New RP City to join

I have come back to Achaea after an absence of about two years, looking to start over. I was wondering if I could obtain some suggestions about a city that would be good to get in with. My primary interests are bashing (trying to get Dragon) and House/City RP. I am decided on playing an Alchemist, so that obviously rules out a city or two as it is. 

Any help on suggestions as to a city, and why, for a good RP time and bashing, if that would be relevant, would be a great help.

Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• I maintain that Mhaldor has the best RP by far, compared to the other cities. However, its not for everyone. If you don't think you can handle being ordered around constantly and such, dont even consider it.

• Bashing to Dragon may be difficult right now.

You may want to catch up on current events. The Events posts are a damned good start.
  • AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    I'm sure he'll have plenty of time between now and whenever Dragon (or the equivalent) situation is resolved.

For once I'll recommend Shallam, it has house and city RP and we have the effigy for awhile (increased xp gain)

The Effigy of Victory is a statue that is traditionally bestowed upon the
    city-state that has won the most recent city vs city Capture the Flag game.
    For the city that holds the Effigy, its citizens level 10 and over receive a
    10% experience bonus whenever they gain any experience.
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    I'll echo @Achilles here, but only if you want to join a polarized city. Shallam has really started moving in a good direction lately, but it is still one part of the main axes of conflict.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • Conflict itself does not bother me, provided it is the good drama and not angsty drama. What I remember most, the years ago that I played however, was that being a newbie, regardless of your level, pretty much means your involvement in anything at all is minimal. Anybody under 90 years or so was completely ignored, so I suppose I am curious if that still holds true. Maybe I set my sights to high (in before "you need to MAKE yourself known, work and earn it, etc.), as I already understand the necessity to not just pop into existence and expect to have everybody in awe.

Shallam sounds intriguing, and I will admit that I never did set foot in there if it wasn't in a raid...
  • edited November 2012
    Don't fall into that trap. There's opportunities for youth and new players, and anyone who contributes is welcome. Make an active effort and push yourself, break from the norm, and you'll be amazed at what shows up.

Also helps to have a plan, and be diligent about getting there.

Honestly, it sounds like you might like Cyrene. It's a welcoming community, doesn't spend a lot of time focused on combat, and plays a unique role in balancing independence versus duty. @Tvistor mentioned a while ago how he noticed that when people leave Mhaldor they do it while flipping both birds, but when they leave Cyrene, they apologize - I think that was a testament to how inclusive the city tries to be, and the pride that many feel in their homes there.

It has its flaws, certainly. But I think you'd like it.

Also, I fully welcome and want to interact personally with all new Cyrenian Alchemists. Just throwing that out there.
  • RuthRuth Singapore
    House/City RP are extremely decent in the polarized factions, mainly: Mhaldor and Shallam.

I can't say much for Shallam and their Alchemist-accepting House (Crystalline Circle (?)) but Shallam and their ideals of upholding Creation have really been on the upward rise.

As for Mhaldor and Ebon Fist, I can say hands down that the atmosphere is one of the best that is offered in Achaea, simply for the fact that we prize the advancement of our citizens (Seven Truths et al). Expect to be treated like crap since you're a slave (i.e we demand your compulsory participation in city hunting for our Masters, you are to 'volunteer' yourself for the sarapin sacrifices) but you'll find that it becomes increasingly rewarding when you start getting recognized for your silent but hard work. The novices Mhaldor has at the moment are testament to that. The Ebon Fist also currently has a good number of House members as well, and we pride ourselves on being close-knit warriors. We look out for each other, and we help each other advance. As for alchs RP, Kaevan is a good embodiment of Alchemist RP in the EF, and so are a few people like Mikey, Glaen and Pazael.
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• The advice here has been fantastic. Thank you for what you have said, I am glad to see that the community still exists and is ready and willing to help!
  • I maintain that RP is truly where you make it.

Luckily, Mhaldor has a no-nonsense rule, which keeps out most of the OOC chatter about cookies and snuggles that you may find in other cities. Still, don't let that stuff deter you, I'd say ignore it.

You have to look into the history of your house, your city, why your char has chosen to take that route, and look into an order if you want solid RP and avoid the silly nonsense that spews from some peoples mouths. I really hated running through the forest and finding a random grove party where people were talking about OOC events and sprawled all over eachother, feeding cookies and the like. It's important to keep in mind that stuff happens, and just let it kind of evaporate in the background while you stay devoted to what you have chosen for yourself.

From what I have seen and experienced, Hashan is really bad with RP, nobody knows their history, alliances, purpose or reason, but they still act very selfish. Cyrene seems a very laid back place with plenty of people that will want to explore your char, and it should be simple enough that you can get to dragon in your free time, also, many divine and their followers seem welcome. Eleusis is much the same way, with a few arty tanks in the midst, so it would also be a good way to get into the raid scene while keeping yourself pretty much out of real conflict.

