ) + 1 = 0
  • Vastel for coolest surname.

• Ruth said:
    The only Sa'Rithven I know of is Nat before he switched surnames. Still on the thread of Shallamese surnames, Op'Shae (got ninja'd by Draqoom) is one of the memorable ones. Still remember Airy and Laras. Not sure about Crescent, but I know a few Crescents with the surname, i.e Veldrin, Nona, Liam.

The surname of 'de Rothschild', which I presume is Hashani-based and which a few wear will forever remind me of Scatter, not in a good way.
    Oh man, I'd forgotten about Scatter. The de Rothschild that tends to come to mind (and I think the progenitor of the name) is Hamel, who's still around from time to time. For Sa'Rithvens, surely you also know Keneanung, who's a Sa'Rithven-Si'Talvace.
  • Rovelda said:
    Do you both, Xith and Shahai, remember who you are family with?:

Tom Marvolo Riddle (31 December1926[9] – 2 May1998), later known as Lord Voldemort, was a half-blood wizard and considered to be the most powerful Dark Wizard of all time. He was the son of wealthy Muggle Tom Riddle Sr., and witch Merope Gaunt, who died shortly after childbirth

You got me. I'm the Half-Blood Jester. And the most powerful Dork Wizard of all time.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • My obtaining the Vastel surname predated and was entirely separate from my being bloodlined. I -applied- to be a Vastel.

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."
  • Whatever happened to the Alexandrians? I thought they were one of those big Cyrenian families?
  • Xer said:
    Having Mhaldorian families be related to Mhaldorian politics would be quite interesting, and it makes the choice of being bloodlined a more serious decision than it seems to be for most of Sapience. I dunno if I want to try and join an existing family or try and make a new one myself though >.>
    I think it is still an important decision. I chose mine because I liked them.