Ashtan likes to devour everything, lots of raiding to be had, and in the past it was pretty easy to advance in the city, all you had to do was raid or defend. You can also choose a stance of non-com very easily, and just continue about your day, hunting to dragon. Ashtan has had complicated RP in the past, which can be a good or bad thing depending how you view it. Chaos has been a big issue there, and there have been some amazing speeches and prophets on the subject that have always led to an amazing atmosphere.

Shallam will be the easiest of the more combat oriented cities to get into. Very helpful and many good teachers there, as well as a lot of assistance in learning all about things. Plenty of room to grow in RP, especially with how stout the belief system is. You can be from the biggest zealot to the most hated traitor, and everything in between. (same goes for Mhaldor in that respect)

Mhaldor is the most difficult city to plan in for starters, and at times even very advanced (combat-wise) players. You will not get a lot of time to hunt and make dragon, you'll be to busy dying. The orders.. order? is the most difficult to get into in the game, and one small mess-up could have you beheaded and shackled. Many people can not handle the abuse, and seem to think if they mess up once it's all over, but really it's all about seeing how they respond. It's very militaristic, very cruel, and a rather bland place to be if you don't know how to create your own RP and fun, because nobody is going to help you with that.

I guess I'll give my personal two cents, and I hope my descriptions of the cities were accurate enough.
    I'm Mhaldorian, and I love it. It's true what @Ruth said, every time I am awarded with a favor, I feel an immense sense of accomplishment, because earning those favors is tough. I have almost no friends, I have a lot of allies, twice as many enemies, and the relationship I have with housemates is sometimes caustic at best. That adds to my own complexity, because despite a deep feeling of anger towards my direct -allies- I know that I respect them and trust them completely with my life all the same.
    Like it's been said though, it's not for everyone. If you can't handle criticism or having people yell at you for the tiniest screw up, (Like forgetting to call a Knight "Sir") then don't bother with it. There are tons of ways to have fun in other places, Mhaldor is just fun to a few specific people.
    Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."
  • Ashtan = greyfaced combat people
    Mhaldor = roleplay
    Cyrene = the other kind of roleplay
    Shallam = light-worshipping holier-than-thou combat people
    Eleusis = forest people who occasionally are part of stuff
    Hashan = greyfaced commerce people with open gates

I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • Xith said:

Ashtan = greyfaced combat people
    Mhaldor = roleplay
    Cyrene = the other kind of roleplay
    Shallam = light-worshipping holier-than-thou combat people
    Eleusis = forest people who occasionally are part of stuff
    Hashan = greyfaced commerce people with open gates

Other Muds = actual multifaceted RP

• @Nizaris Har har, evil humor! We should make an Evil Joke Book.
  • Each city is what you make of it. There is excellent roleplay to be found in all of them, particularly if you demonstrate yourself to be an interested roleplayer.

So rather than advocate a particular city, I'll simply say that you should pick the one that interests you the most and give it a chance. To be blunt, you aren't locked in for life so if it just isn't working, you can just leave and try another.

"Gilgamesh, where are you hurrying to? You will never find that [everlasting] life for which you are looking. When the gods created man they allotted to him death, but life they retained in their own keeping. As for you, Gilgamesh, fill your belly with good things; day and night, night and day, dance and be merry, feast and rejoice. Let your clothes be fresh, bathe yourself in water, cherish the little child that holds your hand, and make your wife happy in your embrace; for this too is the lot of man." 

• edited November 2012
    Ruth said:

As for Mhaldor and Ebon Fist, I can say hands down that the atmosphere is one of the best that is offered in Achaea, simply for the fact that we prize the advancement of our citizens (Seven Truths et al). Expect to be treated like crap since you're a slave (i.e we demand your compulsory participation in city hunting for our Masters, you are to 'volunteer' yourself for the sarapin sacrifices) but you'll find that it becomes increasingly rewarding when you start getting recognized for your silent but hard work.

Aepas has really been the only one to actually treat me like a lowly Minion Slave that I expected. Everyone else has been neutrally "Need help? No? Ok." Maybe because Rajan is naturally self-sufficient, but only @Aepas really gave him the, "You're still a Minion? You barely passed your curing exam with the minimum requirements. Get off your ass and advance or bad things will happen to you." Was good stuff. <3
  • edited November 2012
    Aepas said:
    From what I have seen and experienced, Hashan is really bad with RP, nobody knows their history, alliances, purpose or reason, but they still act very selfish.

I thought that was Hashan RP. Whereas Cyrene is a neutral-good area where everyone always tries to get along with everyone else, to the point that running for office or contesting has people coming out in droves denouncing 'the lack of repsect in politics' and whatnot, Hashan is a neutral-dark place where everyone is out for themselves. House members and order members constantly trying to one up each other in city politics. Houses going to war with other Hashan houses or the city itself.

I always saw Cyrene as that small, isolated town where everyone knows your name and Hashan as the stereotypical 'big city' where people often trying to take advantage of one another, only coming together when it's practical to do so.

• VayneVayne Rhode Island
    Ah, I had not planned to defend Hashan here, but I missed Aepas's tidbit on Hashan before Tilly quoted it so I feel compelled to now:

Hashan has had a renaissance in the last couple years thanks to Twilight and some forward thinking leadership to regain its identity as the city of the night. It has been continued on quite well with our amazing and highly active and involved matron, Ourania. We do have a rich history and heritage revolving around Darkness, the Triad, and astronomy, and some other deep dark secrets that people rightly do not know about. We are subtler in our geopolitical dealings more inclined to underhanded deals and shifting alliances to benefit ourselves primarily. We have never been a big combat city but we had begun an active conflict against Shallam before the whole Bal'met thing kicked into gear. We are very political active internally, Twilight is the God of Intrigue and it reflects in his city. However, with a few hiccups from the recent total breakdown of the Darkwalkers, the city is for the most part unified. We also accept all classes and religions with a focus on knowledge and balance stemming from Darkness, but Devotionalists and Necromancers will quickly find their skills cut off by Shallam/Mhaldor.

• @Aepas Before the embers came, I would have disagreed with your opinion that Hashani are selfish. Now, I think you hit the nail on the head, on the selfish part at least
  • RuthRuth Singapore
    edited November 2012
    Rajan said:

Ruth said:

As for Mhaldor and Ebon Fist, I can say hands down that the atmosphere is one of the best that is offered in Achaea, simply for the fact that we prize the advancement of our citizens (Seven Truths et al). Expect to be treated like crap since you're a slave (i.e we demand your compulsory participation in city hunting for our Masters, you are to 'volunteer' yourself for the sarapin sacrifices) but you'll find that it becomes increasingly rewarding when you start getting recognized for your silent but hard work.

Aepas has really been the only one to actually treat me like a lowly Minion Slave that I expected. Everyone else has been neutrally "Need help? No? Ok." Maybe because Rajan is naturally self-sufficient, but only @Aepas really gave him the, "You're still a Minion? You barely passed your curing exam with the minimum requirements. Get off your ass and advance or bad things will happen to you." Was good stuff. <3</p>
    I should introduce @Tvistor to you.
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• Yes... sir?  #:-S
  • Wow. That was almost better than the time Rakon converted someone with DSL.
  • Mariki said:
    Yes... sir?  #:-S
    Yes Tyrannus to you, slave.
    Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."
  • What Xeno just did really does reflect the Maldaathi way. Here are your orders, hold your tongue, work hard, no drama. That is why I love them. The hardest Knighthood program and the most satisfying in my opinion.

• Daeir said:
    And always salute. If you bow to @Tvistor after he's warned you about it twice, you get your throat cut. Not a pleasant experience. So salute.

Such is the martial way. Bowing means you take your eyes off a potential opponent, leaving your guard down for a split-second. A split second that can cost you your life. A salute tells your opponent "I respect you, but do not mistake my respect for weakness. Ambush me at your peril."

If you must bow before combat, keep your eyes on your opponent while doing so, and keep your weapons at the ready. 

-From the Lectures of Templar Combat Etiquette, Sir Synbios Hagane, Y611

• I wish being tagged in a quote wouldn't send me notices.
  • Arador said:
    Synbios said:
    Daeir said:
    And always salute. If you bow to @Tvistor after he's warned you about it twice, you get your throat cut. Not a pleasant experience. So salute.

Such is the marital way. Bowing means you take your eyes off a potential opponent, leaving your guard down for a split-second. A split second that can cost you your life. A salute tells your opponent "I respect you, but do not mistake my respect for weakness. Ambush me at your peril."

If you must bow before combat, keep your eyes on your opponent while doing so, and keep your weapons at the ready. 

-From the Lectures of Templar Combat Etiquette, Sir Synbios Hagane, Y611
    And that is why I always salute my wife.

An anecdote from someone who did not have your wisdom:

We were in Sahart's, and we ordered some very delicious shrimp pastyl. We were talking about the usual things - plans for a house in the subdivision, funding for our children's education, driving the forces of Evil before us while their slaves wail and gnash their teeth, and a fishing trip in the high seas. It was idyllic. Just as our order was brought in, I made that mistake. I closed my eyes and bowed in front of my wife, indicating that she take the first bite, and when I opened my eyes again, she was holding the biggest warhammer I have ever seen forged. Before I could react, the hammerhead descended and all was white.

When I came to, I just learned that my wife divorced me, my children disowned me, my funds were legally appropriated by my wife and children, my House cast me out, my city enemied me, and I had twenty contracts on me. Also, my head really hurts.

This is the lesson for all those in a healthy loving relationship - saluting is the sincerest form of loving.

-Name redacted, as the speaker still has twelve more contracts in effect.